Rate the last movie you saw

A place to discuss whatever you want.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

UtahRatt
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Re: Rate the last movie you saw

Post by UtahRatt »

Hot Tub Time Machine - 6.5/10 - Some gut clinching scenes surround by a lot of lack luster cheese....Seemed totally rushed, lacked a good flow.

Decent...Funny....Worth the watch but not an instant classic. Better then expected but didn't live up to the hype.
poizond13 wrote:I have been very bummed out, sad and shocked for most of the night
Artemis2085 wrote:so I blurt out "I love you Paul!
Atomicpunk18 wrote:You see Black Crowes music has gotten me laid multiple times.
johnk5150
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by johnk5150 »

UtahRatt wrote:Hot Tub Time Machine - 6.5/10 - Some gut clinching scenes surround by a lot of lack luster cheese....Seemed totally rushed, lacked a good flow.

Decent...Funny....Worth the watch but not an instant classic. Better then expected but didn't live up to the hype.
It won't hold up. When Corddry screamed 'yeahhhhh! Dropping loads!' in homage to Nick Manning I fucking lost it.
He's like the Liberace of bass & pot.

$tevil
BD888
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by BD888 »

johnk5150 wrote:
UtahRatt wrote:Hot Tub Time Machine - 6.5/10 - Some gut clinching scenes surround by a lot of lack luster cheese....Seemed totally rushed, lacked a good flow.

It won't hold up. When Corddry screamed 'yeahhhhh! Dropping loads!' in homage to Nick Manning I fucking lost it.
4/10 I hadn't heard anything about this film but watched it anyways. It could have been great, but it wasn't. And I agree, the film seems very rushed, and it's poorly directed. It's seems like it's missing scenes too. The character development is poor, and it just comes off as low budget 80s type film, with rehashed jokes and many concepts stolen from Back to the Future 1 & 2.
exitflagger

Post by exitflagger »

It's best to keep a movie like Hot Tub Time Machine in perspective. It's nothing but a silly little farce with almost no ties to legitimate story-telling. Those kind of movies, you just chuckle along and forget it as soon as it's over. If you don't, you'd come to realize that it's actually incredibly sad that these people vault into the future where they're successful and happy, but they've missed almost 3 decades of it. AND they were apparently forced to go to the same Poison concert TWICE! That's more of a tear-jerker than Old Yeller.
ImageImage
Drunk Mazeraturd wrote: ...but hes going to run and hes going to win.
deathcurse
I Wanna Be Somebody

Post by deathcurse »

I loved Hot Tub Time Machine. Mostly because it was funny but also because I got to nerd out at all the inaccuracies like "Smooth Up in Ya" not being released until 1988. 21 Jump Street also came out a couple years later.

I watched it again last night after purchasing the Blu-ray and I loved it just as much. The two best things about the movie are Craig Robinson and every scene where they wait for Crispin Glover's arm to get chopped off.

I would give it a 9/10.

"I've been with lots of girls. Hot ones."

"You've been with lots of guys. Gay ones."
SexxAtraxxion wrote:You are horrible at message board entertainment.
exitflagger

Post by exitflagger »

deathcurse wrote: Mostly because it was funny but also because I got to nerd out at all the inaccuracies like "Smooth Up in Ya" not being released until 1988.
I totally caught that too.
ImageImage
Drunk Mazeraturd wrote: ...but hes going to run and hes going to win.
deathcurse
I Wanna Be Somebody

Post by deathcurse »

And also, I get the impression that a lot of people here think I'm like the fat kid in that movie.

FALSE.

I do not play Second Life.

Unless you count this.
Bridget
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by Bridget »

Dawn of the Dead - 6/10. Too long and the score was grating on my nerves. Maybe that's on purpose, but I still didn't like it.
chungasrevenge
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by chungasrevenge »

Best Worst Movie - 8/10. Documentary about Troll 2 which is considered the worst movie ever made and how it's gone on to become a cult classic since being released in 1989. I have to track down the actual film now. Good stuff. Also, there is no Troll 1, so don't go looking for it.
Last edited by chungasrevenge on Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bridget
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by Bridget »

chungasrevenge wrote:Best Worst Movie - 8/10. Documentary about Troll 2 which is considered the worst movie ever made and how it's gone on to become a cult classic since it's release in 1989. I have to track down the actual film now. Good stuff. Also, there is no Troll 1.
I keep hearing so many good things about this movie. I can't wait to see it!
deathcurse
I Wanna Be Somebody

Post by deathcurse »

There is a Troll 1, it just has nothing to do with the sequel.

I didn't like Best Worst Movie. The cast and crew were interesting but the fans are intolerable.
UtahRatt

Post by UtahRatt »

exitflagger wrote:
deathcurse wrote: Mostly because it was funny but also because I got to nerd out at all the inaccuracies like "Smooth Up in Ya" not being released until 1988.
I totally caught that too.

