Well, football is over

A place to talk about sports, athletes and jock itch.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

Crazy Levi
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Well, football is over

Post by Crazy Levi »

The only sport I give two fucks about is gone for another 7 months...while the fucking hockey, baseball, and NBA seasons seem to last for fucking ever. Pitchers and Catchers report in a couple weeks, right? Holy fuck.

Lame.

And everyone seems to think these assholes are going to fuck up next season with a lockout. I of course side with the players. The owners do nothing but get fabulously rich while the players end up cripples for life. And the owners don't want to open their books for it to be clear how amazingly rich they are.
NeverSurrender

Re: Well, football is over

Post by NeverSurrender »

Poor you.......

I got the NCAA tourney to look forward to. The NCAA lacrosse tourney which my team should be right in the middle of both. The NHL playoffs, and the minor league hockey playoffs wherever you may live.

And of course, the most beautiful thing in the world........Dodger Blue.
dtmfs
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by dtmfs »

Basbeball kicks ass and the Daytona 500 is right around the corner as well, I love football but it's hardly the be all end all.
Tenacious_Dio
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by Tenacious_Dio »

Crazy Levi wrote:The only sport I give two fucks about is gone for another 7 months...
I concur. At least the the draft coming up. I might catch a little NBA or NASCAR, but I don't care about that stuff half as much as I used to.
eddie lee roth
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by eddie lee roth »

Crazy Levi wrote:The only sport I give two fucks about is gone for another 7 months...

And everyone seems to think these assholes are going to fuck up next season with a lockout. I of course side with the players. The owners do nothing but get fabulously rich while the players end up cripples for life. And the owners don't want to open their books for it to be clear how amazingly rich they are.
I'm with ya I hate when the season ends.
And you know the owners are full of shit how in the fuck could you lose money?
I just read that Jon Bon Jovi offered 150 million to the owner of the Falcons for a 15% ownership and the owner said not gonna happen.
Who puts up that kind of money for something that they claim is bound to go in the red.
MurrayFiend

Post by MurrayFiend »

Not sure why I got so into the NFL this year, but yeah, Sundays aren't going to be the same for quite some time. Looking forward to baseball, though.
HeavyMetalZombie666 wrote:Any chicks on this board like Sean Connery or Roger Moore?
Machado
"Thread Vaginosis"

Post by Machado »

Crazy Levi wrote:The only sport I give two fucks about is gone for another 7 months...while the fucking hockey, baseball, and NBA seasons seem to last for fucking ever. Pitchers and Catchers report in a couple weeks, right? Holy fuck.

Lame.

I also side with the players. If the accounting books were really wide open for all to read, more football fans would side with the players.
I am very much against the 18 game regular season.
Players will subject themselves to more serious injuries if 18 games are now played during the regular season.
Greedy owners think that "giving up" 2 exhibition games will allow them to add those two game to the reg. season.
I don't think so.

Bottom line-The disagreement is all about money. What else is new!

I do agree with a rookie salary cap.
Time to do away with the tens of millions paid to unproven rookies based on what they accomplished as a collegiate player.
B.S.
Make the minimum for a couple years and then the player deserves a raise.
NeverSurrender

Post by NeverSurrender »

The players will cave on the 18 game schedule when they are compensated for the extra 2 games. Mark it down.
LAglamrocker
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by LAglamrocker »

things better then the NFL

1. Road to Wrestlemania
2. March Madness
3. AVP tour stops in southern california
4. Lakers playoffs
5. Kings and Ducks 10-20$ good tickets
Jani Lane and Bret Michaels should form a band called "Nelson II"
Tenacious_Dio
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by Tenacious_Dio »

LAglamrocker wrote:things better then the NFL

1. Road to Wrestlemania
2. March Madness
3. AVP tour stops in southern california
4. Lakers playoffs
5. Kings and Ducks 10-20$ good tickets

Swing and a miss.
LAglamrocker
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by LAglamrocker »

nope thats a grandslam and baseball sucks
Jani Lane and Bret Michaels should form a band called "Nelson II"
Tenacious_Dio
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by Tenacious_Dio »

Whatever floats your boat.
MurrayFiend

Post by MurrayFiend »

Wrestlemania? Seriously? Fuck right off.
HeavyMetalZombie666 wrote:Any chicks on this board like Sean Connery or Roger Moore?
Crazy Levi

