Walter Payton - The greatest of all time

A place to talk about sports, athletes and jock itch.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

Gritt
Official Sludge Ass Kisser

Re: Walter Payton - The greatest of all time

Post by Gritt »

Who cares what the front office thinks? There are no guaranteed contracts in the NFL. They could have just as easily released him if they felt like it. Heaven forbid a player have the power once in a while.
Machado wrote:I might not know how to flush a toilet today
Machado owes me an apology.
Bludegeon
Playing Second Stage at SludgeFest

Post by Bludegeon »

Gritt wrote:Who cares what the front office thinks? There are no guaranteed contracts in the NFL. They could have just as easily released him if they felt like it. Heaven forbid a player have the power once in a while.

Guess the FO would and the fans that are hoping they could see their favorite player still playing?/

Yea,, fuck the fans too... :mrgreen:
Machado
"Thread Vaginosis"

Post by Machado »

Crazy Levi wrote:
Bludegeon wrote:I may be remembering wrong. But, could've sworn even Lions fans and the FO were pissed at him at the "Timing" of his "retirement". It left them high and dry in regards to the draft.. Here they are thinking they have a RB set, then he retires. I could have it wrong. Probably do.
Maybe maybe not, I don't remember.

But it's not like the Lions were a "win now" team - they've always been a a "win never" team. Like you say they had an aging RB with plenty of mileage and regardless should have been planning for Sanders' successor to help them realize the immense potential of the Charlie Batch era.

Lions were 2 time division winners from 91-93. So let's not declare they never won. Like most teams they had that window of opportunity and they did not have enough talent to win.

Barry's leaving really set the team back. Upon his quitting the team and leaving the franchise to pick up the pieces, the Lions have not returned to 1st place. They have finished as high as 2nd twice, with last season the most recent.
UtahRatt
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by UtahRatt »

You can't blame the Lions short comings on Barry leaving when you replace him with Matt Millen. They had what, 10 years to do something with Barry? It's called a set back. adapt, improvise and overcome like any other team.

It's not like Denver died with Elway and so on........Detroit hasn't always had the best system.
poizond13 wrote:I have been very bummed out, sad and shocked for most of the night
Artemis2085 wrote:so I blurt out "I love you Paul!
Atomicpunk18 wrote:You see Black Crowes music has gotten me laid multiple times.
Gritt

Post by Gritt »

Bludegeon wrote:
Gritt wrote:Who cares what the front office thinks? There are no guaranteed contracts in the NFL. They could have just as easily released him if they felt like it. Heaven forbid a player have the power once in a while.

Guess the FO would and the fans that are hoping they could see their favorite player still playing?/

Damn right. Fuck the front office and yes, fuck the fans. That's the big problem. People like you think athletes owe you something. You're not the one out there getting the shit beat out of you every day. They're out there risking their current and future health each and every second they are on the field. If they want to walk away, no matter the time or situation, more power to them.
UtahRatt

Post by UtahRatt »

Gritt wrote:Damn right. Fuck the front office and yes, fuck the fans. That's the big problem. People like you think athletes owe you something. You're not the one out there getting the shit beat out of you every day. They're out there risking their current and future health each and every second they are on the field. If they want to walk away, no matter the time or situation, more power to them.
I'm with you on walking away 100%, but they kinda owe us something, we pay their wage.

I see your point but how is it different then any other occupation? Because that's what it is. They're playing for money, the NFL is a business with great benefits and we pay their way from college all the way to the top.
I have two permanent injuries from ex employers and didn't receive a dime let alone a decent wage I also didn't have the luxury of a full ride scholarship for a degree to fall back on.

The last year I played football it cost $1,500 in equipment and travel expenses and I suffered two cracked ribs and was finally KO'ed out of the game forever. I was also in great shape most of my life, it was the real world, work and I took it too far that I'm paying for. That's my fault.

All the punishment I received on the field was nothing near the damage I received from the real world....Employers, car wrecks and leading a simple normal life like anyone else. How many people have shit jobs with little future? NFL players have it great, how many fans would trade their desk job and tool belts for a helmet, their lifestyle and paycheck?

