Planet of the Apes

A place to discuss whatever you want.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

TravisBicklesMohawk
Headlining a Theater Tour

Planet of the Apes

Post by TravisBicklesMohawk »

These movies are the GOAT. All of them, even the much hated Tim Burton version. Which didn’t deserve any hate, imo. The Ape Lincoln ending was kinda neat.

But overall, this is a amazing series, that gets better and better with each film.

There is also a tv show which is great too, if you ever get a chance to see it.

And yes, I will definitely be checking out Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes this weekend.

Let's discuss . . .
The Tao of Pooh
Image Image
TooOldToCare
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Re: Planet of the Apes

Post by TooOldToCare »

Having grown up on the original movies with humans in costumes and prosthetics, I have a hard time with these CGI'd movies. I wish the chimps looked less chimp-like and some apocalyptic version. I love shit like the alternate reality of Ape Lincoln, but I have a hard time getting into the movies. Now that most movies are heavily CGI'd, including the locations being nothing but green screens rather than practical sets, it has ruined a lot of the movie experience for me.
keyofgee
Headlining Clubs

Post by keyofgee »

The original three are classics and show how mankind can/ and will always frack stuff up. It also showed how the actors unknowingly and subconsciously stayed with their own kind during breaks. It was observed. It also taught us about how religion is also a State, along with the Police and Government. It also addressed the racial tension of the 60's.
these movies are more than just entertainment.

The remake with Walberg was a good one too. I was hoping it would develop into a part 2 but it didn't happen. I agree, the Lincoln memorial as an ape was a powerful image. I haven't seen any of the others.
pieceofme
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by pieceofme »

I don't like apes, so fuck these films. Actually one has estella Warren in it and she was fine back in the day.
GrayAntiMatter wrote:EVH

Zappa is pure cult status shit. He is to music what Bruce fucking Campbell is to acting....
GoodJudge
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by GoodJudge »

It inspired one of the best garage rock songs ever - The Mummies - (You Must Fight To Live) On The Planet Of The Apes
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xyWK0qUfop4
Chip Z'Hoy
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by Chip Z'Hoy »

keyofgee wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 11:43 am The original three are classics and show how mankind can/ and will always frack stuff up. It also showed how the actors unknowingly and subconsciously stayed with their own kind during breaks. It was observed. It also taught us about how religion is also a State, along with the Police and Government. It also addressed the racial tension of the 60's.
:lol:
LAglamrocker wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 3:56 pmClub was packed with Metal Edge fans 18-30..no stupid Rush Roll The Bones dipsh*ts
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

keyofgee wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 11:43 am The original three are classics and show how mankind can/ and will always frack stuff up. It also showed how the actors unknowingly and subconsciously stayed with their own kind during breaks. It was observed. It also taught us about how religion is also a State, along with the Police and Government. It also addressed the racial tension of the 60's.

The remake with Walberg was a good one too. I was hoping it would develop into a part 2 but it didn't happen. I agree, the Lincoln memorial as an ape was a powerful image. I haven't seen any of the others.
The most impressive thing about the original movies is how good those ape actors were.

Zappa is pure cult status shit. He is to music what Bruce fucking Campbell is to acting....
keyofgee
Headlining Clubs

Post by keyofgee »

I think some are missing the deeper meanings of the movies but anyway, lol but here is a great scene during the trial of Taylor.
The actors originally were clowning around with the see no evil, speak no evil, hear no evil saying at the time and the director left it in the movie

https://youtu.be/0xJz9dLyRI8?si=Ie0K6oftxg5JVVfc
TravisBicklesMohawk

I’m not expecting any surprises for the latest installment. I mean, what could they possibly do that we can’t figure out or have seen already.

I guess the Burton version was so great because you could not figure out the ending. At least it didn’t have a logical explanation. I always figured that Leo actually landed on an ape planet and did return to Earth at the end, where it was completely fucked up. But that’s just my opinion.

An endless discussion . . .
The Tao of Pooh
Image Image
KISStian
Learning KISS Riffs

Post by KISStian »

I'm curious to see where they start going with this one. I'm thinking that they could be looking to tie the reboot trilogy into the 1968 movie timeline wise. I grew up on the early Apes movie/tv show and even the cartoon. Burton was a dud, and I love Burton, but the 2011 onward flix have been solid.
GreatWhiteSnake
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by GreatWhiteSnake »

I was obsessed with the original films when I was a kid. I had a recurring nightmare of waking up and being the only human in my town full of apes. Then about 20 years ago I went through a 2-3 month period of just watching them again over and over. I will still pretty much sit down and watch anything POTA anytime...
GWS video of the week Seven Seconds of Shred https://youtu.be/6DAqH3eKqEM?si=N2I9eU92_ovsb69d updated 3/9/24
https://soundcloud.com/crunch-104998557
BernieTaupson
Headlining Clubs

Post by BernieTaupson »

GreatWhiteSnake wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 6:46 pm I was obsessed with the original films when I was a kid. I had a recurring nightmare of waking up and being the only human in my town full of apes. Then about 20 years ago I went through a 2-3 month period of just watching them again over and over.
You must have taken this literally.

Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by Bono Nettencourt »

I did - had the action figures, the playsets, everything. The original is an all-time classic. The 4 sequels are also entertaining, despite their various detours into 70s cheese themes. The Burton movie sucked, and I've 0 interest in the reboot series.
ijwthstd wrote: obviously you take this way too seriously and were deeply affected by what transpired in the early 1990's and hopefully you are discussing these issues with a therapist in addition to other fans on music message boards.
TravisBicklesMohawk

Interesting how the fan base seems to be divided up like Star Wars fans.
The old school, rubber-masked apes versus the newer, cgi apes.

It’s all good to me.

And the Burton Apes movie isn’t that bad. You should check it out as it will probably be all over cable this week in order to promote the new movie.

Disney owns the ape franchise, btw. 8)
The Tao of Pooh
Image Image
tapsmiled
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by tapsmiled »

In my opinion, Rise of the Planet of the Apes had the single greatest post-credits scene ever. It laid out the entire future with no dialogue. It was genius.

https://youtu.be/5EyC3o4UsI0?si=vvKUGiCVgOvYWZY1
AngryAgain wrote:FUCK YOU LEPPARDCUNTIOWA - TAKE A WALK IN MY SHOES U PIECE OF SHIT
cookie wrote:last I checked you couldn't catch ecoli from your chuff.
CrouchingStonerHiddenBong wrote:Even clot-eating one armed push-upping cellphone carriers have standards.
Metal Sludge
The End All Be All

Post by Metal Sludge »

I'm a huge fan!
My favorites go in the order they were released. :lol:
The first was the best.
I was about 9 or 10 years old, and it was the first time I was allowed to stay up late to watch a movie on Friday night. It was one f the best night's of my childhood.
The original 5 were great, but I like the newer ones well enough too.

I feel like I need to go back and watch them all, before I see this new one.

OK, that's totally just an excuse to go watch them all again...but I'm gonna do it!
I don't have any plans this weekend...I can get through them!
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

TravisBicklesMohawk wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 8:02 am Interesting how the fan base seems to be divided up like Star Wars fans.
The old school, rubber-masked apes versus the newer, cgi apes.

It’s all good to me.

And the Burton Apes movie isn’t that bad. You should check it out as it will probably be all over cable this week in order to promote the new movie.

Disney owns the ape franchise, btw. 8)
Another reason to hate these films.

Read a review that the new one is very generic

Mojo
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by Mojo »

The only one I've ever seen is the Tim Burton one, and that was years ago out of loyalty to Tim Burton. I'm trying to watch Rise, the first in the reboot series. I'm such a fucking pussy because I can barely stomach anything where any animal is fucked with. These are CGI and I'm still sitting here all pissed off.
Rooster wrote: I hunt with a handgun.
pieceofme wrote: Yeah, Mojo is a lot of peoples favourite!
keyofgee wrote: I am a free thinker
Image Image
Mister Freeze
Platinum Artist

Post by Mister Freeze »

They're all streaming on Hulu right now: old ones, reboots, everything.

I watched the first one last night. Still brilliant for its time. Watching an astronaut smoke a cigar on board a spaceship is so '60s.

Then I watched "Beneath the Planet of the Apes." Holy crap, that was awful. The first one had a few subtle social themes. But this sequel hits you over the head with them like a hammer. The "hippie" monkeys reminded me of when one of the new Star Wars movies had a droid that rambled about "Me Too" stuff. I think the behind-the-scenes negotiations for Heston to return for a bit part would probably be more entertaining than the movie.

I'm about five minutes into "Escape..." which is like watching a '70s TV show. Is the rest of it this campy?
skunklovestiger wrote: A comment like this needs a really useless piece of shit. Well maybe you are used to get fucked by your mother in the basement. It would be better if somebody just kills you useless asshole. Just killl yourself shithead.
Mister Freeze
Platinum Artist

Post by Mister Freeze »

The Simpsons Planet of the Apes musical is worth a re-watch:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlmzUEQxOvA
skunklovestiger wrote: A comment like this needs a really useless piece of shit. Well maybe you are used to get fucked by your mother in the basement. It would be better if somebody just kills you useless asshole. Just killl yourself shithead.
TravisBicklesMohawk

Mister Freeze wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 7:14 am They're all streaming on Hulu right now: old ones, reboots, everything.

I watched the first one last night. Still brilliant for its time. Watching an astronaut smoke a cigar on board a spaceship is so '60s.

Then I watched "Beneath the Planet of the Apes." Holy crap, that was awful. The first one had a few subtle social themes. But this sequel hits you over the head with them like a hammer. The "hippie" monkeys reminded me of when one of the new Star Wars movies had a droid that rambled about "Me Too" stuff. I think the behind-the-scenes negotiations for Heston to return for a bit part would probably be more entertaining than the movie.

I'm about five minutes into "Escape..." which is like watching a '70s TV show. Is the rest of it this campy?
I agree Beneath was not a very good film, but it does have its moments. I think they had run out of good ideas by this point and just didn't know what to do with the franchise.

Escape is very campy, but that's never bothered me. I like them all regardless.
The Tao of Pooh
Image Image
TravisBicklesMohawk

Mister Freeze wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 7:16 am The Simpsons Planet of the Apes musical is worth a re-watch:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlmzUEQxOvA
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Definitely one of the Simpsons greatest moments!
The Tao of Pooh
Image Image