Post by Crazy Levi »

Machado wrote:I do agree with a rookie salary cap.
Time to do away with the tens of millions paid to unproven rookies based on what they accomplished as a collegiate player.
B.S.
[/color]
I could get behind this. It's also something the current players - the ones who will be voting on the contract - can get behind, because hey, they already made their rookie money.
bane
Threesome with Pam and Donna

Post by bane »

Crazy Levi wrote:
B.S.
[/color]
I could get behind this. It's also something the current players - the ones who will be voting on the contract - can get behind, because hey, they already made their rookie money.
They'll end up putting a rookie cap in, but I question the fairness of it. An NFL career is short. A running back's career could be over before he ever got past his rookie contract. It's really not comparable to the other pro leagues because of the lack of guaranteed contracts and the short duration of most careers. A cap could work if it was on a sliding scale based on average career duration by position I guess, but for a lot of guys that rookie
money is the only big payday they ever get.
Machado
"Thread Vaginosis"

Post by Machado »

bane wrote:
Crazy Levi wrote:
B.S.
[/color]
They'll end up putting a rookie cap in, but I question the fairness of it. An NFL career is short. A running back's career could be over before he ever got past his rookie contract. It's really not comparable to the other pro leagues because of the lack of guaranteed contracts and the short duration of most careers. A cap could work if it was on a sliding scale based on average career duration by position I guess, but for a lot of guys that rookie
money is the only big payday they ever get.
I understand what you say there. I think your point about a sliding scale could work out.
What should happen for NFL players because of the reasons you gave, GUARANTEE the fucking contracts.
I wonder if NFL players would agree to a rookie salary cap, as long as the contracts were Guaranteed.
its true, an NFL player's career can end on any given play.
the sport is very violent and right now these contracts can be terminated at any time. its a sham, a joke and that rule should be changed for
the benefit of the players.
both sides could compromise a little.

the days of some Rookie QB that supposedly was great in college earning $35 million in guaranteed money(a signing bonus) should be over.
Subhuman Yeti
Headlining Clubs

Post by Subhuman Yeti »

Well, football is over

Applause!
"Afraid that the people might ask for a little more than the shit they get..."
bane

Post by bane »

The owners would lose a lot more money by guaranteeing contracts than they'd save on this cap thing. I don't see any way that happens. When you compare it to other pro sports, NFL players really do get shafted.
Machado
"Thread Vaginosis"

Post by Machado »

bane wrote:The owners would lose a lot more money by guaranteeing contracts than they'd save on this cap thing. I don't see any way that happens. When you compare it to other pro sports, NFL players really do get shafted.

fuck yes the players are treated very poorly compared to other sports.

who is to blame?
the players or the players rep or the owners???

listen, the game needs a lot of fixing and i hope the process begins with
the new CBA.
which fans want an 18 game reg season schedule, only to see more key players on the IR because of injuries sustained during the 18 games.
i've read about the possibility of adding another "bye week" to allow players more time to rest/recover, but c'mon now.
that only extends the season further. how many months does the NFL plan to play? 8 months-
NO NO NO
bane

Post by bane »

I agree that the CBA needs some tweaks, but I have a hard time feeling much sympathy for the owners. Some of those guys invested a hundred grand in their teams initially. Most of those teams are worth close to a billion now.
Subhuman Yeti
Headlining Clubs

Post by Subhuman Yeti »

Fault?
the players and the players rep and the owners

18 games won't kill anyone. :lol:

Look at how many dozens of more games NHL teams play every boring season, how many NHL teams have varied back-to-back road games all season long and how much all out brawling is encouraged aoart from actual game play.

If NFL or NBA players even start to fight or even seem to talk too much shit they are penalized, fined, suspended and/or treated like misbehaving children.

A few more games added to the 'making even more money is really the only important thing' NFL season won't start killing players like the WWE does.

If it does, I'll admit it that 18 is probably not a good idea, so they should start playing 20 games a season, with a few rare back-to-backs and also play some regular season games in foreign countries with zero air quality control.
SkyDog112046
Headlining Clubs

Post by SkyDog112046 »

The other sports are fun in spots but none compare to the NFL. Each team plays once a week so all the games matter, not like say MLB where if you miss a few games you didn't necessarily miss much.

