CFL 2014 thread

A place to talk about sports, athletes and jock itch.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

Kid-Wicked
Opening for Helix

Re: CFL 2014 thread

Post by Kid-Wicked »

the east is really gonna suck
WOLF
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by WOLF »

The Als' offence improved from terrible to mediocre tonight, but it was enough as their defence was stellar. We ate Kevin Glenn alive tonight. I watched it live and in person. The Lions O-line had no answer.

Maybe there's hope for a .500 season yet.
Kid-Wicked
Opening for Helix

Post by Kid-Wicked »

two weeks in a row the o line lost them the game. just horrible.
UtahRatt
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by UtahRatt »

Looks like the Argo's can score and don't have a D.
poizond13 wrote:I have been very bummed out, sad and shocked for most of the night
Artemis2085 wrote:so I blurt out "I love you Paul!
Atomicpunk18 wrote:You see Black Crowes music has gotten me laid multiple times.
UtahRatt

Post by UtahRatt »

CFL Power Rankings: Week 2

http://www.cbc.ca/sports-content/footba ... k-2-2.html

1. EDMONTON ESKIMOS
2. CALGARY STAMPEDERS
3. WINNIPEG BLUE BOMBERS
4. SASKATCHEWAN ROUGHRIDERS
5. TORONTO ARGONAUTS
6. MONTREAL ALOUETTES
7. OTTAWA REDBLACKS
8. B.C. LIONS
9. HAMILTON TIGER-CATS
poizond13 wrote:I have been very bummed out, sad and shocked for most of the night
Atomicpunk18 wrote:You see Black Crowes music has gotten me laid multiple times.
WOLF
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by WOLF »

Just got home from one of the worst officiated games I've ever seen. 33 penalties for over 330 yards, both teams combined. Killed the flow of the game that took forever to complete.

Als didn't execute when it counted, but refs did not let players decide the game and questionable calls and non-calls helped determine the outcome of a 1 point game.

:evil:
Kid-Wicked
Opening for Helix

Post by Kid-Wicked »

it was hard to watch from home too
WOLF
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by WOLF »

:shock:

Good lord, is there a such thing as a double cross over? The entire west is better than the entire east! At this rate, the best way to punch your ticket to the Grey Cup is to finish 4th in the west and destroy the eastern finalist.

It's actually a shame that whomever wins the east will get a buy, as they don't stand to be better than a .500 team.

As for my Als: we have a D when it's not on the field every 30 seconds; we have a dependable running back, and good receivers. Even our special teams are improved. We need a QB who can manage the game in there. Troy Smith has a great arm, but that's about it. Tanner Marsh? Alex Brink? Door #3?
Kid-Wicked
Opening for Helix

Post by Kid-Wicked »

WOLF wrote::shock:

Good lord, is there a such thing as a double cross over? The entire west is better than the entire east! At this rate, the best way to punch your ticket to the Grey Cup is to finish 4th in the west and destroy the eastern finalist.

It's actually a shame that whomever wins the east will get a buy, as they don't stand to be better than a .500 team.

As for my Als: we have a D when it's not on the field every 30 seconds; we have a dependable running back, and good receivers. Even our special teams are improved. We need a QB who can manage the game in there. Troy Smith has a great arm, but that's about it. Tanner Marsh? Alex Brink? Door #3?
lions had 3 receivers with more yards receiving then montreal had yards passing. manny had more yards rec then montreal had total offense.
montreal hasn't won in bc in 15 years.
can't believe the argos lost to the redriders
WOLF
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by WOLF »

Alex Brink to start at QB for the Als vs the Riders this weekend. FML! So THIS is how the other half lives?!
Fast_Eddie_Schenker
Signed One Album Deal on Indy Label

Post by Fast_Eddie_Schenker »

WOLF wrote:Alex Brink to start at QB for the Als vs the Riders this weekend. FML! So THIS is how the other half lives?!
How long until Jeff Garcia starts?
WOLF
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by WOLF »

Fast_Eddie_Schenker wrote:
WOLF wrote:Alex Brink to start at QB for the Als vs the Riders this weekend. FML! So THIS is how the other half lives?!
How long until Jeff Garcia starts?
I don't see that happening, though I know it's been rumoured. I see AC unretiring before a 44 year old Garcia stepping in, but this team has quickly moved from the sublime to the ridiculous, so who knows!
UtahRatt

Post by UtahRatt »

I think Kory Sheets might have jumped a slot, they've been giving him his share of carries and he's done fair. Haven't got a chance to break down Sheet's blocking assignments or passing routs but after watching Latavius Murray and Jamize Olawale...I wasn't impressed with either.

They've been pumping Latavius up but after watching him on the field he's only hurt his chances so far. I'm actually disappointed with what I seen.
Now it's down to McFadden who's never finished a full season and MJD who also has durability concerns and already went out with a finger in the last game.

The Raiders load up on RB's, I wouldn't be surprised if Sheet's sticks around.

*edit - Just watch a video clip. Said he's looked great in full 11 on 11 practice and broke off some long runs, Needs some work on blocking with Coach Allen saying he has good running instincts......But they like him enough to now ask him to field some punts "he's looking forward too" if Sheets makes it on special teams the door is open.
UtahRatt

Post by UtahRatt »

Dam the bad luck..... Aug 22 2014

Kory Sheets Hopes of Making Raiders Roster Ends with Achilles Injury

Raiders running back hopeful and reigning CFL Grey Cup MVP had hoped to finally make his first NFL team this year, but those hopes were dashed in an instant in the Raiders loss to the Packers Friday night. Sheets took a hard, blindside hit that laid him out on the turf and popped the ball loose.
In the collision, his leg was twisted and he suffered a torn Achilles, the Raiders announced. Shortly afterward, Sheets himself announced his hopes for making the Raiders roster this season are over.

After saying he is out for the year, he thanked both the Raiders fans as well as his fans from the Saskatchewan Roughriders (RiderNation) for their support.
It's a tough break for Sheets who was in a good battle with Latavius Murray at both running back and kick returner. This is the second time he has seen his hopes of making an NFL team end in the preseason with an injury. He was lost to an Achilles injury in preseason with the Dolphins prior to the 2011 season as well.

http://www.silverandblackpride.com/2014 ... les-injury
WOLF
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by WOLF »

UtahRatt wrote:Dam the bad luck..... Aug 22 2014

Kory Sheets Hopes of Making Raiders Roster Ends with Achilles Injury

Raiders running back hopeful and reigning CFL Grey Cup MVP had hoped to finally make his first NFL team this year, but those hopes were dashed in an instant in the Raiders loss to the Packers Friday night. Sheets took a hard, blindside hit that laid him out on the turf and popped the ball loose.
In the collision, his leg was twisted and he suffered a torn Achilles, the Raiders announced. Shortly afterward, Sheets himself announced his hopes for making the Raiders roster this season are over.

After saying he is out for the year, he thanked both the Raiders fans as well as his fans from the Saskatchewan Roughriders (RiderNation) for their support.
It's a tough break for Sheets who was in a good battle with Latavius Murray at both running back and kick returner. This is the second time he has seen his hopes of making an NFL team end in the preseason with an injury. He was lost to an Achilles injury in preseason with the Dolphins prior to the 2011 season as well.

http://www.silverandblackpride.com/2014 ... les-injury
I read that this morning. Feel really bad for him, as he was right there, in the mix. It seems he has the right attitude about his rehab though.

I'm curious, since he was injured in camp, if he'll receive some kind of a pay check. If so, it's quite likely that check will be more than what he made in the CFL.

On another note, if the Alouettes don't fire Tom Higgins I'm not renewing my season tickets. We should have beaten Winnipeg last night (how do you not throw a challenge flag late in the game), and even possibly Saskatchewan the week before, AND Winnipeg at home in week 3. The game has passed him by and he looks LOST on the sidelines. One step behind everything. I'd be more comfortable with Jim Popp or Turk Schoenert coaching the team - or defensive coordinator Noel Thorpe.
UtahRatt

Post by UtahRatt »

WOLF wrote:I read that this morning. Feel really bad for him, as he was right there, in the mix. It seems he has the right attitude about his rehab though.
I day after I made a fucking post thinking Kory's got a shot he blows his ankle. I blame myself. I hope making it this far into preseason he get's taken care of. I really wanted to see him on the field this year almost more then anyone.
Kid-Wicked
Opening for Helix

Post by Kid-Wicked »

WOLF wrote:
On another note, if the Alouettes don't fire Tom Higgins I'm not renewing my season tickets. We should have beaten Winnipeg last night (how do you not throw a challenge flag late in the game), and even possibly Saskatchewan the week before, AND Winnipeg at home in week 3.
he already used his time out didn't he? can't throw the flag if you're out of timeouts.
WOLF
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by WOLF »

Kid-Wicked wrote:
WOLF wrote:
On another note, if the Alouettes don't fire Tom Higgins I'm not renewing my season tickets. We should have beaten Winnipeg last night (how do you not throw a challenge flag late in the game), and even possibly Saskatchewan the week before, AND Winnipeg at home in week 3.
he already used his time out didn't he? can't throw the flag if you're out of timeouts.
No,he hadn't, as he threw a challenge flag on the next play (Winnipeg interception), a day late, and a dollar short. The interception was clearly fine, throwing the flag was a desperation move. The play before, he stood a good chance of the playing being overturned, as it WAS pass interference, and on the previous set of downs a close challenge (similar kind of contact) went Winnipeg's way. Chris Cuthbert and Glen Suitor were shocked he didn't throw it.
UtahRatt

Post by UtahRatt »

After being dropped by KC it looks like Neiko Thorpe is going make the final cut in Oakland since their #1 just went down for 6 games.
UncleTomsCabin
Opening for Slaughter

Post by UncleTomsCabin »

UtahRatt wrote:After being dropped by KC it looks like Neiko Thorpe is going make the final cut in Oakland since their #1 just went down for 6 games.

Lol, you know you must be down on your luck (and money) when you have to watch CFL (Candyass Football League) for entertainment. Don't worry, you can talk about it with all the other 12 steppers tonight at the meeting!

LOL!
UtahRatt

Post by UtahRatt »

UncleTomsCabin wrote:Lol, you know you must be down on your luck (and money) when you have to watch CFL (Candyass Football League) for entertainment. Don't worry, you can talk about it with all the other 12 steppers tonight at the meeting!

LOL!
lOL, what the fuck R u blabbing about? cheesing again? LOLROFL!

Try another nym and do it over.
Fast_Eddie_Schenker

Darian Durant, done for the year. There will be no repeat champ this season. :?
WOLF
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by WOLF »

Fast_Eddie_Schenker wrote:Darian Durant, done for the year. There will be no repeat champ this season. :?
Yeah, that's a killer - and trust me, I've learned first hand what the lack of a QB can do to you in this league.

I don't know if anyone can stop the Stamps this year. All of the East stinks, Calgary owns Edmonton, Sask and BC are likely to have QB issues the rest of the season, and Winnipeg is fading.

Mid season prediction: Calgary over BC for the Grey Cup. BC finishes 4th in the West, and Glenn has enough in the tank to run the table in the East. Then, Calgary smokes them.
Kid-Wicked
Opening for Helix

Post by Kid-Wicked »

bc representing the east playing the grey cup game in vancouver.

only in the cfl
UtahRatt

Post by UtahRatt »

I was looking to see how Chad Ochocinco was fitting in with the ALOUETTES. He's been a starter in a game or two but with 7 receptions 151 yards and a TD it's nothing to brag about.
Glancing over other stats it looks like the Alouettes have more of a short passing attack or horrible QB's. I pulled up their QB's and they've used 4 with Troy Smith getting the majority of snaps. Oddly Troy spent a season in a UFL league I played in except he was national while I was tri state.

My Argo's are looking good. At 3w 8L their on fire, how can the East be so shitty a 3 and 8 team can be leading the division.
They had Calgary's backs against the wall yesterday the 13th but forgot to show up in the second half. Ricky Ray had a good day 33 out of 38 for 338y 4td's

The difference between the two divisions is insane. The east sucks, I'm not getting how that works. 3 and 8 leads the east, 6 and 6 is the bottom of the west. Talk about a miss match.
WOLF
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by WOLF »

UtahRatt wrote:I was looking to see how Chad Ochocinco was fitting in with the ALOUETTES. He's been a starter in a game or two but with 7 receptions 151 yards and a TD it's nothing to brag about.
Glancing over other stats it looks like the Alouettes have more of a short passing attack or horrible QB's. I pulled up their QB's and they've used 4 with Troy Smith getting the majority of snaps. Oddly Troy spent a season in a UFL league I played in except he was national while I was tri state.

My Argo's are looking good. At 3w 8L their on fire, how can the East be so shitty a 3 and 8 team can be leading the division.
They had Calgary's backs against the wall yesterday the 13th but forgot to show up in the second half. Ricky Ray had a good day 33 out of 38 for 338y 4td's

The difference between the two divisions is insane. The east sucks, I'm not getting how that works. 3 and 8 leads the east, 6 and 6 is the bottom of the west. Talk about a miss match.
Als have great receivers and backs. The O-Line has been hurt by retirements and injuries, but is still decent. The QBs are all either inexperienced or terrible, but they are following on the heels of one of the greatest players in CFL history, and pro football's all-time leading passer, Anthony Cavillo.

Troy Smith, former Heisman winner, showed flashes of brilliance last year, but came to camp injured, did nothing early in the year, and is currently on the 6-game injured list (which he's pissed about). Tanner Marsh is 3rd string and a short yardage guy, Alex Brink a journeyman, and the current starter, Jonathan Crompton, is blessed with a cannon, but is still learning the game. This is a QB driven league and it's the reason the Alouettes are suffering. They are strong at most other positions.

As for Ochocinco - he's lost many steps. He missed several games due to injury, and other than the odd big play has been invisible. Can't run, can't block, accusations of him getting special treatment; personally I'd rather he not be here and see little use for him.

It's crazy, but the East is a three team race and someone, likely Toronto, will win the division, with something like a 6-12 record, while another team will host a playoff game with 4-5 wins. Crazy, but the disparity has never been this bad and this season is likely an exception. Argos can be good when healthy, Ticats have loads of potential, and Als will be dangerous again when they find their QB.
Last edited by WOLF on Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kid-Wicked
Opening for Helix

Post by Kid-Wicked »

bc looked good against winnipeg. lulay doesn't know if he's having surgery yet.
UtahRatt

Post by UtahRatt »

Just noticed ESPN 2 is televising Ottawa at Hamilton live. Not sure if it's a Friday thing or if there's an actual contract in place with a schedule. Either way it's a start.
Fast_Eddie_Schenker

Semi Final Sunday:

Montreal edges BC
Saskatchewan thumps Edmonton

Should be a great day of football tommorow.
WOLF
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by WOLF »

Fast_Eddie_Schenker wrote:Semi Final Sunday:

Montreal edges BC
Saskatchewan thumps Edmonton

Should be a great day of football tommorow.
If at the start of the year you had Joseph, Nicholls, Glenn, and Crompton as the starting QBs in the division semi-finals, go buy a lotto ticket RIGHT NOW.

I have no clue how to call these games today, but I'll go Edmonton/BC. Edmonton because they are at home. BC because the Als have sold MAYBE 15000 tickets for today, and injuries will force us to use our 4th string running back, or a very injured Tyrell Sutton. No way we beat BC with a one dimensional passing game. Crompton's a gamer, but he's thrown for 300 yards once this season.

Snowy morning in Montreal. Should be interesting. Ticket sales were a clusterfuck. Als fans are use to knowing the date of the game 6 weeks beforehand; not a week. A lot of apathy after they lost to Hamilton last week too.