Warner to Retire today

A place to talk about sports, athletes and jock itch.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

Crazy Levi
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Warner to Retire today

Post by Crazy Levi »

That's the word coming out of Arizona. He had a pretty sweet career, now he can go off into the sunset preaching all about Jesus and what not without the distraction of football.

I'd say Warner is an easy hall of famer at this point.

I would also say it was sweet that the Saints retired two old bastards in two weeks...although of course it's unlikely Farve retires.
thejuggernaut
Headlining Clubs
Location: Of course you can't stand gay people. Check out your own animated sig, you fucking idiot - Moggio

Re: Warner to Retire today

Post by thejuggernaut »

He deserves to get in, but if he gets in based on his credentials then they should drop the Terrell Davis nonsense and admit him as well.
Crazy Levi

Post by Crazy Levi »

thejuggernaut wrote:He deserves to get in, but if he gets in based on his credentials then they should drop the Terrell Davis nonsense and admit him as well.
What's the Terell Davis nonsense?

If it's based on longevity, I don't see what that has to do with Warner.

Warner took one of the worst teams in history, the Cardinals, to the superbowl, and then past the wild card round in the playoffs. And he did this late in his career, a decade after Davis retired.

Warner was borderline (as is Davis) 5 years ago. But I think his late career accomplishments easily push him over the edge.
bane
Threesome with Pam and Donna

Post by bane »

Not a bad run for a grocery store sacker. Not bad at all.
thejuggernaut
Headlining Clubs
Location: Of course you can't stand gay people. Check out your own animated sig, you fucking idiot - Moggio

Post by thejuggernaut »

Crazy Levi wrote:
thejuggernaut wrote:He deserves to get in, but if he gets in based on his credentials then they should drop the Terrell Davis nonsense and admit him as well.

Warner took one of the worst teams in history, the Cardinals, to the superbowl, and then past the wild card round in the playoffs. And he did this late in his career, a decade after Davis retired.

Warner was borderline (as is Davis) 5 years ago. But I think his late career accomplishments easily push him over the edge.

Warner has had 3 stellar years, 2 pretty good ones and a so so season.

In between that was 5 years of backing up and place holding.

TD didn't have the longevity Warner has had (how often do RBs ever match a Qb's longevity?), but his impact was just as meaningful, if not more so.
Crazy Levi

Post by Crazy Levi »

thejuggernaut wrote:
Crazy Levi wrote:

TD didn't have the longevity Warner has had (how often do RBs ever match a Qb's longevity?), but his impact was just as meaningful, if not more so.
In reviewing TDs stats...especially in the playoffs...yes he deserves to get in.

Doesn't have anything to do with Warner though. He should get in whether or not Davis does.
thejuggernaut
Headlining Clubs

Post by thejuggernaut »

Crazy Levi wrote:
thejuggernaut wrote:
Crazy Levi wrote:

In reviewing TDs stats...especially in the playoffs...yes he deserves to get in.

Doesn't have anything to do with Warner though. He should get in whether or not Davis does.

The debate over Warner centers on his small, but effective, body of work.

It's the same debate that centers on TD's candidacy.

They should be held to the same standards.
Crazy Levi

Post by Crazy Levi »

thejuggernaut wrote:

Actually I hold them to completely different standards. TD put up amazing stats over a very short period of time...3 years. Even for an RB that's short, especially if you are talking about hall of famers. I can't think of any other hall of famers whose effective career was that short.

Kurt Warner on the other hand had two very successful periods in his career, and they were 7 or 8 years apart.

You can make up whatever standards you want for Warner, but the fact is he put two completley different teams - the early 2000s Rams and the late 00 Cardinals, on the map. He had 4 fantastic seasons at QB spead out over a decade.

And again, anybody who puts two of the previously worst 2 teams in football into the Super Bowl should get in.

I think he will get in, and I don't think it will take long. TD I'm not so sure of.

Like I said, can you think of any other HOF running backs who had effective careers as brief as TD? His career blossomed in 96, 97, and 98, and was basically over by 1999 when his injuries started.
thejuggernaut
Headlining Clubs

Post by thejuggernaut »

Crazy Levi wrote:
thejuggernaut wrote:

Actually I hold them to completely different standards. TD put up amazing stats over a very short period of time...3 years. Even for an RB that's short, especially if you are talking about hall of famers. I can't think of any other hall of famers whose effective career was that short.

