Rate the last movie you saw

A place to discuss whatever you want.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

EatNails
MSX Tour Support Act

Re: Rate the last movie you saw

Post by EatNails »

BodyBagz wrote:
EatNails wrote: American Sniper. 5/10. Great acting, sure. But the story was nothing special, I felt like I'd seen this movie many times prior. A lot of pointless filler scenes. The scene early in the film where he catches his girl cheating - It served absolutely no purpose other than to add 5 minutes to the run time. He wasn't affected by it, it wasn't mentioned again, etc.
You do realize, that scene is what pushed Kyle to enlist right...the thing he did that ultimately led to him being a guy so deadly with a rifle that he earned the nickname "The Legend" before he even retired from service...and why he now has a film of his life. How in the fuck do you even consider that not a plot point of importance? :shock:
All that mattered were the last 10 seconds, him and his brother flopping down in front of the TV. The rest of the scene was filler.
Grendel wrote: Skip work tomorrow and smoke some meth...this thread is THAT epic.
Facedown
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by Facedown »

The Crow - 7/10
bonedog wrote:I let Facedown get the better of me
bonedog wrote:My first kid will be born when I am 47.
bonedog wrote:I suck at sludging.
Son_of_Sam_I_Am
I'm an angry, angry boy!

Post by Son_of_Sam_I_Am »

Trance - 7/10
How come I've never heard of this Danny Boyle flick? Although all the pieces were there and you KNOW a movie that even MENTIONS hypnotism is going to be full of twists and turns, I still didn't piece this all together in time. D.B.'s usual visual style is present, which I love. Sometimes maddeningly suspenseful (either that or I was just impatient for them to GET ON WITH IT ALREADY), it was worth the wait to see a fully-shaved, full frontal Rosario Dawson. HMZ would have hated that part. A few "puh-leeze" moments, too...such as the smell of a trunk corpse NOT permeating a small European car.

Oldboy (original) - 9/10
I'd never seen this. I should have seen it a long time ago. It's fucking great. That's really all I'm gonna say about it, because that's all it is: great.

For the record, I've never seen Escape From New York. Does this make me a bad person?
caroline
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by caroline »

Son_of_Sam_I_Am wrote:For the record, I've never seen Escape From New York. Does this make me a bad person?
Not bad so much as unfortunate. Remedy that! A life without Snake Plissken is barely worth living.

Taking Lives (2014): 3/10
I'm on a losing streak movie-wise and need to stop watching films that count on hot chick leads to make up for shitty everything else. This time it was Angelina Jolie and her lips as a profiling team helping the Canadians catch a serial killer. It was meh in every possible way.
theglammerthebetter

Post by theglammerthebetter »

caroline wrote:
Son_of_Sam_I_Am wrote:For the record, I've never seen Escape From New York. Does this make me a bad person?
Not bad so much as unfortunate. Remedy that! A life without Snake Plissken is barely worth living.

Taking Lives (2014): 3/10
I'm on a losing streak movie-wise and need to stop watching films that count on hot chick leads to make up for shitty everything else. This time it was Angelina Jolie and her lips as a profiling team helping the Canadians catch a serial killer. It was meh in every possible way.
They filmed that movie here and in Montreal i attended a lot of the filming, got a pic with jolie, ethan hawke, gena rowlands even saw Uma thurman who came to town with the kids to visit ethan she was a bitch
They say all good boys go to heaven
But bad boys bring heaven to you
SebastianLeeDanzig
"UR GAY!" signed, Stevie

Post by SebastianLeeDanzig »

Un Coeur en Hiver (1992) - 7/10. Hoity-toity relationship drama between a bunch of violin aficionado fags. Awesome Ravel soundtrack. Emmanuelle Béart is super hot in it, but also incredibly clothed.
Inessence
Platinum Artist

Post by Inessence »

theglammerthebetter wrote:
They filmed that movie here and in Montreal i attended a lot of the filming, got a pic with jolie, ethan hawke, gena rowlands even saw Uma thurman who came to town with the kids to visit ethan she was a bitch
Uma wouldn't pose with you huh?
IggyPopWillEatItself wrote:
Inessence wrote:Whoa. I bought a cd of a band Iggy hasn't heard of before? :lol:
Yep, there's actually still a few left out there! :lol:
theglammerthebetter

Inessence wrote:
theglammerthebetter wrote:
Uma wouldn't pose with you huh?
I saw her and Ethan coming out of a restaurant and walking to their hotel i asked them if i could get a quick pic Ethan said something like yeah man sure and took a pic with me she told me no i never take pictures near my hotel :roll:
Son_of_Sam_I_Am
I'm an angry, angry boy!

Post by Son_of_Sam_I_Am »

Oldboy (remake) - 2/10.
Two days after watching the original, I watched the remake. I'm not a contrarian and I gave this a fair shot, but honestly, it sucks on its own. When you compare it to the original, it's just an utter waste of time. Terrible. 2 stars for excellent Elizabeth Olsen nudity.

Ichi the Killer - 6/10
For some reason, I'm watching Asian cinema lately. Not usually my thing. This movie was confusing as FUCK for the first 30 minutes, because I thought Ichi was the main character, who ALSO happens to kill a lot of people. Once I got THAT shit sorted out, it was every bit as violent and provocative as you've heard. That doesn't make it great, though.
BodyBagz
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by BodyBagz »

Ok, heres some more....

Oscar Fodder:

Inherent Vice - Joaquin Phoenix, Josh Brolin - **1/2 out of *****
Ok, I didnt make it through this one...chalk it up to a very slow-assed pace, or a shitty story, whatever you like...it just didnt do shit for me. Paul Thomas Anderson just seemed to have filmed what the fuck ever came into his head...this is a far cry from There Will Be Blood...more in line really with The Master. I will likely give it another go...

Interstellar - Matthew McConaughey, Anne Hathaway, Michael Caine, John Lithgow - **** out of *****
I really liked this film...although it does grate on my nerves due to the plot. While I love Sci-Fi films in general, I really would rather real science not get too involved...and here they were way involved. Run time was also a bit too long...the film could have wrapped it up a good 15-20 minutes earlier and not lost any of the story IMO. Its a hell of a cast, but in the end, its just a space flick...nothing really that mind bending...

The Imitation Game - Benedict Cumberbatch, Keira Knightley, Matthew Goode - **** out of *****
Overall, a very well done film...great acting, story and pacing. Great telling of the minds behind the British governments efforts to crack the Enigma machine and its code...as well as displaying Alan Turings shortcomings and downfall.

Unbroken - Jack O'Connell, Takamasa Ishihara - ****1/2 out of *****
I was really blown away by this film, the "based on a true story" of the harrowing life at sea and eventual POW treatment of Louis Zamperini. Angelina Jolie directed this film...but you would be hard pressed to know it if it wasnt listed in the credits. If you havent seen it yet, go give it a look...its worth it.

Non Oscar fodder:

Snowpiercer - Chris Evans, Tilda Swinton, John Hurt, Ed Harris - *** out of *****
Imagine the Hunger Games on a never-stopping bullet train that circumnavigates the Earth...thats what this is. Overall, its not that bad, but its just a popcorn, weekend rental flick...nothing more, nothing less.

Taken 3 - Liam Neeson, Famke Janssen, FOrrest Whitaker, Maggie Grace - *** out of *****
Yep..now they went and killed his ex-wife and he is out to kill everyone...and almost does! If ya seen 1 of the earlier 2 films, you know the score here... :mrgreen:
"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master." - George Washington
theglammerthebetter

Carnage(2011) Kate Winslet, Jodie Foster, Christoph Waltz, John C Reilly

The whole movie is those 4 arguing in an appartement , it starts slow but when they get drunk it gets better 6/10
Last edited by theglammerthebetter on Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Machado
"Thread Vaginosis"

Post by Machado »

Hot Tub Time Machine-7/10
Very funny. Enjoyed the 80's scenes and how Winterfest '86 featured
Poison. I was wondering if the actual band would be there but sadly
it was a cover band.
Rafal
Opening Act in Local Bars

Post by Rafal »

St. Vincent

It features Bill Murray. It's good. It has to be good. 7/10
I love cunt but I usually hate the owners.
GutterCreep
Headlining Clubs

Post by GutterCreep »

Interstellar - 3/4 of the movie was enjoyable. The last 1/4....Well, it felt to me like the Nolans went completely in over their heads with the science and relativity crap and found that they needed to end this thing quickly so they wouldn't go over budget.

I would like to mention more but I don't want to spoil it for anyone. I would like to so you all could avoid it, but I won't. 2/4. I know I said I liked 3/4 of the movie but the last 1/4 is so ridiculous I took an extra point off.
Young Malcolm
Playing Second Stage at SludgeFest

Post by Young Malcolm »

Kingsman: The Secret Service (2015)

Good action movie with Colin Firth, Samuel Jackson and Michael Caine.

From the director of 'X-Men: First Class' and 'Kickass'.

Some of the fight scenes are pretty violent for a mainstream movie.

The only difference between being in a rut and being in the grave is the depth of the hole.
pieceofme
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by pieceofme »

Young Malcolm wrote:Kingsman: The Secret Service (2015)

That looked like the worst movie ever from the trailer.

