NFL INVESTIGATING PATRIOTS FOR POSSIBLY USING DEFLATED BALLS

A place to talk about sports, athletes and jock itch.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

NeverSurrender
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

NFL INVESTIGATING PATRIOTS FOR POSSIBLY USING DEFLATED BALLS

Post by NeverSurrender »

Report: Patriots Under NFL Investigation For Deflating Footballs

WTHR's Bob Kravitz is reporting the NFL is investigating whether the New England Patriots illegally deflated footballs during the team's AFC Championship game against the Colts Sunday night.

Deflated footballs are easier to throw and catch, especially in the stormy conditions that threatened the area. Officials caught USC illegally deflating footballs in 2012, and fined the school.
http://deadspin.com/report-patriots-und ... socialflow
veritas
Cockblocked by Poison

Re: NFL INVESTIGATING PATRIOTS FOR POSSIBLY USING DEFLATED B

Post by veritas »

Deflated footballs are easier to throw and catch, especially in the stormy conditions that threatened the area.
Unless you happen to be Andrew Luck and his receiving corp, apparently.

Actually, this is the story that has yet to break:

Patriots Being Investigated For Inventing Super Gloves That Uniquely Aid The Throwing And Catching of Deflated Balls.
Redman77
Beer & Titty King

Post by Redman77 »

The refs touch the ball every play when they mark the spot. Don't you think they'd pull anything that felt wrong? Idiots.
saracapri wrote: It's true. I'm wild for buttsex.
DEATH ROW JOE

Post by DEATH ROW JOE »

"the second most lopsided AFC championship victory ever"
HeavyMetalZombie666
Angry Wyoming Rain Man

Post by HeavyMetalZombie666 »

I bet P13 is throwing a fit.
Turner Coates
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by Turner Coates »

HeavyMetalZombie666 wrote:I bet P13 is throwing a fit.
He'd better be mowing lawns if he wants to afford getting laid this year.
Last edited by Turner Coates on Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I reckon all songs are folk songs. I ain't never heard no horses singing any.
HeavyMetalZombie666
Angry Wyoming Rain Man

Post by HeavyMetalZombie666 »

Probably someone in a vette screaming Honk if you are Horny for Tom Brady. :lol:
Machado
"Thread Vaginosis"

Post by Machado »

I give the NFL investigation 72 hours. If the finding are legit, the NFL should vacate the Pats win over Indy. NE has already been found guilty of cheating. So another offense should carry a very stiff penalty. Not saying the allegations are true. Just pointing out that if true the team should not be allowed to play vs Seattle.
WTF
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by WTF »

Machado wrote:I give the NFL investigation 72 hours. If the finding are legit, the NFL should vacate the Pats win over Indy. NE has already been found guilty of cheating. So another offense should carry a very stiff penalty. Not saying the allegations are true. Just pointing out that if true the team should not be allowed to play vs Seattle.
Yep. Legarrette Blount ran for 3 TDs because of a deflated ball. Tom Brady threw an INT despite a deflated ball. Blah blah blah.

It's OK. Gronk has taken responsibility.

Facedown
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by Facedown »

They played a clip from the Pats/Packers game on sports radio today.
Simms said he talked to Rogers that day and he said something to the effect of:
I like the footballs to be over the NFL threshold. I try to get away with it as often as possible.

Nobody mentions it and the Patriots sure didn't complain to the NFL.
bonedog wrote:I let Facedown get the better of me
bonedog wrote:My first kid will be born when I am 47.
bonedog wrote:I suck at sludging.
Crazy Levi

Post by Crazy Levi »

NEVERSURRENDER BEING INVESTIGATED FOR POSSIBLY BEING A FAT TRUTHER WITH A BROKEN CAPS LOCK
Pierce Foreskin
Playing Second Stage at SludgeFest

Post by Pierce Foreskin »

Life long Pats fan. Watched my first game in 1978. Sat through a ton of miserable losi g seasons.
i have only two points to make.

1. The Refs touch the ball between every play. And didn't seem concerned.
2. Chain of custody of the ball in question went from Jackson to his equipment manager to another Colts employee to the NFL. Seems to me the Colts would need to prove they didn't tamper with the ball.
Every lady needs a Prince Albert in her Can
UtahRatt wrote: You either like Zappa or you like taking it up the ass with anal beads the size of a plum.
Luminiferous
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by Luminiferous »

"According to a person familiar with the background of the matter, the Colts first noticed something unusual after an interception by Colts linebacker D’Qwell Jackson in the second quarter. Jackson gave the ball to a member of the Colts' equipment staff, who noticed the ball seemed underinflated and then notified coach Chuck Pagano.

