NCAA Football...why dont we have a thread for it?

A place to talk about sports, athletes and jock itch.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

BodyBagz
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

NCAA Football...why dont we have a thread for it?

Post by BodyBagz »

Come on...surely I cant be the only fan of College Football? This is the only real sport that I live for 3-4 months out of the year!

Preseason rankings!
AP Polls for the first 6 games then the BCS Poll pops up and shit starts going sideways quickly!
Next year we finally get a play-off, even though its only a 4 team scheme and would have been better if it were at least 6 and possibly 10 in order to get the full Top 10 a chance.

Anybody else see a possible "end-around" by Auburn if they beat Alabama in the Iron Bowl and LSU takes Bama on Nov 9th? Wouldnt that be a trip...and its a real possibility...stranger shit has happened.

What about an undefeated Ohio State getting nudged out by a 1 loss Oregon or FSU since Strength of Schedule plays such an important role in the BCS equation?
"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master." - George Washington
Alabama Slammer

Re: NCAA Football...why dont we have a thread for it?

Post by Alabama Slammer »

Probably because you and I are the only two poster on Sludge that give a shit about it.

I tried to get one going several years ago, and it might as well have been a Heenan Snuka thread.
eddie lee roth
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by eddie lee roth »

I've often wondered that myself.

I started a thread a few weeks back when all those upsets in the SEC happened but it didn't have much legs to it.

That being said I live in Soonerville and last night was just too Goddamn depressing.
NeverSurrender
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by NeverSurrender »

Alabama Slammer wrote:Probably because you and I are the only two poster on Sludge that give a shit about it.
I like it too. I just don't follow it as closely as I do NFL, The Dodgers and NHL, so it makes it harder to discuss.
Heenan Snuka
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by Heenan Snuka »

Alabama Slammer wrote:
I tried to get one going several years ago, and it might as well have been a Heenan Snuka thread.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Stoner wrote:
...we stopped at a restaurant to eat and I was wearing a Sludge shirt. Someone came up and asked me if I read the messageboard - I touched cloth for a split second and then said the shirt was my husband's and just looked at them retardedly.
UtahRatt
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by UtahRatt »

NeverSurrender wrote:I like it too. I just don't follow it as closely as I do NFL, The Dodgers and NHL, so it makes it harder to discuss.
So you wouldn't know their name's or what they played? :lol:

We already have an NCAA Football thread, it's called Johnny Manziel since that's all ESPN would talk about when the season started!
Johnny Manziel?
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=296199

Nebraska's hail mary last week should be mentioned if we're going to start a thread!

Nebraska Hail Mary vs Northwestern
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2GR28uZrsg
poizond13 wrote:I have been very bummed out, sad and shocked for most of the night
Artemis2085 wrote:so I blurt out "I love you Paul!
Atomicpunk18 wrote:You see Black Crowes music has gotten me laid multiple times.
UtahRatt

Post by UtahRatt »

Nebraska 17 Michigan 13

8)

Michigan 36 rushes for -21yards
poizond13 wrote:I have been very bummed out, sad and shocked for most of the night
Atomicpunk18 wrote:You see Black Crowes music has gotten me laid multiple times.
UtahRatt

Post by UtahRatt »

Mississippi St 41 - (15) Texas A&M 51

Johnny Manziel throws 5 TDs, 3 interceptions in Texas A&M's win
Manziel better get use to INT's because when he hit's the NFL he's going to throw a ton. He's a bitch and I hope he goes to the Vikings where he'll end up sucking forever.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(2) Florida State 59 - Wake Forest 3

Wake Forest - 6 INT's 1 Fumble

I would draft "Jameis Winston" from FSU.

-----------------------------------------------------------

(3) Oregon 20 (5) Stanford 26

Ducks held scoreless in the first 3 quarters.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
BodyBagz

Post by BodyBagz »

Glad to see some people decided to post... 8)

This past week has been a great NCAA football week/weekend.

#2 Oregon got demolished by Stanford, and for the 2nd time in 2 years, the Ducks get derailed on the road to a National Championship by the Stanford Cardinal. Stanford is the closet thing to a smash-mouth SEC type team the PAC 12 has. If Oregon had really wanted Alabama before, I wonder how they are thinking now?

#6 Baylor kicks the ever-loving shit out of #10 Oklahoma...and are now looking to be this years real contenders for the BCS Buster. Do they have enough left to get ahead of Ohio State?

#3 Florida State had their trainers and waterboys playing in the 3rd quarter against Wake Forest...and rightfully so. Thanks to that beating and Oregon losing, FSU could have possibly sewn up one of the 2 berths in the BCS National Championship provided they get the win in the ACC title game.

#1 Alabama laid low in the 1st half, but came alive in the 2nd to knock Zach Mettenburger and #13 LSU damn near unconscious! You know your ass is whooped when your quarterback has to crawl off the field after being sacked on 4 consecutive downs! If Alabama can get through Auburn on Nov 30th, and then likely Mizzou in the SEC Championship, then they have sealed their fate and 1 of the berths in the BCS National Championship...and a possible 3rd straight BCS Championship, and 4th in 5 years...unprecedented!

#9 Auburn completely destroyed Tennessee...this was actually kind of hard to watch. Gus Malzahn, the genius behind the curtain of Auburns National Championship team from a few years ago has the Tigers firing on all cylinders...they will be a Supreme match-up for the Crimson Tide down the road.

New #3 Ohio State is still just cruising along...no future stoppage is in the path this year...and as such, the BCS will skip them for a better 1 Loss team when bowl plans come about. The best they can hope for is a Rose Bowl against the PAC 12 Champs(likely Oregon/Stanford)

This year is turning out to be a pretty damn good year all around. There are some quality 1 Loss teams still hanging around in the Top 10: Mizzou, Auburn, Stanford, Oregon, and Clemson...anyone of which is just waiting for an unbeaten to come along and fall and allow them to move up...
"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master." - George Washington
UtahRatt

Post by UtahRatt »

BodyBagz wrote:#6 Baylor kicks the ever-loving shit out of #10 Oklahoma...and are now looking to be this years real contenders for the BCS Buster. Do they have enough left to get ahead of Ohio State?
God I hope so, fuck the BCS.

BodyBagz wrote: #1 Alabama laid low in the 1st half, but came alive in the 2nd to knock Zach Mettenburger and #13 LSU damn near unconscious! You know your ass is whooped when your quarterback has to crawl off the field after being sacked on 4 consecutive downs! If Alabama can get through Auburn on Nov 30th, and then likely Mizzou in the SEC Championship, then they have sealed their fate and 1 of the berths in the BCS National Championship...and a possible 3rd straight BCS Championship, and 4th in 5 years...unprecedented!

#9 Auburn completely destroyed Tennessee...this was actually kind of hard to watch. Gus Malzahn, the genius behind the curtain of Auburns National Championship team from a few years ago has the Tigers firing on all cylinders...they will be a Supreme match-up for the Crimson Tide down the road.
Auburn vs Alabama - Can't wait, I'd love to see Auburn win. The one thing I absolutely don't want is Alabama as national champs, not huge on Florida teams either but I'll take FSU over Bama.

So I'm praying for a BCS clusterfuck and Bama to lose.
Redman77
Beer & Titty King

Post by Redman77 »

UtahRatt wrote:Nebraska 17 Michigan 13

8)

Michigan 36 rushes for -21yards
saracapri wrote: It's true. I'm wild for buttsex.
NeverSurrender

Post by NeverSurrender »

I'm loling at all these FSU fans and of course the Oregon fans have stopped.

"We want Bama."

No you don't. They're the best paid team in College Football history, and they're going to crush you. It's your destiny. Then in 3 seasons they will take their trophies away, but the school will still have all that money they made because of it.
BodyBagz

Post by BodyBagz »

Wow...I really love the Alabama hate. :lol:

No one wants to see Alabama play for a 3rd straight championship...because they know that Bama has the ability to beat any team on a given day. Thats truth.

FSU has a great team this year, but I truly think they dont have what it takes to knock the mighty Tide from off their lofty perch. Nick Saban, love him or hate him, has put together a game plan at the University of Alabama over the last 7 years that just simply works! He has convinced his players to buy into his ideas, and convinced them that they can beat any team that gets put in front of them, and so far, it has worked. Texas A&M has been the only stumbling block in their path the last 2 years...they have been the only team this year to put up any serious points and serious yardage, and yet Bama still came out on top.

As for the "best paid team in college football", well, all I can say is in 7 years, why hasnt the NCAA been able to come in and drop the hammer on the University of Alabama? If Saban is buying his players outright, where was the NCAA when he was at LSU? Moreover, if Saban/UoA are paying their players, then they are just doing what everyone else is right? So why all the butt-hurt?

Next thing you will bitch about is the SEC bias...then it will be Out Of Conference play...then it will be favorable bowl games so the SEC teams dont have to play in inclimate weather...it all never stops. Sour grapes must have a great taste seeing as sooooo many people are always chomping on them... :wink:
BodyBagz

Post by BodyBagz »

Phil Knight...Oregons #1 Beneficiary...Oregon loses to Stanford on Thursday...Saturday night Phil is in Tuscaloosa to watch Alabama drop LSU...and hes sporting Bama gear... 8)

NeverSurrender

Post by NeverSurrender »

BodyBagz wrote:Wow...I really love the Alabama hate. :lol:

Everybody knows they're paying. And you will know too when your team gets USC'd.

http://totalfratmove.com/former-alabama ... nts-later/
BodyBagz

Post by BodyBagz »

NeverSurrender wrote:
BodyBagz wrote:Wow...I really love the Alabama hate. :lol:

Everybody knows they're paying. And you will know too when your team gets USC'd.

http://totalfratmove.com/former-alabama ... nts-later/
You linked to a story about DJ Fluker, a single player who said he accepted money from Agents...not the University. And so far, nothing out of the NCAA as far as an ongoing investigation...was this what you were trying to do?

Its going to take something like the Reggie Bush debacle to come out in order for USC type sanctions, and I dont see that happening to Alabama...
NeverSurrender

Post by NeverSurrender »

Let's not pretend a couple other things haven't come up too.

The thing that may save you is the SEC may be too big for the NCAA now.

I hope you really don't believe that all the biggest programs don't have some paying going on. They do. To think otherwise is naive.
BodyBagz

Post by BodyBagz »

NeverSurrender wrote:Let's not pretend a couple other things haven't come up too.

The thing that may save you is the SEC may be too big for the NCAA now.

I hope you really don't believe that all the biggest programs don't have some paying going on. They do. To think otherwise is naive.
Oh, no doubt there is some "payolla" going on. I never said otherwise. What I did say however, is that I dont believe Alabama has gone to the extremes that USC did with Reggie Bush...no players from Alabama have had their parents bought a new home, or are driving expensive cars. The Auburn/Can Newton debacle is the closet thing any SEC team has had happen to date, and even that was washed away....

The NCAA needs to go to the drawing board and come up with a feasible plan for allowing student-athletes to earn some of the money for themselves that they are generating for the school. Alabama Crimson Tide football alone pays for almost all other sports programs on campus...including the salary of Nick Saban and his staff. Thats a very large piece of pie no matter how you slice it....and the student-athletes deserve at the very least a small portion of it...
Machado
"Thread Vaginosis"

Post by Machado »

IMO, CFB Top 25 rankings should not be made available until after the first 4 weeks of the season.
Doing that will get rid of all the overhyped teams and it will also serve a fine purpose:
Ranks the teams per the on field performance and not which players are returning or who the recruiting class is, etc......

