How often to get a new phone

A place to discuss whatever you want.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

BDG135
Platinum Artist

How often to get a new phone

Post by BDG135 »

How often do you get a new cell phone? I keep mine for years as long as they function properly. Some like to get a new one each year.
Not everybody is on MetalShit.com and Blabberface fuckin’ dot net! Who cares? There’s such a small amount of people that do that. - Blotz
TooOldToCare
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Re: How often to get a new phone

Post by TooOldToCare »

Every 2-3 years, depending on new hardware features. I love tech and use one cellphone as my personal phone, work phone, and landline replacement. It's also the only camera own for both stills and video, so if there are massive upgrades to camera hardware, that is a big deal to me. Lastly, I use my phone more than my laptop for paying bills, email, etc. My last laptop got 10 years of life (pretty good ROI), so I splurge a little more often on my phone.
Sleek
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by Sleek »

I used to get one every couple years...but have had my current one over 4. It just does everything I need it to and still works great.

There are no features where I am like: "Gosh, I wish my phone did this other thing..."

Samsung Galaxy S-10+
ROADHEAD wrote:I've never tasted coffee
HueyRamone wrote:I like Radio Gaga
HueyRamone wrote:QUIT FUCKING WITH MY SETLIST, ASSWIPE!

DemonFilth2001
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by DemonFilth2001 »

Sleek wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 1:26 pm I used to get one every couple years...but have had my current one over 4. It just does everything I need it to and still works great.

There are no features where I am like: "Gosh, I wish my phone did this other thing..."

Samsung Galaxy S-10+
Same. Used to get one every 2. I’ll probably keep this for 4. IPhone 13. Not sure what number the newest is.
KEYBOARD WARRIOR!
GreatWhiteSnake

Post by GreatWhiteSnake »

My current phone is 5 years old. Been thinking about upgrading. It does a few annoying things...
GWS video of the week Seven Seconds of Shred https://youtu.be/6DAqH3eKqEM?si=N2I9eU92_ovsb69d updated 3/9/24
https://soundcloud.com/crunch-104998557
mrsnikkisixx
Headlining Clubs

Post by mrsnikkisixx »

I still have an iPhone 7. Works great, and I see no reason to spend money I don’t really have for a new one unless I have to. It was contracted, and I traded in my 6 for it. So it was free.
Wild Obsession
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by Wild Obsession »

My company provides phones because we need them for work, I went through a phase where I lost or broke one every six months (office manager wanted to strangle me), but the one I have now I have had for 5 or 6 years. I use it for texting and sludge, not really into anything beyond that. If I had to buy my own I would have cheapest most basic option (if they even make a "basic" phone anymore?)
BernieTaupson
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by BernieTaupson »

Whenever the current one drops its bundle - battery has crapped out to only holding 70% charge, or the ports are fucked etc.

Do people still upgrade to the latest iPhone just for the sake of it? Totally pointless.
GoodJudge

Post by GoodJudge »

BernieTaupson wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 11:44 pm Do people still upgrade to the latest iPhone just for the sake of it? Totally pointless.
Er, yes they do, that is what the entire market is based on, including the huge secondary market in used phones. And yes it is totally pointless, maybe unless you're one of the very few people regularly using high-end software on them.
cowpins
Platinum Artist

Post by cowpins »

Whenever I get a free upgrade. Currently iPhone 11.
"bus problems come on man so boring we have our bus its awesome and we r watching judge judy on it right now tour is going great 14 more shows to go see you out there rockin peeps not you garbageman you stay home" - HueyRamone, 7/3/12
Mojo
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by Mojo »

cowpins wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 6:13 am Whenever I get a free upgrade. Currently iPhone 11.
That's me, too. iPhone 14 Pro, as it was free when I switched carriers upon moving States. Otherwise, I'd still have the 11.
Rooster wrote: I hunt with a handgun.
pieceofme wrote: Yeah, Mojo is a lot of peoples favourite!
keyofgee wrote: I am a free thinker
Image Image
Nate S Axel

Post by Nate S Axel »

Mojo wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 8:32 am
cowpins wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 6:13 am Whenever I get a free upgrade. Currently iPhone 11.
That's me, too. iPhone 14 Pro, as it was free when I switched carriers upon moving States. Otherwise, I'd still have the 11.
Same. I upgraded to the iPhone 14 Plus for more storage (downloading music). I had the 11 for a few years and was eligible for a free upgrade a year ago, and finally got around to it.
https://www.last.fm/user/SundownDevil
LAglamrocker wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 10:45 am I can’t believe people actually don’t live in So Cal/ San Diego/Vegas circle ..waste of life
MattleyCrue

