What is the hardest part about aging?

A place to discuss whatever you want.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

ParaDime77
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

What is the hardest part about aging?

Post by ParaDime77 »

Seems like the older you get the more things fly by and change rapidly. What do you think is the hardest part about aging?
Everyone Is Someone Else's Bitch
TooOldToCare
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Re: What is the hardest part about aging?

Post by TooOldToCare »

Aside from the aging itself, for me it's been watching a parent die and another 84 year old Mom not really living. She'd prefer to not wake up in the morning. Second would be work. I'm about 4 years from retiring but my tank is empty now. I do what I need to, but I'm not remotely into it anymore. I'm not crazy about getting older, but I guess one is lucky to have the chance to get old. I see too many (including my first wife) die way too young.
LadyJaneGrey
Headlining Clubs

Post by LadyJaneGrey »

Right now, I'd say it's going through menopause. I'm experiencing it much earlier than I expected, and while physical symptoms haven't been too bad, mentally it gets me down knowing that I can't have any more kids.
GreatWhiteSnake
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by GreatWhiteSnake »

Peeing. Definitely the peeing...
GWS video of the week Seven Seconds of Shred https://youtu.be/6DAqH3eKqEM?si=N2I9eU92_ovsb69d updated 3/9/24
https://soundcloud.com/crunch-104998557
Black Stuff
Doing Package Tours in Theaters

Post by Black Stuff »

The body vs mind thing. I used to be able to do this and cant anymore, etc
The power of Sludge compels you.
TravisBicklesMohawk
Headlining a Theater Tour

Post by TravisBicklesMohawk »

All of the above in addition to a few other things:

Health. I worry my breast cancer will come back. It hasn't, so far, but it's always in the back of my mind. In addition to all the other things that can go wrong when you get older.

I also don't want to be labeled as an old person trying to look cool. Don't wear my rock t-shirts or Godzilla t-shirts anymore for that very reason.

Lack of friends. I'm at a new job now and most of my co-workers are just that, co-workers. I honestly don't have any close friends aside from my boyfriend.
Kinda sad, and I guess that happens at any age. People just become people. Nothing special.
The Tao of Pooh
Image Image
TooOldToCare

Post by TooOldToCare »

TravisBicklesMohawk wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2024 11:41 am All of the above in addition to a few other things:

Health. I worry my breast cancer will come back. It hasn't, so far, but it's always in the back of my mind. In addition to all the other things that can go wrong when you get older.

I also don't want to be labeled as an old person trying to look cool. Don't wear my rock t-shirts or Godzilla t-shirts anymore for that very reason.

Lack of friends. I'm at a new job now and most of my co-workers are just that, co-workers. I honestly don't have any close friends aside from my boyfriend.
Kinda sad, and I guess that happens at any age. People just become people. Nothing special.
Yes. I hear you (as a male). I have had very few health issues aside from Generalized Anxiety Disorder, but I've seen too many old schoolmates die already. It is ever-present in the back of my mind. I have no one I would call a close friend. I refuse to socialize with coworkers because I want that boundary. I have a couple of guys I do some things with occasionally, but it isn't like we do guy vacations. My wife is my best friend and preferred person for doing things, and I'm okay with that. I will still wear graphic tees (rock or otherwise). IDGAF what anyone thinks of my clothes, and I never look like a try-hard attempting to look cool.
Turner Coates
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by Turner Coates »

ParaDime77 wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2024 3:33 pm What do you think is the hardest part about aging?
Finding out there are aches, pains and physical nuisances that you'd never heard of or dwelled upon when younger.
You finally realize and become familiar with a lot of serious stuff that affects millions of folks.

Look at all those commercials for drugs with ridiculous names. There's TONS of them.
Those are primarily aimed at aging boomers.
Fill your life with the best you can.
TravisBicklesMohawk
Headlining a Theater Tour

Post by TravisBicklesMohawk »

TooOldToCare wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2024 11:50 am
TravisBicklesMohawk wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2024 11:41 am All of the above in addition to a few other things:

Yes. I hear you (as a male). I have had very few health issues aside from Generalized Anxiety Disorder, but I've seen too many old schoolmates die already. It is ever-present in the back of my mind. I have no one I would call a close friend. I refuse to socialize with coworkers because I want that boundary. I have a couple of guys I do some things with occasionally, but it isn't like we do guy vacations. My wife is my best friend and preferred person for doing things, and I'm okay with that. I will still wear graphic tees (rock or otherwise). IDGAF what anyone thinks of my clothes, and I never look like a try-hard attempting to look cool.
Glad to hear that for you.

Me, on the other hand, find it hard to enjoy the things that keep me young like I use to.
Example: I skipped G-Fest this year. For those who don't know, that's Godzilla Fest in Chicago.
Cried my eyes out, but it just felt weird for me to go hang with a bunch of G fans, most of which are half my age now.
My boyfriend thought it was silly, as most Godzilla fans are about our age. At least the cool ones are.
So maybe that was a mistake . . .
Still heartbroken though.
The Tao of Pooh
Image Image
LAglamrocker

Post by LAglamrocker »

Regrets - missed opportunities- wrong decisions that caused wasted life
I have none of these- aging is actually fun. Looking back how great everything has been
Jani Lane and Bret Michaels should form a band called "Nelson II"
TooOldToCare

Post by TooOldToCare »

LAglamrocker wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2024 5:32 pm Regrets - missed opportunities- wrong decisions that caused wasted life
I have none of these- aging is actually fun. Looking back how great everything has been
Its clear growing up isn't in your vocabulary. :D
Hellsinkey

Post by Hellsinkey »

People dying from around you. Within 10 months, there have been four deaths of close people.
KISStian
Opening Act in Local Bars

Post by KISStian »

Thinking that getting into a regularly simple routine of going to the Y or whatever 2-3 per week or just walking a little bit every day in my 20s or even 30s would be paying dividends now.
LAglamrocker

Post by LAglamrocker »

Blah blah blah funerals happen all the time friends blah blah family blah blah pets wah
A bunch of Cody crybabies

Solo Sikoa doesn’t surround himself with crybabies

Kiss fans zero plans for lifetime of exercise (shocking) Walking shoes what are those for?
skinni

Post by skinni »

For me, so far, difficulties with aging are nonexistent. Life has been beyond ideal.

