CFL 2014 thread

A place to talk about sports, athletes and jock itch.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

WOLF
Cockblocked by Poison

Re: Official 2013 CFL thread - CFL: "Our balls are bigger"

Post by WOLF »

UtahRatt wrote:I'd like to find times and dates I think I found a place online I can watch CFL games....I'll have to further my research.
The next three Sundays and then the season is done:

Sunday, November 10:
Montreal at Hamilton, 1:00 Eastern
BC at Saskatchewan, after completion of first game

Sunday, November 17:
Montreal/Hamilton winner at Toronto, 1:00 Eastern
BC/Sask winner at Calgary, after completion of first game

Sunday, November 24
East winner vs West winner, 6:00 Eastern, game played in Regina, Sask
UtahRatt
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by UtahRatt »

WOLF wrote:
UtahRatt wrote:I'd like to find times and dates I think I found a place online I can watch CFL games....I'll have to further my research.

Sunday, November 10:

Sunday, November 17:

Sunday, November 24
Thanks fer that.
Since the NFL started the website I've been following hasn't had many feeders and either slowed or stopped showing CFL in Week 10 hopefully someone will post the playoffs. There was mention ESPN2 might carry games...Still searching for decent links in case.

Argonauts!

Noticed Argo dropped a meaningless game to Montreal
Alouettes on Nov 1st, the box score said the Argo's scored 1 point in the 2nd.

How do you score 1 point? :mrgreen:
poizond13 wrote:I have been very bummed out, sad and shocked for most of the night
Artemis2085 wrote:so I blurt out "I love you Paul!
Atomicpunk18 wrote:You see Black Crowes music has gotten me laid multiple times.
WOLF
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by WOLF »

UtahRatt wrote:
WOLF wrote:

Sunday, November 10:

Sunday, November 17:

Sunday, November 24
Thanks fer that.
Since the NFL started the website I've been following hasn't had many feeders and either slowed or stopped showing CFL in Week 10 hopefully someone will post the playoffs. There was mention ESPN2 might carry games...Still searching for decent links in case.

Argonauts!

Noticed Argo dropped a meaningless game to Montreal
Alouettes on Nov 1st, the box score said the Argo's scored 1 point in the 2nd.

How do you score 1 point? :mrgreen:
- punt/kick that goes through, or rolls through, the end zone, or that is caught in the end zone with the receiving point taking a knee

- missed field goal that the defensive team can't run out of the end zone

CFL playoffs are usually AWESOME. so tune in if you can.
Kid-Wicked
Opening for Helix

Post by Kid-Wicked »

bc will have to win once in calgary and twice in sask.
lol.
i bet on snow in all 3 games.
WOLF
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by WOLF »

PREDICTION TIME:

East Semi - Montreal over Hamilton: The Als have been better and better down the stretch. Troy Smith will be a player in this league, and the running game, as well as offence in general, has come a long way in a month. They simply need to hold onto the ball. Turnovers have killed this team. The defence is stellar and I expect them to go after Henry Burris HARD. My only fear is the game resting on the leg of Sean Whyte. Go Als!

West Semi - Saskatchewan over BC: Lulay is surely playing hurt, and it sounds like the Lions plan to play more than one QB. Durant is missing a big target, with Chris Getlaf being out, but Durant, the other receivers, and Kory Sheets will come up big. The Riders defence is nothing to sneeze at either. I do NOT see the Riders dropping a home playoff game, in front of 40,000+, to a dome team.

Enjoy the games folks!
Kid-Wicked
Opening for Helix

Post by Kid-Wicked »

this game in hamilton is hard to watch
WOLF
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by WOLF »

Kid-Wicked wrote:this game in hamilton is hard to watch
The game pretty much summed up the Als season, in a nutshell. Defence heroic all game, and then chokes it away at the end, likely because they were gassed.

Also, please let this be the last my fair city see's of Shaun Whyte. Popp should have had the balls to sign another kicker down the stretch, like he did with Burk Dales taking over the punting duties.

Oh well, Go Riders! Would like to see them win it all, at home, after some of the heartache they've endured. A Sask/Ham final would make me happy, though it may be too much to hope for.
UtahRatt

Post by UtahRatt »

Reposting.....

Gray Cup Finals
Sun Nov 17 Hamilton vs Toronto
Sun Nov 17 Saskatchewan vs Calgary

Sun Nov 24 Gray Cup Championship

Not sure who's favored so I'm going with Saskatchewajuaioan vs Toronto in the championship. The Argo's will go up by 1 1/2 points and neither team scores in the 4th quarter.