General manager Ryan Grigson was notified in the press box, and he contacted Mike Kensil, NFL director of football operations. Kensil then told the on-field officials at halftime, when the Patriots led 17-7.
The Patriots erupted for 21 points in the third quarter, although it is not known if any of the balls were improperly inflated after halftime.

If officials knew about it at halftime one would think the officials checked the Patriots footballs and started, at least periodically, checking the balls the Patriots were using?
Pierce Foreskin wrote:1. The Refs touch the ball between every play. And didn't seem concerned.
2. Chain of custody of the ball in question went from Jackson to his equipment manager to another Colts employee to the NFL. Seems to me the Colts would need to prove they didn't tamper with the ball.
Good points. Of course I know a Colts fan who'd never agree with that.. :lol:
St_Augustines_Pears
Headlining Clubs

Post by St_Augustines_Pears »

Crazy Levi wrote:NEVERSURRENDER BEING INVESTIGATED FOR POSSIBLY BEING A FAT TRUTHER WITH A BROKEN CAPS LOCK
:lol:
"Moving on, is a simple thing...what it leaves behind is hard. You know the sleeping feel no more pain...and the living are all scarred." -- Megadeth's "A Tout Le Monde"
Machado
"Thread Vaginosis"

Post by Machado »

NFL has found that 11 of the 12 balls were underinflated by 2 pounds.

Jerry Rice has already gone to Twitter to accuse the Pats of cheating.

What a fucking mess!!!
DaveB
Opening Act in Arenas

Post by DaveB »

http://espn.go.com/boston/story/_/id/12 ... nship-game

The NFL has found that 11 of 12 of the New England Patriots game balls were inflated significantly less than the NFL requires, league sources involved and familiar with the investigation of Sunday's AFC championship game told ESPN.

Assuming the initial inspection was done correctly and weather wasn't a factor, the Patriots should be punished for deflating footballs, writes Mike Reiss. Story

The investigation found the footballs were underinflated by 2 pounds per square inch of air less than what's required by NFL regulations during the Pats' 45-7 victory over the Indianapolis Colts, according to sources.

"We are not commenting at this time," said Greg Aiello, the NFL's senior vice president of communications.

Troy Vincent, the league's senior executive vice president of football operations, told ProFootballTalk.com earlier Tuesday that the NFL expected to wrap up its investigation in "two or three days."

Yet to be determined is what, if any, penalties may be imposed upon Patriots. One source described the league as "disappointed ... angry ... distraught," after spending considerable time on the findings earlier Tuesday.

Part of the investigation that still needs further vetting is how the 11 footballs became underinflated.

The game balls provided to each team for preparation were required to be inspected and approved by referee Walt Anderson two hours and 15 minutes before kickoff before they were returned to a ball attendant before the game.

No alteration of footballs is allowed once they are approved, under league rules and regulations.

The balls are required be inflated between 12.5 and 13.5 pounds per square inch and weigh between 14 and 15 ounces.

The Patriots had 11 of their 12 game footballs under-inflated by 2 pounds of air less than what's required by NFL regulations during the AFC championship game against the Colts, according to league sources.
"We have been in complete cooperation with the league and will continue to do so," Patriots spokesman Stacey James said.

The NFL began looking into the issue not only because doctoring the footballs could provide a competitive advantage, but because it would compromise the integrity of the game.

Deflating a football can change the way it's gripped by a player or the way it travels through the air. Under NFL rules, each team provides balls each game for use when its offense is on the field. The balls are inspected before the game by the officiating crew, then handled during the game by personnel provided by the home team.

Patriots coach Bill Belichick earlier Tuesday deferred questions about the investigation, saying reporters should ask league officials. Belichick earlier said he wasn't aware there was an issue until Monday morning and promised to "cooperate fully with whatever the league wants us to, whatever questions they ask."

Belichick, of course, was fined $500,000 in 2007 for having an assistant spy on the New York Jets' defensive signals.

Special teams captain Matthew Slater said the Patriots "try to do things the right way. We work hard at our jobs, our professions, to be successful and it's unfortunate that things like this come up, but that's life, that's the world we live in."

Colts coach Chuck Pagano said he did not notice issues with the football and didn't specify when asked whether the Colts had reported the issue to officials.

