Walter Payton - The greatest of all time

A place to talk about sports, athletes and jock itch.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

LouDoo
Platinum Artist

Walter Payton - The greatest of all time

Post by LouDoo »

I have a friend that says Jim Brown is, but that dude was as big, or bigger, than the guys trying to tackle him back then. Barry Sanders is another one that gets brought up, but he's a quitter so fuck him.

Walter was a one man show for much of his career. He was their only legit weapon and he still got shit done. Plus, he was tougher than hell. He'd give shots to anyone trying to force him out of bounds, and he stayed healthy despite all the abuse.

And before someone like Machado comes in and says 'look at the numbers, Emmitt is the greatest', fuck Emmitt. He had the luxury of playing on great teams.
HeavyMetalZombie666 wrote:The sounds of that album gives me the brutal shits.
ImageImage
LouDoo
Platinum Artist

Re: Walter Payton - The greatest of all time

Post by LouDoo »

And I know it's not football season, but I was going through my stuff recently, unearthed my Payton collection and got nostalgic.
ImageImage
Redman77
Beer & Titty King

Post by Redman77 »

Fuck you, Barry is the best ever. You try playing for the Lions & Matt Millen and not want to retire early.
saracapri wrote: It's true. I'm wild for buttsex.
Crazy Levi
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by Crazy Levi »

Redman77 wrote:Fuck you, Barry is the best ever. You try playing for the Lions & Matt Millen and not want to retire early.
That's just being cute. Pretty sure Millen wasn't running the team when Barry quit.
Leppardmania
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by Leppardmania »

Walter Payton is the greatest running back of all-time......period.

Brown, Sanders, Smith are all-time greats, but I put Payton at the top because he was the TOTAL PACKAGE.

"Sweetness" not only ran with grace and power, but he was an incredible receiver out of the backfield.

Also, Payton was an incredible blocker and great passer on the halfback option.......those are 2 qualities that the other all-time greats didn't have, and that puts Walter Payton above the rest!

RambOWNED!!!
LouDoo
Platinum Artist

Post by LouDoo »

Leppardmania wrote:Walter Payton is the greatest running back of all-time......period.

Brown, Sanders, Smith are all-time greats, but I put Payton at the top because he was the TOTAL PACKAGE.

"Sweetness" not only ran with grace and power, but he was an incredible receiver out of the backfield.

Also, Payton was an incredible blocker and great passer on the halfback option.......those are 2 qualities that the other all-time greats didn't have, and that puts Walter Payton above the rest!
Agreed. Mile Ditka has called him the greatest football player, period.
ImageImage
Redman77
Beer & Titty King

Post by Redman77 »

Oh, well Mike Ditka said it so it must be!
LouDoo
Platinum Artist

Post by LouDoo »

Redman77 wrote:Oh, well Mike Ditka said it so it must be!

Settle down... I was just using it as a reference. Although he's correct.
ImageImage
LouDoo
Platinum Artist

Post by LouDoo »

I have, as I'm sure others here do, this book:

And it comes with a dvd that cronicles his career. Since I was a kid, watching him play has always been so awesome. Just seeing that 34 jersey lights me up.
ImageImage
Redman77
Beer & Titty King

Post by Redman77 »

I'd trust the judgement of a man that gave up his entire draft for Ricky Williams.
killeverything
A Drinking Fan With A Baseball Problem

Post by killeverything »

LouDoo wrote:
Leppardmania wrote:Walter Payton is the greatest running back of all-time......period.

Agreed. Mile Ditka has called him the greatest football player, period.
Which would totally be true if Jerry Rice didn't exist.
Leppardmania

Post by Leppardmania »

Which would totally be true if Jerry Rice didn't exist.
To each his own.....but its unfair to compare Payton and Rice because they played completely different offensive positions.....though I do believe Rice is the greatest WR of all-time.

RambOWNED!!!
FamousJames
Headlining Clubs

Post by FamousJames »

Agreed 1000%. Payton was the only offensive weapon for years, and STILL was a team player to the end. Anyone like that today would be mouthing off to the press, calling out his teammates, begging to be traded, etc

I really wish they'd have given him the touchdown that William Perry took in during the Super Bowl. He got his ring, but I wish he'd have been able to score in that game too.
LouDoo
Platinum Artist

Post by LouDoo »

FamousJames wrote:Agreed 1000%. Payton was the only offensive weapon for years, and STILL was a team player to the end. Anyone like that today would be mouthing off to the press, calling out his teammates, begging to be traded, etc

I really wish they'd have given him the touchdown that William Perry took in during the Super Bowl. He got his ring, but I wish he'd have been able to score in that game too.

Ditka talks about that on the dvd in that book I posted. He regrets it.
ImageImage
Gritt
Official Sludge Ass Kisser

Post by Gritt »

You will get no argument from me.

Barry Sanders was electric but also insanely overrated.
Machado wrote:I might not know how to flush a toilet today
Machado owes me an apology.
Crazy Levi

Post by Crazy Levi »

Although it's completely unimportant it still amuses me that the Redskins held Sweetness to negative yardage in his last ever football game.
Bludegeon
Playing Second Stage at SludgeFest

Post by Bludegeon »

I can agree with this,,

But Emmitt is the only one right below him by a cunt hair.
bigbuttskinner
Headlining Clubs

Post by bigbuttskinner »

FamousJames wrote:Agreed 1000%. Payton was the only offensive weapon for years, and STILL was a team player to the end. Anyone like that today would be mouthing off to the press, calling out his teammates, begging to be traded, etc

Larry Fitzgerald
michelish wrote: VH album will be dropping first half of 2019. Album has been completed for a few months. They've been recording on and off since just after last tour.Finalizing title and artwork.
Nitrorulz wrote: I predict “The Dirt” will do double that.
referring to Queen movie
Rainbow Bright
Playing Second Stage at SludgeFest

Post by Rainbow Bright »

Jim Thorpe. Different era, but dudes like Jim Thorpe don't come around often.
Leppardmania

Post by Leppardmania »

Crazy Levi wrote:Although it's completely unimportant it still amuses me that the Redskins held Sweetness to negative yardage in his last ever football game.
Ahh...no they didn't.