Argo win gray cup!

If anyone sees ESPN or someone carrying the Gray Cup or the Finals please let it be known.
poizond13 wrote:I have been very bummed out, sad and shocked for most of the night
Atomicpunk18 wrote:You see Black Crowes music has gotten me laid multiple times.
Kid-Wicked
Opening for Helix

Post by Kid-Wicked »

UtahRatt wrote:Reposting.....

Gray Cup Finals

Not sure who's favored so I'm going with Saskatchewajuaioan vs Toronto in the championship. The Argo's will go up by 1 1/2 points and neither team scores in the 4th quarter.

Argo win gray cup!

If anyone sees ESPN or someone carrying the Gray Cup or the Finals please let it be known.
western final
eastern final
grey cup.
UtahRatt

Post by UtahRatt »

Kid-Wicked wrote:
UtahRatt wrote:Reposting.....

Gray Cup Finals

Argo win gray cup!

western final
eastern final
grey cup
Argo's win.

Got ya
Kid-Wicked
Opening for Helix

Post by Kid-Wicked »

argos win? lol.

um.........nope.

riders
WOLF
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by WOLF »

If the Riders win a Grey Cup at home I fear Regina will be burned to the ground.

If the Riders lose a Grey Cup at home I fear Regina will be burned to the ground.

That is all.
Kid-Wicked
Opening for Helix

Post by Kid-Wicked »

the key is korey sheets. i said that even before it started. lol.

hedley sucks
UtahRatt

Post by UtahRatt »

Kid-Wicked wrote:the key is korey sheets. i said that even before it started. lol.

hedley sucks
Watched most of if, on NBCSP.....Looked a bit chilly!

Sheet's blew up, Durant has a cannon...Ham couldn't get anything gong on the ground. Not much to say about Burris, team seemed out matched.

Clearly I don't know much about the CFL and the rules but I get what's happening on the field and there's some good football even if it could have been a better game.

With Hamilton knocking the Argo's out they deserved to get spanked.
UtahRatt

Post by UtahRatt »

Former 49er Kory Sheets sets CFL record in Grey Cup win

http://www.ninersnation.com/2013/11/24/ ... -cup-49ers

Kory Sheets was many things ... but most importantly, he was our future.

The best football performance of the day did not come in any of the 12 NFL games played on Sunday. Nor will the best performance of the week come when the San Francisco 49ers take on the Washington Redskins on Monday Night Football. The best performance came in the Grey Cup, where the Saskatchewan Roughriders rode a former 49ers running back to a dominating 45-23 victory over the Hamilton Tiger-Cats.

That player was more than just ... a former player. He was more than a practice squadder and preseason standout. He was our future. I'm talking about, of course, Kory Sheets. The man who looked solid for the 49ers and captured the total undying admiration of user KORY SHEETS WAS OUR FUTURE -- as seen in the now-famous Niners Nation fanpost here -- set a Grey Cup (that's like the Super Bowl for them, but with a more mysterious and provocative name) record on Sunday.

Sheets broke the previous record for yardage with 197 on the day, and added two touchdowns as well. The old record of 169 yards was set back in 1956. Sheets' excellent performance earned him the MVP honors for the game. The championship victory (fourth for the Rough Riders, first for Sheets) caps a season in which Sheets put up 1,598 yards off of 287 carries, with 12 touchdowns.
WOLF
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by WOLF »

Congrats to the Riders and the province of Saskatchewan. Hands down the most passionate fan base in the CFL! After a good deal of heartbreak the last few years, they very much deserve a Grey Cup win at Mosaic. I almost wish I was there to experience the vibe of the city.

I'm really happy for Darian Durant. That guy got so much crap for losing to Alouettes teams that were, frankly, better than his. You need to learn this game, Durant has, and now he's rightfully a champion. Never got all the flak he receives in Sask, but he's in the spotlight, so I guess that will happen.

Since we started this here CFL thread tradition, that's two titles for me, one for KW, one for Fast Eddie, and I think those blasted Argos and Stamps may have won one each too.

Viva le CFL. Love it. Can't wait for the expansion draft, and to start hating the Ottawa Red Blacks (stupid fuckin' name, might as well have just called them the Rod Blacks - its just as bad, like him).
Fast_Eddie_Schenker
Signed One Album Deal on Indy Label

Post by Fast_Eddie_Schenker »

First off, apologies for not posting here for so long. It started out as just laziness, then superstition.

