Corporate “Culture”

A place to discuss whatever you want.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

TooOldToCare
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Corporate “Culture”

Post by TooOldToCare »

Anyone’s company do all that bullshit culture, we’re a family garbage where no employee gives a fuck about that? They just want respect, boundaries, and a paycheck.

I’ve done all that shit for years. In my last few before retiring, I no longer participate in team building shit. I hate 90% of my coworkers.
MattleyCrue
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Re: Corporate “Culture”

Post by MattleyCrue »

I am always orchestrating team building events with my coworkers. We will do happy hour and it’s fun. It’s better to be with co workers outside of work instead of working with them because I fucking hate some of them.
LAglamrocker wrote:
Walk in Diesel store Melrose with Ashba gear commands respect, not sure you are allowed in with Walmart gear
DonJuanDeMarco
Headlining Clubs

Post by DonJuanDeMarco »

TooOldToCare wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 6:28 pm Anyone’s company do all that bullshit culture, we’re a family garbage where no employee gives a fuck about that? They just want respect, boundaries, and a paycheck.

I’ve done all that shit for years. In my last few before retiring, I no longer participate in team building shit. I hate 90% of my coworkers.
I'm gonna take a wild guess that you just got back from a long vacation, had a clear mind, a little peace on earth...then walked in Monday morning to the same old fake, corporate bullshit. Been there, my friend! Feel free to share more info!
"You want Don Juan DeMarco, the world's greatest lover, to talk to you? What do you know of great love?"
TooOldToCare

Post by TooOldToCare »

DonJuanDeMarco wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 10:25 am
TooOldToCare wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 6:28 pm Anyone’s company do all that bullshit culture, we’re a family garbage where no employee gives a fuck about that? They just want respect, boundaries, and a paycheck.

I'm gonna take a wild guess that you just got back from a long vacation, had a clear mind, a little peace on earth...then walked in Monday morning to the same old fake, corporate bullshit. Been there, my friend! Feel free to share more info!
Good guess, but no. I haven't had a vacation this year. I'm about 4-5 yrs from retirement, feel burned out, and we just finished up a Gallup Culture Survey thing that is so fucking dumb. No one cares. People want to work where they don't despise, but C-Suite thinks it is all about collaboration and team building. No one gives a shit about corporate tropes. I have quit doing any rah-rah shit, happy hours, escape rooms with the department, etc. I've built too many fucking towers of marshmallows and raw spaghetti. Leave me alone to work, lead my remote team, and try to do the best I can for them financially and promo-wise. I didn't love all of that when I was younger, but, like most corporate drones, I went along with it. Now, I do not. Forced team building does not make an effective team. And this time of year, they try to force a lot of holiday camaraderie.
DonJuanDeMarco
Headlining Clubs

Post by DonJuanDeMarco »

Too Old to Care.... you certainly live up to your name!!!

Glancing at the Gallup website, it sounds like a bunch of passive aggressive shit to get employees to act the way you want them to without actually training them directly.

I hear you loud & clear. I get angry at this kinda stuff too. I don't think it's really geared towards us though. It's gotta be more for the 20 somethings that have never even worked a 5 day work week.

Good luck and I hope you make it through the day without killing anyone!
"You want Don Juan DeMarco, the world's greatest lover, to talk to you? What do you know of great love?"
TooOldToCare

Post by TooOldToCare »

DonJuanDeMarco wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 10:46 am Good luck and I hope you make it through the day without killing anyone!
I like to think about it though. :D
HueyRamone
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by HueyRamone »

I work from home now. There isnt any culture, and I'm fine with that.

Apart from my mandatory afternoon Sludging culture, that is.
Don't Damn Me wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 7:21 pm Dummy, are you aware that hydroxy-chloroqin and Ivermectin have since been proven effective?
TooOldToCare

Post by TooOldToCare »

HueyRamone wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 12:18 pm I work from home now. There isnt any culture, and I'm fine with that.

Apart from my mandatory afternoon Sludging culture, that is.
I've been WFH since 2020, and it became permanent. Some portions of the organization are hybrid, but we are remote. In the past couple of years, we've done "culture days" in the office or a WeWorks-type place to "be together," "collaborate," "team build," play games together, fuck all of that. I want to get my shit done for the day and fucking relax. Dealing with that shit then being forced into a happy hour, nope. I quit all of it. If I had begun my retirement savings at 21 rather than 30, I'd probably be enjoying my life more from 8 am - 5 pm.
Mister Freeze
Platinum Artist

Post by Mister Freeze »

It's one of those bullshit corporate terms that doesn't mean shit. Like "thought leader".