The BCS standings are not perfect, but they are necessary without a true football playoff system.

In the BCS standings I think having 1 loss should impact your ranking greatly. Does not matter if you lost to a top team or an unranked team.
Currently Baylor is slightly behind Stanford in the BCS, despite not having lost a game(Stanford lost already)
WTF!!
Where is the logic there?
The 4 major teams that have not yet suffered a loss should be in the
Top 4 of the BCS standings today. No question about it.
BodyBagz

Post by BodyBagz »

Machado wrote:IMO, CFB Top 25 rankings should not be made available until after the first 4 weeks of the season.
Doing that will get rid of all the overhyped teams and it will also serve a fine purpose:
Ranks the teams per the on field performance and not which players are returning or who the recruiting class is, etc......

The BCS standings are not perfect, but they are necessary without a true football playoff system.

In the BCS standings I think having 1 loss should impact your ranking greatly. Does not matter if you lost to a top team or an unranked team.
Currently Baylor is slightly behind Stanford in the BCS, despite not having lost a game(Stanford lost already)
WTF!!
Where is the logic there?
The 4 major teams that have not yet suffered a loss should be in the
Top 4 of the BCS standings today. No question about it.
I agree about the rankings. I really see no reason to have pre-season rankings out there at all, and really would like to see the first 5 or 6 games played before any rankings are published. This would be a better barometer for where teams are across the board.

I dont ever see that happening though. Likewise, you will always have a 1 loss team ranked ahead on a lossless team as long as the 1 loss team has what is considered the tougher schedule or comes from a lower/easier conference. This is why Baylor is ranked lower than Stanford at the moment. Personally, I think all unbeaten teams should be ranked higher than any teams with a loss, regardless of what conference they play in. Like has always been stated, any team can beat any other team on any given day...let them prove it on the field...

People scream about OOC play and playing "cup cake" teams, but fail to understand that those cup cake teams rely on those games for pay days...Chattanooga will make more from their game against Alabama than they will for likely all the other games they play this year. Scheduling OOC play takes 2 teams...Alabama cany go and play UCLA if UCLA doesnt want to play Alabama...as well as you have to factor in the cost of hotel rooms and getting 70+ people to and from the agreed upon playing site...that is a major financial burden...and each team would prefer home advantage or at the very least neutral playing fields...this all has to be taken into consideration.

I would love to see an Alabama schedule that looked like this in say 2014 or 2015:
Week 1 vs Oregon @ Oregon(PAC 12)
Week 2 vs Oklahoma @ Alabama(Big 12)
Week 3 - Bye Week
Week 4 vs LSU @ LSU(SEC)
Week 5 vs Texas A&M @ Alabama(SEC)
Week 6 vs Penn State @ Penn State(Big 10)
Week 7 vs Georgia @ Alabama(SEC)
Week 8 vs Ole Miss @ Ole Miss(SEC)
Week 9 vs Clemson @ Alabama(ACC)
Week 10 vs Notre Dame @ Notre Dame(Ind)
Week 11 vs Missouri @ Missouri(SEC)
Week 12 vs Boise State @ Boise State(MWC)
Week 13 - Bye week
Week 14 vs Auburn @ Alabama(SEC)
I believe Alabama could win against every one of those teams on that list as well...and none of them are pushovers IMO, and are all fair representations of their respective conferences. :wink:
UtahRatt

Post by UtahRatt »

BodyBagz wrote:The NCAA needs to go to the drawing board and come up with a feasible plan for allowing student-athletes to earn some of the money for themselves that they are generating for the school.
Student-athletes get money and it's called scholarships. The money generated should go back into the school and help lower the fucking cost of getting an education not to put money in a players pocket because he can catch a ball. If he's in on a scholarship just to play ball then he should expect to get paid when he gets out and gets a job just like anyone else working towards a degree.

Fuck these dumb ass players who eat up educational time and money so they can get all the breaks and free rides through school then expect a pay day as a student all while not giving one fuck about the reason the school is there for in the first place.

I wished there was an NFL breeding ground like the minor leagues in baseball. It would help give educations to people who want them.
Rainbow Bright
Playing Second Stage at SludgeFest

Post by Rainbow Bright »

BodyBagz wrote:Phil Knight...Oregons #1 Beneficiary...Oregon loses to Stanford on Thursday...Saturday night Phil is in Tuscaloosa to watch Alabama drop LSU...and hes sporting Bama gear... 8)

I fucking hate that guy. Phil could do alot of good in Nike Town. Instead he builds nothing but athletic shit and has someone fly him over campus in a helicopter. Especially during the Nike Track Nationals. (Whom are staffed by the biggest pricks I've ever encountered. Not surprising considering Uncle Phil is a douche canoe of a human.)

While Oregon State does receive some nice cash from Reser and Nike, its nothing compared to the billions Phil has wrapped up at his alta mater. Its akin to running a NFL team. Except the players don't get paid...legally.
Machado
"Thread Vaginosis"

Post by Machado »

FSU QB Jameis Winston is probably looking over his shoulder right now, just waiting for the hammer to fall.

Appears local police covered up his sexual assault charges so he could stay on the team.
WTF!!!!

FSU has a school rule where any player charged with a sexual assault
would be automatically benched, i.e. there goes his Heisman Trophy pursuit and possibly a birth in the National Championship game.

WTF!!!
UtahRatt

Post by UtahRatt »

(16) Michigan State vs Nebraska & (25) Georgia vs (7) Auburn

Go Nebraska, Go Auburn.

Mich State #1 Defense....If the Wolverines was able to put up 6 vs State, Neb should be able to put up 40+. Hope Nebraska runs them over, Cornhuskers should make it a close game, in the first quarter.
MickeyG
Doing 20 Questions with Metal Sludge

Post by MickeyG »

UtahRatt wrote:
BodyBagz wrote:The NCAA needs to go to the drawing board and come up with a feasible plan for allowing student-athletes to earn some of the money for themselves that they are generating for the school.
Student-athletes get money and it's called scholarships. The money generated should go back into the school and help lower the fucking cost of getting an education not to put money in a players pocket because he can catch a ball. If he's in on a scholarship just to play ball then he should expect to get paid when he gets out and gets a job just like anyone else working towards a degree.

Fuck these dumb ass players who eat up educational time and money so they can get all the breaks and free rides through school then expect a pay day as a student all while not giving one fuck about the reason the school is there for in the first place.

I wished there was an NFL breeding ground like the minor leagues in baseball. It would help give educations to people who want them.
Hear, hear!!
BodyBagz

Post by BodyBagz »

Auburn is putting on a Run Offense clinic for Georgia. I love Georgia, and I wished Aaron Murray was walking away with atleast an SEC Championship under his belt, but damn, his O-Line just never seems to help him as much as they should... Looks like Georgia is trying to come alive in the 4th...this might get interesting in the last 5 minutes... :lol:

I will be tuning in to watch Baylor vs Texas Tech as well while I am watching the Crimson Tide hopefully push through Mississippi State on their road to a 3rd straight BCS Championship berth...should be a good game.

**Edited to change game viewing...forgot LSU vs Texas A&M is next week...**
UtahRatt

Post by UtahRatt »

UtahRatt wrote:(16) Michigan State vs Nebraska & (25) Georgia vs (7) Auburn

Go Nebraska, Go Auburn.