Of course, life is filled with challenges, however, the beauty of aging is that we build up an inner resilience and wisdom to virtuously face those challenges, ideally, without vocalizing complaints or seeking external validation.

I do agree with LAglamrocker on the unnecessary overemphasis of death, it's inevitable that family/friends/pets/etc will die, accept it, you will appreciate life more fully.
LAglamrocker

Post by LAglamrocker »

Jacob Fatu doesn’t cry about funerals. He just moves on enjoying life (like Cleveland last night)

I hope Cody has his dog funeral the night before Wreslemania in Vegas
DonJuanDeMarco
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by DonJuanDeMarco »

When you’re talking with some 22 year old girl and you’re playing it cool then casually ask “who do you like more…Roxy Blue or Babylon A.D.” and she acts like she has no idea what you’re talking about.

She kinda knows Motley Crue but only because of The Dirt. The Netflix movie not the book.

She doesn’t even remember MP3’s….nevermind CD’s and cassettes.

Getting old is tough.
"You want Don Juan DeMarco, the world's greatest lover, to talk to you? What do you know of great love?"
Chip Z'Hoy

Post by Chip Z'Hoy »

Time starts to go by really fast.
LAglamrocker wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 3:56 pmClub was packed with Metal Edge fans 18-30..no stupid Rush Roll The Bones dipsh*ts
whammybar
Doing Package Tours in Theaters

Post by whammybar »

Hellsinkey wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2024 8:51 pm People dying from around you. Within 10 months, there have been four deaths of close people.
Definitely. I've never really gotten over losing my parents. I was thinking back the other day about a big party we had out in the woods when I was in high school. The twelve people that were there with me are all gone now. It's a very strange feeling. The loss of my wife and dad hangs over me every single day.
VincentVanWinger
Showcasing for A&R Reps

Post by VincentVanWinger »

You think about all the shit you worried about in your 20s that never came to pass and you wish you would have exhaled a bit and enjoyed things. So instead of doing that now you have a whole new slate of shit to worry about.
unclejoshc
Playing Frat Parties

Post by unclejoshc »

That you can't just die and avoid it altogether.
"You can't even remember...what I'm trying to forget"
TooOldToCare

Post by TooOldToCare »

VincentVanWinger wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2024 8:49 am You think about all the shit you worried about in your 20s that never came to pass and you wish you would have exhaled a bit and enjoyed things. So instead of doing that now you have a whole new slate of shit to worry about.
I didn't imagine the aging parents thing would be as hard as it is. I don't know how families that have many miles, states, or countries between them do it. My 84-year-old Mom lives 90 minutes from me, and not a day goes by that I'm not dealing with something (even trivial stuff) or worrying about it.
Rocker4Real
Blowing Advance from Record Label

Post by Rocker4Real »

Partying isn't as fun. Hangovers are worse.
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

VincentVanWinger wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2024 8:49 am You think about all the shit you worried about in your 20s that never came to pass and you wish you would have exhaled a bit and enjoyed things. So instead of doing that now you have a whole new slate of shit to worry about.
This rings true for me.
GrayAntiMatter wrote:EVH

Zappa is pure cult status shit. He is to music what Bruce fucking Campbell is to acting....
Danzig in the Dark

Post by Danzig in the Dark »

unclejoshc wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2024 11:35 am That you can't just die and avoid it altogether.
Are you immortal?
ImageImage
mullet_head
Headlining Clubs

Post by mullet_head »

The hardest part for me about getting older gotta be the high school girls. While they stay the same age, it keeps getting harder and harder for me to score with them.

My son doesn't even bring them home anymore, the cock blocking son of a bitch.
TooOldToCare

Post by TooOldToCare »

mullet_head wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2024 4:13 pm The hardest part for me about getting older gotta be the high school girls. While they stay the same age
DonJuanDeMarco
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by DonJuanDeMarco »

The original quote was great. Don’t mess with perfection.
"You want Don Juan DeMarco, the world's greatest lover, to talk to you? What do you know of great love?"
mrsnikkisixx
Headlining Clubs

Post by mrsnikkisixx »

The constant fatigue, and lack of desire to do things that used to bring you joy. I loved going to concerts, but now it’s a chore to me, and I really have to consider how many times I’ve seen someone, and how much their set list will have changed. Getting up in morning is a hassle, and filled with various aches and pains. I find younger people to be annoying (those below 30), and I much prefer to stay at home and do nothing. Might as well push me off a cliff now. I’m a cranky old broad. Get off my damn lawn !!
unclejoshc
Playing Frat Parties

Post by unclejoshc »

Danzig in the Dark wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2024 3:17 pm
unclejoshc wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2024 11:35 am That you can't just die and avoid it altogether.
Are you immortal?
There can be only one! :D

I meant die before you age and have all the associated issues.
"You can't even remember...what I'm trying to forget"