Final Game Stats: 18 carries, 85 yards, 3 receptions, 20 yards

RambOWNED!!!
ParaDime77

Post by ParaDime77 »

Payton was an icon with the nitrous tank.
Everyone Is Someone Else's Bitch
Crazy Levi

Post by Crazy Levi »

Leppardmania wrote:
Crazy Levi wrote:Although it's completely unimportant it still amuses me that the Redskins held Sweetness to negative yardage in his last ever football game.
Ahh...no they didn't.

Final Game Stats: 18 carries, 85 yards, 3 receptions, 20 yards
Damn, my English teacher lied to me.

But they did keep him from gettin the first down that could have extended the playoff game.
Redman77
Beer & Titty King

Post by Redman77 »

Machado
"Thread Vaginosis"

Post by Machado »

LouDoo wrote:I have a friend that says Jim Brown is, but that dude was as big, or bigger, than the guys trying to tackle him back then. Barry Sanders is another one that gets brought up, but he's a quitter so fuck him.

Walter was a one man show for much of his career. He was their only legit weapon and he still got shit done. Plus, he was tougher than hell. He'd give shots to anyone trying to force him out of bounds, and he stayed healthy despite all the abuse.

And before someone like Machado comes in and says 'look at the numbers, Emmitt is the greatest', fuck Emmitt. He had the luxury of playing on great teams.
Here I am. Does it really matter if someone that goes by the name of LouDoo considers Payton the greatest NFL running back of all time? NO!
This is a great subject to debate. Everybody has an opinion. We all have our favorite players, whether they were on your favorite team or not.
What bothers me the most about the subject is that a player has to be penalized for playing on a great team. Why?
Maybe they were on a great team because that individual was a great player and brought out the best from everybody else on his team.
Maybe he played on a great team because other great players in the league wanted to play alongside him
When Emmitt joined the Cowboys that franchise was not a contender. Several years later that team won 3 SUPER BOWLS in 4 years.

Anyway, I'm not going to say which RB was the greatest of all time. Especially if I never saw said player on T.V. because I was far too young.

Smith was the better leader, winner, and has the most rushing yards of all time.
Gritt

Post by Gritt »

Smith was the better leader? You're a fucking moron. Payton was quite possibly the best leader in NFL history. On and off the field he was the cream of the crop. The Walter Payton man of the year award ring a bell? They named it after him for a reason.

Payton also never held out costing his team regular season games.
Machado
"Thread Vaginosis"

Post by Machado »

Gritt wrote:Smith was the better leader? You're a fucking moron. Payton was quite possibly the best leader in NFL history. On and off the field he was the cream of the crop. The Walter Payton man of the year award ring a bell? They named it after him for a reason.

Payton also never held out costing his team regular season games.
Oh nooooooooooooooooooo, Emmitt held out and Dallas lost 2 games before Emmitt finally signed. If anything, Payton would be happy that Emmitt got his money.
Different era. Even a decade or so later the game changed so much that holding out was very common.
Even still, Emmitt returned that season, the team won a lot of games and ended up winning the SB.
Gritt

Post by Gritt »

You're wrong again. Emmitt wasn't even the leader of that team. Troy Aikman was their leader. If you say differently, you're wrong. Hell, even Michael Irvin was more of a leader on that team. Sure he led some of the guys to the crack house but he also was the emotional fire for that team. Emmitt was the guy who shows up for work every day, does a great job, and then goes home. Nothing wrong with that at all. But he was NOT the leader of that team.
Machado
"Thread Vaginosis"

Post by Machado »

Gritt wrote:You're wrong again. Emmitt wasn't even the leader of that team. Troy Aikman was their leader. If you say differently, you're wrong. Hell, even Michael Irvin was more of a leader on that team. Sure he led some of the guys to the crack house but he also was the emotional fire for that team. Emmitt was the guy who shows up for work every day, does a great job, and then goes home. Nothing wrong with that at all. But he was NOT the leader of that team.
You seem to be a fan of the Dallas Cowboys!

Are you implying a member of 'The Triplets' was not a leader on those teams? So there was only 1 leader and everybody else could not be described as one?

Answer that before you get sacked for a loss
Gritt

Post by Gritt »

Machado wrote:
Gritt wrote:You're wrong again. Emmitt wasn't even the leader of that team. Troy Aikman was their leader. If you say differently, you're wrong. Hell, even Michael Irvin was more of a leader on that team. Sure he led some of the guys to the crack house but he also was the emotional fire for that team. Emmitt was the guy who shows up for work every day, does a great job, and then goes home. Nothing wrong with that at all. But he was NOT the leader of that team.
You seem to be a fan of the Dallas Cowboys!
Don't have to be a fan of a team to know what's going on. Of course you're the opposite. You're a fan and don't have the first clue about the team.
Redman77
Beer & Titty King

Post by Redman77 »

Emmitt picks Barry.

heard about what @BarrySanders said...so very flattered but he shd know i think he's the best of all time
less than a minute ago via TweetDeck Favorite Retweet Reply
Emmitt Smith
EmmittSmith22