Mostly because I hate scallies.
GrayAntiMatter wrote:EVH

Zappa is pure cult status shit. He is to music what Bruce fucking Campbell is to acting....
Triumph
Headlining Clubs

Post by Triumph »

Not sure that documentaries really apply to this thread but I'll go with "Fat, Sick, And Nearly Dead Pt. 2". 5/10 -- SPOILERS --

I thought the first was top notch but if you saw and liked that one, prepare for a disappointment on this one. You actually feel let down by Joe Cross.
- His attitude is way less upbeat
- He packed about 40-60 pounds back on since the last film
- The trucker he helped cure from part one is back up to his original weight and then some
- He admits that his diet is now 40% raw - 30% animal protein - 30% processed foods

He really should have just let Part 1 rest on it's own accolades.
Facedown

Post by Facedown »

Don't Cry, Mommy - 4/10

Back To The Future - 7/10
bonedog wrote:I let Facedown get the better of me
bonedog wrote:My first kid will be born when I am 47.
bonedog wrote:I suck at sludging.
Young Malcolm
Playing Second Stage at SludgeFest

Post by Young Malcolm »

pieceofme wrote:
Young Malcolm wrote:Kingsman: The Secret Service (2015)

That looked like the worst movie ever from the trailer.

Mostly because I hate scallies.

I got a free ticket for a preview so I can't complain.

Some of the fight sequences were reminiscent of the Guy Richie stuff like 'Snatch'.

It's a good popcorn movie.
The only difference between being in a rut and being in the grave is the depth of the hole.
Hurls34
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by Hurls34 »

Red Army: 4 out of 5 pucks!
Saw this hockey doc at a special screening All-Star Weekend in Columbus.
I enjoyed it.
Yorgi: Now that buisness is finished, We party. Kolya!!!

Kolya: Bitches, come!!!!
theglammerthebetter

Icarus(2010) Dolph Lundgren
Allright B level action movie 6/10

Bad 25 (2012) Pretty decent documentary about the making of the album 7/10

Mardi Gras Spring break (2011) Carmen Elektra
3 college guys going for a wild time, plenty of grade A tits and a few laughs 7/10
Blumpkin King
Headlining Clubs

Post by Blumpkin King »

Fury - 5/10 Started slow, but became watchable. Pretty bad acting in the beginning.

The Equalizer - 2/10. Made no sense. Tried to be stylistic, but was not. Failure of a big film.

Chef - 8.5/10 Really liked it. Great little movie.
theglammerthebetter

The deep blue sea(2011)

Good drama with a great acting performance from Rachel Weisz 7/10
theglammerthebetter

Draft Day(2014) Kevin Costner Jennifer Gardner

First 20 minutes felt like a moneyball rip off but its gets really good 8/10
DSAB
Headlining Clubs

Post by DSAB »

5/10. Any Joe flick is worth the effort and this one was, at least at one time, real hard to come by.
Indy_Rob
Headlining a Theater Tour

Post by Indy_Rob »

A Most Violent Year - 3/10

Great acting but painfully boring. This gets the award for most misleading title ever. This movie was so devoid of violence that the name is almost a joke. I've seen Disney movies with more violence. I went into it expecting a top notch gangster movie a la Goodfellas, but this is nothing like that. Nothing happens in this movie at all. I kept waiting for SOMETHING to happen and it never did. Good acting couldn't save this snorefest.
SebastianLeeDanzig
"UR GAY!" signed, Stevie

Post by SebastianLeeDanzig »

Legion (2010) - 3/10. It starts out like a pretty decent horror film but then it's nothing but angels and bibles and bullshit til the end. Adrianne Palicki is pregnant in it, fatally compromising any potential hotness.
theglammerthebetter

Lizzie Borden took an ax(2014) Christina Ricci
Decent movie but the soundtrack really hurth it 6/10

Beautiful and Twisted(2015) Rob Lowe, Paz Vega
Very good tv movie with all the sex & stripping scenes would have been even better with an R rating 8/10
ratt_gang_member
Headlining Clubs

Post by ratt_gang_member »

Indy_Rob wrote:A Most Violent Year - 3/10

Great acting but painfully boring. This gets the award for most misleading title ever. This movie was so devoid of violence that the name is almost a joke. I've seen Disney movies with more violence. I went into it expecting a top notch gangster movie a la Goodfellas, but this is nothing like that. Nothing happens in this movie at all. I kept waiting for SOMETHING to happen and it never did. Good acting couldn't save this snorefest.
Pretty spot on review. I saw this on Sunday. I'd probably rate it a 6.5, though. Not terrible.
theglammerthebetter

The Grim Sleeper(2014 ) Dreama Walker Macy Gray

Movie is about a serial killer in south central LA 6/10