6/10
They say all good boys go to heaven
But bad boys bring heaven to you
DSAB
Headlining Clubs

Re: Rate the last movie you saw

Post by DSAB »

^ Evil Dead original - 10/10.

Shit, you don't even have to leave the house, Miley. D/L it and enjoy.

Remake - 8/10
John Simon Ritchie
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by John Simon Ritchie »

theglammerthebetter wrote:Evil Dead (2013) Never saw the original

A gang of teens in a shitty cabin in the woods we've seen this one 100 times
6/10
Funny since the original was one of the films that started the whole "gang of teens in a shitty cabin in the woods" :lol:
"I was looking for that great jazz note that destroyed the walls of Jericho." - The Clash, The Sound Of Sinners
Fletch
Doing Package Tours in Theaters

Post by Fletch »

There was a Vincent Price marathon of movies on TCM over the weekend. Loved them all, but the two that I enjoyed the most :

Theater of Blood (1973) - 7/10
The Abominable Dr. Phibes (1971) - 9/10
caroline
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by caroline »

John Simon Ritchie wrote:
6/10
Funny since the original was one of the films that started the whole "gang of teens in a shitty cabin in the woods" :lol:
LMFAO! The original is over 30 years old. Shocking that there may have been a few similar films since, huh? :lol:

And to threadjack for a moment: JSR - I went to Shocktoberfest. Tons of fun! Jason's Woods, though? Not so much.
theglammerthebetter
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by theglammerthebetter »

The paperboy(2012) Nicole Kidman, McConaughey, Cusack, Efron

Really good movie, Kidman looked amazing and has one of the hottest sex scenes i've seen in a while even if there was no nudity in it 8.5/10
LouDoo
Platinum Artist

Post by LouDoo »

6/10
Of course you never saw the original. It didn't have New Kids On The Block in it.
HeavyMetalZombie666 wrote:The sounds of that album gives me the brutal shits.
ImageImage
Inessence
Platinum Artist

Post by Inessence »

Fletch wrote:There was a Vincent Price marathon of movies on TCM over the weekend. Loved them all, but the two that I enjoyed the most :

Theater of Blood (1973) - 7/10
I recorded The Abominable Dr. Phibes. Will have to give it a watch soon given your stellar review.

On Halloween I have recorded and so far watched:

The Bride (1985) Sting takes a back seat to a heart-warming sub-plot of his first creation "Victor" and his new dwarf friend. 6.5/10.

Wolf (1994) Jack Nicholson must have been either hard-up for a payday or to bone what's-her-name. 6/10.
IggyPopWillEatItself wrote:
Inessence wrote:Whoa. I bought a cd of a band Iggy hasn't heard of before? :lol:
Yep, there's actually still a few left out there! :lol:
vodevillian
Opening for Slaughter

Post by vodevillian »

We Are What We Are (original mexican version) - 6.5/10
We Are What We Are (american remake) - 9.5/10

This is one of the few instances where an american remake far surpasses the original. So I'm going to give the rundown of the American version more so than the original. The stories are the same in general context, but Jim Mickle (Mulberry St, Stake Land) changes things up so much that it makes a far more interesting film.

The matriarch and provider to a cannibalistic family dies of an illness while out running errands in town (In the original it's the father, while in the remake, it is the mother). The family then has to decide how it is that they will provide for their next human dinner.

While the original set the template for a compelling story, mixing horror with a dark family drama, the American remake mastered it. This isn't Texas Chainsaw Massacre. You become comfortable with the family. They are an average lower middle class middle american family, other than the fact they have one rather fucked up fucked up family tradition.

It is well directed, well acted, and well written, and I dare say that if this film was not at its core a horror film, it would be nominated for several independent film awards. It is rather suspenseful and even though you don't want to feel for the family, you do. They are not killers, but are simply following the rituals and ways of life passed on to them from generations. They're consumption of human flesh is due to religion rather than a desire to kill, and that is the basic dilemma of the story. The relationships are realistic and one of the main plot point of the story is the disease Kuru, which no film based around cannibalism has ever touched based on...at least to my knowledge.

