Post by marky-boy2 »

hot tub time machine 5/5

fucking funny and plenty of hair metal references going on

and way funnier than the hangover
John Simon Ritchie
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Re: Rate the last movie you saw

Post by John Simon Ritchie »

Machete- 7.5 outta 10. As expected, cheesy and over the top homage to the 70s drive-in fare of my youth. Jessica Alba and Michelle Rodriguez should have gotten it on with each other, IMO. :wink:
I wonder if they'll do a spinoff/sequel featuring Michelle's character as She?
"I was looking for that great jazz note that destroyed the walls of Jericho." - The Clash, The Sound Of Sinners
Kristi Vanian
Spike's Bitch

Post by Kristi Vanian »

Black Widow - 10/10. Starring Ginger Rogers.

Rogers is Carlotta Marin, a grande dame of the theater, married, it would seem happily, to Brian Mullen. The death of a young, ambitious writer named Nancy, who gloms onto a theater producer, who's in love with his wife, Iris. Nancy's death appears to be self-inflicted, and yet as each piece of evidence--a weird suicide note, a threatening letter received in the mail--piles up, things begin to point to murder.
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

marky-boy2 wrote:hot tub time machine 5/5

fucking funny and plenty of hair metal references going on

and way funnier than the hangover
Agreed.
GrayAntiMatter wrote:EVH

Zappa is pure cult status shit. He is to music what Bruce fucking Campbell is to acting....
johnk5150

Post by johnk5150 »

Servant Of Satan wrote:Surrogates, with Bruce Willis. It was good nothing exceptional I give it 7 out of 10. If you have seen I Robot, AI, The 6th Day you might be getting some deja vu when watching the movie.

I think it was much more interesting than the other 2 flicks. I liked it a lot.
He's like the Liberace of bass & pot.

$tevil
Fletch
Doing Package Tours in Theaters

Post by Fletch »

Vanilla Sky (2001) - 5/10. Didn't follow it that well.
theglammerthebetter
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by theglammerthebetter »

Fletch wrote:Vanilla Sky (2001) - 5/10. Didn't follow it that well.
That movie deserves a 5 just for hearing those words from Cameron diaz

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3741K68dqo
They say all good boys go to heaven
But bad boys bring heaven to you
deadvelvetrose
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by deadvelvetrose »

The Town 7/10

They should of used the book title "Prince of Thieves" as it better describes the movie more so than the town
drops_of_jupiter
Winning Local Battle of the Bands

Post by drops_of_jupiter »

Heaven Sent - 8/10
I'm biased though 'cos I'm in it :mrgreen:
jadecrowe
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by jadecrowe »

Survival of the Dead 7/10

nice to have Mr. Romero back at the helm. he rarely, if ever, disappoints.
"I'm afraid of what I've become. Tell them they should be too."
Woosh
Cap'n Creamy Pee

Post by Woosh »

Scott Pilgrim whatever: I wasn't really up to the Scott Pilgrim saga before the film, but I understood that there was an intense cult following. It was easy to pick up on what they were trying to do in the film though, and there was some interesting blending of geek culture with film, I suppose. Macaulay Kulkin's brother, Kieran was a stand-out performance, along with main villain Jason Schwarzman (wtf?). I really can't stand Michael Cera, but the movie still managed to be watchable, if that tells you anything. Decent music, as well. 7/10

Easy A: Just saw this one tonight. Thomas Haden Church is always a delight, if even in a minor role, same for Stan Tucci. The premise for the film is weak, but everybody tries, and sometimes you can get an e for effort. Amanda Bynes is cute as the bitchy Christian bad girl, and I don't really know the name of the protagonist. While it wasn't overtly offensive by any means, it was also pretty forgettable. I can't see myself remembering this movie even a couple months from now. 5.5/10

I would recommend you all watch The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly. Now that's a real film.

SOMETHING IMPORTANT I WOULD JUST LIKE TO LET FELLOW FILM PEOPLE KNOW: I appreciate you guys who actually attempt to do a review along with your rating. just seeing a film title and number is lazy as shit, doesn't tell me anything about what i'm getting into, and all i end up with is an arbitrary number given to me by a person i don't even know. Even people who write bad reviews like myself, for example, thanks. To people who don't write reviews, I'm not saying fuck you, but I am saying, write one if you don't mind. I will read it, and it may just influence my film-watching decision.
IF UR ONE OF US THEN
Inessence
Platinum Artist

Post by Inessence »

Sorry Woosh, but I'm lazy as fuck.
IggyPopWillEatItself wrote:
Inessence wrote:Whoa. I bought a cd of a band Iggy hasn't heard of before? :lol:
Yep, there's actually still a few left out there! :lol:
Woosh
Cap'n Creamy Pee

Post by Woosh »

heh, like i said, it's not like "fuck you" or anything. i appreciate your honesty.

as far as my reviews went, those above were quite lazy. I didn't really know the proper names of the films, and sometimes i don't really wanna go into the plot (0r can't for fear or spoiling it).

