CFL 2014 thread

A place to talk about sports, athletes and jock itch.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

WOLF
Cockblocked by Poison

Re: CFL 2014 thread

Post by WOLF »

Glad to be wrong about my Als/Lions prediction. Our kid at RB, in his first start, did the job. Kevin Glenn was atrocious.

Als/Ticats is a proper East final. Now let's see if the Tabbies can be beat in their new digs. Go Als!
Kid-Wicked
Opening for Helix

Post by Kid-Wicked »

this whole cfl season has sucked donkey balls.

grey cup tix should be on craigslist by now.
Fast_Eddie_Schenker
Signed One Album Deal on Indy Label

Post by Fast_Eddie_Schenker »

It really has been a shitty season.

Calgary over Edmonton
Hamilton edges Montreal somehow.

And just like last year, the Tiger Cats win the right to get curbstomped in the Grey Cup.

I would rather see Montreal in the GC but I dont think its gonna happen.
WOLF
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by WOLF »

Fast_Eddie_Schenker wrote:It really has been a shitty season.

Calgary over Edmonton
Hamilton edges Montreal somehow.

And just like last year, the Tiger Cats win the right to get curbstomped in the Grey Cup.

I would rather see Montreal in the GC but I dont think its gonna happen.
I thought the Als would lose last week, but this week I think they might pull it off. Hamilton beat the Als the last week of the season on a couple of trick plays. That won't happen again. Tom Higgins has proven pretty astute at learning from mistakes and making adjustments.

If Crompton can protect the ball, and the Als can establish a running game, I think they'll put up enough points for the D to do their thing and win the game. THEN they can get stomped by Calgary, unless the Eskies can somehow beat them. THEN all bets are off.
Fletch
Doing Package Tours in Theaters

Post by Fletch »

I don't get to watch CFL games as much as I'd like, but the Hamilton Montreal game is on and it's very entertaining. As is the QB's hair for Montreal.
WOLF
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by WOLF »

Fletch wrote:I don't get to watch CFL games as much as I'd like, but the Hamilton Montreal game is on and it's very entertaining. As is the QB's hair for Montreal.
Crompton is growing his hair for "Locks for Love", a charity that helps raise awareness, and makes wigs for cancer patients. His ex-fiancee passed away from ovarian cancer earlier this year.

Als committed all the cardinal sins: turnovers, giving up points off of special teams, and penalties. Hats off to Hamilton. They executed better.
Fast_Eddie_Schenker
Signed One Album Deal on Indy Label

Post by Fast_Eddie_Schenker »

I've got snacks, beer and bourbon ready for a small Grey Cup party. Shitty match up or not, I hope its at least an entertaining game.

Go Tiger-Cats. Oskie WeeWee, etc.
UtahRatt
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by UtahRatt »

WTH? Season's started eh? Week 2?

Watching Calgery vs Montreal live on ESPN....It's nice to see they got a TV contract going, might be a CFL Friday night thing.
-------------------------

Game just started each team with one possession but so far both QB's look good, Calgery's QB Mitchell looks poised and accurate with Cato being more mobile who can throw on the run.
Check that, Cato just went 5 for 5 and drove the field for a TD.

MLT 7 CGY 0 - 1st MLT "Logan" Nice punt return jukes.

--------------------------------
Forget you Canadians, I'll take over the CFL League!
Toronto Argonauts are going to go all the way and win the CUP because I said so.

Week 1 - Toronto 26 Edmonton 11

Argo's Trevor Harris 24com 27att 347yds 3TD's!

---------------------------

Nice to see improvements on the CFL site with live updates and full stats.