What an amazing week in Regina. I had a chance to take in a bunch of the festival events, and hats off to all the organizers for pulling off a fantastic week, despite the cold weather we had up until Sunday. The police made no arrests all week, which is mind-boggling considering the crowds and the amount of alcohol that was consumed. Very proud of my city today.

There was a moment with about 4 minutes left in the game, everybody in the place were on their feet, when the jumbotron showed a woman, easily in her 70's if not older, standing in the crowd, dressed in her Rider gear, and she was crying. It meant so much to her to see what she was seeing. I get a little choked up just thinking about it now. Half an hour after the game was over, hardly anyone had left. Nobody wanted it to end.

Full disclosure, I had been issued a media pass and watched the first quarter from the press box before i made my way down to my seat. I could have been at field level post-game, and even in the Riders locker room if I wanted, but after thinking about it, I chose not to. (been there done that, and I have no personal connections to anyone on this team because I don't cover the team directly) As cool as that might have been, I wanted to get to Albert street and spend an hour or so with the crowd. SO MANY high fives.

Saskatchewan Roughriders, 2013 Grey Cup Champs! Lets do it again next year.
WOLF
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by WOLF »

Fast_Eddie_Schenker wrote:Saskatchewan Roughriders, 2013 Grey Cup Champs! Lets do it again next year.
Congrats!

But next year a revamped Als squad, featuring Troy Smith at the helm, will be the Cinderella story of the league!
UtahRatt

Post by UtahRatt »

Kid-Wicked wrote:the key is korey sheets. i said that even before it started. lol.

Holy SHEET'S! Kory Sheets Signed by the Oakland Raiders!

Thanks Roughriders, I hope he makes a name this time around and adds a bit of respect to what he's accomplished up there. I mentioned I was impressed watching him in The Cup, it made me pull up his history and why Sheets had troubles in the NFL. More shocking he was smuggled by my horrible team.
Loosing Sheets has to hurt the Roughriders. I know he can run, it's down to fighting off the competition in Oakland and how hungry he is.

I also liked Durant, don't know if it was enough to draw some tryouts or how the contracts work in the CFL, at one time I recall the CFL had a one player could make unlimited money with the rest of the team under a reasonable salary cap.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... ry-sheets/

UtahRatt wrote:Former 49er Kory Sheets sets CFL record in Grey Cup win

The best football performance of the day did not come in any of the 12 NFL games played on Sunday. Nor will the best performance of the week come when the San Francisco 49ers take on the Washington Redskins on Monday Night Football. The best performance came in the Grey Cup, where the Saskatchewan Roughriders rode a former 49ers running back to a dominating 45-23 victory over the Hamilton Tiger-Cats.

That player was more than just ... a former player. He was more than a practice squadder and preseason standout. He was our future. I'm talking about, of course, Kory Sheets. The man who looked solid for the 49ers and captured the total undying admiration of user KORY SHEETS WAS OUR FUTURE -- as seen in the now-famous Niners Nation fanpost here -- set a Grey Cup (that's like the Super Bowl for them, but with a more mysterious and provocative name) record on Sunday.

Sheets broke the previous record for yardage with 197 on the day, and added two touchdowns as well. The old record of 169 yards was set back in 1956. Sheets' excellent performance earned him the MVP honors for the game. The championship victory (fourth for the Rough Riders, first for Sheets) caps a season in which Sheets put up 1,598 yards off of 287 carries, with 12 touchdowns.
Fast_Eddie_Schenker
Signed One Album Deal on Indy Label

Post by Fast_Eddie_Schenker »

UtahRatt wrote:

Holy SHEET'S! Kory Sheets Signed by the Oakland Raiders!

Thanks Roughriders, I hope he makes a name this time around and adds a bit of respect to what he's accomplished up there. I mentioned I was impressed watching him in The Cup, it made me pull up his history and why Sheets had troubles in the NFL. More shocking he was smuggled by my horrible team.
Loosing Sheets has to hurt the Roughriders. I know he can run, it's down to fighting off the competition in Oakland and how hungry he is.

I also liked Durant, don't know if it was enough to draw some tryouts or how the contracts work in the CFL, at one time I recall the CFL had a one player could make unlimited money with the rest of the team under a reasonable salary cap.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... ry-sheets/

UtahRatt wrote:Former 49er Kory Sheets sets CFL record in Grey Cup win

It's too bad for Sheets that the Raiders signed MJD. Sheets isn't even listed on the Raiders pre-season depth chart. He signed wiht no signing bonus and has been working this winter as a swamper for a trucking company in Estevan, SK. I wish him all the best and I hope he sticks with Oakland. I think Weston Dressler has a real chance to stick as a reciever with Kansas City though.