Sometimes it is enough to just say WHY you liked/disliked it.
IF UR ONE OF US THEN
MurrayFiend

Post by MurrayFiend »

Indy_Rob wrote:
MurrayFiend wrote:Higher Learning- 5/10.

A bit much. Sorta like an overly long after-school special. Certainly wouldn't recommend it over Boyz N The Hood, and Busta Rhymes has to be one of the very worst actors I've ever had the displeasure of watching. What the fuck kind of a performance was that?! It was OK for passing a couple hours, though; Michael Rapaport, Kristy Swanson, Omar Epps and Laurence Fishburne were all more than passable, and Ice Cube played a more conscious Doughboy, which despite his limited talent was fine with me. Just wish the story was a bit stronger and less obvious (Black Power types versus Neo-Nazis? Really?)... oh, and the soundtrack was nice. Didn't recognize that OutKast track.
Menace II Society was the best of that kind of mid-90's movie. I remember watching it and thinking that Laurenz (sp?) Tate fucking nailed that part. Man, I just wanted that fucker to die!
Yeah, it's between that and Boyz for me.
HeavyMetalZombie666 wrote:Any chicks on this board like Sean Connery or Roger Moore?
theglammerthebetter

Extraordinary measures. the story of the dad willing to try and do anything to save his sick children with 2 of the stiffest actors out there (brendan fraser and harrison ford) 7/10

The squid and the whale, wow what a movie with GREAT acting from daniels and linney even tough they are playing pretentious assholes. It was a 9.5/10 until the brutal ending 8/10
Bridget
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by Bridget »

Scott Pilgrim vs. The World - 8/10. It's really clever. Michael Cera is in it, but his schtick is toned down a lot. It's the movie Kick-Ass should have been.
stella_d_ella
Doing 10 Questions with Metal Sludge

Post by stella_d_ella »

Corina, Corina: Okay, it had Woopie and Ray Liotta in it, so I figured it might be one of the more watchable movies onDemand had to offer, but nope. That movie was one epic failure beginning with the opening feet scene. For some strange reason, I felt compelled to keep watching it. Between the part with the "touch your nose for yes" and "Your mother is in the bathtub", I realized the movie was nothing more than A PILE OF CRAP. 1/10.

Bounty Hunter: I watched this on an international flight. Somewhere between Cuba and Miami, a crusty foot appeared on my arm rest, causing me to recoil and yank my head phones from the socket. Thank you, foot. From what I saw, it was alright, but the dialogue left little to be desired. 5/10

Rules of Attraction: With a decent cast (Jessica Biel, Kip Pardue, Shannyn Sossamon), I figured this movie would be worth my time, however, I found the rewinding theme at the beginning very agitating. This movie might be great for a high functioning person with dementia, but I found it dull and redundant. 6/10 for the cast.

Godfather III: I had trouble in the past getting through this movie, but I finally managed to sit still and watch it. Now, I can fully understand why the ratings are so bad. IMO, Sofia Coppola brought the film to it's knees with her horrendous attempt at acting. Everything was so over the top, and her face remained so vacant, even during the more emotional scenes. 6/10.

Zombieland: There's nothing more hilarious than a clown-fearing guy with IBS running away from Zombies. I laughed throughout a good portion of this movie. 9/10
Pat Boone wrote:"I am not moonwalking, I am Boone-walking."
Inessence
Platinum Artist

Post by Inessence »

Soulmen - 8/10 Thin and predictable plot. Still, Bernie Mac and Samuel L. Jackson are hilarious.
IggyPopWillEatItself wrote:
Inessence wrote:Whoa. I bought a cd of a band Iggy hasn't heard of before? :lol:
Yep, there's actually still a few left out there! :lol:
Space Bear
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by Space Bear »

Hachi: A Dog's Tale - What should have been a sure-fire emotional button pusher ended up being boring and blah. I should've known better from the start since it starred Richard Gere. It's based on a true story about a dog in Japan in the 1920s that loved his owner so much, when the owner died he continued to wait for him at the train station for many years.

In theory, this is a remake of the 1987 Japanese film Hachiko Monogatari. But then again it's not. It's not, because they changed a bunch of stuff to dumb it down and make it Wal-Mart audience friendly. We're no longer in Japan, it's somehow present day, and I could've cared less about Gere's lead character. I suppose if you're very easily swayed by the simplest of emotional themes you might connect with it more than I did.

The dog performance is the only thing I would consider worth watching. He's a cute Akita, obviously well trained. For some reason they didn't think an Akita puppy was cute enough, so the first part of the film features a Shiba in the role. They do kinda look alike at that age, but it's a stupid transition once you know the difference.

I haven't watched the Japanese version yet, but I will to see if it's any better:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylpP6JT4 ... re=related

I'm fairly certain this version is true to the actual events.

***SPOILER ALERT*** One of the most moving elements is the fact that after he died, a statue was made of Hachi that still stands at the train station to this day. In the Gere movie they just mention it and show a picture at the very end, when they reveal it was based on a true story. ***END SPOILER ***

I now know the people who write reviews on the Netflix site are definitely retarded. Everyone gives it five stars, and gushes about how they cried so much. I guess that was right before they were served pudding and tucked into bed. 3/10
my bestest friend ever deathcurse wrote:Space Bear is boring. He'll cry about this and I won't read it because he just sucks and makes me want to get hit by a car.
theglammerthebetter

I cried for the last 30 minutes of that movie non stop, when the widow showed up so many years later and when hachi had a his flashback to the good old days before dying i completely lost it.

Rushmore 6.5/10
SmokingGun
Headlining Clubs

Post by SmokingGun »

Kick Ass

6/10

Manufactured Hollywood bullshit. Looks good, should be good, but is the definition of a very well polished turd.

Frozen

5/10

I usually either watch a movie, or I don't, this might be the 2nd or 3rd movie in my life that I fast forwarded through.. and I don't think I missed much.

In Bruges

8/10

Very unique, lots of unexpected stuff. Entertaining.

Raging Bull

10/10

The whole movie feels ad-libbed, very natural and not rehearsed. It really draws you in. Absolutely brilliant.
Space Bear
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by Space Bear »

theglammerthebetter wrote:I cried for the last 30 minutes of that movie non stop, when the widow showed up so many years later and when hachi had a his flashback to the good old days before dying i completely lost it.
Seek professional help. :lol:
my bestest friend ever deathcurse wrote:Space Bear is boring. He'll cry about this and I won't read it because he just sucks and makes me want to get hit by a car.
WhiteHouseSubsAC

Post by WhiteHouseSubsAC »

Space Bear wrote:
theglammerthebetter wrote:I cried for the last 30 minutes of that movie non stop, when the widow showed up so many years later and when hachi had a his flashback to the good old days before dying i completely lost it.
Seek professional help. :lol:
You need to take a shower after reading his posts and PRAY all the gay comes off.
HeavyMetalZombie666 wrote:Of course your asshole is going to be sore when you volunteer for an asspounding and not set any boundaries at all.
theglammerthebetter

The town, it was a bit slow 7/10

Eat pray love, i love julia roberts and i really wanted to like it but no 5/10
johnk5150

Post by johnk5150 »

The Runaways...I can't get that thing back to Netflix fast enough. Will someone please make a decent movie about my favorite bands?
He's like the Liberace of bass & pot.

$tevil
gyvren
Headlining Clubs

Post by gyvren »

MacGreuber. 5/10

That movie's lucky to get that much from me. The pot brownies and multiple bowls helped...but only a little.
Only users LOSE drugs...
knuckles.is.contractual
Headlining Clubs

Post by knuckles.is.contractual »

They just launched netflix streaming in Canada. Yay!

We Jam Econo: The Story of The Minutemen - I liked it. I didn't really know much about the minutemen but they influenced and played with bands I like so I've been meaning to get around to them eventually. Good movie for someone with that same sort of interest or maybe someone who just can't get enough of the band. I think everybody else can give it a pass.

Martyrs - I liked it, but I could have used a bit more "why". I know they lay it all out, but it could have used a little more screen time.

Open Your Eyes - The Spanish Vanilla Sky. I don't know why everybody keeps going on about how much better this one is. It's been a few years since I saw Vanilla Sky, but as far as I remember they're the exact same fucking movie except in the Spanish version one of the chicks is hotter and the special effects are shittier.

Uh, I just watched all of Justified Season 1 today too. Good show.
theglammerthebetter

The road, hey kids lets walk, come now lets walk some more, hey why dont we keep on walking, the end 4/10
jadecrowe
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by jadecrowe »

Whisper 6.5/10

got it out of the dollar bin at Wal-Mart, so i didn't expect much out of it. actually picked it up around last Christmas so it took me almost a year to get around to watching it. big mistake.

i thought it was going to be your basic generic kidnapping gone wrong flick. son of a bitch, was i ever wrong. the victim of said kidnapping makes Damien look like a kindergarten playground bully. little fucker was flat out evil. i would have rated it higher, but the acting wasn't all that stellar. except for Blake Woodruff who played David, the kidnapped boy. and Josh Holloway is always good for eye candy.
"I'm afraid of what I've become. Tell them they should be too."
makaveli
Headlining Clubs

Post by makaveli »

knuckles.is.contractual wrote:They just launched netflix streaming in Canada. Yay!
The greatest invention since the iPod.
ImageImage