Mich State #1 Defense....If the Wolverines was able to put up 6 vs State, Neb should be able to put up 40+. Hope Nebraska runs them over, Cornhuskers should make it a close game, in the first quarter.
(16) Michigan State 41 vs Nebraska 28

Nebraska beats MS or equals in every statistic except.........Giving up 5 turn overs! 4 fumbles and one INT? Turn overs leading to 17 points in the first half alone. Still fought back to be down by 6 going into the 4th but that's where they gave up. Butter fingers fumble fuckers.

No hail mary's this week for NEB.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
(25) Georgia 38 vs (7) Auburn 43

AUBURN WINS ON HAIL MARY!

Auburn leads 37 to 17 in the 4th fucking quarter when all hell breaks loose. Georgia puts up 21 to take the lead 38-37 leaving Auburn to toss up a Hail Mary with .25 left on the clock...43-38 Auburn.
With 25 seconds left, Georgia gets the ball down to the Auburn 20yd line but couldn't convert with 3 seconds left.

What a 4th quarter. AUBURN WINS! Fuck off Georgia.
UtahRatt

Post by UtahRatt »

(4) Stanford 17 vs USC 20 - HA HA, USC beats #4 Stanford.

(23) Miami 30 vs Duke 48 - HA HA, Duke beats #23 Miami

---------------------------------------------------------------------

(1) Alabama 20 vs Mississippi St 7 - WOW, impressive win over Miss ST, didn't know Miss ST had a football program, 1-5 in conference play. HUGE win.

AJ McCarron looked solid with 2INT's and 4 team turnovers.

------------------------------------------------

Hope they keep it up.....Auburn vs Alabama

I'll covert to Islam to watch Bama get burned.
BodyBagz

Post by BodyBagz »

So, where do we stand this weekend..if you are an Alabama fan like me, on shaky ground. If you are a NCAA Football fan like me, then you were once again pretty damned excited...there were some great games again Saturday...

#1 Alabama gets past Mississippi State by the skin of their teeth, and do it in the ugliest of ways...multiple interceptions, multiple fumbles and multiple unnecessary face mask penalties. This "win" may do more damage in the polls...

#2 Florida State goes out and hangs 59 points on Syracuse...the Seminoles are dangerous this year. There is a very real possibility that FSU will overtake Alabama in the BCS Poll and move into the #1 spot...stranger things have happened, and it might actually light a fire under Alabama...

#3 Ohio State did what its done all year, won out over an under-matched team, keeping their smooth-sailing ship on a course of winning and praying that Alabama, FSU and Baylor will get losses before the end of the season. Look for this team to be back and be just as strong next year, but with a tougher schedule of sorts.

#4 Stanford fell to unranked USC...watch for them to fall back below #6 Oregon who they beat a week ago, and the same #6 Oregon team that came out and hung 44 points on Utah today. The Ducks will likely stay at #6...beating Utah, its not that big of a deal(Utah is 4-6 on the season)

#5 Baylor came out and almost doubled-up on Texas Tech, hanging 63 points at the end of the game! Baylor is for real folks...and this win might give them leverage to push passed Ohio State now that Stanford lost to USC today. The margin between Ohio State(.8926) and Stanford(.8689) was .0237 points...the margin between Stanford(.8689) and Baylor(.8618) was .0061 points...not a lot of meat left on the bone between the 3 of them.

#7 Auburn...what the hell do you think Gus is putting in the kool-aide down on the Plains this year? What a win! Look for the Tigers to move up as well as leap-frog over Oregon and take the #5 position, 1st of the 1-Loss teams...and they deserve it. With this win, Auburn has forced Alabama to beat them in the Iron Bowl in order to be selected as the SEC West contender in the SEC Championship. Talk about a war coming...it will be an awesome day Nov 29th to be an SEC football fan....

(Baylor does in fact leap frog Ohio State in the AP Poll, moving into the #3 spot)
johnk5150

Post by johnk5150 »

Remember when you knew which schools were in which conference ?

The money grabbing conference hopping has completely turned me off college athletics.
He's like the Liberace of bass & pot.

$tevil