R U ready for some FOOTBALL?! CFL football that is...

A place to talk about sports, athletes and jock itch.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

WOLF
Cockblocked by Poison

R U ready for some FOOTBALL?! CFL football that is...

Post by WOLF »

Time for our annual CFL thread. Season kicks off Thursday with the defending champ Alouettes hosting the BC Lions, a strong contender to play for the Cup at home this year. Great matchup. I can hardly wait.

I was thrilled to see that nobody on TSN's expert panel chose the Als to win this year. I love it - we're an underdog. The picks were as follows:

Schultz: BC over Montreal
Dunnigan: Calgary over Montreal
Stiegal: BC over Montreal
Randorff: Calgary over Hamilton

I can only speak intelligently about my Alouettes, but people are underestimating them. Yes, Cahoom retired, Watkins is on the 9-game injured list, and Avon Coburne is in Hamilton, but Anthony Cavillo still has a lot of weapons and the defence and O-line look stellar. My only worry is at RB, where it's not so much Coburne's running game that will be missed, but his blocking. If Cavillo gets hurt because of a missed block assignment (again), that's gonna hurt the Als chances, because Hamilton is improved.

My predictions, for what it's worth:

EAST
Montreal
Hamilton
Toronto
Winnipeg

WEST
BC
Calgary
Saskatchewan
Edmonton

I don't see a crossover this year. Neither last place team should be anywhere near as good as the 3rd place clubs.

Also look for AC to become the CFL's all-time leading passer this year.

Enjoy the season!
Fast_Eddie_Schenker
Signed One Album Deal on Indy Label

Re: R U ready for some FOOTBALL?! CFL football that is...

Post by Fast_Eddie_Schenker »

Also happy to see that the TSN talking-heads seem to be writing off the Riders. We've got some question marks in the kicking game and with our pass rush, but it Durant can stay healthy I think we're still hosting the Western Final in November.

East
Montreal
Hamilton
Toronto
Winnipeg

West
Saskatchewan
BC
Calgary
Edmonton

I agree WOLF, no crossover potential this year.

Thanks for starting this thread again. I've been slow getting interested due to the unusual occurance of my favorite NHL team keeping me watching hockey until June, but now I'm getting excited. I've got tickets to Sunday's game VS Edmonton and I look forward to seeing the Riders lay the smack down to start the season.

Who knows...if the NFL don't play this year, there could be a bunch of yanks on this thread by labour day discussing what they saw of the CFL on the NFL network.

Go Riders.
Crazy Levi
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by Crazy Levi »

Fast_Eddie_Schenker wrote: Who knows...if the NFL don't play this year, there could be a bunch of yanks on this thread by labour day discussing what they saw of the CFL on the NFL network.

Go Riders.
That'll never happen. We'd turn to the godforsaken UFL first.
Fast_Eddie_Schenker

Crazy Levi wrote:
Fast_Eddie_Schenker wrote: Who knows...if the NFL don't play this year, there could be a bunch of yanks on this thread by labour day discussing what they saw of the CFL on the NFL network.

Go Riders.
That'll never happen. We'd turn to the godforsaken UFL first.
Your loss. Our fields are wider and longer, our recievers are in motion before the snap, and we don't have any candy-ass 'fair catch.' Tune in and give it a try...you might like it. Oh yeah...our balls are bigger too.
Crazy Levi

Post by Crazy Levi »

We all know how fabulous the CFL is, but the only pro football Americans care about or will ever care about is the NFL.

I'm sure you haven't forgotten that there were some CFL teams in the US at one point, but it didn't last.
WOLF
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by WOLF »

Nobody is comparing the CFL to the NFL.

The CFL's athletes are clearly the 2nd best group of football players in the world. If a person is a fan of the game, and gave the CFL a chance, they would likely enjoy it very much - particularly if they needed a fix due to a NFL work stoppage.

Will be at the game tonight, sporting a Tony Proudfoot memorial t-shirt, to honor the memory of the great man/athlete/Alouette who lost his battle to ALS during the winter.
Crazy Levi

Post by Crazy Levi »

WOLF wrote:Nobody is comparing the CFL to the NFL.