Taking care of loyalty on an internal basis no longer exists. If you want a decent raise, you have to leave the company and work for the competition. Then come back a few years later and get a pay bump greater than if you stayed all along and worked your way up like a good solider.
skunklovestiger wrote: A comment like this needs a really useless piece of shit. Well maybe you are used to get fucked by your mother in the basement. It would be better if somebody just kills you useless asshole. Just killl yourself shithead.
keyofgee
Headlining Clubs

Post by keyofgee »

TooOldToCare wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 10:33 am

Good guess, but no. I haven't had a vacation this year. I'm about 4-5 yrs from retirement, feel burned out, and we just finished up a Gallup Culture Survey thing that is so fucking dumb. No one cares. People want to work where they don't despise, but C-Suite thinks it is all about collaboration and team building. No one gives a shit about corporate tropes. I have quit doing any rah-rah shit, happy hours, escape rooms with the department, etc. I've built too many fucking towers of marshmallows and raw spaghetti. Leave me alone to work, lead my remote team, and try to do the best I can for them financially and promo-wise. I didn't love all of that when I was younger, but, like most corporate drones, I went along with it. Now, I do not. Forced team building does not make an effective team. And this time of year, they try to force a lot of holiday camaraderie.
lol marshmallow and spaghetti towers...it must be a universal training model. I have sat thru many of those trainings too.. I have been a supervisor/manager for over 25+ years. I model myself after Sheriff Taylor. He never carried a gun unless he needed to. He talked to the rich and the poor with respect. It has worked out well for me. The ones that needed discipline and firing, (using the gun so to speech) I had to do that too. Never was easy but just like Andy, he/I only pulled the weapons out when needed. He didn't need to walk around showing off his power. I don't either.
GreatWhiteSnake
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by GreatWhiteSnake »

Well ain't you a ray of sunshine Sparky!!
GWS video of the week Seven Seconds of Shred https://youtu.be/6DAqH3eKqEM?si=N2I9eU92_ovsb69d updated 3/9/24
https://soundcloud.com/crunch-104998557
Danzig in the Dark
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by Danzig in the Dark »

keyofgee wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 12:29 pm

lol marshmallow and spaghetti towers...it must be a universal training model. I have sat thru many of those trainings too.. I have been a supervisor/manager for over 25+ years. I model myself after Sheriff Taylor. He never carried a gun unless he needed to. He talked to the rich and the poor with respect. It has worked out well for me. The ones that needed discipline and firing, (using the gun so to speech) I had to do that too. Never was easy but just like Andy, he/I only pulled the weapons out when needed. He didn't need to walk around showing off his power. I don't either.
ImageImage
keyofgee
Headlining Clubs

Post by keyofgee »

Danzig in the Dark wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 4:43 pm
keyofgee wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 12:29 pm

since you dropped Barney off in it. How many times did Andy save Barney and allow him to be the hero ?? Multiple times. That is a sign of a good leader...
Chip Z'Hoy

Post by Chip Z'Hoy »

keyofgee wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 12:29 pmlol marshmallow and spaghetti towers...it must be a universal training model. I have sat thru many of those trainings too.. I have been a supervisor/manager for over 25+ years. I model myself after Sheriff Taylor. He never carried a gun unless he needed to. He talked to the rich and the poor with respect. It has worked out well for me. The ones that needed discipline and firing, (using the gun so to speech) I had to do that too. Never was easy but just like Andy, he/I only pulled the weapons out when needed. He didn't need to walk around showing off his power. I don't either.
:lol:

Didn't you say your co-workers all make fun of you behind your back?

You're not Andy Taylor. You're not even Barney Fife. You're Goober Pyle.

Not even Gomer. GOOBER.

So to speech...
LAglamrocker wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 3:56 pmClub was packed with Metal Edge fans 18-30..no stupid Rush Roll The Bones dipsh*ts
Aerosmith87
Opening Act in Arenas

Post by Aerosmith87 »

Here at __________ we're visionaries & innovators. We're a tight knit family that love to see each other and ourselves grow both personally & professionally. At __________, we work hard and play hard to create a service that truly makes a difference in the world. We are ____________.

I hate all that bullshit. No one believes in it and its annoying. That said, I like the happy hours, like my coworkers, but I don't chalk that up to company culture. I think I just like to drink and hangout with people.
Love_Industry

Post by Love_Industry »

Team building events and happy hours are for people who have no friends. Even if all your friends are from work, you don't need the company to tell you to have a beer and listen to a shitty cover band.
Cindy Buzzedimisa

Post by Cindy Buzzedimisa »

Those forced fun events tend to backfire in my opinion. What happens is the employees gossip about the ones that aren't there and form cliques. if you couldn't go for whatever reason you can feel the climate shift. There's a Tiktok I follow called Professor Corporate who tells you how to say things like "Don't ever call me at home" "You're not in charge so F off" "Stop micromanaging me" etc in corporate speak so it sounds professional. He's freaking hilarious.
Turner Coates

Post by Turner Coates »

I just came from an Xfinity outlet. It was standing room only with a lot of disgruntled customers.
The employees were smarmy and almost TOO polite. They all had "show your teeth" smiles and were high 5ing each other...a lot.
It was like they were at a pep rally. The behavior was obviously dictated.

Xfinity is currently having a major customer service problem and I think part of their "solution" is to have their customer service people act like game show hosts.

I reckon all songs are folk songs. I ain't never heard no horses singing any.
alleyrulez
Platinum Artist

Post by alleyrulez »

been working from home since the pandemic hit, and it's been glorious.

we will likely return to the office in some form or another next year. no one is looking forward to that.

the company I work for isn't horrible. occasional bonuses, decent amount of vacation hours/sick leave. awesome insurance coverage.

they are fairly employee friendly, as much as it is possible given the size of the company, anyway.

my area was hit with a pretty bad storm years ago, and my house was a disaster. the company was able to help many of us via $.

made things a lot easier.
TooOldToCare

Post by TooOldToCare »

I thought this thread fizzled out, but lo and behold, the shit just keeps on coming. And to me, it continues to be ridiculously unbelievable. A year ago, my 83 year old dad, died. No one gave a shit, and throughout all of his ordeal, my company was relentless on my time and availability. Two days ago, my micromanaging boss’s father died. I don’t give one shit given the way I was treated last year. However, this dickless POS was firing off emails and Teams messages all day rather than tending to his family needs.

I literally have 3-4 years of work left in my entire life. I don’t want to start over at my age. But this place has gone from really progressive to this type of culture in 5 years. In a 35 year career, this has gone from the best to worst company I’ve worked for.

I’ve said it before, if I get through the next 3-4 years and don’t have to worry about burnt bridges, I will make the rounds office to office my last week telling all of these assholes exactly what I thought about them as coworkers and managers. I want to leave all of that baggage at the office door, give the big FUCK OFF, and never speak to any of them again.
Charles Bukaki

Post by Charles Bukaki »

My girlfriend works for a non profit and every year they fly the team to Vegas where they're expected to keep up with their normal workload and attend a bunch of meetings all day, and all get together for dinner and team building exercises at night. She lived in Vegas for 20 years and hates it, yet every year she has to go back and stay in a cheap shitty hotel and socialize with people she already sees every day. Management always comes to her to ask about the non touristy places to go, then shoots down every suggestion she makes.

At my last job, we had a boss who loved the whole corporate culture thing. He wasn't on site so we didn't have to deal with him a lot, but he loved saying shit like "I don't have to come to work today, I get to come to work today" and "what we we foster here are lottery jobs. In other words, if you win the lottery on Saturday, you'll still come to work Monday." He'd hold virtual happy hours once a month where we were all expected to do something wacky like wear a funny hat or a colorful scarf and discuss our drink of choice, all off the clock of course.

I don't know when the worm turned to where we're expected to have a work family and be any more loyal than what they're paying us for and you can damn well bet that if I ever win the lottery, my boss and coworkers will never see me again.
TooOldToCare

Post by TooOldToCare »

Charles Bukaki wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 7:07 am I don't know when the worm turned to where we're expected to have a work family and be any more loyal than what they're paying us for and you can damn well bet that if I ever win the lottery, my boss and coworkers will never see me again.
Same. This same manager I refer to above runs HIS weekly team meeting. The first agenda item is something new I learned this week, along with team shoutouts. JFC. I'm 57 years old. I'm deliberately NOT trying to learn new work shit. I'm trying to get through the day without killing someone, then the next, until retirement. That's my North Star. On the shoutout deal, I told my manager not to announce my birthday or work anniversary or anything personal about me in that meeting. It's not my thing, and I do not choose to share my non-work life with coworkers.
Love_Industry

Post by Love_Industry »

TooOldToCare wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 3:05 pm In a 35 year career, this has gone from the best to worst company I’ve worked for.
I know the feeling. The best company I worked for turned into the second worst in less than 5 years. All it took was replacing 5 of the top managers who were there from the start with some clueless senior but recently hired dipshits who had no idea what made the company (consulting, 1000+ employees) successful and tried to change everything.
LeeRatbag
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by LeeRatbag »

I've never got this whole "we work hard, we play hard" thing. Why in the name of sanity would you want to socialise outside work with people you see all day? Outside of the standard Christmas Do sort of affair, I wouldn't go near my co-workers outside work hours.
Fortunately, the sort of work I've done for the last three decades (stores/warehouse/despatch stuff, basically) doesn't generally involve the sort of culture that office work seems to breed. It's a low-bullshit environment.
THE KINGCROWS - Bad Time For The GoodTime Generation
New album coming soon!
www.thekingcrows.com
TooOldToCare

Post by TooOldToCare »

LeeRatbag wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 10:46 am I've never got this whole "we work hard, we play hard" thing. Why in the name of sanity would you want to socialise outside work with people you see all day? Outside of the standard Christmas Do sort of affair, I wouldn't go near my co-workers outside work hours.
Fortunately, the sort of work I've done for the last three decades (stores/warehouse/despatch stuff, basically) doesn't generally involve the sort of culture that office work seems to breed. It's a low-bullshit environment.
I'm convinced that some of these types adopt the "work family" mentality to avoid spending time with their own families. They genuinely look and act energized while working. And I'm not talking about jobs like "rock star." We're talking about software development/other IT roles.