Have you ever changed favorite teams or gave up on a favorite team as an adult?

A place to talk about sports, athletes and jock itch.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

NeverSurrender
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Have you ever changed favorite teams or gave up on a favorite team as an adult?

Post by NeverSurrender »

I've been a fan of all my favorite teams since I was a wee one. Somewhere between 6 and 9 years old I picked all my favorite teams. Mostly because of uniform color or a certain player played with that team.

Dodgers - Lost the first World Series I ever saw. I picked them to go against my stepdad, The Yankee fan.
Sixers- Dr. J is still the coolest. I no longer care about the NBA, but if somebody asks, I'm a Sixer fan.
Vikings - I just liked their helmets and how they played in the cold.
Syracuse Sports - I grew up 45 minutes from there on The Erie Canal. My one local team.
Islanders - I loved Bobby Nystrom
Notre Dame football - Family tradition.

I am now 46, and have never changed teams or turned on one.

Until last week when I abandoned the Islanders. I will no longer support this team. For the sole reason they have kept an underqualified baboon in place as gm through 2 different ownership groups and constant and epic failure. I won'tpick a new team, but won't rule it out in the future. I already cheer for all the southern teams. But no doubt I am done calling myself a fan of the Garth Snow Experience. Fuck them.

Any other diehards ever finally have enough? Discuss.
Tenacious_Dio
MSX Tour Support Act

Re: Have you ever changed favorite teams or gave up on a favorite team as an adult?

Post by Tenacious_Dio »

New York Jets - I dropped them in 1995, when the Panthers came to town. It wasn't that hard of a decision. The Jets were rarely the AFC national game, so it was tough to catch them on tv down here.

New York Islanders - That was more like giving up on the NHL. They had a bad tv deal in the late 80's, and once we got the Hornets, I became an NBA guy.
dmbrocker
Location: Rockin’ with Amber, Bradie, Laurine, Dokken, Ratt, Motley, Aerosmith, Rush, Poison…

Re: Have you ever changed favorite teams or gave up on a favorite team as an adult?

Post by dmbrocker »

Tenacious_Dio wrote:New York Jets - I dropped them in 1995, when the Panthers came to town. It wasn't that hard of a decision. The Jets were rarely the AFC national game, so it was tough to catch them on tv down here.

New York Islanders - That was more like giving up on the NHL. They had a bad tv deal in the late 80's, and once we got the Hornets, I became an NBA guy.
I don't suppose you became an NHL guy again when the 'Canes came to Raleigh?

Haven't given up on my local teams (Hawks, Braves, Falcons) yet, but it's definitely frustrating to be a state of Georgia sports fan these days...
LAglamrocker wrote: Trixter is awesome but everyone has seen After The Rain video correct? That’s one of first things I’m going thank God for
Tenacious_Dio
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by Tenacious_Dio »

dmbrocker wrote: I don't suppose you became an NHL guy again when the 'Canes came to Raleigh?
Nah. The Canes don't really have a large fanbase in Charlotte. Most Charlotte hockey fans are Northern transplants, with their own teams. I don't follow the NHL at all.
dmbrocker
Location: Rockin’ with Amber, Bradie, Laurine, Dokken, Ratt, Motley, Aerosmith, Rush, Poison…

Post by dmbrocker »

Tenacious_Dio wrote:
dmbrocker wrote: I don't suppose you became an NHL guy again when the 'Canes came to Raleigh?
Nah. The Canes don't really have a large fanbase in Charlotte. Most Charlotte hockey fans are Northern transplants, with their own teams. I don't follow the NHL at all.
I do a little, but I don't have a particular favorite NHL team since the Thrashers returned to Winnipeg and became the Jets again...
LAglamrocker wrote: Trixter is awesome but everyone has seen After The Rain video correct? That’s one of first things I’m going thank God for
Gil_Swine
Picking a Band Name

Post by Gil_Swine »

Great question. I grew up a Yankees fan in the 80's & 90's. They were horrible during this time and a complete joke because of Steinbrenner. Howie Spira,.Billy Martin etc...We had good players but no pitching. Don Mattingly was my favorite player. He had a great first ever playoff series in '95. He was battling back problems but started his leg kick which helped him a lot. Yankees pretty much forced him into retirement when they signed Tino Martinez.

I pretty much started disliking the Yankess with that 1996 team because I HATED the players. Paul O'Neil is a jerk. They signed WADE BOGGS!!! Cecil Fielder. Didn't like David Cone, Giradi, Petite was boring, Don't like Jeter. The only guys I rooted for were Bernie and Mariano but they were exactly exciting personalities. Add in Roger Clemens, Jim Leyritz, David Wells, and Wettland blowing the 1995 Wild Card Series.

The Yankees are just unlikable. From the players to management. I will never be a fan of this organization again.

Stopped watching baseball for a longgg time until I started rooting for the Mets in 2014 mostly because my Mom is a Mets fan. Mets were terrible that year but rooting for RA Dickey and Matt Harvey was fun.