The CFL's athletes are clearly the 2nd best group of football players in the world. If a person is a fan of the game, and gave the CFL a chance, they would likely enjoy it very much - particularly if they needed a fix due to a NFL work stoppage.

Will be at the game tonight, sporting a Tony Proudfoot memorial t-shirt, to honor the memory of the great man/athlete/Alouette who lost his battle to ALS during the winter.
I'd actually bet that UFL teams - with NFL coaching and US players who weren't quite good enough to make the NFL - could beat CFL teams. We'll never know of course, as this titanic matchup will probably never occur.
Fast_Eddie_Schenker

Crazy Levi wrote:
WOLF wrote:Nobody is comparing the CFL to the NFL.

I'd actually bet that UFL teams - with NFL coaching and US players who weren't quite good enough to make the NFL - could beat CFL teams. We'll never know of course, as this titanic matchup will probably never occur.
I was actually talking with a friend about this not long ago. I think the talent level in the CFL is higher than the UFL for a few reasons. The pay is better and the contracts are more secure in the CFL. Of course, the Canadian league are recruiting players with skills more specific to the game...340 pound O linemen with sketchy foot speed need not apply for example. The UFL can recruit players who want to be closer to home, and of course they have no import/non import ratio to worry about. Obviously though it'll never happen..the games are just too different. Put it this way, take a CFL team and make them play american rules on an american feild against a UFL team and they'd get beat...turn it around and the UFL team wouldn't have a chance.

I like the UFL actually. I watched some games late last season and was impressed with the overall quality. Lots of recognizable names on all the teams. As a Falcons fan I'm curious to see how Jerry Glanville does coaching Hartford this season.

RIP Tony Proudfoot...great player and a great broadcaster too. Always enjoyed listening to him on the Als broadcasts when I get the chance.
Crazy Levi

Post by Crazy Levi »

The NFL used to actually play the CFL in an exhibition game every year, with a "mixture" of the league's rules.

Apparently the only time the CFL won was in 1961 against the Bills.
KillDevilHill
Headlining Clubs

Post by KillDevilHill »

Holy fuck Wally, going for that field goal was dumb
Mr Yellow Discipline wrote:Somebody please post more videos of girls getting set on fire.
JRA wrote: I did like how they took the piss out of readers. Fuck books and fuck them.
Kid-Wicked
Opening for Helix

Post by Kid-Wicked »

Crazy Levi wrote:The NFL used to actually play the CFL in an exhibition game every year, with a "mixture" of the league's rules.

Apparently the only time the CFL won was in 1961 against the Bills.
back in the day the cfl was the better league.

in some ways i think it still is. there aren't as many boring cfl games as there are nfl games for one. some of the rules drive me nuts though.

lions beat themselves tonight.
WOLF
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by WOLF »

I know my buddy Fast Eddie loves it when my Als beat a Western team not named Riders! :wink:

Interesting home opener for the Als. Game wasn't sold out for the first time in 9 years. We never open at home. With a lot of people out of town for Canada Day, and the huge, annual Jazzfest going on, that was a weird call by the league. Getting around downtown Montreal is a traffic nightmare right now.

As for the game, the Als looked unstoppable in the 1st half, scoring on 5 of 6 possessions, and missing a FG on one possession. Except for one big play, the D was perfect. Then, Wally makes some adjustments at halftime and the tables were turned and the Als held on.

I agree that Buono's call to go for a field goal, down 7, with 2:00 to play was odd. His defence had been great in the 2nd half, so maybe he figured he could get another stop and go for the W, but I don't see how you can assume Cavillo won't be able to get a first down, somehow, no matter how bad a half he was having.

+ for the Als = the 1st half; new starting back Brandon Whittaker running for 119 yards; Sean Whyte hitting two 45+ field goals; and playing a pretty disciplined game

- for the Als = the 2nd half; losing last year's interception leader, Jerald Brown for the season with a fractured ankle; and giving up a special teams TD.