"We talk just like they talk to officials (before the game)," he said. "We have an opportunity to talk to the officials about a lot of things."

Colts punter Pat McAfee took to Twitter Tuesday night to give his humorous spin on the situation.

Patriots wide receiver Julian Edelman said the footballs didn't feel different than usual.

And defensive tackle Vince Wilfork seemed amused by the matter and didn't shed any light on it.

"I don't know anything about that," he said. "I don't touch footballs. I tackle people."

Hall of Fame wide receiver Jerry Rice voiced his opinion on Twitter, saying that all but one football being underinflated was too much of a coincidence.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.
dtmfs
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by dtmfs »

Damn, what a shame if this thing blows up like spygate and I think it will, BB and Brady's legacies take a huge hit.
DaveB
Opening Act in Arenas

Post by DaveB »

I love how all of the Brady nut-swingers are all saying shit like, "Oh PLEASE! You're bitching about a few under-inflated balls?"

Uh...yeah! Ya fucking cheated! AGAIN!
Anthrax442
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by Anthrax442 »

The Patriots are fucked. One or two balls, fine, but 11 out of 12? And to everyone posting "Oh, a flat ball isn't any easier to catch." Bullshit. Go take some air out of a ball and throw it around a bit. It turns into a Nerf ball, being able to squeeze on it and you get better grip. It makes:

1) Holding onto the ball easier, especially in wet conditions (i.e. Blount didn't fumble even in wet conditions)
2) Catching the ball easier, because the ball has give to it

ALSO, it's been reported that the Colts kickers felt like their kicking balls might have been deflated a bit as well, which would certainly remove distance from kickoffs, field goal attempts, and punts.

Basically, this is a complete shitshow. The Patriots will be allowed to go to the Superbowl, because the NFL doesn't have the balls to vacate the win, but at very least Belichek needs to be suspended for the Superbowl and all of next season, plus loss of draft picks and a fine. This has been the season from hell for the NFL, and now the Patriots have delivered the turd on top of the sundae, RIGHT before the crown jewel of team sports. And even if the Patriots somehow manage to beat the Seahawks without Belichek, that trophy is always going to be hollow.
MurrayFiend wrote:Shit, deathcurse, you sure know how to make an exit.
dtmfs
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by dtmfs »

Anthrax442 wrote:The Patriots are fucked. One or two balls, fine, but 11 out of 12? And to everyone posting "Oh, a flat ball isn't any easier to catch." Bullshit. Go take some air out of a ball and throw it around a bit. It turns into a Nerf ball, being able to squeeze on it and you get better grip. It makes:

1) Holding onto the ball easier, especially in wet conditions (i.e. Blount didn't fumble even in wet conditions)

ALSO, it's been reported that the Colts kickers felt like their kicking balls might have been deflated a bit as well, which would certainly remove distance from kickoffs, field goal attempts, and punts.

Basically, this is a complete shitshow. The Patriots will be allowed to go to the Superbowl, because the NFL doesn't have the balls to vacate the win, but at very least Belichek needs to be suspended for the Superbowl and all of next season, plus loss of draft picks and a fine. This has been the season from hell for the NFL, and now the Patriots have delivered the turd on top of the sundae, RIGHT before the crown jewel of team sports. And even if the Patriots somehow manage to beat the Seahawks without Belichek, that trophy is always going to be hollow.
I've heard a lot of people saying if guilty the colts should play, that would take huge balls that goodell dosent have,not to mention having to probably push the game back a week so the seahawks can prepare for the colts and vice versa. with that said, this is bad for the pats they are gonna be even more hated than ever and the players have to deal with nothing but questions about this instead of the game.
MickeyG
Doing 20 Questions with Metal Sludge

Post by MickeyG »

Surprised the NFL hasn't swept this under the rug. I would have if I was Goodell. You have to protect the league and it's major players at all costs. Now if the NFL doesn't do much, they'll be called out for it. Should have hid it, Goodell.
NeverSurrender

Post by NeverSurrender »

Anthrax442 wrote:The Patriots are fucked. One or two balls, fine, but 11 out of 12? And to everyone posting "Oh, a flat ball isn't any easier to catch." Bullshit. Go take some air out of a ball and throw it around a bit. It turns into a Nerf ball, being able to squeeze on it and you get better grip. It makes:

Anybody who has ever played football in their backyard in the cold, knows that a deflated ball is easier to deal with.

Remember when they were the lovable underdogs vs the Rams?
MickeyG wrote:Surprised the NFL hasn't swept this under the rug. I would have if I was Goodell. You have to protect the league and it's major players at all costs. Now if the NFL doesn't do much, they'll be called out for it. Should have hid it, Goodell.
I don't know, pretending he didn't know of the Ray Rice tape didn't work out too well for him.
veritas
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by veritas »

I'm surprised Belichick hasn't fire the ball boy yet: how did that little fucker miss that one ball?
sin
Headlining Clubs

Post by sin »

Facedown wrote:They played a clip from the Pats/Packers game on sports radio today.
Simms said he talked to Rogers that day and he said something to the effect of:
I like the footballs to be over the NFL threshold. I try to get away with it as often as possible.

Nobody mentions it and the Patriots sure didn't complain to the NFL.
I think most people already had suspicions that Aaron Rodgers likes playing with big balls!
scarred but smarter
johnk5150

Post by johnk5150 »

Instead of 45-7, the score would have been 31-17?

Give me a break.
He's like the Liberace of bass & pot.

$tevil
NeverSurrender

Post by NeverSurrender »

johnk5150 wrote:Instead of 45-7, the score would have been 31-17?

Give me a break.

So if you put an ace up your sleeve but don't need it, you didn't really cheat?
Machado
"Thread Vaginosis"

Post by Machado »

NeverSurrender wrote:
johnk5150 wrote:Instead of 45-7, the score would have been 31-17?

Give me a break.

So if you put an ace up your sleeve but don't need it, you didn't really cheat?
Regardless of the final score the Pats should be punished if the findings are true. Imagine what else the team is doing secretly before their games? The organization has already been caught cheating once, so they are more than likely cheating again to gain that competitive advantage.
Bludegeon

Post by Bludegeon »

Take em out of the Super Bowl.. That's what should be done.
dtmfs
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by dtmfs »

Bludegeon wrote:Take em out of the Super Bowl.. That's what should be done.
That would be awesome, it seems the major cheaters in some sports get a slap on the wrist, at least in NASCAR and the pats, Chat Knaus has cheated so many times that's his fucking nickname, cheatin; chad but every time it's a 5 tace suspension a few points and fines, Jimmie johnsons legacy IMO is nowhere near that of other multiple cup winners just becasuse every fuckinh year it seems they altered his car one way or the other. Same with BB only obviously not as often that we're aware of but damn, is it worth your reputation and your qb's legacy to do rhis shit? I mean like it or not if they are found guilty 100% theres no way bb is thought of as an all time great, brady will but thanks to his coach he's gonna take a hit as well,no more "brady vs montana" discussions no matter the outcome of this SB.
Rainbow Bright

Post by Rainbow Bright »

Ballghazi continues! NFL was aware of deflation allegations before the AFC Championship game.

http://deadspin.com/report-nfl-was-awar ... 1680914291

his, at least, answers one of the peripheral questions surrounding claims that the Patriots illegally deflated Tom Brady's footballs: just how and when the Colts and the NFL became aware of the funny business.

ESPN's Adam Schefter says the Colts' suspicions date back to their Nov. 16 game against New England, a 42-20 Patriots win. In that game, Indianapolis safety Mike Adams intercepted two passes and handed both balls to the Colts' equipment manager to hold as souvenirs. Both balls, Schefter's sources say, were noticeably underinflated.

Those sources said the Colts raised concerns to the league, which was aware of the issue going into this weekend's AFC title game.
The timing of everything else then falls into place. Reportedly, the Colts' Sunday suspicions were confirmed the first time they got their hands on one of Brady's balls: when D'Qwell Jackson picked him off in the second quarter. The equipment manager told coach Chuck Pagano, who told GM Ryan Grigson, who told the NFL's director of field operations, who alerted the officials working the game. At the half, they inspected the balls.

Then, on the very first play of the second half (not counting the kickoff, which would have used one of the "K-balls" kept separately from the others), officials checked out the Patriots' ball and found it unsuitable for play:

(Update: In the video above, Mike Carey surmises that the ball was switched out because it was a K-ball. He was just guessing, but so are we—it's unknown why that ball was swapped out, and it's presumptuous for me to assume it was one of the Flat 11.)

It's not clear whether all 11 reportedly underinflated balls were removed from the rotation. Whether they were or not, the Patriots' offense then proceeded to steamroll the Colts for the entire second half.