What is the dumbest thing you have seen a coworker do?

A place to discuss whatever you want.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

ParaDime77
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

What is the dumbest thing you have seen a coworker do?

Post by ParaDime77 »

Worked at a auto repair shop and one of the young boys was helping out an experienced tech work on a vehicle that was up on the hoist. The older guy was looking at something underneath the vehicle with his light while the car was running. The dumb kid in the vehicle did not have the vehicle in park, but his foot on the floor brake. Foot slipped off and drove the vehicle off the front of the hoist on to the older techs $10,000 massive tool chest, crushing it. Just a massive fuck up that resulted in a ton of damage and a call to a tow truck to pull the car off the hoist.

What crazy things have you witnessed coworkers do at work?
Everyone Is Someone Else's Bitch
Cindy Buzzedimisa
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Re: What is the dumbest thing you have seen a coworker do?

Post by Cindy Buzzedimisa »

Oh god I could go on about that all day. I'm in the service industry and I've worked at places that would hire ANYONE who applied. Here's a few right off the top of my head:

Customer asks waitress for more tortillas so she goes and gets them and hands them to him. No plate, no napkins, not even a rubber glove. Bare handed.

When the design for $20 bills changed to the current style my coworker mistook it for a $100 and gave the wrong change. The customer said "thanks!" and booked it outta there. I personally would have been embarrassed and offered to pay it back but not her.

Had an off duty coworker report the bar to the OLCC making false claims because he felt the bartender slighted him. The bar got a $3000 fine. And he didn't get fired! Owner's nephew. And was promoted to management a year later.

Boss at same nightclub as above kicked someone out for drinking a brand of beer the bar didn't carry. This happens a lot, cheapskates never think to research first. Dumb part was one of the bouncers who was friends with the guy snuck him back in which didn't go unnoticed. Fired, and that job was his whole social life.

Tower Records: remember how they'd scan the bar code with a light pen? This guy couldn't do it. Just could not do it. He would struggle making mincing movements instead of one smooth one. We'd show him over and over again and it wouldn't register. Meanwhile the line's getting longer and longer and customers were getting pissed. Soooo many cool people wanted to work there and this is the guy my boss picks.
cowpins
Platinum Artist

Post by cowpins »

Had a co-worker in her mid 40's who didn't know that homes and biz addresses were odd one one side of the street and even on the other. We were looking for a business by address and she kept counting down numbers on both sides of the street. She had no idea.
"bus problems come on man so boring we have our bus its awesome and we r watching judge judy on it right now tour is going great 14 more shows to go see you out there rockin peeps not you garbageman you stay home" - HueyRamone, 7/3/12
Gibsonite
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by Gibsonite »

Years ago, a coworker on a building project we were doing was working up on a ladder with a few different tools. He got called away to do something else, decided he needed the ladder for the task and went to move it, forgetting about the stuff he had left up there. Tools fell off, including a hammer which came down and cracked him square in the forehead. He got carted off to the hospital where they put about a dozen stitches in his skull and sent him home, but as soon as he was out the door we just about pissed ourselves laughing because it looked funny as fuck
Love_Industry

Post by Love_Industry »

A consultant got X hours to write some code that was necessary to extract data for regulatory reporting.

The consultant reported the task as completed, but the reporting didn't work.

When someone asked, she said she "used up the hours assigned to her, and marked the task completed".

(It was possible to request more hours if the estimate was too low to complete the programming task...)
Turner Coates
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by Turner Coates »

I saw a guy try to tighten something on a live 440 volt power distro panel.
The explosion made him jump and roll back about 10 feet. His screwdriver was welded to the panel box.

I reckon all songs are folk songs. I ain't never heard no horses singing any.
Hellsinkey

Post by Hellsinkey »

Love_Industry wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 11:44 pm A consultant got X hours to write some code that was necessary to extract data for regulatory reporting.

When someone asked, she said she "used up the hours assigned to her, and marked the task completed".

(It was possible to request more hours if the estimate was too low to complete the programming task...)
We had a meeting with consultant companies and a CEO from one (small) company actually Skype'd from toilet, with the video camera on. WTF. :roll: :lol:
Black Stuff
Doing Package Tours in Theaters

Post by Black Stuff »

Hellsinkey wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 8:51 pm
Love_Industry wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 11:44 pm A consultant got X hours to write some code that was necessary to extract data for regulatory reporting.

We had a meeting with consultant companies and a CEO from one (small) company actually Skype'd from toilet, with the video camera on. WTF. :roll: :lol:

bahahahahahahahaahhhhahahahaahahhaa
The power of Sludge compels you.
TravisBicklesMohawk
Headlining a Theater Tour

Post by TravisBicklesMohawk »

I recently saw an 80 grand a year paralegal rage quit because he couldn't get an extra day of vacation.

By rage quit, I mean he sent an email to everyone in the entire firm basically telling us to fuck off and die.

Not me though; I was actually friends with the guy for a short time.

Idiot. :roll:
The Tao of Pooh
Image Image