All in all I'll take the win against a quality opponent. Some good games today too. I like all the home teams this weekend.
Rageman
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by Rageman »

For the life of me, I've never understood people that whine and complain about the level of football in CFL, UFL and NFL Europe(RIP) and turn around boasting about whatever fucked up college they root for which is a level far below any of the leagues they scoff at.

Fucktards.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Kid-Wicked
Opening for Helix

Post by Kid-Wicked »

Rageman wrote:For the life of me, I've never understood people that whine and complain about the level of football in CFL, UFL and NFL Europe(RIP) and turn around boasting about whatever fucked up college they root for which is a level far below any of the leagues they scoff at.

Fucktards.
amen brother
WOLF
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by WOLF »

LOL at Hamilton who don't shut up about how they will beat out the Als this year. They lost to Winnipeg, WINNIPEG, in their home opener, by blowing a lead in the 4th quarter with their "star", veteran QB throwing 3 interceptions. :D

Also, looks like Toronto will be better than I thought.
Fast_Eddie_Schenker

It's a marathon, not a sprint...but if you're running with one leg shorter that the other, you aint gonna win either.

Holy f^ck did the Riders suck on both sides of the ball tonight.

No pass rush and no consistency on Offence. Yikes.
WOLF
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by WOLF »

Fast_Eddie_Schenker wrote:It's a marathon, not a sprint...but if you're running with one leg shorter that the other, you aint gonna win either.

Holy f^ck did the Riders suck on both sides of the ball tonight.

No pass rush and no consistency on Offence. Yikes.
... and guess who's coming to town next weekend?!
Kid-Wicked
Opening for Helix

Post by Kid-Wicked »

Tenacious_Dio
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by Tenacious_Dio »

Rageman wrote:For the life of me, I've never understood people that whine and complain about the level of football in CFL, UFL and NFL Europe(RIP) and turn around boasting about whatever fucked up college they root for which is a level far below any of the leagues they scoff at.

Fucktards.
:lol: I grew up in NY, where we didn't give a shit about college football. Then, moved south and went to a college without a football team (UNC-Charlotte). College football rules down here. I'll never get it. Cultural thing, I guess.
WOLF
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by WOLF »

Cavillo rules. The guys is a surgeon out there. Glad he only tied Allen's TD record, and didn't break it, as I'll be in attendance next Friday against the Argos, when he will add another significant record to his resume.

A lot of surprises in the standings so far, with the outcome of the Ticat/Eskie game still pending. Winnipeg 2-0? Sask 0-2 at home? BC 0-2? Why do I get the feeling this may be a weird year?
Fast_Eddie_Schenker

AC audibles like Payton Manning. Just an incredible performance again today.
I liked that the Riders hung in until half time, but it was lights out in the second half. We need to win next week in the Hammer or we'll be 0-4. (You KNOW the Als are winning in two weeks at home)

Our D is terrible and our O is inconsistent. The heat is gonna be on Ritchie Hall and Doug Berry pretty quick.
WOLF
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by WOLF »

Fast_Eddie_Schenker wrote:AC audibles like Payton Manning. Just an incredible performance again today.
I liked that the Riders hung in until half time, but it was lights out in the second half. We need to win next week in the Hammer or we'll be 0-4. (You KNOW the Als are winning in two weeks at home)

Our D is terrible and our O is inconsistent. The heat is gonna be on Ritchie Hall and Doug Berry pretty quick.
Fast Eddie - they've got to get a pass rush going. It's not just AC, there are some pretty good QB's in this league: Ray, Lulay, Burris, Buck Pierce, even Kevin Glenn when he's on. They will all hurt a team if they get the time.

Regarding your O, Durant doesn't seem to be improving; he seems to have plateaued. I saw him make a lot of similar mistakes yesterday, as he did last year. He's lucky he didn't throw any picks.

I feel bad for Greg Marshall. He finally gets a CFL head coaching job; very much deserved and overdue, and now he stands to struggle, which wouldn't happen if Taman surrounded him by the right people IMO.

