Don't make me laugh! (genuine question alert)

The most feared Groupie Board on the internet!

Moderator: Metal Sludge

theWHOiAM
Learning KISS Riffs

Don't make me laugh! (genuine question alert)

Post by theWHOiAM »

Bringin the LULZ in the form of a genuine question for which I'm seeking opinions. I've recently introduced a friend to a particular band, all of whose members are over 40, still unmarried (save one of them who was married and then divorced, and is not dating with anyone), only two have girlfriends (there are 5 of them in total) and apparently childless. My friend has immediately written off the 3 girlfriend-less ones as queer, even the one who use to be married :roll: Try as I might, she wouldn't give my "they probably all just like their freedom" argument any credence.

So I said right then, would you believe anyone if they agreed with me? She said "well, ask some groupies, they're in that scene so they should know". So here I am, putting this question to anyone here who could offer a sincere answer. Most likely no-one here will know of the band in question, so the next best thing will have to suffice. Ladies who've 'met' rock stars, if a rocker is over 40, never been married, and no kids (apparently), and no girlfriend, would you think that he must be gay? Because I don't.

I hope this thread won't sink like a weighted stone lol :lol:
GypsyCinnamon
Jamming in Parent's Basement

Re: Don't make me laugh! (genuine question alert)

Post by GypsyCinnamon »

Well, for starters not everyone wants to have children. I certainly don't, although supposedly possession of two XX chromosomes means I should be desperate to push out a sprog (don't get me started on that one!)

Have these guys ever had girlfriends/expressed interest in women? Having been married to a woman is not definitive proof that the divorced one is not gay, of course, and neither is having previously had girlfriends. On the information given, I wouldn't rule either gay or straight in or out.
theWHOiAM
Learning KISS Riffs

Post by theWHOiAM »

Thanks for the prompt reply. Yup, it's a toughie isn't it lol.

Of the three who are not attached, one of them has been married, although only several months ago he revealed that the marriage was in fact a sham and he is now divorcing from his wife (this is not the one who was married and already divorced since many years). Indeed, there is such a thing as keeping up appearances, and I'm sure there are numerous rockers who are married in order to throw people off the scent as it were...but this guy to me gives absolutely no indication of being at all gay (and I'm not saying that it's always obvious to tell those things).

One of them has a semi-famous girlfriend until recently when he claimed they had split due to conflicting work schedules, but he's always been pictured hanging out with beautiful females and has a track record of dating (female) models.

And the other one had only ever been alleged to had a girlfriend, but beyond a rumour in the press no-one can verify it. He's made sparse and very brief references to having had a girlfriend when answering questions, but according to someone else who is a fan of theirs who works in the music industry, he's only doing this because if he were to come out as gay most of his fan base would probably kill themselves :roll: My friend chooses to believe this woman in that respect. She says it all points to him being gay, which personally I find to be only a possibility at best. To me it seems equally as likely that if he has a girlfriend he just keeps her on the down low, because he respects her privacy and doesn't want the fangirls to try and kill her :lol: Or perhaps he's just not the type to want a long term relationship with a female?

Hope that helps some :lol:
Lydia
Playing Frat Parties

Post by Lydia »

theWHOiAM wrote:And the other one had only ever been alleged to had a girlfriend, but beyond a rumour in the press no-one can verify it. He's made sparse and very brief references to having had a girlfriend when answering questions, but according to someone else who is a fan of theirs who works in the music industry, he's only doing this because if he were to come out as gay most of his fan base would probably kill themselves :roll:
It's 2010. Buddy needs to get over his unwarranted sense of self-importance.
sweetsoulsister
Playing in a Garage

Post by sweetsoulsister »

Why don't you just tell us the name of the band. My gaydar is spot on, even my gays are impressed. There might be some girls here that can tell you firsthand if he's gay or not.
fastermetallicat
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by fastermetallicat »

sweetsoulsister wrote:Why don't you just tell us the name of the band. My gaydar is spot on, even my gays are impressed. There might be some girls here that can tell you firsthand if he's gay or not.
I totally agree. I want to know! But with the information, I wouldn't assume they're gay.
theWHOiAM
Learning KISS Riffs

Post by theWHOiAM »

Sure, they're the ones I'm usually in here to talk about :lol: (read: X-Japan) but I was holding back because they're not that well known outside of their native country, plus it might look like I'm using any excuse to spam about them (which I'm genuinely not).

Anyone who can guess correctly which three members I'm actually talking about gets a hash cookie :P :mrgreen:
theWHOiAM
Learning KISS Riffs

Post by theWHOiAM »

Lydia wrote:
theWHOiAM wrote:And the other one had only ever been alleged to had a girlfriend, but beyond a rumour in the press no-one can verify it. He's made sparse and very brief references to having had a girlfriend when answering questions, but according to someone else who is a fan of theirs who works in the music industry, he's only doing this because if he were to come out as gay most of his fan base would probably kill themselves :roll:
It's 2010. Buddy needs to get over his unwarranted sense of self-importance.
You'd be forgiven for saying this, seeing as I'm assuming you're probably not familiar with the way some Japanese artists do things (?). Japanese artists are generally far more stifled than those in the western world, and their Japanese fans are treated with kid gloves. Artists over there have to be far more careful and conscientious of their image for fear of losing their fan base. It may seem bizarre to us, but to them it's the norm. This guy in question, I would assume his team have a very tight reign on him.
Funkychik02
Resident Gamecrush Playdate

Post by Funkychik02 »

I thought those guys were pretty popular all over the world?
Donnie Vie wrote:
I only read magazines you buy in the store that come on shiny paper.
theWHOiAM
Learning KISS Riffs

Post by theWHOiAM »

Funkychik02 wrote:I thought those guys were pretty popular all over the world?
Not especially. At least, not yet :wink: They're becoming so, yes, but outside of Japan currently they are known only to a niche market.

Anyway, back to the point, I'd bet good money that all 5 of them are straight, even if my friend is adamant that 3 of them are not.
JDoom
Son of a whore

Post by JDoom »

Is it these ass-cudlers?
"Mr. Bong and I went into couple's therapy when he was in rehab as a condition of me being able to visit him. It didn't so much "solve" anything as it just taught us how to communicate with eachother productively......"
catstyle
Showcasing for A&R Reps

Post by catstyle »

Never married, over 40, no kids?

Doesn't scream gay to me at all...just doesn't want to live the "normal" life.
theWHOiAM
Learning KISS Riffs

Post by theWHOiAM »

catstyle wrote:Never married, over 40, no kids?

Thank you!

And to the poster above: nah, that's Versailles. And they're all straight (apart from their dead bassist, whose sexuality wasn't known).
amouthfulofsin220
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by amouthfulofsin220 »

catstyle wrote:Never married, over 40, no kids?

Yep.
JDoom wrote:Is it these ass-cudlers?
Oh, and these creatures are gorgeous. I'll have to look them up.
Your voice is the delicate string, the sound of my name on your lips the gentle tug that keeps me grounded...

Pressing Flowers - The Civil Wars
theWHOiAM
Learning KISS Riffs

Post by theWHOiAM »

My friend is starting to see reason now, at long last :lol:

Anyway, within a fortnight X are on tour in America, so I guess the ultimate test of their sexuality is to see if you can hook up with them :wink: