Do the Vikes have a chance?

A place to talk about sports, athletes and jock itch.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

gr8twhte
MSX Tour Support Act

Do the Vikes have a chance?

Post by gr8twhte »

The media seems to like the red-hot Cowboys. Although we're at home, the Vikings have been known to choke. What do you guys think?
Redman77
Beer & Titty King

Re: Do the Vikes have a chance?

Post by Redman77 »

saracapri wrote: It's true. I'm wild for buttsex.
ac/dc sucks
Headlining Clubs

Post by ac/dc sucks »

they got a great chance. not just this week, but whoever they play next week as well. i'll be surprised if they don't make the Super Bowl.
JakeYonkel
Headlining Clubs

Post by JakeYonkel »

The Cowboys don't and haven't impressed me. That said, I wouldn't be surprised at either team winning this weekend. Things seem to have been going downhill for Minn since the Childress/Favre 'war' but c'mon.... the Cowboys in the playoffs. C'mon.
chungasrevenge
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by chungasrevenge »

I would say no, but I was 0-4 with my picks last weekend.
Tymaster
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by Tymaster »

I'm riding the fence on this one.
Like Jake said: Wade Phillips and Tony Romo in the playoffs. :roll:
But, this whole "marriage" of of Childress and Favre seems to be heading to divorce court. This game could go either way.
LouDoo wrote:Neon has to be the most active poster who actually contributes the least, despite all the threads he starts. He has no redeeming value. He's completely useless.
thejuggernaut
Headlining Clubs
Location: Of course you can't stand gay people. Check out your own animated sig, you fucking idiot - Moggio

Post by thejuggernaut »

Of course the Vikes have a chance.

However, they have to commit commit commit to the run.

They LAST thing they need is to abandon the run when they aren't getting much.

The Vikes tackles vs Dallas' pass rush = a win for Dallas.

The Vikes' best plan is to run run run and, when passing, use quick hitters to Harvin with swings/screens to Taylor and Peterson and PRAY Favre doesn't pull his audible bullshit.
Tymaster

Post by Tymaster »

thejuggernaut wrote:Of course the Vikes have a chance.

The Vikes' best plan is to run run run and, when passing, use quick hitters to Harvin with swings/screens to Taylor and Peterson and PRAY Favre doesn't pull his audible bullshit.
Favre keeps his head out of his ass and doesn't throw picks like Vinny Testaverde in the 1987 Fiesta Bowl and the Vikings could win it all. And Brad Childress looks like a genius.

Favre does what he has been doing since winning the SB a century ago, and he goes back to the farm and Childress goes job hunting.

Time will tell.
LouDoo wrote:Neon has to be the most active poster who actually contributes the least, despite all the threads he starts. He has no redeeming value. He's completely useless.
Heenan Snuka
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by Heenan Snuka »

Vikings will win

31-24
Stoner wrote:
...we stopped at a restaurant to eat and I was wearing a Sludge shirt. Someone came up and asked me if I read the messageboard - I touched cloth for a split second and then said the shirt was my husband's and just looked at them retardedly.
BlizzardBass
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by BlizzardBass »

Th Queens will be down by 20 points by the end of the first quarter.
ROADHEAD

Post by ROADHEAD »

Finally, the Cowboys are peaking at the right time. The Vikings finished strong after a bit of a skid. Both teams have a great chance. Regardless of the outcome, I'm happy because the Packers are out. Besides, next year's superbowl will be a home game for Big 'D'.
poizond13
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by poizond13 »

In case you've missed it, AP is not the reason the Vikings are where they are right now. Brett Favre is the reason the Vikings are where they are. AP was not even in the top 5 of the league in terms of rushing yards or yards per attempt. Meanwhile, Favre has the 2nd best QB rating in the league and third best completion percentage. So Favre's "audible bullshit" as well as his overall play, is a main the reason the Vikings are where they are. Furthermore, the Cowboys are much better against the run than they are against the pass. So the Vikings are going to have to pass successfully in order to win this game.

As for a prediction, I think one of the loudest environments in the league will propel the Vikings to a victory. The metrodome will be going crazy, and I think Romo will slip back into his usual playoff woes.
DISCLAIMER: The below images were forced upon me against my will by the moderator and are NOT of my choosing.

ac/dc sucks
Headlining Clubs

Post by ac/dc sucks »

this philosophy has not worked at all. it just get's them in a hole.
they gotta spread it out and let Brett take 'em home. those recievers have really been outstanding.
thejuggernaut
Headlining Clubs
Location: Of course you can't stand gay people. Check out your own animated sig, you fucking idiot - Moggio

Post by thejuggernaut »

poizond13 wrote:

In case you've missed it, AP is not the reason the Vikings are where they are right now. Brett Favre is the reason the Vikings are where they are. AP was not even in the top 5 of the league in terms of rushing yards or yards per attempt. Meanwhile, Favre has the 2nd best QB rating in the league and third best completion percentage. So Favre's "audible bullshit" as well as his overall play, is a main the reason the Vikings are where they are. Furthermore, the Cowboys are much better against the run than they are against the pass. So the Vikings are going to have to pass successfully in order to win this game.

As for a prediction, I think one of the loudest environments in the league will propel the Vikings to a victory. The metrodome will be going crazy, and I think Romo will slip back into his usual playoff woes.
In case YOU'VE missed it, Favre and Childress had a blowup up because of Favre changing the plays.

In case you've missed it, when teams finally started to stack the box, forcing Favre to beat them, the Vikings started losing.

The Cowboys have a deadly pass rush and pass D now that they're healthy again, and the Vikings line is highly suspect.

Brett Favre's good behavior play, along with Peterson's rushing is why there were where they WERE on Dec 1.

Then, the old Brett Favre reappeared and they stopped being the dominant team they were from Sept-Dec 1.

And again with the crowd noise nonsense.
poizond13
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by poizond13 »

thejuggernaut wrote:
poizond13 wrote:

In case YOU'VE missed it, Favre and Childress had a blowup up because of Favre changing the plays.

In case you've missed it, when teams finally started to stack the box, forcing Favre to beat them, the Vikings started losing.

The Cowboys have a deadly pass rush and pass D now that they're healthy again, and the Vikings line is highly suspect.

Brett Favre's good behavior play, along with Peterson's rushing is why there were where they WERE on Dec 1.

Then, the old Brett Favre reappeared and they stopped being the dominant team they were from Sept-Dec 1.

Teams have been stacking the box against the Vikes ALL YEAR. That's no secret, and it's one of the reasons Favre has had an amazing season. I think the Cowboys will continue with this philosophy of stacking the box and making Favre beat them with his arm. AP clearly has not had a spectacular season because teams are shutting him down. This is why the Vikes should use the pass to open up the run later in the game. If they come out running the ball on first and second down, they will be playing right into the Cowboys game plan.

As for the audibles, that was a bunch of nonsense on Childress's part. He brought Brett Favre in and he knew what he was getting. Part of Brett's success is in knowing the offense and knowing when an audible should be called. The Vikings didn't lose any games because of Favre. They lost because of their unwillingness to go to the pass when the run wasn't working, and primarily because of their poor defensive play.

And anyone who thinks the metrodome crowd won't have an impact on the game is an idiot.
DISCLAIMER: The below images were forced upon me against my will by the moderator and are NOT of my choosing.

thejuggernaut
Headlining Clubs

Post by thejuggernaut »

ac/dc sucks wrote:

this philosophy has not worked at all. it just get's them in a hole.
they gotta spread it out and let Brett take 'em home. those recievers have really been outstanding.
Right, because even though they went 2-3 down the stretch when they essentially abandoned the running game, the philosophy wasn't working when it got them to 10-1.

At the end of November, Peterson was #3 in the league in rushing. He finished 5th.

December was least productive month because it's when teams started stacking the box and forcing Favre to throw, on account of Favre's WELL DOCUMENTED December meltdowns.

As of Dec 7, from 2005 on, Favre had thrown 36 interceptions and just 15 touchdowns in the last five games of the regular season, a differential of minus-21. In his first 11 games of those seasons, Favre's touchdown-to-interception differential was a gaudy plus-48, with 99 touchdowns and 51 interceptions. That's a swing of 69 clicks, making it fairly difficult to dismiss as a five-year trend. Or at least a trend of four years and one game.

You think it's one giant coincidence the Vikes started struggling as teams forced Favre to win the games ?
thejuggernaut
Headlining Clubs

Post by thejuggernaut »

poizond13 wrote:
thejuggernaut wrote:

Teams have been stacking the box against the Vikes ALL YEAR. That's no secret, and it's one of the reasons Favre has had an amazing season. I think the Cowboys will continue with this philosophy of stacking the box and making Favre beat them with his arm. AP clearly has not had a spectacular season because teams are shutting him down. This is why the Vikes should use the pass to open up the run later in the game. If they come out running the ball on first and second down, they will be playing right into the Cowboys game plan.

As for the audibles, that was a bunch of nonsense on Childress's part. He brought Brett Favre in and he knew what he was getting. Part of Brett's success is in knowing the offense and knowing when an audible should be called. The Vikings didn't lose any games because of Favre. They lost because of their unwillingness to go to the pass when the run wasn't working, and primarily because of their poor defensive play.

And anyone who thinks the metrodome crowd won't have an impact on the game is an idiot.
You know, they said monster of rock was the 40 year old version of P13 but I thought they were exaggerating. Turns out they weren't.

Yeah, what nonsense for the coach to expect the PLAYER to stick to the fucking gameplan. Favre doesn't know best when an audible should be called. It's one of the reasons he also holds the records for most INTs in a career. Favre's attempts in December were the highest of any month all year. It was also the Vikings' least successful month.

P.S. Road teams were 2-2 last week and clearly the noise didn't affect Green Bay - 45 points in an OT loss, with 2 false start penalties in the game, 1 for each team. God damn that crowd noise factor is HUGE.
bigbuttskinner
Headlining Clubs

Post by bigbuttskinner »

Favre knows the system better than Childress. The audible thing has been blown way out of proportion. It's still being used by people who don't know very much to try to make a point that the Vikings are going to lose. You're wrong. Favre and the Vikings will go all the way.
michelish wrote: VH album will be dropping first half of 2019. Album has been completed for a few months. They've been recording on and off since just after last tour.Finalizing title and artwork.
Nitrorulz wrote: I predict “The Dirt” will do double that.
referring to Queen movie
NeverSurrender

Post by NeverSurrender »

I'm not sure they'll win it all, but the ESPN hacks claiming they have no chance when they haven't lost all year there sound like idiots.
thejuggernaut
Headlining Clubs

Post by thejuggernaut »

bigbuttskinner wrote:Favre knows the system better than Childress. The audible thing has been blown way out of proportion. It's still being used by people who don't know very much to try to make a point that the Vikings are going to lose. You're wrong. Favre and the Vikings will go all the way.
Favre knows Childress' system better than Childress ?

Interesting.

What's ACTUALLY been blown out of proportion is Favre's supposed knowledge of the system.

Assuming the retarded notion that the west coast offense of Holmgren's was the same as Childress' (including terminology and protections), let's break it down.

Favre played 7 years for Holmgren.
1 for Ray Rhodes
2 for McCarthy

Childress had been gameplanning and teaching it for 10 years prior to Favre's arrival.

So, they each had 10 years experience in the system.

Now, you might say Childress learned his from Andy Reid who learned from Holmgren. That's fair. We also know Holmgren grew quite tired of Favre's refusal to listen to coaching.

Given Favre's fake retirements ie refusal to partake in training camp in recent history, I am pretty sure Childress knows the general west coast better than Favre, not to mention he knows HIS OWN variation of it a lot better.
Tymaster

Post by Tymaster »

thejuggernaut wrote:
bigbuttskinner wrote:Favre knows the system better than Childress. The audible thing has been blown way out of proportion. It's still being used by people who don't know very much to try to make a point that the Vikings are going to lose. You're wrong. Favre and the Vikings will go all the way.
Favre knows Childress' system better than Childress ?

Interesting.

What's ACTUALLY been blown out of proportion is Favre's supposed knowledge of the system.

Assuming the retarded notion that the west coast offense of Holmgren's was the same as Childress' (including terminology and protections), let's break it down.

Favre played 7 years for Holmgren.
1 for Ray Rhodes
2 for McCarthy

Childress had been gameplanning and teaching it for 10 years prior to Favre's arrival.

So, they each had 10 years experience in the system.

Now, you might say Childress learned his from Andy Reid who learned from Holmgren. That's fair. We also know Holmgren grew quite tired of Favre's refusal to listen to coaching.

Given Favre's fake retirements ie refusal to partake in training camp in recent history, I am pretty sure Childress knows the general west coast better than Favre, not to mention he knows HIS OWN variation of it a lot better.
I'm with Jug on this one. I don't care if you're Johnny Unitas or Joe Montana, you don't usurp you're head coach.
And when you look at all the interceptions Favre has thrown through the years.........................
Luminiferous
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by Luminiferous »

It's the playoffs....ANYthing can happen.

I'm pulling for the Vikes.
Tymaster

Post by Tymaster »

Luminiferous wrote:It's the playoffs....ANYthing can happen.

I don't care either way, I just want a good, entertaining game to watch.
But you sir are correct, ANYTHING can happen. That's why I was telling P13 not to start thumping his chest about the Colts. In the playoffs you, even as a fan, keep your mouth shut until game time, because anything can happen. The only good thing that came out of free agency: parity. Although team loyalty from players is long gone, and trades aren't nearly as exciting as they used to be. But with parity one team can go from the bottom to the top in one season, and that's cool. And also, there was a time when being a wild card team meant just about nothing. It meant some mediocre team got one more game. Now it means you have the same shot at the SuperBowl as everyone else, you just have to win one more game than a couple of other teams would have.
poizond13
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by poizond13 »

Tymaster wrote:

But you sir are correct, ANYTHING can happen. That's why I was telling P13 not to start thumping his chest about the Colts. In the playoffs you, even as a fan, keep your mouth shut until game time, because anything can happen. The only good thing that came out of free agency: parity. Although team loyalty from players is long gone, and trades aren't nearly as exciting as they used to be. But with parity one team can go from the bottom to the top in one season, and that's cool. And also, there was a time when being a wild card team meant just about nothing. It meant some mediocre team got one more game. Now it means you have the same shot at the SuperBowl as everyone else, you just have to win one more game than a couple of other teams would have.
Well I don't know why you're telling me that anything can happen. Believe me, as a Colts fan, this is a reality I've experienced several times. I can still feel the sting of the Colts getting wiped out of the playoffs in the divisional round 05 when the idiot liquored-up kicker missed a game tying field goal. The Colts were big favorites over the Steelers in that one. So believe me, I'm well aware that anything can happen. All I was saying is that I like the Colts' chances against the Ravens this weekend. Never did I say, never would I say, that it's a guaranteed victory.

UtahRatt

Post by UtahRatt »

Who the fuck let this little kid in the locker room?
poizond13 wrote:I have been very bummed out, sad and shocked for most of the night
Artemis2085 wrote:so I blurt out "I love you Paul!
Atomicpunk18 wrote:You see Black Crowes music has gotten me laid multiple times.
poizond13
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by poizond13 »

UtahRatt wrote:Who the fuck let this little kid in the locker room?
Who let this 45 year old non-sports playing virgin in the locker room?

UtahRatt

Post by UtahRatt »

poizond13 wrote:
UtahRatt wrote:Who the fuck let this little kid in the locker room?
Who let this 45 year old non-sports playing virgin in the locker room?

Says the 130lb limp wristed cheerleader who's closest sports experience is from the stands and gained all his knowledge from Wikipedia. You're a punk kid who's been a fan since 95? Jesus Christ waldo I've got cleats older then that.
poizond13 wrote:I have been very bummed out, sad and shocked for most of the night
Artemis2085 wrote:so I blurt out "I love you Paul!
Atomicpunk18 wrote:You see Black Crowes music has gotten me laid multiple times.
thejuggernaut
Headlining Clubs

Post by thejuggernaut »

poizond13 wrote:
Tymaster wrote:

Well I don't know why you're telling me that anything can happen. Believe me, as a Colts fan, this is a reality I've experienced several times. I can still feel the sting of the Colts getting wiped out of the playoffs in the divisional round 05 when the idiot liquored-up kicker missed a game tying field goal. The Colts were big favorites over the Steelers in that one. So believe me, I'm well aware that anything can happen. All I was saying is that I like the Colts' chances against the Ravens this weekend. Never did I say, never would I say, that it's a guaranteed victory.

It's good you can't formulate thoughts of your own and not rely on reciting Peyton Manning's comments.
SkyDog112046
Headlining Clubs

Post by SkyDog112046 »

Minnesota:
10-1 with Childress calling the shots
3-3 with Favre taking over the play calling

Favre isn't going to back down, and this is exactly the spot where he will go into gunslinger mode and have a meltdown. Dallas is a talented team that is playing well. As much as I can't stand the Cowboys, I think they will win this game.
thejuggernaut
Headlining Clubs

Post by thejuggernaut »

SkyDog112046 wrote:Minnesota:
10-1 with Childress calling the shots
3-3 with Favre taking over the play calling

Favre isn't going to back down, and this is exactly the spot where he will go into gunslinger mode and have a meltdown. Dallas is a talented team that is playing well. As much as I can't stand the Cowboys, I think they will win this game.
This.

IF Favre can dial himself down, they can be unstoppable. If Childress can drill it into his head that the ring on his finger came from LISTENING to the coach and following his plan to a tee, they can be unbeatable.

As for the people saying Favre's unwillingness to listen is blown out of proportion or not true, well, former teammates and coaches have all said the same thing.

So, either Mr "I'm too good to bother with training camp so I'll pretend to retire" divaboy is the troublemaker he appears to be, or there's one hell of a conspiracy between his former teammates and coaches.

Anyone who believes there's a conspiracy should bob for apples in a wood chipper.