Now, I'm a Mets fan. They are fun to root for and they have personality unlike Judge & Co.
Gazpacho
THREAD AIDS

Post by Gazpacho »

Bengals fan since late 70s
Having a hard time supporting them the last few years, especially after moving to Tampa area.
Marvin Lewis and Mike Brown are ass clowns.

Might have to start supporting the Bucs
dtmfs
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by dtmfs »

Nope, I don't pay attention as much when any of my favorite teams are horrible, I think that's pretty common for fans, but I still catch myself watching the score and all the games when any of them are on tv, they've all been pretty much worthless for such long stretches so i'm used to it all.

Dolphins- only a few seasons here and there since Marino retired that they were even decent, at least with Marino Miami had a small chance to go further, but it was pretty easy to get used to as the time went on that they just didn't do enough to build actual good teams around him and still the front office does stupid shit and seem to be rebuilding every 2 years or so.

Phillies- Same as Miami but even worse, became a fan at the time because of Schmidt, and they've won the title once since I've been a fan, 2008, then the good players got older and injury prone.

Celtics- 2 titles since I've been a fan but they are good now, not championship material but maybe a couple years down the line I might see a 3rd, good young players and a good young coach.

Only time I would stop supporting any is if the team vanishes like the oilers or something, if any of them should move i'd still stick with them, i'm too fucking old to become a fan all over again for new franchises, would be easier if I was in a state that had pro teams, I was a navy baby and moved too much so it was inevitable that my favs would be from different areas.
NeverSurrender

Post by NeverSurrender »

Dtmfs, I didn't pick a new team...
LAglamrocker
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by LAglamrocker »

No but I wanted to see Manning’s knee explode in last 2 Denver Superbowls

As an adult I like to see smaller countries win medals at Olympic Games over USA most of the time
Jani Lane and Bret Michaels should form a band called "Nelson II"
Bludegeon
Playing Second Stage at SludgeFest

Post by Bludegeon »

I haven't yet, but, fuck, if I am ever real close to doing so.
Facedown
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by Facedown »

I gave up on the Bruins back in the early 2000's but came back to them around 2007.
bonedog wrote:I let Facedown get the better of me
bonedog wrote:My first kid will be born when I am 47.
bonedog wrote:I suck at sludging.
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

Facedown wrote:I gave up on the Bruins back in the early 2000's but came back to them around 2007.
With Bergeron on the team, I don't blame you.
GrayAntiMatter wrote:EVH

Zappa is pure cult status shit. He is to music what Bruce fucking Campbell is to acting....
NeverSurrender

Post by NeverSurrender »

Facedown wrote:I gave up on the Bruins back in the early 2000's but came back to them around 2007.

Did you stop following them, or did you outright disown them like I did the Isles?
Bludegeon wrote:I haven't yet, but, fuck, if I am ever real close to doing so.

What team?
Facedown
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by Facedown »

NeverSurrender wrote:

Did you stop following them, or did you outright disown them like I did the Isles?
I guess I disowned them if irc.
I know in 02 when they lost to the Habs I was pretty pissed but when they blew it in 04 to them again I was done.
Don't think I followed them at all for the next few years.
I remember the first game I watched was was an 8-6 or something against Pittsburgh in 07 or 08.
bonedog wrote:I let Facedown get the better of me
bonedog wrote:My first kid will be born when I am 47.
bonedog wrote:I suck at sludging.
Bludegeon

Post by Bludegeon »

NeverSurrender wrote:

Bludegeon wrote:I haven't yet, but, fuck, if I am ever real close to doing so.

What team?

Cowboys and Stars. Just year after year, shit, shit, shit. Bad decisions made. etc.
bigbuttskinner
Headlining Clubs

Post by bigbuttskinner »

Bunch of cry babies in here. No fan base has had to endure more shit than the Cleveland Browns.

Art Modell forcing Jim Brown to retire, firing Paul Brown who started up an in state rival, losing 3 AFC Championship games in 4 years to the horse faced cocksucker in Denver, getting Belichick and he won them a playoff game in 1994 (last one they have won to date) only to have Modell lie and move the team after the 1995 season, no team existing for 3 years, the first game back in 1999 was a 43-0 ass kicking from Pittsburgh on national tv, playing 29 different starting quarterbacks from 1999 to present, coaches and GM's fired almost every other year, only 2 winning seasons since 1999, MANY big time misses in the draft, owners that don't give a shit about football but their soccer team in Europe, then an owner who is way too hands on for a new owner (and possibly a crook), and finally the stupidest team name and mascots: Brownie the Elf, Chomps (guy in dog costume), and a mastiff named Swagger who has a dog box in the stadium.

FUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

P.S. One of four teams to have never appeared in a Super Bowl.
michelish wrote: VH album will be dropping first half of 2019. Album has been completed for a few months. They've been recording on and off since just after last tour.Finalizing title and artwork.
Nitrorulz wrote: I predict “The Dirt” will do double that.
referring to Queen movie
NeverSurrender

Post by NeverSurrender »

bigbuttskinner wrote:Bunch of cry babies in here. No fan base has had to endure more shit than the Cleveland Browns.

