Enough of the Feel-Good One Day Retirement Contract

A place to talk about sports, athletes and jock itch.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

Crazy Levi
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Enough of the Feel-Good One Day Retirement Contract

Post by Crazy Levi »

Really sick of this horseshit.

If LT wants to retire a Charger, let him at least show up to training camp and get his ass kicked.

Ken Griffey jr. played 2 brutal seasons so he could retire a Mariner, that's earning it.

These ceremonial one-day contracts are really stupid and meaningless and have no value at all. Cheap PR for the teams I guess.

Johnny U didn't need no fuckin' bullshit one day Colts contract when he retired a Charger, and they didn't love him any less in Charm City.
WhiteHouseSubsAC
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Re: Enough of the Feel-Good One Day Retirement Contract

Post by WhiteHouseSubsAC »

When McNabb comes back and retires a Redskin you'll change your mind.
HeavyMetalZombie666 wrote:Of course your asshole is going to be sore when you volunteer for an asspounding and not set any boundaries at all.
demolition23
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by demolition23 »

I just can't understand why this would bug people - at least not when it is limited to HoF type players and team leaders.

The reality in modern pro sports is that most stars that are identified with one team won't actually finish up with that team, so this is a nice way to reaffirm that connection at the end of their career, and a nice show of mutual recognition between fans, organization and athlete.
Moggio wrote:You see, the problem with you is that you act like I have no credibility or something.
PhoenixFlames wrote:AVATAR made 2.7 billion which (maths) is close to 3 x million millions!!!!!!
killeverything
A Drinking Fan With A Baseball Problem

Post by killeverything »

I don't have a problem with it. I thought it was pretty cool when Nomah retired with Boston.
noam_bombsky
Forming a Band

Post by noam_bombsky »

demolition23 wrote:I just can't understand why this would bug people - at least not when it is limited to HoF type players and team leaders.

The reality in modern pro sports is that most stars that are identified with one team won't actually finish up with that team, so this is a nice way to reaffirm that connection at the end of their career, and a nice show of mutual recognition between fans, organization and athlete.
This. I don't see the problem with a team and fans celebrating important players.
It's like granny always said: "Some turds float to the top; some turds sink to the bottom. In the end, they all get flushed."
MickeyG
Doing 20 Questions with Metal Sludge

Post by MickeyG »

Yeah, not getting the hate for this at all. Who cares, really.
milk-milk-lemonade
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by milk-milk-lemonade »

I blame Jr. Seau! :x
ImageImage
milk-milk-lemonade wrote:USA USA USA !!
!
milk-milk-lemonade wrote:'Oh boy...' is a 300 Part Series
lizardking
Taking Music Lessons

Post by lizardking »

What bothers me is the amount of retired franchise #s. And what's worse than that??.. When the whole league retires a # , like robinsons #42 or gretzky's #99.
What's more of a joke, a rock n' roll icon, playing in front of thousands of fans with a legendary catalogue of classic songs, or some anonymous loser that can't stop whining about him?
Bob Sacamano
Headlining Clubs

Post by Bob Sacamano »

lizardking wrote:What bothers me is the amount of retired franchise #s. And what's worse than that??.. When the whole league retires a # , like robinsons #42 or gretzky's #99.

Even worse: The Minnesota Wild retired #1 in tribute to the fans.
"I don't have any beliefs or allegiances. I don't believe in this country, I don't believe in religion, or a god, and I don't believe in all these man-made institutional ideas"

-- George Carlin
NeverSurrender

Post by NeverSurrender »

Meathead,

If you had any good players in the last 20 years, you wouldn't care either.

Heath Shuler need not sign a one day contract.
NeverSurrender

Post by NeverSurrender »

lizardking wrote:What bothers me is the amount of retired franchise #s. And what's worse than that??.. When the whole league retires a # , like robinsons #42 or gretzky's #99.

Nobody would wear 99 anyways.

And the wild should do more than that. They have sold out every game since their inception.
wickedsensation
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by wickedsensation »

Crazy Levi wrote:Really sick of this horseshit.

If LT wants to retire a Charger, let him at least show up to training camp and get his ass kicked.

Ken Griffey jr. played 2 brutal seasons so he could retire a Mariner, that's earning it.

These ceremonial one-day contracts are really stupid and meaningless and have no value at all. Cheap PR for the teams I guess.

Johnny U didn't need no fuckin' bullshit one day Colts contract when he retired a Charger, and they didn't love him any less in Charm City.
Agreed, except the comment about Jr. He mailed it in during the 2nd season, and I don't think he travelled on the same flights with his teammates...
uptheass wrote:the best ownings are yet to come
Itwalksamongus wrote:We were young and dumb and full of cum so we would take turns in the back of the van jacking each other off. It wasn't gay - it was out of necessity. Things were a lot different back then.
VincentVanWinger
Showcasing for A&R Reps

Post by VincentVanWinger »

It depends on why the guy left. If the Packers cut Donald Driver at the end of camp and he went on to play two final years with say KC or Houston then came back and retired a Packer I would be cool with that. If however Prince Fielder wanted to come back 11 years from now and retire a Brewer after turning down 150 million cuz it wouldn't feed his family Id be pretty annoyed.