---------------------------------------------------------

Guess the openly gay Michael Sam is off the Dallas Squad and signed a 2 year deal with the Montreal Alouettes but it sounds like all the attention and him asking for personal time off has created friction. He is the first openly gay player to play in the CFL!
poizond13 wrote:I have been very bummed out, sad and shocked for most of the night
Artemis2085 wrote:so I blurt out "I love you Paul!
Atomicpunk18 wrote:You see Black Crowes music has gotten me laid multiple times.
UtahRatt

Post by UtahRatt »

Week 2

Hamilton 52 Winnipeg 26
HAM, QB Collaros, 26comp 33att 354yds 2TD's

Calgary Stampeders 11 Montreal Alouettes 29
MTL might have found a QB with Rakeem Cato, 20comp 25att 241yds 3TD's, he's mobile and impressed my how he'd square up and throw a dart on the run..... CGY QB Mitchell looked good at first but started getting harassed.

Over all the CGY vs MTL game was fun to watch. MTL RB Sutton is a beast and Logan their return man has some butter moves. MTL defense up front was stuffing the run and brought the pressure. The secondary on the other hand gave up some plays but still held them to 11 points.
poizond13 wrote:I have been very bummed out, sad and shocked for most of the night
Atomicpunk18 wrote:You see Black Crowes music has gotten me laid multiple times.
Kid-Wicked
Opening for Helix

Post by Kid-Wicked »

al's qb was great. 20-25

wasn't too pumped on the lions effort today lulay looked like what he got back in shoulder strength he lost in accuracy.
UtahRatt

Post by UtahRatt »

Argonauts 42 Roughriders 40

Nice to see the Argo's at #2 in the week 2 power rankings. With mention of facing a tough Calgary team that the Al's bitch slapped the other day. They need to D up but it's good to see them win a couple.

Go Argo's!
UtahRatt

Post by UtahRatt »

Toronto Argonauts - 20 Anyone watch this game? What the fuck.
Calgary Stampeders - 25

After watching Montreal beat up Calgary I thought the Argo's could take The Stamped. Giving up 22 points in the 2nd must have been an epic break down after holding them to 3 points for three of the quarters.
After beating the Eskimos and a nipping the Roughriders I started thinking the Argos might have a good team.

It looks like Harris is a decent QB with a good WR, fair Running Game in a pass first offense. The Defense seems suspect, I'm guessing it's the secondary that needs help.....Still, it's early in the season.

So who's the team to beat, any personal favorites?

After watching the Alou's, if Cato is solid and consistent they should have a tough team, their defense brought the heat, they looked solid vs Calgary and on paper. Again, Logan's a hell of a returner add that to their RB and WR Sutton and Green...I guess it comes down to Cato. Sutton's was a beast vs Calgary, even with an average QB they'd seem strong.

It's been a long time....then
After a few last season and a couple games this year, I'm hooked. There's some good football. It's destroying my brain picking apart the offense and trying to defend it. With so much offensive motion it's got to be a bitch to pick apart...I'm guessing defensive's would have to stick with variations of mixed man and zone. like an NFL dime or nickle package, cover 3 and with the wider field you're objective is to clog the middle so you'd man to man your slot WR's. Then put your DB's in zone.

Hell if I know. It's gonna take a few more games.

Anyway, CFL is fun to watch, glad ESPN is playing live games. Maybe it will pick up more US viewers before long.
ParaDime77
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by ParaDime77 »

Is Michael Sam actively playing for his team up there? Is there any media coverage in Canada about him being ghey and playing football like there was down in the States?
Everyone Is Someone Else's Bitch
WOLF
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by WOLF »

ParaDime77 wrote:Is Michael Sam actively playing for his team up there? Is there any media coverage in Canada about him being ghey and playing football like there was down in the States?
The "gay football player coverage" was intense when he first signed, but has pretty much subsided.

That's mostly because he's not playing, and won't any time soon. He has raw talent/skills, but is not in pro football shape; he's in Dancing with the Stars shape.

For now he's a CFL 3rd stringer at best. We'll see how bad he wants it.

People can scoff, but the CFL IS pro football, and it's by far the 2nd best league in the world. Better than NCAA division 1, eons ahead of Arena Football and the like.

Being a good NCAA baller does not guarantee employment in the CFL. Gay or straight.
UtahRatt

Post by UtahRatt »

Argo's put up 13 in the 4th to beat the Blue Bombers. 27-20
Harris is playing solid, still not sure about their D but at 5-2 they seem to be doing well.

On paper Hamilton is looking tough. Wished I could catch more games.

Missed yesterdays game. Ottawa vs Calgary didn't look like I missed much.
48 - 3 I've watched Calgary in a loss, didn't expect them to stomp anyone that hard. They looked like they had a solid defense with some tweaks needed on the O side of the ball....What can ya say, they leveled the RedBlacks.
Kid-Wicked
Opening for Helix

Post by Kid-Wicked »

ti cats are for real at least at home they are.

bc loses ellinimian to a torn achilles.
cantstopthemusic
Ya'll Cum?

Post by cantstopthemusic »

WOLF wrote:
ParaDime77 wrote:Is Michael Sam actively playing for his team up there? Is there any media coverage in Canada about him being ghey and playing football like there was down in the States?
The "gay football player coverage" was intense when he first signed, but has pretty much subsided.

That's mostly because he's not playing, and won't any time soon. He has raw talent/skills, but is not in pro football shape; he's in Dancing with the Stars shape.

People can scoff, but the CFL IS pro football, and it's by far the 2nd best league in the world. Better than NCAA division 1, eons ahead of Arena Football and the like.

Being a good NCAA baller does not guarantee employment in the CFL. Gay or straight.
He quit, Friday.

http://news.yahoo.com/michael-sam-leave ... --spt.html
WOLF
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by WOLF »

cantstopthemusic wrote:
WOLF wrote:

He quit, Friday.

http://news.yahoo.com/michael-sam-leave ... --spt.html
He played one game, twelve snaps, recorded no stats, and got fooled bad causing a TD on one play.

I have no clue how this guy was SEC player of the year.

He's done. Life is apparently a mess, teammates dislike him - not because he's gay, but because he's being afforded chances, and collecting a pay check, while others more deserving are not.

In any case, it's over.
cantstopthemusic
Ya'll Cum?

Post by cantstopthemusic »

WOLF wrote:I have no clue how this guy was SEC player of the year.
To be a little more precise he was the SEC Defensive POY.

31 solo tackles plus 11.5 sacks and 19 TFL is how he got it (along with a lot of hype).
UtahRatt

Post by UtahRatt »

Montreal 26, Hamilton 23

Awesome win beating the Cat's at their house, mostly without Cato who went down but I haven't heard how bad. This put's the Argo's on top for the moment. Nice win Alou's. Collaros picked a bad time to throw a shitty pass even with the nice DB grab.

Highlights page...
http://www.cfl.ca/video/index/id/115269/autostart/1

Toronto Argonauts vs Edmonton Eskimos on ESPN2 9:00PM ET tonight the 28th.
UtahRatt

Post by UtahRatt »

Argo's 15 Eskimos 38

I've seen more then enough. Toronto isn't the team to beat.

The Argo's secondary is absolutely horrible, missed tackles, bad angles, no hustle, heads spinning, watching players drop their head on blocks and tackles and no communication. Total bush league. The front line is fair and brings some heat but that's where the D ends. Blitzing with not tackling LB's taking bad angles just hurt them.
The offense has talent, Harris is a good QB with several good WR's, the replay of Spencer's 29yd catch as he got blasted was sweet but it don't make up for the shit defense and bad play calling. I'm not buying into their coaching staff.

Edmonton played like a well coached team. They brought the pressure. They're rookie QB Frankli in his first start tore up the Argo's D. They made him look good. This game proves to me what I figured the Argo's had on paper, I thought they might have secondary issues but watching it is ugly.

Natey Adjei WR for the Argo's, Wide open deep and gives up on the play thinking Harris went down, so he raises up his hands all pissed as the ball hit's him on the bounce. Fucking dork.