I bypassed all the inaccuracies, there was quite a few. Not sure when they hit the streets but it was the early 90's before I ever seen a Brick Phone. The first ones I remember was the Brick car phone.
poizond13 wrote:I have been very bummed out, sad and shocked for most of the night
Artemis2085 wrote:so I blurt out "I love you Paul!
Atomicpunk18 wrote:You see Black Crowes music has gotten me laid multiple times.
chungasrevenge

Post by chungasrevenge »

deathcurse wrote:There is a Troll 1, it just has nothing to do with the sequel.

I didn't like Best Worst Movie. The cast and crew were interesting but the fans are intolerable.
Really? I missed that. I see a Troll 3 coming soon.

Ebert just reviewed the movie:

I bought the DVD of “Troll 2” because a friend advised me to see it. “You're busy,” he told me. “You don't have time to see every bad movie. So you might as well see the worst of all time.” Yes, “Troll 2” has a coveted zero percent rating on the Tomatometer: the lowest-rated film ever made. A critic could become the most-hated person in fan circles by awarding it even half a star and spoiling the perfection of that zero.

I always intended to view “Troll 2” but, I dunno, never found the time. Now comes “Best Worst Movie” to save me the trouble. This is a documentary about what happens to you when you appear in “Troll 2.” It stars the star of the original film, a dentist from a town in Alabama named George Hardy. This is one nice guy. Even his ex-wife says so. He has a Harrison Ford head of hair and a smile so wide, it's like a toothpaste billboard. He treats poor kids for free.

He made the movie 20 years ago when he was living in Utah. It was being directed by an Italian named Claudio Fragasso, who didn't “speaka the English” but said he understood Americans better than they understood themselves. The movie was originally named "Goblin" but the title was changed to "Troll 2" because that sounded more commercial. There was a "Troll" (1986), but there was no connection between the two movies, not even trolls, other than that "Troll" ripped off the title.

We catch glimpses of “Troll 2” in “Best Worst Movie.” Don't ask me to explain it. It's about vegetarian goblins who cause their human victims to start growing branches and leaves. The special effects make the victims look like people who have tree limbs strapped to their arms with duct tape. The goblins wear homemade masks a child wouldn't be caught dead wearing on Halloween. The budget was so low, actors had to provide their own clothes. One actor recalls a scene where it was necessary to nail his shoe to the ground. “They used my own shoe,” he moans.

For some time, George Hardy forgot all about having made the movie. Then some of his patients started looking at him strangely and asking him if he'd appeared in this horror film they'd seen on cable. The film had been discovered and embraced by the bottom feeders of horror film fandom, and soon Hardy found himself being invited to revivals and conventions. The other actors were also suddenly in demand.

One of them, Michael Paul Stephenson, who played the kid in the movie, directed this documentary. Neither he nor anyone else knew what Fragasso was attempting or even if he was serious. One actor explains he was out on a pass from a mental institution when he was cast as the ominous store owner: “The actor they hired didn't turn up and they said, OK, you've got the job.” Watching himself in a scene, he says, “You can see I was crazy.”

If the film didn't make much of an impression at the time, its rediscovery certainly did. The actors got standing ovations and started autographing photos, T-shirts and body parts at conventions. Fragasso himself, who looks very slightly like an embittered Fellini, attended revivals at the Nuart in Los Angeles and in Salt Lake City, and said his actors were morons then and are morons today. He adds that to make the worst film is as great an honor as making the best one.

But this curiously touching doc has a bittersweet ending. Stephenson follows Hardy to conventions where only half a dozen people attend his panel. He films him standing at the “Troll 2” table at a horror exhibit, completely ignored. Hardy is reduced to drumming up business: “Have you heard of ‘Troll 2'? You haven't? You should see it! It's the worst movie of all time!” Depressed, he observes, “There's a lot of gingivitis in this room.”

There's something irresistible about the movies. If you've been the star of a famous one, that means something, doesn't it? Even if it's the worst? How many people get even that far? The lesson, I guess, is that you can only be the flavor of the month for about 30 days, sometimes 31. “Troll 2” was February.

“Best Worst Movie” plays Friday and Saturday on a double feature with “Troll 2” at the Music Box. George Hardy and Michael Paul Stephenson will attend.
theglammerthebetter

Post by theglammerthebetter »

Nursery University. Documentary about crazy upper class NYC families trying to get their kids into 20 000$ a year pre school nursery. 7.5/10

Motherhood With Uma thurman anthony edwards minnie driver 6.5/10
They say all good boys go to heaven
But bad boys bring heaven to you
deathcurse
I Wanna Be Somebody

Post by deathcurse »

bronsonbrander wrote:I'd say you're more like that Warcraft dude from Southpark. Fat, no life, virgin, spends his time in a dingy room full of pizza boxes. That's you to a tee.
Aw. Poor Brandon. I know how much you want that to be true. Feel free to ask around but you're so butthurt, you'll just stick with your daydream. Sad.

You, on the other hand, spent hours upon hours of every day pretending to be other people just so you can attract the attention of other guys.

What was your old alternym? Quantavius?

Weren't you "pretending" to be gay with that one?

Best of luck, Brandon.
YYC

Post by YYC »

Phantasm: 3/10 I never liked this movie, but decided to give it another shot. It's still a piece of shit. I'm convinced the only reason it's held in high esteem is because a bunch of people saw it when they were 12 years old and remember it being creepy, but never went back to watch it again. So bad it should have a Troma logo. The dialogue is laughably bad, the actions of the characters are completely nonsensical, and the effects were bad even for 1978.

Precious: 6/10 Meh. Melodramatic cheese. Some of the performances were good, but I just didn't care. It was the rare case of a movie being better than the book, though.

The Runaways: 5/10 Not so much a movie as a collection of montages and shots of Dakota Fanning looking fucked up and the Twilight chick looking angst ridden. From my limited knowledge of the Runaways, it seemed as though they played very fast and loose with the facts of their career. Kinda shitty they didn't even mention Lita's solo career in the post-script either.
ryan76 wrote:I hope all your children have small penises, including the girls.
Bridget
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by Bridget »

YYC wrote: The Runaways: 5/10 Not so much a movie as a collection of montages and shots of Dakota Fanning looking fucked up and the Twilight chick looking angst ridden.
Kristen Stewart's face is stuck that way, she can't help it. She's the go-to gal for angst.
Last edited by Bridget on Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ironman
Creaton Tard

Post by Ironman »

Clash of the Titans on DVD.

9/10 :!:

Very impressive. Loved it.
RPB wrote:Oh, shut the fuck up already.
Ironman
Creaton Tard

Post by Ironman »

Evil Dead wrote:In the Mouth of Madness - 6/10

This movie was weird. It started off slow and there's no explanation about what is going on. But the second half of the movie is insane. It's basically like Inception-lite where you don't know what's real and what isn't.
The author in question was called Sutter Cain, right? I saw that several years ago.
RPB wrote:Oh, shut the fuck up already.
Bridget
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by Bridget »

Prodigal Sons -8.9/10. It's great. Reading the description of this movie leads you to believe that it's more about the woman who does all of the voice over an is the basic subject of the film, but there's so much more to it.
Bridget
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by Bridget »

King Corn - 7/10. I watched it as a follow up to Food, Inc. hoping it would be better than it was. It was okay, but the beginning was too slow and overall it was just a little dull. Watching the part with the HFCS lady was kind of funny because she looked like she'd be plucked straight out of 1992 and appeared to be reading straight from some kind of HFCS bible.
Out Of The Cellar

Post by Out Of The Cellar »

Born Into Brothels - 10/10

A documentary about the kids living in the Red Light District of Calcutta, India. These kids are children of prostitutes, and this chick, humanitarian chick, teaches the kids photography. What I like about it is that it tackles prostitution but never condemns it. It even kind of shows that it's the norm in India. Some frustrating scenes here and there, and there are some scenes that just make you smile and go grab a beer. A must watch for those interested with human interest kind of documentaries.
theglammerthebetter

Post by theglammerthebetter »

Watched FAME(2009 version) last night i really wanted to like it but it was bleh 4/10
They say all good boys go to heaven
But bad boys bring heaven to you
Indy_Rob
Headlining a Theater Tour

Post by Indy_Rob »

My lady and I had a double-feature night last night:

When in Rome - 1/5 - Terrible. Completely implausible, formulaic. Every chick flick has the same formula.

She's Out of My League - 3.5/5 - Not bad, not great. Had some entertaining, funny scenes and dialogue. No nudity. Bummer. :evil:
SLASH1976
Doing Package Tours in Theaters

Post by SLASH1976 »

Zombieland - 7 / 10.
Fun movie to watch while stoned or drunk
SAVE THE EARTH IT'S THE ONLY PLANET WITH BEER

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy & paste him into your
(")_(") sig to help him gain world domination

Indy_Rob
Headlining a Theater Tour

Post by Indy_Rob »

SLASH1976 wrote:Zombieland - 7 / 10.
Fun movie to watch sober too! :D
SLASH1976

Post by SLASH1976 »

Indy_Rob wrote:
SLASH1976 wrote:Zombieland - 7 / 10.
Fun movie to watch sober too! :D
I might try that !

(\__/)

SLASH1976

Post by SLASH1976 »

Evil Dead wrote:Insomnia - This was a very good movie. It's about an LA Cop played by Al Pacino who's being investigated but is sent to Nightmute, Alaska with his partner. There in Nightmute he and his partner help with the investigation of a 16 year old girl. Good acting and a good story.
Did u see the original ?
both are good

(\__/)

YYC

Post by YYC »

2012--3/10 I knew it sucked going in, and I was still let down. Long, boring, and stupid; I want my 2 1/2 hours back.
ryan76 wrote:I hope all your children have small penises, including the girls.
Space Bear
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by Space Bear »

theglammerthebetter wrote:Nursery University. Documentary about crazy upper class NYC families trying to get their kids into 20 000$ a year pre school nursery. 7.5/10
Sounds interesting enough to add to the queue, so it is done.
my bestest friend ever deathcurse wrote:Space Bear is boring. He'll cry about this and I won't read it because he just sucks and makes me want to get hit by a car.