I cannot praise the remake enough, so you should definitely check it out if you are a fan of the slow burn, suspenseful horror film.
DSAB
Headlining Clubs

Post by DSAB »

Dead Alive - 10/10. Dude regressed with those hobbit movies big time.
SanityClause
These Colours Don't Run
Location: Finland, Greenland, Iceland, And anwhere else RPB thinks of.

Post by SanityClause »

vodevillian wrote:We Are What We Are (original mexican version) - 6.5/10

This is one of the few instances where an american remake far surpasses the original. So I'm going to give the rundown of the American version more so than the original. The stories are the same in general context, but Jim Mickle (Mulberry St, Stake Land) changes things up so much that it makes a far more interesting film.

The matriarch and provider to a cannibalistic family dies of an illness while out running errands in town (In the original it's the father, while in the remake, it is the mother). The family then has to decide how it is that they will provide for their next human dinner.

While the original set the template for a compelling story, mixing horror with a dark family drama, the American remake mastered it. This isn't Texas Chainsaw Massacre. You become comfortable with the family. They are an average lower middle class middle american family, other than the fact they have one rather fucked up fucked up family tradition.

It is well directed, well acted, and well written, and I dare say that if this film was not at its core a horror film, it would be nominated for several independent film awards. It is rather suspenseful and even though you don't want to feel for the family, you do. They are not killers, but are simply following the rituals and ways of life passed on to them from generations. They're consumption of human flesh is due to religion rather than a desire to kill, and that is the basic dilemma of the story. The relationships are realistic and one of the main plot point of the story is the disease Kuru, which no film based around cannibalism has ever touched based on...at least to my knowledge.

I cannot praise the remake enough, so you should definitely check it out if you are a fan of the slow burn, suspenseful horror film.
It's fucking boring.
caroline
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by caroline »

Inessence wrote:
Fletch wrote:There was a Vincent Price marathon of movies on TCM over the weekend. Loved them all, but the two that I enjoyed the most :
I recorded The Abominable Dr. Phibes. Will have to give it a watch soon given your stellar review.
I had Phibes on my favorite movies list. I think of it whenever I see one of the Saw movies. Phibes was the original Jigsaw.
EdenRain
Playing at a Friend's Party

Post by EdenRain »

12 Years A Slave 10/10.
DSAB
Headlining Clubs

Post by DSAB »

Savage Streets - 7/10
Kristi Vanian
Spike's Bitch

Post by Kristi Vanian »

Sergeants 3 - 7/10. Another Rat Pack movie.
vodevillian
Opening for Slaughter

Post by vodevillian »

SanityClause wrote:

It's fucking boring.
Hence the "slow burn" that I mentioned. Some people will not have the attention span for good story telling.

Twixt - 3/10 - Jesus christ what was Francis Ford Coppola thinking?
TravisBicklesMohawk
Headlining a Theater Tour

Post by TravisBicklesMohawk »

"Twixt - 3/10 - Jesus christ what was Francis Ford Coppola thinking?"

Thanks for the head's up on that. Movie looked kinda interesting and I actually thought about purchasing it.

Meanwhile, I subjected myself to The Black Dahlia again. 2/10. I actually own this film and watch it at least once a year just to see if it's as bad as I remembered. It is. Horrible casting, horrible acting. Just horrible period.
The Tao of Pooh
Image Image
theglammerthebetter

13 Eerie(2013) Cheap zombie movie 3/10
Kristi Vanian
Spike's Bitch

Post by Kristi Vanian »

Dead Ringer - 7/10.

Bette Davis plays twin sisters, one who's rich and widowed, the other broke and unmarried. Edith kills her sister and assumes her identity.
theglammerthebetter

Django Unchained(2012) Jamie Foxx

That was some good shit with a killer soundtrack 8.5/10
theglammerthebetter

Filthy Gorgeous:The Bob Guccione Story(2013)

Documentary

I was expecting better but still enjoyed it 6.5/10
Woosh
Cap'n Creamy Pee

Post by Woosh »

Vodevillian, thanks for actually taking a second to write about the movie a bit rather than just giving it a rating. This shit sounds fucking grim and disturbing, but I've watched all the Lars Von Trier stuff, so how bad could it be? I will definitely try to check this out.