It's not like they signed up for the military.

I agree in protecting players but the NFL has blown this injury plagued short life span way out of proportion and did so just to protect their money. Their risk is less then jobs most normal people have.
poizond13 wrote:I have been very bummed out, sad and shocked for most of the night
Atomicpunk18 wrote:You see Black Crowes music has gotten me laid multiple times.
Gritt

Post by Gritt »

I get what you're saying but for people to crucify a guy and be personally offended because he doesn't feel the desire to play anymore is just stupid. Same thing when a guy on one of our teams is in decline but hanging on. We sit and scream for the team to trade or release him. If a player has the chance to leave on their terms so be it. Congrats and thanks for what you did.
UtahRatt

Post by UtahRatt »

What get's me is a player signs a 5 year contract to do his job and sit out of camp in his 3rd season after having a big year. Players have taken over the team, can't be coached and do what they want.

Wasn't Barry a virgin with a kid?
Gritt

Post by Gritt »

UtahRatt wrote:What get's me is a player signs a 5 year contract to do his job and sit out of camp in his 3rd season after having a big year. Players have taken over the team, can't be coached and do what they want.

I understand sitting out in the NFL. They don't have guaranteed contracts. Sitting out is the only leverage a player has.
UtahRatt

Post by UtahRatt »

Gritt wrote:
UtahRatt wrote:What get's me is a player signs a 5 year contract to do his job and sit out of camp in his 3rd season after having a big year. Players have taken over the team, can't be coached and do what they want.

I understand sitting out in the NFL. They don't have guaranteed contracts. Sitting out is the only leverage a player has.
It's leverage but when you're already under contract making 3.5m and sit out demanding 4.5m it impacts the entire team forcing them to make changes which not only effects the other 53 teammates it impacts the fans and chances of having a winning team what everyone strives for except the player who wants more money. Players are greedy, have more control then the employers and fans have a right to an opinion since we pay the bills and were not talking about a raise from 15 to 20 and hour.
If you sign a contract you should uphold it. Pat Tillman.
Bludegeon

Post by Bludegeon »

Gritt wrote:
Bludegeon wrote:

Damn right. Fuck the front office and yes, fuck the fans. That's the big problem. People like you think athletes owe you something. You're not the one out there getting the shit beat out of you every day. They're out there risking their current and future health each and every second they are on the field. If they want to walk away, no matter the time or situation, more power to them.

Totally missed the point.. and the sarcasm at the end.. I care about these players and what they do about as much as they care about me.. Zilch, nada..

There are fans that do go ballistic.. That was my point. Players can quit anytime they feel. It's an opinion that they fuck over the FO and fans sometimes.. Who gives a shit if they do. Some do..
dtmfs
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by dtmfs »

Machado wrote: Screw Dan Marino. If I was in the playoffs and wanted to be eliminated, I guess I would have Marino be my starting QB.

Did you say Jordan was better than everyone else? HOLY SHIT! Why isn't what you wrote breaking news? You should be working for Fox News with these nuggets of information. :roll:
LMAO Marino is better than every Dallas QB in history combined. The funniest part is a Romo fan calling Dan a choker, at least the dude went to a SB and a couple other Conference title games AND torched the greatest D in history, oh and broke more records than any cowboy QB. Marino was putting up 2015 numbers in 1984, maybe thats why most experts rank him higher on the all time list than Aikman or Staubach.
Gritt

Post by Gritt »

Matardo owned again.
Redman77
Beer & Titty King

Post by Redman77 »

Crazy Levi wrote:
Bludegeon wrote:I may be remembering wrong. But, could've sworn even Lions fans and the FO were pissed at him at the "Timing" of his "retirement". It left them high and dry in regards to the draft.. Here they are thinking they have a RB set, then he retires. I could have it wrong. Probably do.
Maybe maybe not, I don't remember.

But it's not like the Lions were a "win now" team - they've always been a a "win never" team. Like you say they had an aging RB with plenty of mileage and regardless should have been planning for Sanders' successor to help them realize the immense potential of the Charlie Batch era.
Yes, Lions fans were shocked when he retired. I believe he was coming off his 10th straight 1000+ season & looked primed for 3 or 4 more seasons shattering the all time record. He wasn't a big fan of Bobby Ross & they were coming off a disappointing season, so he decided to hang it up. It sucked, he was one of the only things to keep you coming back on Sundays to watch Lions football.
saracapri wrote: It's true. I'm wild for buttsex.
Woosh
Cap'n Creamy Pee

Post by Woosh »

Barry Sanders never gave up on his team. The mere thought is ludicrous. If anything, the Lions gave up on him. Now, somebody can be a contrarian and argue that Detroit did everything they could to make the best team they could, and that they were really trying to be serious contenders, or make apologies and say "Detroits office wanted the best, but couldn't because....so and so reason" but one thing people cannot dispute is this:

Barry Sanders himself did not believe that Detroit's front office wanted a team that was a winner. He said as much in his book, and in public. He just didn't cite this immediately as reason for leaving, and the public, feeling entitled to know the reasons why he was gone, got pissed off and started making up stuff. It's so weird, because this story really displays how you're damned if you, and damned if you don't. I mean, I can remember a time where if a guy made a big deal about why he was retiring, and his reason was front-office politics, that person would be lableled a drama-queen.

I'd say Barry Sanders has never really done anything to show he was anything but a classy guy. But sometimes being quiet can be mistaken for arrogance. And when he was really young, a lot of people loved to bring up the fact that, despite being a young man who believed in celibacy, he ended up fucking a chick (can you imagine it? god forbid) and getting her pregnant. There's nothing people relish quite so much as a failed Christian, even when it's one of the ones who isn't a total asshole. I mean, the guy gave 10 percent of his NFL money to a church, the last thing I would call him is a hypocrite.
Last edited by Woosh on Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IF UR ONE OF US THEN
UtahRatt

Post by UtahRatt »

I'm going to call the Lions failures.......The Barry Sanders Curse.

That and three first round picks for WR's Charles Rogers, Roy Williams and Mike Williams.

Let's just say it, Matt Millen destroyed and set Detroit back more then the GM Pontiac Aztek and Barry combined.

Barry put in his years, didn't jump ship and retired a Lion. Respect.
Machado
"Thread Vaginosis"

Post by Machado »

dtmfs wrote:
Machado wrote: Screw Dan Marino. If I was in the playoffs and wanted to be eliminated, I guess I would have Marino be my starting QB.

Did you say Jordan was better than everyone else? HOLY SHIT! Why isn't what you wrote breaking news? You should be working for Fox News with these nuggets of information. :roll:
LMAO Marino is better than every Dallas QB in history combined. The funniest part is a Romo fan calling Dan a choker, at least the dude went to a SB and a couple other Conference title games AND torched the greatest D in history, oh and broke more records than any cowboy QB. Marino was putting up 2015 numbers in 1984, maybe thats why most experts rank him higher on the all time list than Aikman or Staubach.
Dan can have all the numbers he wants. He never won a SB. He had 1 chance his rookie year and failed. Never to return. If you want video game stats, Marino is your man. If you want to win the SB and be considered a winner, you want Staubach or Aikman taking the snaps. Not Marino.

I will tell you this much. Personally I would rather have Marino over Dan Fouts but then again they are both perennial losers
Crazy Levi
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by Crazy Levi »

According to Machado, tony romo is a "perennial loser."

Good to know.
Gritt

Post by Gritt »

Sometimes it's just too easy to own Matardo but I'll do it again. Marino didn't make the super bowl in his rookie season. It was his second season.
Bludegeon

Post by Bludegeon »

And,

NObody had a chance against that Niners team.. Just fucking great , they were.

That's hard to say for a Cowboys fan. Too.. lol..

Romo is a good QB.. He just needs help. A lot.. He could be the Marino for the Cowboys... lol
Gritt

Post by Gritt »

Put Marino in his prime on a team with weapons like Dez, Murray, Witten, and that offensive line and there is no way he doesn't win a super bowl.
dtmfs
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by dtmfs »

Machado wrote: Dan can have all the numbers he wants. He never won a SB. He had 1 chance his rookie year and failed. Never to return. If you want video game stats, Marino is your man. If you want to win the SB and be considered a winner, you want Staubach or Aikman taking the snaps. Not Marino.