The NFL really has no equal. The whole build up to opening weekend and then the way each game counts and the playoff races start from the get-go right up to what I think is the absolute peak of Wild Card and Divisional weekends. It's almost anti-climatic by the time the Superbowl arrives.

I'm already looking forward to draft day.
Crazy Levi

Post by Crazy Levi »

SkyDog112046 wrote:The other sports are fun in spots but none compare to the NFL. Each team plays once a week so all the games matter, not like say MLB where if you miss a few games you didn't necessarily miss much.

The NFL really has no equal. The whole build up to opening weekend and then the way each game counts and the playoff races start from the get-go right up to what I think is the absolute peak of Wild Card and Divisional weekends. It's almost anti-climatic by the time the Superbowl arrives.

A team with a losing record made the playoffs and made history in the NFL this season.

In the NHL, that's usually called "third place."

I don't see why they even bother with the regular season in the NHL.
Machado
"Thread Vaginosis"

Post by Machado »

Crazy Levi wrote:
SkyDog112046 wrote:The other sports are fun in spots but none compare to the NFL. Each team plays once a week so all the games matter, not like say MLB where if you miss a few games you didn't necessarily miss much.

A team with a losing record made the playoffs and made history in the NFL this season.

In the NHL, that's usually called "third place."

I don't see why they even bother with the regular season in the NHL.
i am not a fan of the NHL, but that is one league that may benefit from reducing the number of regular season games.
their season is probably 6-8 weeks to long.
does anybody agree??
Last edited by Machado on Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bane

Post by bane »

Other than World Cup, the NFL has no rival. It's not even close. I was doing a little research on team worth and saw that the Cowboys are worth 1.8 billion. Manchester United is the only franchise in the world worth more. That's pretty impressive. I really hope the owners don't fuck it up with this lock out thing.
Tenacious_Dio
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by Tenacious_Dio »

Machado wrote:i am not a fan of the NHL, but that is one league that may benefit from reducing the number of regular season games.
their season is probably 6-8 weeks to long.
does anybody agree??
Both the NBA and NHL would be much better with a 50-60 game season.
Subhuman Yeti
Headlining Clubs

Post by Subhuman Yeti »

Do you want a bowl to drool in during the offseason?
Machado
"Thread Vaginosis"

Post by Machado »

bane wrote:I agree that the CBA needs some tweaks, but I have a hard time feeling much sympathy for the owners. Some of those guys invested a hundred grand in their teams initially. Most of those teams are worth close to a billion now.
Regarding the upcoming "lockout", I laugh each time
the NFL Commish says, "the fans want an 18 game schedule".
Oh really-Which fans has he spoken with?
Let me tell you something Roger, what the NFL fans really want is not
to be charged full prices for exhibition games.
Am I right???
Every season teams have 2 or 3 home exhibition games and every year the owners charge full price for those games.
GREED!!!
Obviously this topic won't be mentioned by Roger or the owners.
And the media is too damn lazy to make this a topic of discussion as well.
bane

Post by bane »

Machado wrote:
bane wrote:I agree that the CBA needs some tweaks, but I have a hard time feeling much sympathy for the owners. Some of those guys invested a hundred grand in their teams initially. Most of those teams are worth close to a billion now.
Regarding the upcoming "lockout", I laugh each time
the NFL Commish says, "the fans want an 18 game schedule".
Oh really-Which fans has he spoken with?
Let me tell you something Roger, what the NFL fans really want is not
to be charged full prices for exhibition games.
Am I right???
Every season teams have 2 or 3 home exhibition games and every year the owners charge full price for those games.
GREED!!!
Obviously this topic won't be mentioned by Roger or the owners.
And the media is too damn lazy to make this a topic of discussion as well.
Yep. They are definitely greedy bastards. Two extra games wouldn't break my heart. I'm pretty indifferent about it, but more football isn't a bad thing. I think they'd have to expand rosters or something to pull it off though and that extra bye week would probably have to happen. That's a loooooong season for those guys to try and get through healthy. That could be, what, 22 games plus a couple of exhibitions for a super bowl team? That's a lot of football.
Redman77
Beer & Titty King

Post by Redman77 »

LAglamrocker wrote:things better then the NFL
1. Road to Wrestlemania

It's fake you know™

I mean wrestling, not your gayness.
saracapri wrote: It's true. I'm wild for buttsex.