Mike Tyson:Undisputed truth

A place to talk about sports, athletes and jock itch.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

BodyBagz
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Mike Tyson:Undisputed truth

Post by BodyBagz »

Anyone else watched this yet? IMDB description

Fascinating one-man show of Tysons life directed by Spike Lee. Iron Mike pulls no punches(pun intended) in telling about his early life all the way through his stint in jail on Rape charges and filling out with his 4 years of sobriety...well done all the way around. If I have 1 complaint, it would be that sometimes Mike is hard to understand because he still tends to get excited and trip over big words coupled with his improved speech impediment...

"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master." - George Washington
Crazy Levi
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Re: Mike Tyson:Undisputed truth

Post by Crazy Levi »

Four years of sobriety?!

I just read in a recent interview that he was working on 4 days of sobriety and had supposedly just given up blow
Alias

Post by Alias »

I saw part of it on HBO. He sure does a lot of hating on whites and Jews. Good thing its impossible for black people to be racist or there would be a lot of backlash.
What the hell was that all about?
BodyBagz

Post by BodyBagz »

Alias wrote:I saw part of it on HBO. He sure does a lot of hating on whites and Jews. Good thing its impossible for black people to be racist or there would be a lot of backlash.
To be fair, he hates on Blacks more than Whites or Jews... :lol: Especially the Black women who are #`s 1 & 2 on his list of most hated.... :shock:
"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master." - George Washington
aceshigh
Doing Package Tours in Theaters

Post by aceshigh »

BodyBagz wrote:
Alias wrote:I saw part of it on HBO. He sure does a lot of hating on whites and Jews. Good thing its impossible for black people to be racist or there would be a lot of backlash.
To be fair, he hates on Blacks more than Whites or Jews... :lol: Especially the Black women who are #`s 1 & 2 on his list of most hated.... :shock:
Not to mention calling Don King the devil.

Which he is.
You either Smoke, or you get Smoked!
BodyBagz

Post by BodyBagz »

I know there are people that will hate on Tyson, but I will always be a fan of his. Theres no denying the fact that he was, and still may be, the baddest fucking ever heavyweight. Now before you string me up, bear in mind I LOVE Muhammad Ali..have since I was a kid, but pound for pound, Tyson was better IMO. Hell, Tyson won his first 19 professional bouts by knockout, 12 of them in the first round...thats pretty damn impressive given where he came from...

At no time was Ali as ferocious in the ring as Mike was...granted, Ali had to fight 12 and 15 rounders back in the day, but ask yourself, which would you rather fight, Ali in 12 or Tyson in 5? Me, I`m getting in that long ass line behind Ali...atleast when he wins you can still have higher functions...Tyson beat people into mild retardation...

I truly think had Cus D'Amato lived another 5 years and kept Don Kings claws away that Iron Mike would have never lost his shit, and ultimately his belt. Don King is, has been and will always be a cancerous growth on any fighter he latches onto. Add him to someone like Tyson and its no wonder Tyson fell apart...

BTW, its worth watching this if for no other reason than getting to see the 13 count of Buster Douglas when Mike dropped him in the 8th in their fight...sure as fuck looks like a very slow start to the count to me... :lol:
Crazy Levi

Post by Crazy Levi »

Sorry man, I don't buy that shit for a second. If Ali I'm his prime and Tyson in his went at it, Ali would win. At least 2 out of 3.

Ali had a terrific chin and was the fastest heavyweight ever. And we all know after a couple of rounds - even at his best - Tyson started to lose that one punch knockout power

Ali would have made him miss, frustrated him, and then started popping him. Ali would have won by a KO in 7 or 8 rounds.

Foreman also would have beat Tyson. I think even the post-comeback foreman could have best him. Short stocky guys like Tyson (down goes Frazier!!!!) were ready made for george.

No doubt Tyson during his (brief) prime was an excellent fighter and he mopped up a weak division in the late 1980s, but no way do I think he's "pound for pound" better than the greatest heavyweights in history.

Ali had a way of dealing with "ferocious" bullies and Tyson would have been no different.

Also - you should be ashamed of yourself for buying into that stupid "long count" bullsht. Nobody took that seriously when it happened. It was all a ploy by don king and his puppets and its been long forgotten. Is Spike Lee seriously resurrecting that horseshit? What an asshole he is if he's giving that some credibility.
Crazy Levi

Post by Crazy Levi »

Jesus Christ, really?! "Long Count?!"

Holy fuck man.

Larry merchant on this ridiculous bullshit:

But Tyson finally rallied in the eighth round, as he decked Douglas with an uppercut that floored the challenger from Columbus, Ohio. It was a moment that defined Douglas’ performance that evening. The guy who had packed it in before, in rough spots, gathered himself and fought on. However, there was controversy as promoter Don King and WBC President Jose Sulaiman argued that referee Octavio Meyran had administered a “long count.” Merchant says of that knockdown, "One, it was really clear that Douglas was capable of getting up at a much earlier count, if he had to. He was on his haunches; he was looking at the referee. He could’ve gotten up at five, six or seven and the whole idea that this was a ’long count’ scenario is entirely specious. But it’s become, I guess, a part of the legend for those who believe that Mike Tyson was invincible."

The most shameful aspect of this story is how King and Sulaiman attempted to change the fight into a Tyson knockout, arguing that his knockdown should have really been a KO, thus trumping what took place in the tenth frame.

"I’ve never seen anything as brazen. To overturn a knockout?!" Merchant said with a laugh, still in shock over King’s and Sulaiman’s actions. "There were lawsuits about this and I was called as a witness. It was an arbitration and I said, ’Look, this is just an example of some guys trying to win a fight outside the ring that they couldn’t inside the ring.’ And I asked Sulaiman, ’Do you know of anything like this in the history of boxing, where a knockout was over-turned?’ He said, ’Oh, sure,’ I said, ’Yeah?’ He said, ’ I’ll get back to you, I’ll let you know.’”

Two decades later, Merchant still hasn’t gotten his answer from the WBC dictator.
DEATH ROW JOE

Post by DEATH ROW JOE »

BodyBagz wrote:Theres no denying the fact that he was, and still may be, the baddest fucking ever heavyweight.
I hope for your sake that you are trolling.

Joe Frazier Tribute - Forever Smokin'
http://youtu.be/70wkapm-9XI
Frett_Bored

Post by Frett_Bored »

Yeah, the "Long Count" argument is a joke.

Boxers are trained to listen to the ref, not some invisible count that magically begins when the loser of the fight says it does.
Crazy Levi

Post by Crazy Levi »

And despite what morons think, there is no rule that says "ten seconds."

It's a count of ten.

Long count. Lol.

Tyson got his ass kicked that night. Brutally.
Frett_Bored

Post by Frett_Bored »

Crazy Levi wrote:And despite what morons think, there is no rule that says "ten seconds."

It's a count of ten.

Long count. Lol.

Tyson got his ass kicked that night. Brutally.
Yeah, I would even go so far as to say that Douglas would've had a shot even if Tyson had prepared properly and still had Rooney. It was the perfect fight plan.
John Simon Ritchie

Post by John Simon Ritchie »

Tyson better than Ali? Crazy talk.
"I was looking for that great jazz note that destroyed the walls of Jericho." - The Clash, The Sound Of Sinners
dtmfs
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by dtmfs »

Tyson is one of the most overrated fighters ever, what was his signature win? a past his prime holmes, a natural light heavy in spinks, Trevor fucking Berbick? when the dude fought the best HW's of his era He got demolished(Lewis/Holyfield).
Crazy Levi

Post by Crazy Levi »

dtmfs wrote:Tyson is one of the most overrated fighters ever, what was his signature win? a past his prime holmes, a natural light heavy in spinks, Trevor fucking Berbick? when the dude fought the best HW's of his era He got demolished(Lewis/Holyfield).
Tyson didn't fight Lewis or Holyfield in his prime.