Post by MattleyCrue »

I have an iPhone 14 Pro now but I typically will hold on to my phones for 2-3 years.
LAglamrocker wrote:
Walk in Diesel store Melrose with Ashba gear commands respect, not sure you are allowed in with Walmart gear
DemonFilth2001

Post by DemonFilth2001 »

What sort of shit plan are you on? Boost? WTF?
KEYBOARD WARRIOR!
Metal Sludge
The End All Be All

Post by Metal Sludge »

I currently have the iPhone 13. I skipped the 14, and I guess the next one will be out in September.
I usually skip a generation, because in years past, they had new features that were cool and a different look. But in recent years, they all look the same, and the new features are not things I need. I liked having the latest and greatest, but I don't care anymore
I'm not sure I even need a new one. Mine works fine.
MickeyG
Doing 20 Questions with Metal Sludge

Post by MickeyG »

I've never owned a mobile phone.
LSD69
Headlining Clubs

Post by LSD69 »

I'm a man of meager assets, unfortunately I cannot afford that luxury, unlike the rest of you wealthy individuals.
Love_Industry

Post by Love_Industry »

Got a new one this year, replacing the Galaxy S9 I had since 2018. Great phone but recently the battery lost capacity, calls sometimes dropped etc.
Cindy Buzzedimisa

Post by Cindy Buzzedimisa »

I keep mine until they shit the bed or I break it
SchenkerFan
Headlining Clubs

Post by SchenkerFan »

They used to last 5 years. Now it's only 3 at best. Shitty money-grabbing companies don't want these things to last long.
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by Bono Nettencourt »

Sleek wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 1:26 pm I used to get one every couple years...but have had my current one over 4. It just does everything I need it to and still works great.

Samsung Galaxy S-10+
Yeah same... now that I'm paying for five (5) phones, the turnover time needs to lengthen. Will have had my S21 2 years in December but I'm not flipping phones anytime soon. When I do, it'll be for a flip... not a 90s bobo flip, but a wide-screen flip.
ijwthstd wrote: obviously you take this way too seriously and were deeply affected by what transpired in the early 1990's and hopefully you are discussing these issues with a therapist in addition to other fans on music message boards.
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

When my girlfriend upgrades I get her old phone. So every couple of years.
GrayAntiMatter wrote:EVH

Zappa is pure cult status shit. He is to music what Bruce fucking Campbell is to acting....
wolf_blotzer
Doing 10 Questions with Metal Sludge

Post by wolf_blotzer »

I'm still rocking the iPhone6 I got new when it came out - still works perfectly, no dents or cracks in screen, and holds its battery charge pretty ok still.
I'll probably think about grabbing a new one in a few months.
alleyrulez
Platinum Artist

Post by alleyrulez »

I've been upgrading my Pixel Pro every year with a trade-in. prior to that, I would get a new phone every couple of years.

last year I got a $200 credit when I pre-ordered, so I'm hoping the new one comes out before the credit expires, so I can get a really good discount.
whiteowl yesterday

Post by whiteowl yesterday »

every few years.
all i have is a simple cheap flip phone from verizon.
"artist formerly known as midnighttoker"
GreatWhiteSnake

Going in for a new phone this weekend. Had this one 7 years but it's acting weird and takes forever to charge...
GWS video of the week Seven Seconds of Shred https://youtu.be/6DAqH3eKqEM?si=N2I9eU92_ovsb69d updated 3/9/24
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by Bono Nettencourt »

ijwthstd wrote: obviously you take this way too seriously and were deeply affected by what transpired in the early 1990's and hopefully you are discussing these issues with a therapist in addition to other fans on music message boards.
Mister Freeze
Platinum Artist

Post by Mister Freeze »

pieceofme wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 7:24 pm When my girlfriend upgrades I get her old phone. So every couple of years.

Do you scroll through her old texts to see who's got her nudes?
skunklovestiger wrote: A comment like this needs a really useless piece of shit. Well maybe you are used to get fucked by your mother in the basement. It would be better if somebody just kills you useless asshole. Just killl yourself shithead.
GreatWhiteSnake

Got a new Pixel 7 over the weekend. Long overdue. Just had to pay $60 sales tax. It's like getting a new camera and stereo too! Spotify sounds so much better. Also nice not to have to keep restarting while Dashing...
alleyrulez
Platinum Artist

Post by alleyrulez »

GreatWhiteSnake wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 6:57 am Got a new Pixel 7 over the weekend. Long overdue. Just had to pay $60 sales tax. It's like getting a new camera and stereo too! Spotify sounds so much better. Also nice not to have to keep restarting while Dashing...
Pixels are solid phones.