Jaw dropping moments when walking into a sports stadium

A place to talk about sports, athletes and jock itch.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

NeverSurrender
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Jaw dropping moments when walking into a sports stadium

Post by NeverSurrender »

Ever had this happen? Wlaked into a sports arena or stadium and had a jaw dropping moment? take your breath away?

For me, growing up 2,8000 miles from Dodger stadium didn't make it easy to get there. In 2004 I found my wa there. Got there 4 hours early but my ticket wasn't there yet. I'm out front waiting for my ticket guy to get there and I had to pee real bad. I decided to ask the security guard if i could use the bathroom. I walked up to him, told him my problem and asked if I could go inside and use the bathroom.

To my amazement, he said yes. As I walked inside, I could see the 3rd base line and the greenest grass I had ever seen. Then I got a view of the whole park from up high. I just stopped and stared at it. It looked 100 times better than what i thought it would or how it did on tv. I must have looked like Rudy's dad in Rudy. This also happend at lambeau field, but I hate the pack, so it's different. also seeing the Isles last year and seeing the banners was really cool as well.

Nothing like that day at Dodger stadium. Not even close.

You?
demolition23
Cockblocked by Poison

Re: Jaw dropping moments when walking into a sports stadium

Post by demolition23 »

I do remember walking out onto the top level of Qualcomm stadium and being fairly blown away - there are no stadiums of that scale in New Zealand.

Likewise the new Wembley Stadium, almost more because of the size of the concourse (it was like being in an international airport) than anything. And, you know, it was WEMBLEY.
Moggio wrote:You see, the problem with you is that you act like I have no credibility or something.
PhoenixFlames wrote:AVATAR made 2.7 billion which (maths) is close to 3 x million millions!!!!!!
David_Lee_Halen
Raw Dogged by Hagar

Post by David_Lee_Halen »

Had the same experience at Madison Square Garden for the circus and Fenway Park when I was 12.
thewonkytits
Headlining Clubs

Post by thewonkytits »

When I saw the field at Yankee Stadium back in '04, I nearly came to tears. I had always dreamed of going there since I was a little kid.
ParaDime77

Post by ParaDime77 »

Walking to the outfield seats at Wrigley after watching millions of Cub games on WGN as a kid. Looking up at the archaic green scoreboard really tripped me out.
Everyone Is Someone Else's Bitch
TawnyVonJagger
Fuck The Yankees

Post by TawnyVonJagger »

The last time I was in Denver, it was right before the new Mile High (then called Invesco Field) opened. They had an open house, and it was gorgeous! Completely different than the old girl, whom I still miss, but breathtaking. The same with Coors Field. Great ballpark.

Marlins Park tho....I wanna move in. Every time I go there I see something different.
Fuck sigs.
Kid-Wicked
Opening for Helix

Post by Kid-Wicked »

i don't know aboot breathtaking, but seeing fenway a couple of years ago was pretty cool.

sitting in the original penalty box from the boston garden at the td garden gave me goosebumps.
NeverSurrender

Post by NeverSurrender »

TawnyVonJagger wrote:The last time I was in Denver, it was right before the new Mile High (then called Invesco Field) opened. They had an open house, and it was gorgeous! Completely different than the old girl, whom I still miss, but breathtaking. The same with Coors Field. Great ballpark.

Marlins Park tho....I wanna move in. Every time I go there I see something different.
New ballparks never do shit for me. i like seeing something I saw on TV a lot and had never seen in person.
LAglamrocker
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by LAglamrocker »

1. 1st WWF taping, had 1st row arena. See an arena packed at that young of age was the best
2. LA Forum 1st time for Lakers seeing the banners was awesome, To see all my heroes warm up was insane, too see the seats Chick and Stu broadcast from, i thought this is truly heaven
3. 1st AVP tour on the beach
4. chick World Cup Final Rosebowl
5. was shocked the top for Chargers game were good seats
Jani Lane and Bret Michaels should form a band called "Nelson II"
johnk5150

Post by johnk5150 »

The Indianapolis 500 facility is the biggest gathering place I've ever seen.

I went to the Rose Bowl when I was 12. TV doesn't do it justice.

Yankee Stadium (old), Fenway and Wrigley make you feel history. Wish I could have seen Tiger Stadium.
He's like the Liberace of bass & pot.

$tevil
NeverSurrender

Post by NeverSurrender »

johnk5150 wrote:The Indianapolis 500 facility is the biggest gathering place I've ever seen.

Yankee Stadium (old), Fenway and Wrigley make you feel history. Wish I could have seen Tiger Stadium.

I would love to see Wrigley and Fenway one day.

