The official Rugby Union World Cup thread

A place to talk about sports, athletes and jock itch.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

pieceofme
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

The official Rugby Union World Cup thread

Post by pieceofme »

Yeah i know its not starting for another month but i'm already getting pretty excited.

And there will probably be a total of 3 people interested in this world cup on this board but fuck it.

New Zealand are obvious favourites and the tri-nations so far show them as the the team to beat. Saying that SA was basically a reserve team, but even with their best players back i'd still back New Zealand in their own back yard.

Of course the pressure will be immense on New Zealand being in there own backyard and the favourite tag being applied to them yet again.

Also what plays into New Zealand favour is that they play France in the group stages so if they do meet again then it would be in the final and I reckon New Zealand by then would have too much momentum to lose it.

Out of the northern hemisphere teams England have the best chance imo.

Australia will be dangerous - they have some exciting backs thats for sure.
With France you never know - unpredictable.

The last world cup was excellent, and even though England lost the final, I have to admit South Africa deserved to win.
GrayAntiMatter wrote:EVH

Zappa is pure cult status shit. He is to music what Bruce fucking Campbell is to acting....
Sleazyjack
Recording Your Demo

Re: The official Rugby Union World Cup thread

Post by Sleazyjack »

I'm definitely interested and in the new league season

I'm a big Worcester Warriors fan and go to as many games as I can when Villa aren't at home in the football

I think the main contenders are New Zealand (huge favourites in my opinion), England and France

I don;t think the Aussies are strong enough this time and South Africa seem to be going through a lot changes at the wrong time

should be a great tournament , once all the shitty no hopers are knocked out
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

Sleazyjack wrote:I'm definitely interested and in the new league season

I'm a big Worcester Warriors fan and go to as many games as I can when Villa aren't at home in the football

I think the main contenders are New Zealand (huge favourites in my opinion), England and France

I don;t think the Aussies are strong enough this time and South Africa seem to be going through a lot changes at the wrong time

should be a great tournament , once all the shitty no hopers are knocked out
The Aussies scrum is pretty weak compared to other nations, but their backs are arguably the best out of any nation. And i'm including New Zealand in this.

SA are going to have their most experienced test side thats ever played when they play the tri-nations this weekend. But I don't rate them as highly as last time due more to management than anything.

Zappa is pure cult status shit. He is to music what Bruce fucking Campbell is to acting....
Sleazyjack
Recording Your Demo

Post by Sleazyjack »

I agree with you, Looking forward to Wales v England today .

Need a convincing win , although think it may be tough in Wales.

can;t believe that dancing fool Henson is back in the Welsh squad
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

By the sounds of it England were horrid in their second warm up game against Wales.

Sleazyjack
Recording Your Demo

Post by Sleazyjack »

pieceofme wrote:By the sounds of it England were horrid in their second warm up game against Wales.
Yep apalling and got deservedly beaten soundly!, mind you by no means the 1st choice team - still very disappointing though
KillDevilHill
Headlining Clubs

Post by KillDevilHill »

Canada beat the States 27-7 yesterday in their last match before World Cup. Im hoping the boys have a better showing than last years cup. They fucking have to beat Japan, and im praying for a win against Tonga. Heck, maybe France shits the bed and Canada gets the biggest upset of the Cup? I can only hope.

I haven't been following much international rugby since about a year after last world cup to be honest. However as teenager I absolutely loved the all blacks, would catch there matches online and watch youtube vids on Lomu and Joe Roko. So looking at there results they looks to take it on home soil. Seems ever since I started watching Rugby they are ranked number one by the IRB and can't get it done at the big dance. I hope they can get it done on home soil.

Im moving to Vancouver on tuesday, which will be swell because the city is pretty much the Rugby Capital of North America so ill try and catch as many games I can. Might even order sentanta sports just for the month of the cup
Mr Yellow Discipline wrote:Somebody please post more videos of girls getting set on fire.
JRA wrote: I did like how they took the piss out of readers. Fuck books and fuck them.
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

KillDevilHill wrote:Canada beat the States 27-7 yesterday in their last match before World Cup. Im hoping the boys have a better showing than last years cup. They fucking have to beat Japan, and im praying for a win against Tonga. Heck, maybe France shits the bed and Canada gets the biggest upset of the Cup? I can only hope.

I haven't been following much international rugby since about a year after last world cup to be honest. However as teenager I absolutely loved the all blacks, would catch there matches online and watch youtube vids on Lomu and Joe Roko. So looking at there results they looks to take it on home soil. Seems ever since I started watching Rugby they are ranked number one by the IRB and can't get it done at the big dance. I hope they can get it done on home soil.

Im moving to Vancouver on tuesday, which will be swell becausethe city is pretty much the Rugby Capital of North America so ill try and catch as many games I can. Might even order sentanta sports just for the month of the cup
It is! :shock:

When i tried to watch the 6 nations in February there was a $20 cover to watch it in a bar for live games. $10 for repeats. Not very accommodating for rugby fans.

I also beleive TSN2 is covering most of the Rubgy World Cup this year, not Setanata.

KillDevilHill
Headlining Clubs

Post by KillDevilHill »

pieceofme wrote:
KillDevilHill wrote:Canada beat the States 27-7 yesterday in their last match before World Cup. Im hoping the boys have a better showing than last years cup. They fucking have to beat Japan, and im praying for a win against Tonga. Heck, maybe France shits the bed and Canada gets the biggest upset of the Cup? I can only hope.

Im moving to Vancouver on tuesday, which will be swell becausethe city is pretty much the Rugby Capital of North America so ill try and catch as many games I can. Might even order sentanta sports just for the month of the cup

When i tried to watch the 6 nations in February there was a $20 cover to watch it in a bar for live games. $10 for repeats. Not very accommodating for rugby fans.

I also beleive TSN2 is covering most of the Rubgy World Cup this year, not Setanata.
Yeah no one outside of the Island and lower mainland really follows the sport. Yeah it may come to shock to someone from an actual rugby nation. But yeah, its the rugby "hotbed" of north america
Mr Yellow Discipline wrote:Somebody please post more videos of girls getting set on fire.
JRA wrote: I did like how they took the piss out of readers. Fuck books and fuck them.
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

KillDevilHill wrote:
pieceofme wrote:

Yeah no one outside of the Island and lower mainland really follows the sport. Yeah it may come to shock to someone from an actual rugby nation. But yeah, its the rugby "hotbed" of north america
Cool.

Any particular bars you would recommend for watching the games.

I recall Doolins and Jonny Fox's plays games. Plus I watched a match in UBC - can't recall the name of the pub.

demolition23
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by demolition23 »

I'm looking forward to it, although all the peripheral hype here with hosting it is ridiculous. Also very sad that there will be no matches in Canterbury, the dominant province of the last 15 years due to the earthquakes.

As of right now, the All Blacks are definitely favourites.

Australia do have great backs, but Quade Cooper hasn't proven he's what Dan Carter or Johnny Wilkinson in their prime were, more a Carlos Spencer figure who's amazing with momentum but can crack under pressure. And that weak scrum could leave him exposed.

Meanwhile, South Africa are all over the show, and I don't see France or England winning it down here.

That said, those five teams will all be in the quarter-finals and any one of them could beat any other on their day, so any favouritism is to be taken with a grain of salt.
Moggio wrote:You see, the problem with you is that you act like I have no credibility or something.
PhoenixFlames wrote:AVATAR made 2.7 billion which (maths) is close to 3 x million millions!!!!!!
DoubleVodkas
Opening for Slaughter

Post by DoubleVodkas »

I feel you can't look past the All Blacks but then again that has been said for the last 12 years.

England have reverted to type. One dimensional with good set pieces and let Jonny keep the scoreboard over. I'm afraid this is the only choice we have got due the lack of spark in our midfield.