ESPN2
August 30th 4:00 p.m. Saskatchewan Roughriders vs Ottawa REDBLACKS
UtahRatt

Post by UtahRatt »

Sportsnet has learned the Toronto Argonauts added Justin Blackmon, the suspended Jaguars deep-threat who quickly became a draft bust after being taken fifth overall in 2012 by Jacksonville, to their “confidential” negotiation list earlier this month.

This does not mean Blackmon will be headed to the Argos anytime soon, if at all.

Under the “Ricky Williams rule” instituted nearly a decade ago, any player suspended by another professional football league (NFL, Arena) would be ineligible to play in the CFL, until that discipline is rescinded. Blackmon’s run in Jacksonville has been mired with discipline issues. He was twice suspended for violating the NFL’s substance abuse policy in 2013 and remains under “indefinite suspension” for reportedly failing more drug tests.

He has had two DUI offences and last July was charged with marijuana possession.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/football/cfl/ar ... -blackmon/

The Ricky Williams rule :lol:
Kid-Wicked
Opening for Helix

Post by Kid-Wicked »

pretty good grey cup. happy for mike reilly.
Fletch

Post by Fletch »

Sorry for the old thread bump, I knew there used to be good CFL convo on here. Watched the BC Montreal game last night. What’s the deal with the locals? HoF coach in his last year, great uniforms, good QB...2nd week of the season and there’s a ton of empty seats near field level. Upper deck looked completely shut off.

Bad weather or bad fans?
Kid-Wicked
Opening for Helix

Post by Kid-Wicked »

Fletch wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:27 am Sorry for the old thread bump, I knew there used to be good CFL convo on here. Watched the BC Montreal game last night. What’s the deal with the locals? HoF coach in his last year, great uniforms, good QB...2nd week of the season and there’s a ton of empty seats near field level. Upper deck looked completely shut off.

Bad weather or bad fans?
upper bowl is closed off to make a better atmosphere. june, july and august are tough sells for football in bc. the weather is great and we have way more shit to do than be stuck in that dump of a stadium. the ticket prices went way up after the renos were done which makes no sense because the lions don't own it and didn't pay for them. my seaso tix went from the 30 yard line to inside the endzone. i told them to pound sand. i'd rather watch from my living room.
if they still had the blackout rule i'd go back to the games.
WOLF
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by WOLF »

Montreal, Toronto, and BC aren't the attendance cash cows of the league - particularly early in the season. Too much to do in world class cities, as opposed to the Reginas and Hamiltons of the league.

I was an Alouettes season ticket holder for years. However, the on field product has declined so much in recent years, I've said fuck it. I'll go to a game from time to time, but other than that - I got better things to do.
Fletch

Post by Fletch »

WOLF wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:55 am Montreal, Toronto, and BC aren't the attendance cash cows of the league - particularly early in the season. Too much to do in world class cities, as opposed to the Reginas and Hamiltons of the league.

I was an Alouettes season ticket holder for years. However, the on field product has declined so much in recent years, I've said fuck it. I'll go to a game from time to time, but other than that - I got better things to do.
I liked their helmets. Guessing those are throwbacks?
WOLF
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by WOLF »

Fletch wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:07 pm
WOLF wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:55 am Montreal, Toronto, and BC aren't the attendance cash cows of the league - particularly early in the season. Too much to do in world class cities, as opposed to the Reginas and Hamiltons of the league.

I liked their helmets. Guessing those are throwbacks?
Yes. I heard they will be sporting helmets/logos from different eras throughout the year.
Fletch

Post by Fletch »

Holy hell, the attendance at the Blue Bombers/Argos game that I’m watching on TSN/ESPN2 is pathetic. I can’t tell if this is live or recorded (daytime game, looks like a beautiful day) but this seems to be a theme with some of these games. There doesnt look to be a thousand people in the stands.
Kid-Wicked
Opening for Helix

Post by Kid-Wicked »

johhny football and adarius bowman to montreal. bold moves