My family is having a family reunion is Cape Cod next month. I was supposed to go, but was on the fence about it. I called up my bro and asked him what game in Fenway we could catch that week. He said we weren't going there. That made my decision easy. I'm not going. Deal breaker.
johnk5150

Post by johnk5150 »

NeverSurrender wrote:
johnk5150 wrote:The Indianapolis 500 facility is the biggest gathering place I've ever seen.

I would love to see Wrigley and Fenway one day.

My family is having a family reunion is Cape Cod next month. I was supposed to go, but was on the fence about it. I called up my bro and asked him what game in Fenway we could catch that week. He said we weren't going there. That made my decision easy. I'm not going. Deal breaker.
Fenway itself is a fucking dump like Wrigley, but it's everything around it that makes it special. I weigh about 155 and the seat was tight. I don't know how fat people butter themselves into the Fenway seats.

And being downtown in in a neighborhood is really cool. Are Fenway/Wrigley the only two remaining parks in a neighborhood?

$tevil
NeverSurrender

Post by NeverSurrender »

When the Marlins played in Dolphins stadium or whatever it's called now, that was "nieghborhood."

Atlanta's stadium has houses close to it. Dodger stadium is in a hole.
doctordestructo
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by doctordestructo »

I'm an L.A. native and have attended so may games/events at the local arenas/stadiums (Dodger Stadium, Coliseum, Forum, Staples Center, Rose Bowl, etc...) I take them for granted but the ones that gave me goose bumps are:

Lambeau Field: Went there last December for a Raiders vs Packers game. Everything about it lived up to the hype.

Fenway Park: When I walked in (2003) and saw the Green Monster (and stood on top of it after the game) I was in awe.

Yankee Stadium (old): Went twice (2002 & 2003), it was a bit of... dare I say, a dump in the concourses :lol: but Monument Park and the history I felt while there were awesome. In '03 we somehow talked our way into a private club behind home plate on the lower level to watch the end of a Lakers playoff game. The Mafia presence was noticeable, added to the entire experience.

Wrigley Field: (2004) Didn't get to go to a game (Cubs were out of town while I was there, caught a White Sox game, it was aiiiight) but took the tour. Standing on the field, walking around the bleachers, touching the ivy, peeking inside the manual scoreboard, cool shit. Went barhopping in Wrigleyville afterwards, Murphy's Bleachers kicked ass.

Madison Square Garden: After watching so many events televised there it was surreal attending a hockey (Rangers vs Devils) game there in 2002. Went to a Chili Peppers/QOTSA/Mars Volta concert there in 2003 and the sound in the venue was great.
johnk5150 wrote:
And being downtown in in a neighborhood is really cool. Are Fenway/Wrigley the only two remaining parks in a neighborhood?
Probably not in MLB... Lambeau Field is the NFL equivalent of Fenway/Wrigley.
poizond13
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by poizond13 »

Without a doubt, Indianapolis Motor Speedway. Even seeing it on TV, you're never prepared for how HUGE that place is. And it is amazingly well kept. To me, it's one of the most amazing places in the world. Sitting in the E Stand Penthouse, looking right down the front straight of the greatest race course in the world, there's nothing else like it.
DISCLAIMER: The below images were forced upon me against my will by the moderator and are NOT of my choosing.

Crazy Levi

Post by Crazy Levi »

Not sports, really. As cool as a big sporting event is, it's usually during the day, I expect tens of thousands of people there, etc.

I'd say the first big concert I went to, which was Pink Floyd at Clemson's Death Valley in 1994. Just going in there, seeing 50,000 people or so ready to rock (including on the floor, where there was usually a football game being played), and the huge stage...it was pretty cool.
bigpaparob74
Winning Local Battle of the Bands

Post by bigpaparob74 »

If you drive into Pittsburgh from the West, the first sight of Heinz Field is incredible. You drive in a tunnel through a mountain & when you come out, the stadium& the rivers are right there.
Tymaster

Post by Tymaster »

First time I went to a Browns game at the old Municipal Stadium. "It's a dump but it's our dump." The new place doesn't do it justice. The Dawg Pound is now corporate and the people that used to dwell in the Dawg Pound are up top.

Not a big Buckeye fan but it's hard to grow up in Columbus and not catch a Buckeye game or 50. Television doesn't do the crowd justice. People everywhere.

