Leftovers

A place to discuss whatever you want.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

VinnieVincentsVag
Playing Second Stage at SludgeFest

Leftovers

Post by VinnieVincentsVag »

Do you eat them?
My wife and I have been trying to freeze stuff lately, as cooking for 2 is difficult without having food left.
Groceries are thru the roof and we hate to waste $$$, especially since so many go without.
Just microwaved some frozen beef stew I made about 6 weeks ago.
Beef and carrots were fine.
Potatoes and parsnips, not so much.
Just threw out a lasagna that I made last Sunday. Maybe 3 pieces eaten out of it. Didn’t freeze that.
Probably $30 in the trash.
What is your stance on leftovers?
Pizza, chili, meatloaf, Chinese…all good.
Some things just don’t get it as leftovers
Are you frugal?
Are you a fan of leftovers?
Do you have any tips or tricks to make them taste better?
Inquiring minds want to know.
Chip Z'Hoy
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Re: Leftovers

Post by Chip Z'Hoy »

My gf is aggressively opposed to any kind of food waste. I'm opposed to any kind of food ROT. If you've ever smelled rotten Chinese food, you know how soul-shattering it is. It's how I imagine a decaying human corpse would smell.

We almost never reheat leftovers, so whenever I'm wrapping up food to put in the fridge, I say "How about we skip the stay of execution and throw it out now?" Nope. Into the fridge it goes, for me to throw out in a week.
LAglamrocker wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 3:56 pmClub was packed with Metal Edge fans 18-30..no stupid Rush Roll The Bones dipsh*ts
DonJuanDeMarco
Headlining Clubs

Post by DonJuanDeMarco »

Leftovers for lunch! Use it all up.

Another simple trick is to add something new. Like if you heat up some leftover lasagna, add some fresh sautéed vegetables on the side.

Leftover Chicken…
Make your own stock/soup.
Fried rice or stir fry.

I don’t like to throw away food. If it’s that bad, why were you eating it in the first place?
"You want Don Juan DeMarco, the world's greatest lover, to talk to you? What do you know of great love?"
MattleyCrue
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by MattleyCrue »

I don’t eat left overs.

Only thing I will eat day after is pizza.

I don’t bring lunch from home I order from somewhere everyday. If I don’t finish whatever I order it goes right in the trash
LAglamrocker wrote:
Walk in Diesel store Melrose with Ashba gear commands respect, not sure you are allowed in with Walmart gear
skinni
Having Slaughter Open for You

Post by skinni »

I understand the value of reducing food waste, but prioritize freshness in meals, and therefore would never eat leftovers. Any remaining food is discarded.

This being said, best plan of action is to plan meal portions to avoid leftover food-waste.
Nate S Axel
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by Nate S Axel »

MattleyCrue wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 6:34 pm I don’t eat left overs.

Only thing I will eat day after is pizza.
Same, and that's rare when I do that. Living in Downtown Las Vegas with little desire to cook, I eat out probably 95% of the time, and I can't remember the last time I didn't finish my meal or have to bring it home; I know how hungry I am, so usually I devour it.

I just shop for a couple days at a time since I live so close to multiple grocery stores. The ONLY thing in my freezer is frozen pizza, and the only thing in my fridge is beer and energy drinks. :lol:
https://www.last.fm/user/SundownDevil
LAglamrocker wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 10:45 am I can’t believe people actually don’t live in So Cal/ San Diego/Vegas circle ..waste of life
GreatWhiteSnake
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by GreatWhiteSnake »

I eat leftovers, the wife not so much. I'll cook a proper meal about 3 times a week, casual a couple nights, enchiladas/tamales on Wednesday and takeout on Fridays...
GWS video of the week Seven Seconds of Shred https://youtu.be/6DAqH3eKqEM?si=N2I9eU92_ovsb69d updated 3/9/24
https://soundcloud.com/crunch-104998557
pieceofme
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by pieceofme »

Pretty much everyday. Hate waste.
GrayAntiMatter wrote:EVH

Zappa is pure cult status shit. He is to music what Bruce fucking Campbell is to acting....
Mojo

Post by Mojo »

I don't eat leftovers because I don't have them. I generally eat the whole of whatever I've cooked the first time.
Rooster wrote: I hunt with a handgun.
pieceofme wrote: Yeah, Mojo is a lot of peoples favourite!
keyofgee wrote: I am a free thinker
Image Image
LAglamrocker

Post by LAglamrocker »

I got box of Hostess Ho Hos in fridge chilling
Think I got 6 left- probably going have a few after my 10pm walk on Manhattan Beach

Chilled Ho Hos with Raw at midnight
Drew vs Seth..No Mania main event with CM Bitch thank God
Jani Lane and Bret Michaels should form a band called "Nelson II"
cowpins
Platinum Artist

Post by cowpins »

No leftovers, as I cook portions for how many peeps are eating. Pretty simple concept, actually.
"bus problems come on man so boring we have our bus its awesome and we r watching judge judy on it right now tour is going great 14 more shows to go see you out there rockin peeps not you garbageman you stay home" - HueyRamone, 7/3/12
GreatWhiteSnake
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by GreatWhiteSnake »

cowpins wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 4:05 am No leftovers, as I cook portions for how many peeps are eating. Pretty simple concept, actually.
Oh man, now we're doing leftover shaming?
GWS video of the week Seven Seconds of Shred https://youtu.be/6DAqH3eKqEM?si=N2I9eU92_ovsb69d updated 3/9/24
https://soundcloud.com/crunch-104998557
HueyRamone

Post by HueyRamone »

I love leftovers!