Youre kind of right regarding Durant and CFL contracts. He's negotiating with the Riders now and there is a chance he could get a multi year deal at around $500,000 a year. Compare that to Sheets $60,000 he made last year.
UtahRatt

Post by UtahRatt »

Fast_Eddie_Schenker wrote:It's too bad for Sheets that the Raiders signed MJD. Sheets isn't even listed on the Raiders pre-season depth chart. He signed wiht no signing bonus and has been working this winter as a swamper for a trucking company in Estevan, SK. I wish him all the best and I hope he sticks with Oakland.
After looking through his history it might be Sheets last shot in the NFL but I see an opening with Oakland. They go through RB's like a meat grinder.

D. McFadden - has never finished a season in his career, his day's are numbered. He may have signed a one year contract but I don't see it lasting him or the contract.

MJD - Is on the decline and had his injuries as well so if MJD or McHamString go down Sheets has an opening.

Jeremy Stewart - He's been more of a special teams guy and Sheet's competition right now, if Sheet's is a worker I can see him stepping over Stewart in camp. The down side is Sheet's age, up side is Sheet's game and Stewart can bounce back to special teams.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Sheet's name come up.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

What I don't know is how good of hands Sheet's has, if he can catch he's in.
Kid-Wicked
Opening for Helix

Post by Kid-Wicked »

sheets will return kicks. that's aboot it.

lions sign steven jyles to back up lulay. not happy aboot that.
UtahRatt

Post by UtahRatt »

Former NFL star Chad Johnson will work out Tuesday with the Montreal Alouettes of the Canadian Football League.
Kid-Wicked
Opening for Helix

Post by Kid-Wicked »

he wants to play in bc but the als own his rights.
WOLF
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by WOLF »

UtahRatt wrote:Former NFL star Chad Johnson will work out Tuesday with the Montreal Alouettes of the Canadian Football League.
Doubt he will stick. Every year our GM brings in a couple of NFL vets to push the current roster. The Als are deep with athletic receivers who know the CFL game: Jamal Richardson, SJ Green,Brandon London, Dave Stala, and Duron Carter (Cris Carter's son - who is a hell of a specimen and will likely make the NFL in a year).
alecjonsludge
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by alecjonsludge »

Will he change his name to Chad Huitcinq if he does make the squad?
UtahRatt

Post by UtahRatt »

alecjonsludge wrote:Will he change his name to Chad Huitcinq if he does make the squad?
Chad Johnson "quatre-vingt-cinq"?
Kid-Wicked
Opening for Helix

Post by Kid-Wicked »

he signed a two year deal.
WOLF
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by WOLF »

Kid-Wicked wrote:he signed a two year deal.
No guaranteed money. He still needs to look good at camp and in pre-season. Als have SJ Green, Jamal Richardson, Duron Carter, Brandon London, and even Dave Stala at receiver, plus they like to throw to their RB.

He's going to have to be a model citizen, and humble/patient, to stick.

As a season ticket holder of the Als, I'm looking forward to seeing how it all unfolds.
WOLF
Cockblocked by Poison

Re: CFL 2014 thread

Post by WOLF »

I'm a lazy ass, so just continuing last year's thread.

The opening weekend showed how dominant the West looks to be this year. Can you say "crossover"?!

In all my years as an Alouettes season ticket holder, this will surely be te toughest. Looking forward to Anthony Cavillo being honored on Oct. 13, but that's about it.

Owner and Jim Popp are feuding; Popp's contract expires at year's end and he seems to be on his way out - which would be a huge blow; Ned Flanders is coaching the team and he is NOT the 2nd coming of Marc Trestman; we have the most inexperienced OC in the league; 3/5 of the O-Line is new and inexperienced; Troy Smith has a live arm - too live, he can't get the ball close to his receivers. This ain't going to be fun IMO.

Predictions:

WEST
Saskatchewan
Calgary
BC
Winnipeg
Edmonton

Though IMO 2-5 will be pretty close

EAST
Hamilton
Toronto
Montreal
Ottawa

Nothing special here. .500 might win the division and I definitely see a crossover, with an all Western final very possible.

Green Riders are the class of the league IMO.

Enjoy the season boys. I won't...