Well, I'm routing for you against the Ti-Cats next week, and then every
game after July 24.
Fast_Eddie_Schenker

Week 3 picks:

Calgary over Winnipeg
Montreal over Toronto
Saskatchewan over Hamilton (because they have to win this one)
BC over Edmonton

Three road teams. Not often I would pick three road teams.
WOLF
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by WOLF »

Fast_Eddie_Schenker wrote:Week 3 picks:

Calgary over Winnipeg
Montreal over Toronto
BC over Edmonton

I concur.

Curious to see if the standings start to make more sense after this week.

Als missing Richardson and Watkins, with SJ Green and Brandon Whittaker playing banged up. This is a trap game; they better be ready. AC poised to break Allen's TD record, and Ben Cahoon being honored at Halftime, with rumors that the Als will retire his number. The Als can't choke here.

Ticats/Riders game will be really interesting. One coaching staff will be on the hot seat big time after this week. Arland Bruce is already bitching that he's not getting the ball enough. Should be great for locker room morale in Hamilton.
Kid-Wicked
Opening for Helix

Post by Kid-Wicked »

Fast_Eddie_Schenker wrote:Week 3 picks:

Calgary over Winnipeg
Montreal over Toronto
BC over Edmonton

i agree with those.
WOLF
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by WOLF »

Beautiful night at Molson/McGill Stadium. AC achieves the first of three significant records he is set to break this year (despite the Argos low-rent attempt to delay the inevitable and challenge a play that was never going to be overturned); and Ben CA-HOON is honored at halftime for his outstanding career.

Game wise, I'm getting sick of watching the Als give up big special teams plays, but beyond that I don't have much to complain about. The Als pretty much gave the double blue 17 points and otherwise dominated the game. That's 3-0 with one top receiver having retired, and two top receivers out. If this team stays healthy and focused, they are scary good. O-line looks great, AC looks in fine form, the receiving corps is as deep as any year I can remember, Brandon Whittaker is filling Avon Coburne's shoes better than Coburne did, and the D has been very good with some guys playing in new positions. I'm excited, but hesitant to use the "d word".

:D
Kid-Wicked
Opening for Helix

Post by Kid-Wicked »

if the lions don't beat hamilton friday i'm sending my seasons tix back.
Fast_Eddie_Schenker

Kid-Wicked wrote:if the lions don't beat hamilton friday i'm sending my seasons tix back.
Don't worry, they get the Riders eventually, so 3rd place and a playoff berth are there for the taking for Wally's boys.

Good God...I have no comprehension of what thet hellis wrong with the Riders. I do think it's funny that heading into the season, K/P Eddie 'Malibu' Johnson was considered to be the weak spot on the roster. After three games, he's the hands-down MVP of this sad-sack outfit.

I predict that the Riders will give a much better effort in Montreal this week than they did in Hamilton...in the St Catherines St. strip clubs. On the field, well, another slaughter is a given.
WOLF
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by WOLF »

Fast_Eddie_Schenker wrote: I predict that the Riders will give a much better effort in Montreal this week than they did in Hamilton...in the St Catherines St. strip clubs. On the field, well, another slaughter is a given.
While Trestman won't let the Als take anyone lately, the team visibly had a bit of a letdown after AC set the record last Friday, and it took them another quarter to get back on track.

I can see the Als having a bit of a letdown on Sunday and the game being closer than most think it will. This is a must win for the Roughies; and it's not at all that for the Als.

I'm taking the family to Disney on Saturday, so I need to find a way to keep track of the game on Sunday night. I cringed when I saw the schedule and who we were playing when I was on vacation. Why couldn't it have been an Argo game?
Fast_Eddie_Schenker

This week:
BC over Hamilton. Wally's boys get on track this week at home.

Winnipeg over Toronto. As long as Cleo Lemon is in the mix at QB, I'll take the Argos opponent.

Calgary over Edmonton. Home field advantage.

Montreal over Saskatchewan. Best host worst. I do expect a somewhat better effort from the Riders, but they're not going to win.

Have a good trip WOLF. Bring back some Mickey Mouse ears for Ritchie Hall.