Kurt Warner on the other hand had two very successful periods in his career, and they were 7 or 8 years apart.

You can make up whatever standards you want for Warner, but the fact is he put two completley different teams - the early 2000s Rams and the late 00 Cardinals, on the map. He had 4 fantastic seasons at QB spead out over a decade.

And again, anybody who puts two of the previously worst 2 teams in football into the Super Bowl should get in.

I think he will get in, and I don't think it will take long. TD I'm not so sure of.

Like I said, can you think of any other HOF running backs who had effective careers as brief as TD? His career blossomed in 96, 97, and 98, and was basically over by 1999 when his injuries started.
TD helped the "original Bills" get over that colossal hump.

He's one of a select few to crack 2,000 yards.

He's been MVP, SB MVP, is a two time SB champion.

It's no doubt Warner's had an impressive journey, but that's just it - we're talking 4 fantastic seasons spread out over a decade. That itself is not HOF material, so we have to go by accomplishments.

Two different teams to the big one, no doubt about it it's impressive.

TD had 3 fantastic seasons in a row and blew his knee out and it was over.

In those 3 seasons he won 2 SBs.

On accomplishments alone, the edge certainly goes to TD since winning is the name of the game.

The real tragedy for BOTH is injuries. It was injuries that derailed Warner's career for a while, that's to Martz's ridiculous offense and Marshall Faulk's expected sharp decline.

It sure would have been nice to have watched Warner play for a stable team during those 5 years of nothing.

He should definitely get in, but then, Chris Carter should have been a first ballot lock, so who knows what the football "experts" known as writers will decide.
Crazy Levi

Post by Crazy Levi »

thejuggernaut wrote:
Crazy Levi wrote:
thejuggernaut wrote:

TD helped the "original Bills" get over that colossal hump.

He's one of a select few to crack 2,000 yards.

He's been MVP, SB MVP, is a two time SB champion.

It's no doubt Warner's had an impressive journey, but that's just it - we're talking 4 fantastic seasons spread out over a decade. That itself is not HOF material, so we have to go by accomplishments.

Two different teams to the big one, no doubt about it it's impressive.

TD had 3 fantastic seasons in a row and blew his knee out and it was over.

In those 3 seasons he won 2 SBs.

On accomplishments alone, the edge certainly goes to TD since winning is the name of the game.

The real tragedy for BOTH is injuries. It was injuries that derailed Warner's career for a while, that's to Martz's ridiculous offense and Marshall Faulk's expected sharp decline.

It sure would have been nice to have watched Warner play for a stable team during those 5 years of nothing.

He should definitely get in, but then, Chris Carter should have been a first ballot lock, so who knows what the football "experts" known as writers will decide.
It should be players and coaches who vote on this shit anyway, not writers.
thejuggernaut
Headlining Clubs

Post by thejuggernaut »

Crazy Levi wrote:It should be players and coaches who vote on this shit anyway, not writers.
Absolutely and completely agree %100 percent.
doctordestructo
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by doctordestructo »

Kurt Warner should be paying Rodney Harrison royalties for the hit on Trent Green's knee that took him from obscure benchwarmer to Super Bowl champ/League MVP status...
LAglamrocker
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by LAglamrocker »

he was my favorite player since John Elway retired...I jumped on the Rams and Arizona bandwagons proudly
Jani Lane and Bret Michaels should form a band called "Nelson II"
SkyDog112046
Headlining Clubs

Post by SkyDog112046 »

Define irony:

The QB that should still be playing retired.

And the QB that should retire will jerk everyone around until training camp and then play another season.
Machado
"Thread Vaginosis"

Post by Machado »

leinart can now begin his career as a mediocre NFL starting qb.
Garbageman
Trashsocioculturist
Location: This is gonna be one hell of a horse race, cuz I'm riding a cheetah!

Post by Garbageman »

Crazy Levi wrote:Even for an RB that's short, especially if you are talking about hall of famers. I can't think of any other hall of famers whose effective career was that short.
Remember how fast Earl Campbell burnt out?

Warner was a good QB and good human interest tale... despite his being so overly religious. It may be one of the best stories in NFL history! Throw in how he took two doormat teams to the Super Bowl and made a hated owner in Georgia Frontiere liked by Ram fans and it's a better story.

I always liked seeing his arena highlights where the Iowa Barnstormer helmets reminded me of Rommel! And then they'd show the Mrs... the Barbara Bush of quarterback wives who was always good for a laugh.
radiobed wrote:The bottom line is Sleek is so far from credible when discussing Poison and their impact.
"I had to work hard for my yacht. I even played with Don Dokken." Bobby Blotzer
Garbageman
Trashsocioculturist
Location: This is gonna be one hell of a horse race, cuz I'm riding a cheetah!

Post by Garbageman »

And now add the cards to teams who may be interested in trading for McNabb!
radiobed wrote:The bottom line is Sleek is so far from credible when discussing Poison and their impact.
"I had to work hard for my yacht. I even played with Don Dokken." Bobby Blotzer
murdercitydevil08
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by murdercitydevil08 »

Garbageman wrote:And now add the cards to teams who may be interested in trading for McNabb!
Larry Fritzgerald and Bolden are not to happy with this
decision.

Kurt Warner diffently headed to the Hall of Fame.....
Crazy Levi

Post by Crazy Levi »

Garbageman wrote:
Crazy Levi wrote:Even for an RB that's short, especially if you are talking about hall of famers. I can't think of any other hall of famers whose effective career was that short.
Remember how fast Earl Campbell burnt out?
no, he retired when I was 10.

But looking at his stats, he still had twice as long as a great back than TD did.

And now he can't walk.
hammerheadshark74
Opening for Slaughter

Post by hammerheadshark74 »

Crazy Levi wrote:

Absolutely, he should be a shoe in if anybody ever was....he took two terrible teams (before him) to three Super Bowls, owns the greatest SB stats by any QB in Super Bowl history for the three he played in, always had his team up when he left the field in each of those (defense lost the two he didn't win, almost the other one as well), and owns several NFL records in the "short time" that he did play....one of the greatest QBs who ever played IMO, he's was Marino with the SBs....with the Cardinals, the guy not only had to stay ahead of the oppsing team, but his own defense as well, almost every game the d would lose it or come close even if he'd put up 40+ points, lol....I hated to see him retire....but what more could he do really? Happy he left with his health...
UtahRatt

Post by UtahRatt »

Kurt is working for God now, peace be with you.
poizond13 wrote:I have been very bummed out, sad and shocked for most of the night
Artemis2085 wrote:so I blurt out "I love you Paul!
Atomicpunk18 wrote:You see Black Crowes music has gotten me laid multiple times.
Tymaster

Post by Tymaster »

UtahRatt wrote:Kurt is working for God now, peace be with you.
ROTFLMAO.
I get sick of sports praising God. God has bigger fish to fry than the NFL or the NBA.
LouDoo wrote:Neon has to be the most active poster who actually contributes the least, despite all the threads he starts. He has no redeeming value. He's completely useless.
MurrayFiend

Post by MurrayFiend »

Tymaster wrote:
ROTFLMAO.
I get sick of sports praising God. God has bigger fish to fry than the NFL or the NBA.
Exactly. He's saving most of his energy for the NHL.
HeavyMetalZombie666 wrote:Any chicks on this board like Sean Connery or Roger Moore?
UtahRatt

Post by UtahRatt »

MurrayFiend wrote:
Tymaster wrote:
ROTFLMAO.
Exactly. He's saving most of his energy for the NHL.

I think you meant to say "women's curling".
poizond13 wrote:I have been very bummed out, sad and shocked for most of the night
Artemis2085 wrote:so I blurt out "I love you Paul!
Atomicpunk18 wrote:You see Black Crowes music has gotten me laid multiple times.
MurrayFiend

Post by MurrayFiend »

God's a big Sweden fan, is he?
HeavyMetalZombie666 wrote:Any chicks on this board like Sean Connery or Roger Moore?