I will tell you this much. Personally I would rather have Marino over Dan Fouts but then again they are both perennial losers
You would've taken Marino over Aikman if given the chance too and you damn well know it. Marino never played on a stacked team and still put up insane numbers, Aikman was plain jane on those stacked teams, he's not even in the discussion when it comes to the top 10 yet there's Marino on every ones list, Gee I wonder why? I guess in Machado land mark rypian, jeff Hostettler, trent dilfer and brad jophnson are all better than Marino....and Romo of course.
dtmfs
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by dtmfs »

Gritt wrote:Sometimes it's just too easy to own Matardo but I'll do it again. Marino didn't make the super bowl in his rookie season. It was his second season.
but he's a football encyclopedia and everyone else doesn't know the game. Even back then I knew The dolphins were screwed, that 84' Miami team had the greatest offensive season in history at the time but their D was average whereas SF had the 2md ranked offense and a top 5 D.
Redman77
Beer & Titty King

Post by Redman77 »

Back to the subject on hand....

saracapri wrote: It's true. I'm wild for buttsex.
Crazy Levi

Post by Crazy Levi »

Dolphins never had a solid running game, during all those years. They did have a great O-line at some points but were never a complete enough team to compete with the likes of Denver and Buffalo in the AFC. Forget about beating the 9ers in the Super Bowl.

Also, Machado is a retard but I'm glad to know he thinks Mark Rypien was a better QB than perennial loser Romo. I happen to agree.
Bludegeon

Post by Bludegeon »

Crazy Levi wrote: Also, Machado is a retard but I'm glad to know he thinks Mark Rypien was a better QB than perennial loser Romo. I happen to agree.

And, I disagree.

Well, not with the retard part. lol
DEATH ROW JOE

Post by DEATH ROW JOE »

Nobody has topped Jim Brown in power, speed, agility and balance.

Woosh
Cap'n Creamy Pee

Post by Woosh »

DEATH ROW JOE wrote:Nobody has topped Jim Brown in power, speed, agility and balance.

maybe not power, but in every other aspect, Sanders has the upper hand. His dad always told him he could never be as good as Jim Brown, and maybe that did something to him mentally.

or maybe it's just because I SAW Barry Sanders. I SEE clips of Jim Brown, but I'm not that fucking old. Barry Sanders? He was a fucking wizard. If someone tackled him, they had bragging rights.
IF UR ONE OF US THEN
Bludegeon

Post by Bludegeon »

DEATH ROW JOE wrote:Nobody has topped Jim Brown in power, speed, agility and balance.

Well, when you're bigger and faster than the LB's trying to tackle you.. That's gonna happen.. :roll:
UtahRatt

Post by UtahRatt »

Bludegeon wrote:Well, when you're bigger and faster than the LB's trying to tackle you.. That's gonna happen.. :roll:
In those days you could clothesline, spear and practically do anything while tackling. Comparing era's is a mess.

Being bigger doesn't mean better. Brown had heart and killer instinct. I seen dudes 6'3" 240+ that hit like feather pillows. Not everyone hit's like Ronnie Lott or Jim Brown no matter the size. Brown in his era was big, faster and had more heart then everyone. A step or even two above the rest.

Steve Atwater was listed at 218, Dennis Smith at 200. Two of the hardest hitting mother fuckers going into the big RB era of Okoye, Barry Foster, Jerome Bettis and so on.....

Steve Atwater vs Christian Okoye THE HIT! Atwater giving up 40+LBS.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvPxzQBIafo

Hitting highlights of Steve Atwater and Christian Okoye. Disturbed - Warrior
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44ItNEf15Mk

While making this post the next video came on and I heard the words 'Steve Bartkowski" one of my favorites, I clicked over to watch an even more favorite, RB William Andrews blast a CB.

William Andrews flattens a Bronco for an 86y TD. 1982
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SU-TXWDSQjo