Vikings to get new stadium (Preliminary agreement)

A place to talk about sports, athletes and jock itch.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

NeverSurrender
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Vikings to get new stadium (Preliminary agreement)

Post by NeverSurrender »

Would've been stupid to build a new stadium for the Gophers and a baseball field for the Twins and ignore the best seller of all those.

http://www.startribune.com/politics/sta ... 57533.html

By ROCHELLE OLSON AND MIKE KASZUBA

Minneapolis, the state and the Minnesota Vikings have reached preliminary agreement on the division of costs for a $975 million stadium on a site at or near the 30-year-old Metrodome, according to multiple sources who spoke Friday on condition of anonymity.

The city would contribute $150 million in construction costs to the downtown Minneapolis project. The state would pay $398 million and the Vikings would pay $427 million. The city also would pay approximately $180 million in operating costs over the next 30 years, the sources said.

The sources close to negotiations spoke on condition they not be identified. They added that details such as cost overruns remain to be worked out, but an announcement is anticipated next week.

Vikings vice president Lester Bagley declined to comment Friday on the numbers, but said “there is no agreement. Everything is subject to negotiations. We’re working hard on an agreement, but we’re not there yet.”

If the preliminary agreement holds, it is only the beginning. The package would need to pass the Legislature and likely the Minneapolis City Council – neither of which is assured. The National Football League would also have to approve the agreement.

The legislative session hits the midway point next week and, with the Republican majority talking of adjourning in late April, stadium supporters have worried that there will simply not be enough time this spring to win approval at the state Capitol.

Renovations to the Target Center are not part of the deal, but the city would be allowed to use hospitality taxes for that project, the sources said. Mayor R.T. Rybak initially proposed including Target Center upgrades and renovations in the deal, but that has not been well received at the Legislature.

On Thursday, a House panel in fact discussed eliminating a series of city hospitality taxes – a move that was seen in some circles as a way to pressure the City Council to support a stadium agreement.

City Council President Barbara Johnson, along with a spokesman for Rybak, said Friday they would not comment on the agreement until details were made public.

Rep. Morrie Lanning, R-Moorhead, the chief House author of stadium legislation, said Friday he had not yet seen the dollar amounts – and said he was “perturbed” that they were being released before key legislators were briefed. “I can’t confirm or comment on the numbers that I haven’t seen,” he said.

But Lanning said that removing Target Center directly from a Vikings stadium agreement would likely help sway votes towards the stadium project. “Target Center being included in this complicates the whole deal,” he said. “If, in fact, they’re not, then that would avoid some complication.”

Lanning however reiterated that he had not been told whether the Target Center renovations and refinancing had been removed from the stadium agreement.
johnk5150

Re: Vikings to get new stadium (Preliminary agreement)

Post by johnk5150 »

Now they just need a healthy running back, an entire secondary and a head coach who doesn't do things like start mcnabb over ponder half the season.
He's like the Liberace of bass & pot.

$tevil
Clovis Died
Signed One Album Deal on Indy Label

Post by Clovis Died »

johnk5150 wrote:Now they just need a healthy running back, an entire secondary and a head coach who doesn't do things like start mcnabb over ponder half the season.

Piece of cake :roll:
NeverSurrender

Post by NeverSurrender »

johnk5150 wrote:Now they just need a healthy running back, an entire secondary and a head coach who doesn't do things like start mcnabb over ponder half the season.

Do you have to ruin everything for me, man? :lol: :lol:

AD will be back... beastin. With a shiny young huge left tackle.
ParaDime77

Post by ParaDime77 »

You sir are 100% correct.
Everyone Is Someone Else's Bitch
johnk5150

Post by johnk5150 »

NeverSurrender wrote:

Do you have to ruin everything for me, man? :lol: :lol:

AD will be back... beastin. With a shiny young huge left tackle.
This sucks for both of us, because I think Forte is fucked too, but I can only think of one RB that was the same or better after that surgery. Terry Allen. It's why I'm vehemently against giving RBs big contracts. Franchise them as long as you can and let them walk. There's too many of them that come out of nowhere to fuck your salary cap up for years on that position.
He's like the Liberace of bass & pot.

$tevil
NeverSurrender

Post by NeverSurrender »

Robert Smith was better after both his knee surgeries.

Maybe it's something about Vikes rbs.

Terry Allen was the first Viking I ever met. What a fucking dick he was.

Him and Moss, 2 biggest dicks I ever met.
DaveB
Opening Act in Arenas

Post by DaveB »

This stadium bullshit pisses me off so bad. Why is it that pro football teams need a new facility after about 25 - 30 years? If you think about it, it's the LEAST used facility in all of sports. Factor in a team's home games, a few high-school games, a concert, a monster truck pull and that's it. Open maybe 30 days out of the year? I KNOW why they do it but it just pisses me off that they do.
Tymaster

Post by Tymaster »

DaveB wrote:This stadium bullshit pisses me off so bad. Why is it that pro football teams need a new facility after about 25 - 30 years? If you think about it, it's the LEAST used facility in all of sports. Factor in a team's home games, a few high-school games, a concert, a monster truck pull and that's it. Open maybe 30 days out of the year? I KNOW why they do it but it just pisses me off that they do.
The Falcons are crying about the Georgia Dome already!! You mean to tell me that in 1992 you couldn't have had the foresight to make it last 20 years?? Yankee Stadium, Cleveland Municipal Stadium, Wrigley Field, Boston Garden. How's come those places lasted (or are lasting) for damn near a century but the new places are "out of date" in 15 years. The Cleveland Cavaliers built the Richfield Coliseum and were out of it in less than two decades. It's ridiculous. In all sports.
LouDoo wrote:Neon has to be the most active poster who actually contributes the least, despite all the threads he starts. He has no redeeming value. He's completely useless.
NeverSurrender

Post by NeverSurrender »

It's big business and this is America. Where you all been? Gotta' compete with Jerry World.
Tymaster

Post by Tymaster »

NeverSurrender wrote:It's big business and this is America. Where you all been? Gotta' compete with Jerry World.
If tax dollars are going to be used for a stadium, tax payers should get a vote on it. The citizens of Hamilton County were dumb enough to hand Mike Brown a stadium because they saw what happened to the morale and downtown economy of Cleveland when there was no Browns for three years. The Bengals are still terrible, but that is fine, because they voted yes. Had they voted no, Mike Brown would have been free to go to any other city. And I think that is how it should be. Again, in Columbus, the Blue Jackets are terrible but an entire neighborhood has turned into an incredible entertainment district thanks to Nationwide Arena. The year the NHL went on strike, most restaurants, clubs, and shops nearly went belly up. They are roaring again, with the NHL here. So, terrible teams are still an economic boon. However, IMHO the citizens should have a say in stadium funding. Especially the NFL where in many cases the stadium is only used 10 times per year. That's an incredible waste of taxpayer money for a place that will set empty for 355 days per year. That's all I'm saying.
LouDoo wrote:Neon has to be the most active poster who actually contributes the least, despite all the threads he starts. He has no redeeming value. He's completely useless.
NeverSurrender

Post by NeverSurrender »

I'm not arguing with you, man. This is America. You think I'm going to stop these money grubbing freaks? The system had failed boss, but don't shoot the messenger. I'm just happy my team is staying at home, unless this is just more political bs.
Tymaster

Post by Tymaster »

NeverSurrender wrote:I'm not arguing with you, man. This is America. You think I'm going to stop these money grubbing freaks? The system had failed boss, but don't shoot the messenger. I'm just happy my team is staying at home, unless this is just more political bs.
I wasn't trying to argue with you. I just think NFL stadiums and the whole "keeping up with the Joneses" thing is sick. Conversely, I lost my team for three years. It sucks!! Saint Louis and Atlanta bitching about domes built in the 1990's is ludicrous.

The NFL is out of control on other things to. Congress is looking into lifting the blackout rule. Of course the first thing most people say is "why is Congress worrying about sports?" You know why?? Because pro sports are ripping off their constituents and the only group powerful enough to enforce something upon pro sports are the Legislative and Judicial branches of our government.
NeverSurrender

Post by NeverSurrender »

Corporations run america. The NFL is one of the biggest. People who run the cities want the NFL's money there. So the build stadiuiums so it comes there or stays there. It's like that with all the big companies. Our politicians are in their back pockets. It sucks, and this just another part of that. Look on the bright side, at least this is somehow for the majority of the people. How much did bailing banks and credit companies out help us?

Welcome to America. I'm hoping my last 30 to 40 years or whatever I have left it doesn't completely implode due to the idiots running it.
Tymaster

Post by Tymaster »

NeverSurrender wrote:Corporations run america. The NFL is one of the biggest. People who run the cities want the NFL's money there. So the build stadiuiums so it comes there or stays there. It's like that with all the big companies. Our politicians are in their back pockets. It sucks, and this just another part of that. Look on the bright side, at least this is somehow for the majority of the people. How much did bailing banks and credit companies out help us?

Welcome to America. I'm hoping my last 30 to 40 years or whatever I have left it doesn't completely implode due to the idiots running it.
The alternative to bailing out those banks would have been much worse for us all. Same with Detroit. But I digress.
NeverSurrender

Post by NeverSurrender »

Lol. I'm not really a political person so I will stop. Except to say we now know how they wasted that money.

I'm just happy my team is staying home. Maybe. Although most fans are still in a believe it when we see it mode.
doctordestructo
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by doctordestructo »

So much for the L.A. Vikings :lol:
Redman77
Beer & Titty King

Post by Redman77 »

DaveB wrote:This stadium bullshit pisses me off so bad. Why is it that pro football teams need a new facility after about 25 - 30 years?

saracapri wrote: It's true. I'm wild for buttsex.
NeverSurrender

Post by NeverSurrender »

Redman77 wrote:
DaveB wrote:This stadium bullshit pisses me off so bad. Why is it that pro football teams need a new facility after about 25 - 30 years?

Why the fuck did i pick the Vikes as my team? I'm not even from Minny. I cursed myself. Who knew it could get worse this year. AD tears up his knee.

Anyways.

http://min.scout.com/2/1160559.html

The Vikings have reached a tentative agreement with the University of Minnesota to play at TCF Bank Stadium while a new Vikings stadium is being built. It's one step toward a more detailed stadium bill.

The Minnesota Vikings say the organization has reached a tentative deal with the University of Minnesota on how much the team will pay to use TCF Stadium while a new Vikings stadium is being built.

Vikings spokesman Lester Bagley declined to name a dollar amount, but said the "agreement in principle" would add about 3,000 temporary end zone seats to the 50,000-seat stadium. Bagley says other details need to be resolved before both parties sign off on the deal.

The Star Tribune says the Vikings paid $1.7 million
Tymaster

Post by Tymaster »

Redman77 wrote:

In the case of the Vikings, a new stadium has been essential for some time. The Met wasn't built right in the first place. These other places, namely Saint Louis and Atlanta. That just irks me.
LillianRoxyFA
Headlining Clubs

Post by LillianRoxyFA »

They need to move this along and get it done. The Twin Cities benefit from being a 4-sport town, and the Vikings are by far the most popular. Why give the Twins, Wild, and Gophers new places to play in the last 10 years and ignore the team that brings in the most $$$?

The longer the legislative session goes the more at risk this deal is. Ziggy and the ownership have made yet another good-faith move by not filing for re-location last week. Like an earlier posted said, the Metrodome is not an acceptable NFL stadium. I could be the worst stadium in the NFL. It's time for an upgrade.
It's hard for me to get used to these changing times. I can remember when the air was clean and sex was dirty.

-- George Burns
Tommy
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by Tommy »

Islanders are one of the few teams that actually "deserve", if that's the right word, a new place.
NeverSurrender

Post by NeverSurrender »

Tommy wrote:Islanders are one of the few teams that actually "deserve", if that's the right word, a new place.

The greatest sporting event I've ever seen live was there this season. Rangers at Islanders. Amazing experience.
NeverSurrender

Post by NeverSurrender »

More good news!!
St. Paul – Today Governor Mark Dayton was joined by State Legislators, Minneapolis Mayor R.T. Rybak, Mark and Zygi Wilf of the Minnesota Vikings, and business and labor leaders to announce an agreement to build a new "People’s Stadium" on the current Metrodome site. The new stadium will be publicly owned, support more than 13,000 jobs, require no general fund tax dollars, and keep the Vikings in Minnesota for the next 30 years.

http://www.dailynorseman.com/2012/3/1/2 ... adium-deal