You know people, if you really like a movie, telling somebody what makes it good, or why you liked it, can go a long way in getting somebody else interested. Otherwise, it's just a "what did you do" thread, and ideas are never actually being shared. Not that I expect Ebert and Roeper when I drop into the "rate the last movie you saw" thread, but when it's literally just a rating, it's really hard to be interested or care.
IF UR ONE OF US THEN
johnk5150

Post by johnk5150 »

I grew up thinking the History of the Word Part 1 was one of the greatest movie ever. It doesn't hold up.
He's like the Liberace of bass & pot.

$tevil
Facedown

Post by Facedown »

Woosh wrote:Vodevillian, thanks for actually taking a second to write about the movie a bit rather than just giving it a rating. This shit sounds fucking grim and disturbing, but I've watched all the Lars Von Trier stuff, so how bad could it be? I will definitely try to check this out.

You know people, if you really like a movie, telling somebody what makes it good, or why you liked it, can go a long way in getting somebody else interested. Otherwise, it's just a "what did you do" thread, and ideas are never actually being shared. Not that I expect Ebert and Roeper when I drop into the "rate the last movie you saw" thread, but when it's literally just a rating, it's really hard to be interested or care.
Name of the thread is RATE the last movie you saw not rate AND give a description of why you liked the last movie you saw. That part is clearly optional.
That being said

Henry: Portrait Of A Serial Killer - 8/10

Frankenweenie - 7/10

:mrgreen:
bonedog wrote:I let Facedown get the better of me
bonedog wrote:My first kid will be born when I am 47.
bonedog wrote:I suck at sludging.
MurrayFiend

Post by MurrayFiend »

Pelotero- 8/10. Quite fascinating for a baseball fan. Can't believe I was rooting for Pittsburgh this past postseason, the evil fuckers.. :mrgreen:

That kid Sano is a beast, too. Think he hit 35 dingers this year in the minors?
HeavyMetalZombie666 wrote:Any chicks on this board like Sean Connery or Roger Moore?
DSAB
Headlining Clubs

Post by DSAB »

The Bob Guccionne doc mentioned above - not bad, but coulda used a ton more beaver, considering that's what he was known for - 6.5/10
theglammerthebetter

Gangster squad(2013)

Cant go wrong with a cast like that Sean Penn, Nick nolte, josh brolin, ryan gosling, giovanni ribisi and emma stone

Good movie could have been great with 30 more minutes 8.5/10
TenBenny
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by TenBenny »

"12 Years a Slave" - 9/10

Very intense in its brutality, but wonderfully made and acted.
Hurls34
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by Hurls34 »

I've seen a few over the past couple of weeks.

Thor 2: The Dark World in 2D: 6/10
Slightly better than the first one, but nowhere near the pacing of the X-Men movies or the first Iron Man movie.

Ender's Game: 6/10
Not bad.

All is Lost: 5.5/10
...ya got that right.

Captain Phillips: 7.5/10
I'm moving this one up a half a point from my earlier posting.

Carrie: 4/10
It is really impossible to watch this and not think about how much better the original movie and actors were. Moore, Moretz and even Judy Geer aren't bad, but the original cast way too big of a shadow here.

Gravity: 7/10
If you're going to see this you need to see it in theaters, better yet see it in IMAX 3D.

Best movie I've seen so far this year: Toss up between Prisoners and Captain Phillips.
Worst movie: The Councilor
Yorgi: Now that buisness is finished, We party. Kolya!!!

Kolya: Bitches, come!!!!
ArielPlath
Headlining Clubs

Post by ArielPlath »

The Counselor - I give it a 9 for the scene with Cameron Diaz having sex with the car while Javier Bardem watches through the windshield. :lol: Good movie, but the beheading scenes were a bit much.
“Out of the ash
I rise with my red hair
and I eat men like air.”

― Sylvia Plath, Ariel