Indy 500. Again, no one realizes the enormity of that place until they're there. Only race I'll bother with watching.
LouDoo wrote:Neon has to be the most active poster who actually contributes the least, despite all the threads he starts. He has no redeeming value. He's completely useless.
NeverSurrender

Post by NeverSurrender »

bigpaparob74 wrote:If you drive into Pittsburgh from the West, the first sight of Heinz Field is incredible. You drive in a tunnel through a mountain & when you come out, the stadium& the rivers are right there.

yeah that is a pretty cool view.
Tymaster

Post by Tymaster »

NeverSurrender wrote:
bigpaparob74 wrote:If you drive into Pittsburgh from the West, the first sight of Heinz Field is incredible. You drive in a tunnel through a mountain & when you come out, the stadium& the rivers are right there.

yeah that is a pretty cool view.
That is a spectacular view. Same with the view of Cincinnati from Cut-In-The-Hill on 75/71
LouDoo wrote:Neon has to be the most active poster who actually contributes the least, despite all the threads he starts. He has no redeeming value. He's completely useless.
NeverSurrender

Post by NeverSurrender »

And nice views in Pittsburgh are about as common as a mountain in Florida.
Tymaster

Post by Tymaster »

NeverSurrender wrote:And nice views in Pittsburgh are about as common as a mountain in Florida.
:lol:
TawnyVonJagger
Fuck The Yankees

Post by TawnyVonJagger »

NeverSurrender wrote:When the Marlins played in Dolphins stadium or whatever it's called now, that was "nieghborhood."
Ahhhh no, not really. Lots of empty space around it. The NEW ballpark though, THAT'S neighborhood! Somewhat seedy, but there haven't been any problems that I know of. I even park in people's driveways (only $10!) and they've been nothing but nice, actually.

And I can't believe I forgot this...The Big House. I haven't been there since they added MOAR seats, but that place is fucking IMMENSE, and packed to the gills. I think I've had more fun there than at any sporting event.
Everbank Field (where the Jags play) is huge too, I had no idea. Very nice. Too bad a big chunk of the seats are covered by tarps. :?
Fuck sigs.
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

Walking into Old Trafford for the first time.

I was in the prawn eating section. 8)
GrayAntiMatter wrote:EVH

Zappa is pure cult status shit. He is to music what Bruce fucking Campbell is to acting....
Tymaster

Post by Tymaster »

TawnyVonJagger wrote:
NeverSurrender wrote:When the Marlins played in Dolphins stadium or whatever it's called now, that was "nieghborhood."
Ahhhh no, not really. Lots of empty space around it. The NEW ballpark though, THAT'S neighborhood! Somewhat seedy, but there haven't been any problems that I know of. I even park in people's driveways (only $10!) and they've been nothing but nice, actually.

And I can't believe I forgot this...The Big House. I haven't been there since they added MOAR seats, but that place is fucking IMMENSE, and packed to the gills. I think I've had more fun there than at any sporting event.
Everbank Field (where the Jags play) is huge too, I had no idea. Very nice. Too bad a big chunk of the seats are covered by tarps. :?
The temporary home of the Los Angeles Jaguars?
veritas
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by veritas »

first time entering Fenway and Wrigley were pretty impressive moments.

But the most 'wow' moment was Pac Bell Park in SF (or whatever the fuck it is called now). I suffered through many, many miserable cold nights at the horrible Candlestick Park watching the Giants lose game after game, and when I entered Pac Bell on a warm, beautiful summer evening, with that incredible view of the bay and the city in the distance, with a great looking ballpark full of people with complete sets of teeth, it was a pretty cool moment -- not even the non-fan yuppies could fuck up the feeling.
Turner Coates
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by Turner Coates »

poizond13 wrote:Without a doubt, Indianapolis Motor Speedway. Even seeing it on TV, you're never prepared for how HUGE that place is. And it is amazingly well kept. To me, it's one of the most amazing places in the world. Sitting in the E Stand Penthouse, looking right down the front straight of the greatest race course in the world, there's nothing else like it.
From your vantage point, did you see 1/3 of the crowd leave after the pace car was finished?

"I'm just here for the irony and the dancing."
NeverSurrender

Post by NeverSurrender »

veritas wrote:first time entering Fenway and Wrigley were pretty impressive moments.

But the most 'wow' moment was Pac Bell Park in SF (or whatever the fuck it is called now). I suffered through many, many miserable cold nights at the horrible Candlestick Park watching the Giants lose game after game, and when I entered Pac Bell on a warm, beautiful summer evening, with that incredible view of the bay and the city in the distance, with a great looking ballpark full of people with complete sets of teeth, it was a pretty cool moment -- not even the non-fan yuppies could fuck up the feeling.

Fuck the Giants.
uwec95
Headlining Clubs

Post by uwec95 »

Four stadiums that I've been to that stand out for me and gave me goosebumps when I walked through the tunnel are:

Lambeau Field (still gives me goosebumps every time I go there)
The Rose Bowl (amazing!)
Fenway Park (Beautiful old park that has held up exceptionally well)
AT&T Park (The best of the newer ballparks that I've been to, slightly ahead of PNC Park)
johnk5150

Post by johnk5150 »

uwec95 wrote:
The Rose Bowl (amazing!)
Went when I was 12 and agree a hundred percent. Television doesn't do justice to how massive that place is.

$tevil