2023 Year in Movies Kinda Sucked

A place to discuss whatever you want.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

TravisBicklesMohawk
Headlining a Theater Tour

2023 Year in Movies Kinda Sucked

Post by TravisBicklesMohawk »

I did enjoy Saltburn.

And there were a couple of damn good horror movies, but overall, a pretty lame year for films.

Can anybody else name something/anything that blew your mind this year?
The Tao of Pooh
Image Image
dmbrocker
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal
Location: Rockin’ with Amber, Bradie, Laurine, Dokken, Ratt, Motley, Aerosmith, Rush, Poison…

Re: 2023 Year in Movies Kinda Sucked

Post by dmbrocker »

Lame year? I'm guessing you didn't hop on the "Barbenheimer" bandwagon?
LAglamrocker wrote: Trixter is awesome but everyone has seen After The Rain video correct? That’s one of first things I’m going thank God for
TravisBicklesMohawk
Headlining a Theater Tour

Post by TravisBicklesMohawk »

I did see Oppenheimer, but no Barbie. 8)
The Tao of Pooh
Image Image
HueyRamone
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by HueyRamone »

I thought Saltburn was dumb! You didnt think it was overly slow and boring, without any coherent message, a la Parasite? And why the fuck is it shot in 4:3?

I believe that was the only new movie I saw this year
Don't Damn Me wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 7:21 pm Dummy, are you aware that hydroxy-chloroqin and Ivermectin have since been proven effective?
BDG135
Platinum Artist

Post by BDG135 »

Killers of the Flower Moon was well made.
Not everybody is on MetalShit.com and Blabberface fuckin’ dot net! Who cares? There’s such a small amount of people that do that. - Blotz
pieceofme
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by pieceofme »

This new Japanese Godzilla Minus One movie is supposed to be really good. Getting excellent reviews. I might actually go to the cinema for the first time in two years!
GrayAntiMatter wrote:EVH

Zappa is pure cult status shit. He is to music what Bruce fucking Campbell is to acting....
VinnieVincentsVag
Playing Second Stage at SludgeFest

Post by VinnieVincentsVag »

Kinda?
Pile after pile of dog shit
jhenders
Blowing Advance from Record Label

Post by jhenders »

The Holdovers is really good!
VincentVanWinger
Showcasing for A&R Reps

Post by VincentVanWinger »

Every time I get in the mood to go see a movie and I look I am blown away at how there is just nothing to see. It’s not even the cost anymore. It’s just shit movies.

Here is how to fix it.

1. Stop with the extreme make overs. I don’t need a female Asian Indiana Jones , gay transgender gremlins or middle eastern ghostbusters. If the original cast is too old/disinterested then leave shit well enough alone.

2. Christmas time needs a Star Wars movie. Even bad Star Wars is better than the best Barbie or Trolls movie. It’s just astonishing how badly SW is being handled. Why not do an animated film that takes place during the OT era? Find some sound a likes for Han and Leia etc. Turn some of those comic book stories into a 2 hour animated movie. Just do something! I want SW back on the big screen. If you had a decent SW movie in theaters this year people would have paid to see that shit 3 times each. Hell you could do a Pixar style movie about Jawas or some shit. If it was done with class and charm and no agendas families would eat that shit up.

3. I realize it’s hard to get people to give new stories and characters a chance but Hollywood needs to get back to creating new hero’s. The old wells are dry.

4. Stop releasing shit to streaming so soon. Why am I gonna pay $50 to take my family to see a movie today that will be free on Peacock in 4 weeks?

5. Re-release classics. If you have nothing new to push bring back old movies on wide release and for more than a day. Too often you find out a movie was released after the fact or it’s only for a night or two or it was only at 50 theaters nationwide. You could do classic double features the entire month of December. I’d pay $10 to sit and watch Star Trek II followed by Return of the Jedi on the big screen. Or Die Hard. Or James Bond.
Do a Back To The Future marathon. On the big screen. Family pricing. Maybe even offer some retro merch. Tell me you wouldn’t want to sit and watch some classics on Christmas Eve while eating popcorn out of a Stormtrooper helmet?

Just no fucking effort at all anymore from HW/movie theaters. It’s like they’ve given up without saying it out loud and are just waiting it out.
Grendel
Headlining Clubs

Post by Grendel »

Talk to Me was a good scary movie
HeavyMetalZombie666 wrote:Learn the concept of keep your mouth shut or you will remained foed.
TooOldToCare
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by TooOldToCare »

I think the subject applies to most TV/movies nowadays. It's a generalization, but it covers a lot of ground. Therefore, I quit going to the theater and tracking TV shows I want to stream. I have a few favorites on Apple TV that I didn't know put out new seasons until they were all released. I kind of like that, so I don't need to watch it week to week. Movies, I'll wait until I can rent or stream for free. The wife put on Barbie the other day. It was more watchable than I'd have guessed, but I'd never have paid to see it at a theater. 5/10.

I want to see Oppenheimer and Wonka, and I'll give John Wick 4 a view since I'm a fan of the movies and graphic novels (though I heard it was the worst of the four).
Wild Obsession
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by Wild Obsession »

The last dozen or so of "new" movies we have watched have been total throwaway drivel. Netflix is a dumping ground of pure garbage and I would love to cancel our subscription. The last 10 years of cinema/television is why I watch the same old movies for the "20th time".