I don't think he's overrated. As a matter of fact, you don't hear too many people ranking him in the top fighters of all time anymore.

Maybe he WAS overrated back in the 1980s but Buster put an end to that.

Tyson beat everyone they put in front of him for 5 years. He was AWESOME over that time period, he was great defensively and had astounding power. Everybody knows he started to decline in a big way once Don King got his claws into him and drove out Cus holdover Kevin Rooney. It's not Tyson's fault the heavyweight division was so weak in the 1980s. Don't forget, Larry Holmes profited handsomely from that fact as well - who did he ever beat? An ancient shot Ali? An aging Ken Norton? Mike fucking Weaver? He couldn't even beat the same Spinks who Tyson knocked out in 90 seconds.

Put 1987 Tyson in the ring with Holyfield or Lewis (or Holmes) at their best and I think Tyson might have won those fights.
Machado
"Thread Vaginosis"

Post by Machado »

Crazy Levi wrote:
dtmfs wrote:Tyson is one of the most overrated fighters ever, what was his signature win? a past his prime holmes, a natural light heavy in spinks, Trevor fucking Berbick? when the dude fought the best HW's of his era He got demolished(Lewis/Holyfield).
Tyson didn't fight Lewis or Holyfield in his prime.

I don't think he's overrated. As a matter of fact, you don't hear too many people ranking him in the top fighters of all time anymore.

Maybe he WAS overrated back in the 1980s but Buster put an end to that.

Tyson beat everyone they put in front of him for 5 years. He was AWESOME over that time period, he was great defensively and had astounding power. Everybody knows he started to decline in a big way once Don King got his claws into him and drove out Cus holdover Kevin Rooney. It's not Tyson's fault the heavyweight division was so weak in the 1980s. Don't forget, Larry Holmes profited handsomely from that fact as well - who did he ever beat? An ancient shot Ali? An aging Ken Norton? Mike fucking Weaver? He couldn't even beat the same Spinks who Tyson knocked out in 90 seconds.

Put 1987 Tyson in the ring with Holyfield or Lewis (or Holmes) at their best and I think Tyson might have won those fights.
Levi-
You're damn right Tyson wins those fights. Probably by KO.
No chance those fighters would be able to withstand the punches by
Tyson over the course of 10 or 12 rounds.

When Holmes defeated Ali in '79 or '80, Holmes was actually taking it easy on Ali out of respect and their personal history together.
Let's not get carried away with that victory over Ali. Not much of a feather in Holmes' cap.
Matter of fact, ESPN produced a wonderful documentary about that fight.

Don King ruined Tyson.
This 1 man show goes into some detail about their relationship or how Don was able to charge Tyson about $8,000 a month for "towels".
WTF!!!
Crazy Levi

Post by Crazy Levi »

I know that Holmes beat an Ali who could literally barely stand up due to age, ring beatings, and a quack doctor who had him on fucking Thyroid pills.

My point is you can play the "overrate" game with any champion - it's easy after the fact to pick on their competition, or focus on losses they took way past their prime.

It's become pretty popular to denigrate Tyson these days because "he didn't beat anybody" but the fact of the matter is he was easily the best fighter in the division for five years and beat everyone they put in front of him. He beat former champions (both amateur and pro) and made it look EASY.

If anything, the tendency these days has been to underrate Tyson, not overrate.

He also didn't duck - which is another claim you see on him these days. He was signed to fight Holyfield TWICE but Buster Douglas and Prison got in the way. He fought a very tough fighter - Razor Ruddock - twice before he was sent to prison, which effectively ended any last traces of his prime. Who did he duck? Riddick Bowe? Come on.

By the time Tyson finally met up with Holyfield his defensive skills were worse than ever, and by the time he finally fought Lewis he was totally shot.
Cyber Spirit
Doing 20 Questions with Metal Sludge

Post by Cyber Spirit »

Tysons speed and accuracy of punch would have troubled any heavyweight
from any era.

I do believe though that he would have had problems with some of the heavys from the 70s as most of them had great chins.He would have been in dog fights and Mike didn't respond too well when he was seriously challenged.

I honestly couldn't see him ever beating Ali if they fought each other at their peak.Ali would have found it easier hitting Tyson than he did with Frazier.As mentioned above,Ali had a great chin too.
BodyBagz

Post by BodyBagz »

Glad to see my thread stirred up some feelings... :lol:

Look, Like I said, I LOVE Ali...he is by far and away my favorite pro boxer ever, but lets be realistic for a minute. Ali was known for wearing down his opponents and out pointing them...he was never known as a pure power puncher, he was a stylaized tactician if anything. Now Tyson on the other hand, was the direct opposite of Ali...he was a pure bred street fighter with just enough training to call him a "boxer" in the loosest sense of the word..he was like a pit bull unchained. Take 1970-1975 Ali and stick him in the ring with 1980-1985 Mike Tyson and I have no doubt that Tyson would be victorious 9 out of 10 fights...his raw punching power, deadly accuracy coupled with his willingness to get in close would give him the advantage against Ali who liked to be able to throw long punches and get back out of reach quickly.

I have no problem with putting Tyson in my Top 10 of all time greatest professional boxers...all weights considered...

Muhammed Ali
George Foreman
Mike Tyson
Rocky Marciano
Joe Louis
Floyd Mayweather
Roberto Duran
Sugar Ray Leonard
Oscar de la Hoya
Julio Cesar Chavez
Manny Pacquiao
dtmfs
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by dtmfs »

Levi-
You're damn right Tyson wins those fights. Probably by KO.
No chance those fighters would be able to withstand the punches by
Tyson over the course of 10 or 12 rounds.
LOL, Holyfield had a granite chin and wasent the least bit intimidated by him, in their first fight when Holyfield was older and been in more wars than Mike Holyfield took everything mike had, go on youtube and watch the first big punch that landed, once Evander took that it was all over for Tyson. Lewis would've killed him too, hell Tyson has talked about how He hated getting his ass handed to him when they were both teens and sparred, Lewis and Tyson are the 2 best heavys of their era, look at their respective resumes and the fact that both were OLDER than Tyson when they destroyed him and it's not even a discussion, Tyson was his own worst enemy He had the tools but not the heart He was a bully that never wanted any part of those 2 and it showed in the ring when he was beaten from pillar to post.
dtmfs
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by dtmfs »

BodyBagz wrote:Glad to see my thread stirred up some feelings... :lol:

Look, Like I said, I LOVE Ali...he is by far and away my favorite pro boxer ever, but lets be realistic for a minute. Ali was known for wearing down his opponents and out pointing them...he was never known as a pure power puncher, he was a stylaized tactician if anything. Now Tyson on the other hand, was the direct opposite of Ali...he was a pure bred street fighter with just enough training to call him a "boxer" in the loosest sense of the word..he was like a pit bull unchained. Take 1970-1975 Ali and stick him in the ring with 1980-1985 Mike Tyson and I have no doubt that Tyson would be victorious 9 out of 10 fights...his raw punching power, deadly accuracy coupled with his willingness to get in close would give him the advantage against Ali who liked to be able to throw long punches and get back out of reach quickly.

I have no problem with putting Tyson in my Top 10 of all time greatest professional boxers...all weights considered...

Muhammed Ali
George Foreman
Mike Tyson
Rocky Marciano
Joe Louis
Floyd Mayweather
Roberto Duran
Sugar Ray Leonard
Oscar de la Hoya
Julio Cesar Chavez
Manny Pacquiao
a list with Tyson and no Sugar Ray Robinson :shock: :shock: