A Football Life : Lyle Alzado

A place to talk about sports, athletes and jock itch.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

Rageman
MSX Tour Support Act

A Football Life : Lyle Alzado

Post by Rageman »

I remember loving his play and intensity on the field, after watching that documentary, I now realize steroids had a lot to do with his performance but very little to do with his drive. One phrase popped up in almost every review I've read about this show. "Tortured Soul"

I thought his story is a bit similar to Charlie Chaplin's. Both were extremely popular and beloved by fans but both were miserable in their personal lives.

Anybody else dig this show?
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
midnighttoker
Headlining Clubs

Re: A Football Life : Lyle Alzado

Post by midnighttoker »

shit i missed it but wanted to watch it.
I'm a drunken idiot who gave the board his password ;)
Machado
"Thread Vaginosis"

Post by Machado »

midnighttoker wrote:shit i missed it but wanted to watch it.
NFL network will be airing the program over and over. Check your local listings.

Very well put together story. I enjoyed the comments from former teammates
like Howie, Millen and Townsend.

Despite admitting to playing the majority of his career on steroids, the man still deserves credit for coming clean just before passing away.
He was not the only player from that era to use steroids, so why is he still vilified to this day? Seems unfair.
The program included some cool audio from the field. Lyle barking at opposing players. Seeing footage that came to be the Lyle Alzado rule a treat. Imagine if that helmet would have struck Todd or the Jets lineman? WOW!
NeverSurrender
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by NeverSurrender »

I missed this too, but I'm sure they will show it 578 more times.
Tymaster

Post by Tymaster »

Many people have no idea he was a Brownie! He was part of the famed "Kardiac Kids" that lost to his next team, the Raiders on the infamous "Red Right '88" play which foreshadowed the dreadful "Drive" and "Fumble" a few years down the pike. Man, the 1980 Browns were FUN!!
LouDoo wrote:Neon has to be the most active poster who actually contributes the least, despite all the threads he starts. He has no redeeming value. He's completely useless.
ParaDime77

Post by ParaDime77 »

I watched it and pretty much forgot how big of a star he was back in the 70's and 80's. EVERYBODY knew who Lyle was. I remember his gassed up comeback when he was 40-41 years old and then the rapid deterioration he suffered with the brain cancer. Very sad ending.
Everyone Is Someone Else's Bitch
WhiteHouseSubsAC
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by WhiteHouseSubsAC »

Machado wrote:
midnighttoker wrote:shit i missed it but wanted to watch it.
NFL network will be airing the program over and over. Check your local listings.

Very well put together story. I enjoyed the comments from former teammates
like Howie, Millen and Townsend.

Despite admitting to playing the majority of his career on steroids, the man still deserves credit for coming clean just before passing away.
He was not the only player from that era to use steroids, so why is he still vilified to this day? Seems unfair.
The program included some cool audio from the field. Lyle barking at opposing players. Seeing footage that came to be the Lyle Alzado rule a treat. Imagine if that helmet would have struck Todd or the Jets lineman? WOW!
Thankfully for you brain cancer is something you won't have to worry about in your life.
HeavyMetalZombie666 wrote:Of course your asshole is going to be sore when you volunteer for an asspounding and not set any boundaries at all.
HeavyMetalZombie666
Angry Wyoming Rain Man

Post by HeavyMetalZombie666 »

ParaDime77 wrote:I watched it and pretty much forgot how big of a star he was back in the 70's and 80's. EVERYBODY knew who Lyle was. I remember his gassed up comeback when he was 40-41 years old and then the rapid deterioration he suffered with the brain cancer. Very sad ending.
I missed it. He was a good player. I remember him doing all those commercials and then learning in school from reading that he had cancer which at points I didn't recognize him at all.
SeminiferousButtNoid
Certified Asshole

Post by SeminiferousButtNoid »

I'm surprised they didn't mention the AIDS rumors in the documentary.
GreatWhiteSnake wrote:I'm 46 and my dad's 67 and we kiss each other on the mouth and my 9 yo old son and I do too. It's because we love each other. A lot. And could give a shit what anyone else thinks about us kissing on the mouth.
DEATH ROW JOE

Post by DEATH ROW JOE »

He sucked the wrong cock and got some AIDS. No biggie.