The Aussies are always in with a chance, especially with their back line. Quade Cooper is my second favourite player behind Rugby League's Benji Marshall. I also feel Cooper is more suited to League.

The French are the French. Either great or shockingly bad.

SA look to be on a downward slope but when they get going they just grind teams into the ground. The most physical team on the planet. (Some would call them thugs)
My strength is as the strength of ten because my heart is pure. -Tennyson
demolition23
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by demolition23 »

Good win for SA over NZ at the weekend, but as the All Blacks wer fielding a number of fringe players, it's hard to know what to read into it, much like the Tri-Nations as a whole this year...
Moggio wrote:You see, the problem with you is that you act like I have no credibility or something.
PhoenixFlames wrote:AVATAR made 2.7 billion which (maths) is close to 3 x million millions!!!!!!
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

Congrats to Australia winning the tri nations. First time since 2001 - will give them a lot of confidence. Also New Zealand losing two games in a row will give the other nations more confidence as well.

Ireland losing all 4 of their warm up games is a bit of a worry for them. Good to get the win over them today though. 8)

The 30 man squads have been selected. Nothing really unpredictable by MJ. Certainly forward heavy and the centres are a bit of a worry. Lack a bit of creativity - I think MJ is the only one who sees anything in Hape. This Tuilagi fella looks promising. Would have him starting instead of Hape thats for sure. Wilkinson is looking solid - hopefully he will stay injury free.

pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

demolition23 wrote:I'm looking forward to it, although all the peripheral hype here with hosting it is ridiculous. Also very sad that there will be no matches in Canterbury, the dominant province of the last 15 years due to the earthquakes.

Australia do have great backs, but Quade Cooper hasn't proven he's what Dan Carter or Johnny Wilkinson in their prime were, more a Carlos Spencer figure who's amazing with momentum but can crack under pressure. And that weak scrum could leave him exposed.

Meanwhile, South Africa are all over the show, and I don't see France or England winning it down here.

That said, those five teams will all be in the quarter-finals and any one of them could beat any other on their day, so any favouritism is to be taken with a grain of salt.
I guess Australia winning it in your back yard would be the worst case scenario?

demolition23
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by demolition23 »

pieceofme wrote:
demolition23 wrote:I'm looking forward to it, although all the peripheral hype here with hosting it is ridiculous. Also very sad that there will be no matches in Canterbury, the dominant province of the last 15 years due to the earthquakes.

I guess Australia winning it in your back yard would be the worst case scenario?

Nope. England winning it is always the worst case scenario.
Sleazyjack
Recording Your Demo

Post by Sleazyjack »

Good result and better performance for England against the Irish, Ireland look poor at the moment and unrecognisable from the six nations game when they beat England

England fly out today , can;t wait for the start now
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

demolition23 wrote:
pieceofme wrote:

Nope. England winning it is always the worst case scenario.
I look forward to that worst case scenario happening!

I got the impression from the last world cup final that more Kiwis were supporting England than South Africa. Maybe it was just the pacific islands.

pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

Purchased TSN2 - not long now 8)

demolition23
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by demolition23 »

Saw some of the Springboks walking around town yesterday. Gave them a long, dark stare. They know where they're at... :wink:
demolition23
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by demolition23 »

pieceofme wrote: I got the impression from the last world cup final that more Kiwis were supporting England than South Africa. Maybe it was just the pacific islands.
Well, I saw a survey in the paper saying the teams NZers least wanted to see win the Cup were the Aussies, followed by the Springboks, but among my friends, and the less knee-jerk of the public, it's always England.

The British press and the 10 man game they have often played (actually less problem with that if it's getting results), have never won many fans here. I still remember two incidents that made me laugh. One was watching England do a victory lap at Twickenham after a draw in the 90s, and another was a player lifting his shirt for the press to show ruck marks the mean All Blacks had given him. Seriously?! I know it was only one guy, but Jesus...

Mainly though, it just seems better for rugby in this part of the world to see the Tri-Nations/Super Rugby countries keep the trophy south of the equator. Apart form anything if one of the other two win, we get a chance for vengeance the very next year.
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

demolition23 wrote:Saw some of the Springboks walking around town yesterday. Gave them a long, dark stare. They know where they're at... :wink:
Ha thats awesome. Which players?

demolition23
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by demolition23 »

pieceofme wrote:
demolition23 wrote:Saw some of the Springboks walking around town yesterday. Gave them a long, dark stare. They know where they're at... :wink:
Ha thats awesome. Which players?

Honestly, not even sure. Forwards by the looks (although these days wingers and centers are so huge, who can tell anymore), but none of the instantly recognizable guys.
Sleazyjack
Recording Your Demo

Post by Sleazyjack »

Premiership season started now , nice win for my boys Worcester

Biggest shock was victory for Exeter - then again if half oif your team are away at the world cup , I guess your going to struggle !
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

Sleazyjack wrote:Premiership season started now , nice win for my boys Worcester

Biggest shock was victory for Exeter - then again if half oif your team are away at the world cup , I guess your going to struggle !
Its a good time for the teams such as Worcester, Exeter, Newcastle etc to get points on the board before the bigger clubs get their players back from the world cup.

Always good to see Leicester lose in the premier league. 8)

demolition23
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by demolition23 »

Canterbury just won the ITM Cup (NZ provincial competition) for the fourth year straight. That makes a combined sixteen national and Super Rugby titles in my lifetime, second only to Auckland's 19 and light years beyond any other province.

We're all New Zealanders now though. 8)
demolition23
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by demolition23 »

And it has begun...

Racing cranes in the opening ceremony (WTF?!) and then an uneven All Black win against Tonga. Not sure too much can be read into it, but it wasn't a great performance, bar a few excellent tries.
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

demolition23 wrote:And it has begun...

Racing cranes in the opening ceremony (WTF?!) and then an uneven All Black win against Tonga. Not sure too much can be read into it, but it wasn't a great performance, bar a few excellent tries.
1st half was solid, then the mistakes crept in.

Tonga made quite a few fundamental areas in the first half. A bit more composure by them in the first half would have made it closer. Think the occasion got to them tbh.

New Zealand really do have an easy draw and I can't see against them winning the whole thing :( . i think the Aussies have the best chance outside of New Zealand but I've got a feeling they will stumble against us if they play us.

demolition23
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by demolition23 »

pieceofme wrote: New Zealand really do have an easy draw and I can't see against them winning the whole thing :( .
I'm not sure how you figure it's an easy draw, or any easier than England/Australia/SA at least...

Group A is the only group with two of the five teams that have contested finals. France is historically tougher than any of the other 'second' teams in the other groups.

The English group is tough in as much as their are three realistic QF contenders, but as neither Scotland or Argentina have ever beaten New Zealand, while France have beaten us two of the last three world cups, so I can't really say that's tougher.
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

demolition23 wrote:
pieceofme wrote: New Zealand really do have an easy draw and I can't see against them winning the whole thing :( .
I'm not sure how you figure it's an easy draw, or any easier than England/Australia/SA at least...

Group A is the only group with two of the five teams that have contested finals. France is historically tougher than any of the other 'second' teams in the other groups.

The English group is tough in as much as their are three realistic QF contenders, but as neither Scotland or Argentina have ever beaten New Zealand I can't really say that's tougher.
Because you get France in the pool stages not at the knockout stages unless you both make the final. Even if it goes tits up against France in the pool stage, New Zealand will still qualify. And if you make the final you'll have too much momentum for France if they make it as well. A tougher draw would have been meeting France in the knockout stage earlier. Also the other team you suffer from is Australia and I believe England will knock them out. I very much doubt England or South Africa will cause an upset against you guys. England are a decent side but 2015 is a better bet, and South Africa are not the same force they were four years ago.

Basically the draw has favoured you not meeting your bogey teams to the later stages (if they make it) and by then you'll have too much momentum.

Plus its unlikely you will meet Australia.