Art Modell forcing Jim Brown to retire, firing Paul Brown who started up an in state rival, losing 3 AFC Championship games in 4 years to the horse faced cocksucker in Denver, getting Belichick and he won them a playoff game in 1994 (last one they have won to date) only to have Modell lie and move the team after the 1995 season, no team existing for 3 years, the first game back in 1999 was a 43-0 ass kicking from Pittsburgh on national tv, playing 29 different starting quarterbacks from 1999 to present, coaches and GM's fired almost every other year, only 2 winning seasons since 1999, MANY big time misses in the draft, owners that don't give a shit about football but their soccer team in Europe, then an owner who is way too hands on for a new owner (and possibly a crook), and finally the stupidest team name and mascots: Brownie the Elf, Chomps (guy in dog costume), and a mastiff named Swagger who has a dog box in the stadium.

I knew somebody would be in here beating their chest and calling everybody names. If you still give the Browns 1 cent, that doesn't make you diehard, it makes you an idiot.
bigbuttskinner
Headlining Clubs

Post by bigbuttskinner »

NeverSurrender wrote:
I knew somebody would be in here beating their chest and calling everybody names. If you still give the Browns 1 cent, that doesn't make you diehard, it makes you an idiot.
Pot meet kettle.
michelish wrote: VH album will be dropping first half of 2019. Album has been completed for a few months. They've been recording on and off since just after last tour.Finalizing title and artwork.
referring to Queen movie
Bludegeon

Post by Bludegeon »

NeverSurrender wrote:

100% fucking idiot.
NeverSurrender

Post by NeverSurrender »

Then he said that pot meet kettle. When in this thread did I call anybody names or beat my chest about having it worse than everybody else?

Full on idiot.
bigbuttskinner
Headlining Clubs

Post by bigbuttskinner »

NeverSurrender wrote:Then he said that pot meet kettle. When in this thread did I call anybody names or beat my chest about having it worse than everybody else?

Full on idiot.
NeverSurrender wrote:
There ya go, name caller. And I'm so sorry I have a spine and conviction to stick with a team through and through. Maybe if I were like others I'd just change teams whenever they're bad for a few years. And why do you keep repeating "beating their chest?" Have you been watching a lot of gorilla shows lately? Time to surrender and log off.
referring to Queen movie
NeverSurrender

Post by NeverSurrender »

"Through and through"

Have at it, buddy.
FullDJacket
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by FullDJacket »

NeverSurrender wrote:
bigbuttskinner wrote:Bunch of cry babies in here. No fan base has had to endure more shit than the Cleveland Browns.

The times are changing and Baker Mayfield will be better than Johnny Football
Luke 16:10 "and he that is unjust in the least, is unjust also in much"
bigbuttskinner
Headlining Clubs

Post by bigbuttskinner »

FullDJacket wrote: The times are changing and Baker Mayfield will be better than Johnny Football
I hope so. Sitting behind Tyrod and Stanton for the year will do him well. On paper, all of their picks so far look pretty good. After 0-16, they can only improve!
referring to Queen movie
NeverSurrender

Post by NeverSurrender »

BTW, you can't yell 'pot meet kettle' when you were the first to call the entire thread cry babies. After that, it's open season on your retarded ass. Duhhhhhhh.
bigbuttskinner
Headlining Clubs

Post by bigbuttskinner »

NeverSurrender wrote:BTW, you can't yell 'pot meet kettle' when you were the first to call the entire thread cry babies. After that, it's open season on your retarded ass. Duhhhhhhh.
god damn. You're still whining? I'm not denying calling anyone names (especially the cry babies in here and dick lickers like yourself). You stated YOU weren't name calling but you did; doesn't matter when. There's no "gotcha" moment here. Get over yourself.
referring to Queen movie
NeverSurrender

Post by NeverSurrender »

This thread was flowers and peaches before you showed up pounding your chest.

This is a fact.
EyeDocOfRock
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by EyeDocOfRock »

NHL - Always a Blackhawks fan since 1980

NBA -- Thanks to Dr J the 76ers all the way ... fan since 1977...., I developed a love for basketball as a player , fan , coach , and referee..

NFL -- Dallas Cowboys since 1977 and Indy Colts since they moved to Indy ...UGH

Baseball -- Chicago white Sox since 1977 ... quite a roller coaster ride with them !!!

NCAA -- I spent 8 years at IU ... HOOSIERS BABY !!! Fan since 1979 !!!!
EyeDocOfRock
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by EyeDocOfRock »

EyeDocOfRock wrote:NHL - Always a Blackhawks fan since 1980

NBA -- Thanks to Dr J the 76ers all the way ... fan since 1977...., I developed a love for basketball as a player , fan , coach , and referee.. all because of Dr J.

NFL -- Dallas Cowboys since 1977 and Indy Colts since they moved to Indy ...UGH

Baseball -- Chicago white Sox since 1977 ... quite a roller coaster ride with them !!!

NCAA -- I spent 8 years at IU ... HOOSIERS BABY !!! Fan since 1979 !!!!