Late-starters in sport

A place to talk about sports, athletes and jock itch.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

RichHolt
Headlining Clubs

Late-starters in sport

Post by RichHolt »

Every sport these days seems to require you to start at about 8-10 years old if you wish to be successful at it.
Take motor racing for example... if you're not Karting by 12, you will never get anywhere. Football, you gotta play in school from a young age and join a club. Basketball, the same as football.

Which modern high-payed sports stars actually didn't take up their sport until maybe 15-20?
johnk5150
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Re: Late-starters in sport

Post by johnk5150 »

RichHoltGuitar wrote:Every sport these days seems to require you to start at about 8-10 years old if you wish to be successful at it.
Take motor racing for example... if you're not Karting by 12, you will never get anywhere. Football, you gotta play in school from a young age and join a club. Basketball, the same as football.

Which modern high-payed sports stars actually didn't take up their sport until maybe 15-20?
Julius Peppers didn't want to play football until his high school coaches made him.
He's like the Liberace of bass & pot.

$tevil
Crazy Levi

Post by Crazy Levi »

I didn't start playing football till freshman year of high school, and went on to an undistinguished 4 year career.

I'm not saying I went all pro or anything but in the end only one guy on the team made got a college scholarship and made the pros so what difference does it make anyway.

You don't need to be Todd Marinaviched from the womb to go on to play sports.

Your sport is being a hair metal has been and playing in some shitty band...that should probably be your focus...I don't see what kind of bizarre sports aspirations you have. You want to play for Manchester United?

Like .001 % of people who play sports have that kind of success, you might want to set your sights a little lower, and just do it for fun and to stay in shape.
MickeyG
Doing 20 Questions with Metal Sludge

Post by MickeyG »

Amy Williams, Britain's Olympic Skeleton Gold Medalist, started in the sport in 2002 aged 20. Before that, she was a 400m runner.
ParaDime77

Post by ParaDime77 »

Hasheem "The Bust" Thabeet only played one year of organized high school basketball.
Everyone Is Someone Else's Bitch
KillDevilHill
Headlining Clubs

Post by KillDevilHill »

MickeyG wrote:Amy Williams, Britain's Olympic Skeleton Gold Medalist, started in the sport in 2002 aged 20. Before that, she was a 400m runner.
Sooo many winter olympic athletes have to same story
Mr Yellow Discipline wrote:Somebody please post more videos of girls getting set on fire.
JRA wrote: I did like how they took the piss out of readers. Fuck books and fuck them.
BozoMcMetal
Headlining Clubs

Post by BozoMcMetal »

Bas Rutten was 28 before competing in MMA, Randy Couture was 35. Both are 2 of the greatest of all time.
RichHolt
Headlining Clubs

Post by RichHolt »

Crazy Levi wrote:I didn't start playing football till freshman year of high school, and went on to an undistinguished 4 year career.

I'm not saying I went all pro or anything but in the end only one guy on the team made got a college scholarship and made the pros so what difference does it make anyway.

You don't need to be Todd Marinaviched from the womb to go on to play sports.

Your sport is being a hair metal has been and playing in some shitty band...that should probably be your focus...I don't see what kind of bizarre sports aspirations you have. You want to play for Manchester United?

Like .001 % of people who play sports have that kind of success, you might want to set your sights a little lower, and just do it for fun and to stay in shape.

I have no sports dreams, i was just wandering. My greatest aspiration for sport ended within a day of starting... i rented a Kart for an official race weekend, having become licensed, and while i won the race (turned out that Oliver-someone kid who is now sponsored by McLaren in the way Lewis Hamilton was, was right behind me), i couldn't afford to continue.

I am still officially licensed to race, so if i get £800 to rent a Kart and fuel it for a weekend, i may, but i am a little tall and muscular for it now. Why dream of motor racing stardom if it costs so much and i am not the right build to do so. If i was gonna get anywhere in racing, i would have to ride with hillbillies in NASCAR when i move over to the US at 18-20.
MickeyG

Post by MickeyG »

KillDevilHill wrote:
MickeyG wrote:Amy Williams, Britain's Olympic Skeleton Gold Medalist, started in the sport in 2002 aged 20. Before that, she was a 400m runner.
Sooo many winter olympic athletes have to same story
The lad wanted examples, give him some.
MickeyG

Post by MickeyG »

Kevin Moran played Gaelic Football in Ireland before being spotted by a Manchester United scout at age 22 in 1978. This would be unheard of now.

Kevin was the first player to be sent off in an FA cup final in 1985.
johnk5150

Post by johnk5150 »

ParaDime77 wrote:Hasheem "The Bust" Thabeet only played one year of organized high school basketball.
I'm not sure what he's doing for the Grizzlies right now qualifies as playing basketball. Jesus does he look lost. And it ain't rocket surgery.
He's like the Liberace of bass & pot.

$tevil
PowerSlaveToTheGrind
Made the Devil Cry

Post by PowerSlaveToTheGrind »

Bruno Senna only started racing when he was 21, although he did race karts up to age 10. The name may have helped him a bit too.

Vitaly Petrov also had an interesting rise to the top. Started racing in the Lada Cup age 17, then did Formula Renault, then more Ladas, then Euro F3000, then GP2 and now Formula 1.
RichHolt
Headlining Clubs

Post by RichHolt »

PowerSlaveToTheGrind wrote:Bruno Senna only started racing when he was 21, although he did race karts up to age 10. The name may have helped him a bit too.

Vitaly Petrov also had an interesting rise to the top. Started racing in the Lada Cup age 17, then did Formula Renault, then more Ladas, then Euro F3000, then GP2 and now Formula 1.
Someone who speaks my language...

Yes, but let's not forget Bruno had actually won junior championships, then hsi name carried a message. Everyone wanted to sponsor him just cos of the name.
Petrov comes from a rich-ass background, so found what he wanted. We must observe that both these drivers are on thin ice this year. It was a scary image at Bahrain at the weekend to see Bruno int he car.... when he retired i actually felt like i was seeing Ayrton. Sure, Ayrton died before my time, but i am a pretty big F1 nerd (never mentioned it, cos sludge wouldn't care) and have become used to him through the web.

Taku is anothere example. He was a Jap BMX champ, but only started karting at 19, with some inherited cash. He may never have been a winner, but he was a character and a well-known face in F1. I believe his years and years of testing, plus the fact he is a Japanese national hero (in the way Aguri was, depsite never winning much) has given him a few million, too.
Also, Bruno broke his ribs at 21, cos he wasn't used to the jolts of the kart, and it's a big difference if you don't become accustomed from a young, growing age.

If i came into some money, then i would strongly consider restarting karting, but i am too tall to even have a freak chance of reaching F1. i am 6ft2 and a good chunk of muscle - even Schuey is only 6ft, and DC is about 6ft1. If i was a 'motorsportist' i would have to settle for touring cars and GT, or move to USA and join all the fatties in NASCAR.
Cyber Spirit

Post by Cyber Spirit »

Greg Norman started playing golf at 17.
Heenan Snuka
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by Heenan Snuka »

I've heard quite a few instances of Latin American ballplayers who first picked up a glove between ages 14-16 in their native countries, and eventually made it to the Big Leagues
Stoner wrote:
...we stopped at a restaurant to eat and I was wearing a Sludge shirt. Someone came up and asked me if I read the messageboard - I touched cloth for a split second and then said the shirt was my husband's and just looked at them retardedly.
Fast_Eddie_Schenker
Signed One Album Deal on Indy Label

Post by Fast_Eddie_Schenker »

Sergei Nicolishen (sp?) was a very good NHL'er for a few years. He never even held a hockey stick till he was 16 years old. He was living in Siberia, and eventually the Soviets sent a coach/scout to his town to start a hockey program.
WTF
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by WTF »

Heenan Snuka wrote:I've heard quite a few instances of Latin American ballplayers who first picked up a glove between ages 14-16 in their native countries, and eventually made it to the Big Leagues
but was that REALLY how old they were?

And Hasheem Thabeet....Even thought the UConn Huskies sucked it this year, it is obvious why Thabeet left early. He was ready. HAHAHAHA. :lol: