CFL 2014 thread

A place to talk about sports, athletes and jock itch.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

Tenacious_Dio
MSX Tour Support Act

Re: Official 2013 CFL thread - CFL: "Our balls are bigger"

Post by Tenacious_Dio »

Not a big CFL fan, but I did catch the last quarter of Montreal-Edmonton. I didn't realize that the CFL didn't have kickoffs after touchdowns anymore. I was surprised that I didn't really miss them.
Fast_Eddie_Schenker
Signed One Album Deal on Indy Label

Post by Fast_Eddie_Schenker »

Tenacious_Dio wrote:Not a big CFL fan, but I did catch the last quarter of Montreal-Edmonton. I didn't realize that the CFL didn't have kickoffs after touchdowns anymore. I was surprised that I didn't really miss them.
We do have kickoffs but late in games (Not sure of the exact rule) the receiving team has an option of fielding the ball without a kickoff.

I'll look that up and post it.
Fast_Eddie_Schenker

Wow, the Als fired Hawkins already. That was quick.
That's what you get for trying to change a 40 year old quarterback.
WOLF
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by WOLF »

Fast_Eddie_Schenker wrote:Wow, the Als fired Hawkins already. That was quick.
That's what you get for trying to change a 40 year old quarterback.
OC Mike Miller was also "reassigned" with Doug Berry being named the new OC. Popp is the coach, surely because owner Bob Wettenhal doesn't want to pay Hawkins for 3 years AND another new coach.

I'm thrilled with the moves. I'm at all the games, so besides the doofus moves you guys were seeing on TV, I was seeing the disarray on the sidelines.

I'll give the Als credit for one thing - they had the balls to admit they made a mistake. What a clusterfuck this was. Managing college kids, and leading men, is two different things. No in game adjustments were ever made, and we kept asking an immobile, 41 year old QB, to throw 15-20 yards sideways, in order to gain two yards and first down and force 2nd and long. All Hawkins had to do was put his ego aside, listen to AC, and follow Trestman's play book.

Glad they did this now, before the season is lost. In a way it's a pity didn't bolt to the US a year earlier. Then we could have promoted and retained our whole staff, most of which are in Toronto now (many sporting Grey Cup rings).
Kid-Wicked
Opening for Helix

Post by Kid-Wicked »

so.......maybe it's not the coaching. lol
WOLF
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by WOLF »

Kid-Wicked wrote:so.......maybe it's not the coaching. lol
Hard to tell when you can't hold onto the ball! Noel Devine was a one man juggling act, with three fumbles (six on year) all of his own. Kid can run, but he can't take a hit.

Oh, and the Argos are the new Als of the East. Cue the rebuild, I guess.
Kid-Wicked
Opening for Helix

Post by Kid-Wicked »

WOLF wrote:
Kid-Wicked wrote:so.......maybe it's not the coaching. lol
Hard to tell when you can't hold onto the ball! Noel Devine was a one man juggling act, with three fumbles (six on year) all of his own. Kid can run, but he can't take a hit.

Oh, and the Argos are the new Als of the East. Cue the rebuild, I guess.
matt dunigan: the next words devine is going to hear from his coach are."aisle or window?"
WOLF
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by WOLF »

The Als are going to kill me before the season is over!

I suppose keeping the game close, vs a power house, with your starting QB, starting RB, 2 starting WR, and 3/5ths of the O-line out is respectable, but the Riders were there for the taking today, and poor execution in the last 90 seconds lost us what would have been a rallying point road win.

Gawd - so this is how people in other CFL cities have felt all these years!
Fast_Eddie_Schenker

WOLF wrote:The Als are going to kill me before the season is over!

I suppose keeping the game close, vs a power house, with your starting QB, starting RB, 2 starting WR, and 3/5ths of the O-line out is respectable, but the Riders were there for the taking today, and poor execution in the last 90 seconds lost us what would have been a rallying point road win.

Gawd - so this is how people in other CFL cities have felt all these years!
I was up north fishing and missed this game. Sounds like it was a good one to miss. The Riders are fortunate to have walked away with a win in this one...but like they say, you gotta win ugly sometimes.
WOLF, your team will like likely make the playoffs by default in the East, but they are a ragetty-ass squad right now. I don't see much hope of a turnaround with the injuries either. Too bad. I really don't want to see the Argos prance through the season unchallenged.
Fast_Eddie_Schenker

HOLY SHIT!

What a game. Marsh looked great until he threw 3 straight INTS late in the game...and he STILL found a way to win.

Even if that is the season hiighlight, WOLF, you gotta admit it was a good one.
WOLF
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by WOLF »

Fast_Eddie_Schenker wrote:HOLY SHIT!

What a game. Marsh looked great until he threw 3 straight INTS late in the game...and he STILL found a way to win.

Even if that is the season hiighlight, WOLF, you gotta admit it was a good one.
I'm friggin' soaking wet, and loving it! What a 2nd half. People here have been talking up Marsh as having more potential than Neiswander, and god damn they were right. The kid can run and the Lions D were not ready for that. Yeah, the INTs sucked, but he's young and he was forcing things a bit at one point. He found a way.

With a little luck this team could be 4-4 or 5-3. Given the bad coaching hire, and the fact that 10 of 24 starters were out today, I'm fuckin' thrilled!

The Lions got what they derserved. The Als D owned Lulay. They were stupid to go for it on 3rd down, in the first half, up 12-0, as opposed to taking the easy 3 points, and from where I was sitting, it looked like McCallum tripped Carrier to stop him from scoring on a 2nd consecutive return. Also, that roughing the passer call on Cash, in the 4th, giving the Lions a big 1st down, was iffy at best as well.

Als turned over the ball like crazy, took a field's length worth of penalties, and Whyte almost choked the game away, and they STILL won! I LOVE THIS GAME!
Royal Dudeness
Headlining Clubs

Post by Royal Dudeness »

Praise allah.

I almost bet a lot of dough on the Lions winning this one.
Kid-Wicked
Opening for Helix

Post by Kid-Wicked »

too many 2 and outs. poor clock management. poor coaching decisions
Fast_Eddie_Schenker

Kid-Wicked wrote:too many 2 and outs. poor clock management. poor coaching decisions
All of the above, and throw in piss-poor protection for your QB.
Kid-Wicked
Opening for Helix

Post by Kid-Wicked »

Fast_Eddie_Schenker wrote:
Kid-Wicked wrote:too many 2 and outs. poor clock management. poor coaching decisions
All of the above, and throw in piss-poor protection for your QB.
that really comes down to coaching. 6 guys can't block 8 and at times 9 guys rushing. the lions rarely use a screen pass. if lulay was reading 9 man blitz he didn't have an audible to call to get him out of it.
Fast_Eddie_Schenker

Week 10 prognostication

BC over Hamilton - Could be the best game of the week.

Saskatchewan over Winnipeg - Should be the worst game of the week.

Calgary over Edmonton - I'd love to pick the Eskimos here but it wont happen.

Montreal over Toronto - Ray out 6 weeks?!? The door is open a crack here WOLF. Can the Alouettes take advantage?

Happy Labour Day, CFL fans.
WOLF
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by WOLF »

Fast_Eddie_Schenker wrote:Week 10 prognostication

BC over Hamilton - Could be the best game of the week.

Saskatchewan over Winnipeg - Should be the worst game of the week.

Calgary over Edmonton - I'd love to pick the Eskimos here but it wont happen.

Montreal over Toronto - Ray out 6 weeks?!? The door is open a crack here WOLF. Can the Alouettes take advantage?

Happy Labour Day, CFL fans.
BC over Hamilton - Hamilton is actually in a great position to make some waves in the East, with the Argos and Als injury woes. Still, I can't see BC losing AGAIN.

Sask over Winnipeg - I keep wondering if the Riders letting all these weak teams hang around is eventually going to catch up to them, but this ain't the week.

Calgary over Edmonton - Just because. Edmonton and Winnipeg, despite keeping the odd game close, just plain suck. This is the first year I can remember when you can spot the 6 playoff teams, so easily, so early in the season.

Montreal over Toronto - this will probably be the battle of the back-ups. Als are on a high, Whittaker and London are back, and the Argos are reeling a bit. With back-to-back games against each other, this is a critical two week juncture in the East. It haunts me that the Als blew that game in Saskatchewan, and a 24 point lead in Calgary. They could be 5-3 right now!
WOLF
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by WOLF »

4-0 on the week...

Marsh won the battle of the back-ups. Nothing fancy, but he held onto the ball (mostly) and did as he was instructed. For a 23 year old making his first CFL start, having only been in the organization/league since June, I'm impressed.

What the Als are doing with back-ups. Even in the loss to Saskatchewan, is impressive. Messam was a beast yesterday, and the defence battered Kolaros (and Lulay the week prior).

If we beat the Argos in the rematch, on Sunday, we're in first place! Crazy! I'll say it again, this team should be 6-3.
WOLF
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by WOLF »

WOLF wrote: If we beat the Argos in the rematch, on Sunday, we're in first place! Crazy! I'll say it again, this team should be 6-3.
Is there an emoticon for banging your head against a wall?!

Again, the Als snatch defeat from the jaws of victory!
Kid-Wicked
Opening for Helix

Post by Kid-Wicked »

buck pierce back to bc after they let joe elliot go back to def leppard.

i picked bb to beat the riders today. and the argos. but i also picked edm and bc
Fast_Eddie_Schenker

Week 12
Hamilton over Calgary - Call it a hunch.

Saskatchewan over Toronto - I'd take the Argos here if Ray was healthy. What a shit show in Regina this week. WOLF, I'm hearing there is a strong possibility of one or two Alouettes getting charged as they were hanging with Dwight Anderson and Taj Smith at that club that night. Lots of rumours flying about more charges right now.

Winnipeg over Edmonton - another hunch. I'd love to see the Eskimos find a way to shoot themselves in the dick late in a game again.

BC over Montreal - Time for the Lions to stop fucking around.
WOLF
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by WOLF »

Fast_Eddie_Schenker wrote:Week 12
Hamilton over Calgary - Call it a hunch.

Saskatchewan over Toronto - I'd take the Argos here if Ray was healthy. What a shit show in Regina this week. WOLF, I'm hearing there is a strong possibility of one or two Alouettes getting charged as they were hanging with Dwight Anderson and Taj Smith at that club that night. Lots of rumours flying about more charges right now.

Winnipeg over Edmonton - another hunch. I'd love to see the Eskimos find a way to shoot themselves in the dick late in a game again.

BC over Montreal - Time for the Lions to stop fucking around.
Hamilton - this wouldn't shock me either. The Tabbies smell blood with the Argos and Als hurting.

Sask - No doubt. The Als made the Argos look good last week. Only worry is if the turmoil in Regina has knocked the Riders off their game.

Winnipeg - Bombers think they can catch the Als, and if they were ever going to rescue their season, now would be the time, building off their Banjo Bowl win.

BC - Als usually get smoked in Vancouver when healthy - let alone now. Too many opportunities have come and gone. We're in trouble.

All the Als would need would be for something to come out of that Regina incident. Its a great example of things that would NOT have happened under Marc Trestman. They had too much respect for him, and he had everyone vested in the team first concept. Indiscipline is now running rampant.
Fast_Eddie_Schenker

week 13

Eskimos over Bombers - Edmonton appear to be figuring things out. Last week showed the Bomber Banjo Bowl win was more of a blip than a trend.

Hamilton over Montreal - Burris will get it done this week I think.

Calgary over Toronto - History says Calgary won't run the table, but I say Calgary should run the table.

Saskatchewan over BC - Without Lulay on the Lions roster, the Riders know a loss here isn't acceptable. They've lost 2 straight to backup quarterbacks.
Kid-Wicked
Opening for Helix

Post by Kid-Wicked »

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.
went for sushi and missed the ending of the ed-win game.
Kid-Wicked
Opening for Helix

Post by Kid-Wicked »

that bomber offense might be the worst thing i've ever seen. they gave up 21 points on picks and fumbles in the first half alone.
bet buck pierce was happy to get out of that gong show.
WOLF
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by WOLF »

OK, Troy Smith looks like he can play in this league, as he learns and listens. Can there be hope for my Als yet? To come out of the East I mean?
ParaDime77
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by ParaDime77 »

What is average attendance for a CFL game?
Everyone Is Someone Else's Bitch
WOLF
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by WOLF »

ParaDime77 wrote:What is average attendance for a CFL game?
It's actually lower in the "big cities" (Montreal, Toronto, and Vancouver) then the "smaller" ones (Edmonton, Regina, Winnipeg, etc.).

Attendance ranges from about 20K to 40K, with the average probably being right in the middle of that. Here in Montreal we use to sell out a 20K stadium game in, game out, for years. It was expanded to 25,000 and hasn't sold out since. We do about 23,000/game now. It gives you a good idea exactly where demand is in this market. It's actually pretty good considering the CFL is probably the equivalent of AAA baseball (maybe a notch higher) and there's a lot to do in this city, entertainment wise.
WOLF
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by WOLF »

Wow, the Esks and Bombers COMBINED didn't win enough games to make the playoffs!

:shock:

Check back for playoff predictions later this week.

Als vs Hamilton (at Guelph); winner gets Toronto
BC vs Saskatchewan; winner gets Calgary
UtahRatt
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by UtahRatt »

WOLF wrote:Wow, the Esks and Bombers COMBINED didn't win enough games to make the playoffs!

:shock:

Check back for playoff predictions later this week.

Als vs Hamilton (at Guelph); winner gets Toronto
BC vs Saskatchewan; winner gets Calgary
I'd like to find times and dates I think I found a place online I can watch CFL games....I'll have to further my research.

Seeing Sakatchewan reminds me of Dave Stireman a QB pulled out of Utah I played against for years. Did a search and got a laugh, the search on his name lead me to an old Roughriders post/CFL forums from years ago.

Dave Stireman, QB
Brought in to camp earmarked to be the next CFL all-star QB. Had his own column in the Regina Feeder Post. Was cut before the season began. Plays semi-pro now somewhere in western U.S.
poizond13 wrote:I have been very bummed out, sad and shocked for most of the night
Artemis2085 wrote:so I blurt out "I love you Paul!
Atomicpunk18 wrote:You see Black Crowes music has gotten me laid multiple times.