If there's something already ready in the fridge, that beats out cooking something new from scratch. I dont give a fuck If I just had it. Cooking is boring. Toss it in the microwave and get on with it!
Don't Damn Me wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 7:21 pm Dummy, are you aware that hydroxy-chloroqin and Ivermectin have since been proven effective?
ijwthstd
Platinum Artist

Post by ijwthstd »

Probably the thing that will shock future generations the most about us is that we threw most of our food away and flushed our water down the toilet.
"I went and saw Chickenfoot twice. I've suffered for being Sammy's friend" - Bob Forrest
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

cowpins wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 4:05 am No leftovers, as I cook portions for how many peeps are eating. Pretty simple concept, actually.
Even better concept is the following:
HueyRamone wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 8:03 am I love leftovers!

If there's something already ready in the fridge, that beats out cooking something new from scratch. I dont give a fuck If I just had it. Cooking is boring. Toss it in the microwave and get on with it!
You save time cooking enough for leftovers. And probably money.
GrayAntiMatter wrote:EVH

Zappa is pure cult status shit. He is to music what Bruce fucking Campbell is to acting....
VinnieVincentsVag
Playing Second Stage at SludgeFest

Post by VinnieVincentsVag »

How do you cook a lasagna for 2 people and not have leftovers?
Chip Z'Hoy

Post by Chip Z'Hoy »

LAglamrocker wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 3:56 pmClub was packed with Metal Edge fans 18-30..no stupid Rush Roll The Bones dipsh*ts
cowpins
Platinum Artist

Post by cowpins »

VinnieVincentsVag wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:26 am
Portion sizes. Smaller everything, right down to the baking dish. You CAN break the lasagna in half to fit smaller dishes. Quarter what you're doing now and #reportback
"bus problems come on man so boring we have our bus its awesome and we r watching judge judy on it right now tour is going great 14 more shows to go see you out there rockin peeps not you garbageman you stay home" - HueyRamone, 7/3/12
mrsnikkisixx
Headlining Clubs

Post by mrsnikkisixx »

I don’t mind leftovers, but I do try to make only enough for who is eating to avoid it. When I do treat myself to Chinese or anything like that, I make sure to finish it within a couple of days.
HoldenSSV
Playing at a Friend's Party

Post by HoldenSSV »

There's nothing wrong with leftovers, but I usually try to finish them in a few days.

Some of the places I eat have been increasing their portions (!), and there's no way I could finish the meal in one sitting without being completely stuffed and miserable. I get two meals for the price of one. I can sometimes get three for one at one of the nearby Chinese places.
"Copying off of one person is called plagiarism.
Copying off of ten people is called research."
keyofgee
Headlining Clubs

Post by keyofgee »

left overs get one day tops in the frig. after that, its tossed and yes, sadly it's a waste of food and money. not bragging. It's wasteful. I should do better.
EzyRider
Doing Package Tours in Theaters

Post by EzyRider »

Just getting through Easter leftovers now. Had a big crew over and rotisseried up two chickens plus a salmon in the smoker, also cornbread stuffing, mac and cheese, baked yams.

Had leftover salmon for lunch Tue and dinner Wed with sides, and Chicken for lunch Mon and dinner Tue (made killer chicken/green chili/cheese enchiladas)

It's win-win-win, healthier eating, way cheaper, easier/less effort.

One of my big tricks is using leftovers for breakfast. You can stretch just a small amount of almost anything into a delicious omelette, and leftover potatoes make a killer frittata or hash browns.
It's good to be bad
It's the best time you'll ever have
What the hell is this ultra sad
Pray for your cool and work on that ass!
Wild Obsession
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by Wild Obsession »

I usually bring any dinner leftovers to work, for lunch the following day.
Metal Sludge
The End All Be All

Post by Metal Sludge »

VinnieVincentsVag wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 5:42 pm Do you eat them?
My wife and I have been trying to freeze stuff lately, as cooking for 2 is difficult without having food left.
Groceries are thru the roof and we hate to waste $$$, especially since so many go without.
Just microwaved some frozen beef stew I made about 6 weeks ago.
Beef and carrots were fine.
Potatoes and parsnips, not so much.
Just threw out a lasagna that I made last Sunday. Maybe 3 pieces eaten out of it. Didn’t freeze that.
Probably $30 in the trash.
What is your stance on leftovers?
Pizza, chili, meatloaf, Chinese…all good.
Some things just don’t get it as leftovers
Are you frugal?
Are you a fan of leftovers?
Do you have any tips or tricks to make them taste better?
Inquiring minds want to know.
Get an air fryer and stop microwaving anything.
Wrap leftovers in heavy duty foil and air fry it at 400 for 10 minutes.
Most things come out fantastic.
For leftover pizza, stick it the the air fryer for 5 minutes and it reconstitutes itself.
As for the beef stew, just defrost it and heat it on the stove.
Don't microwave anything!
I use my microwave to heat syrup if I'm making something that requires it. And to melt butter, if I'm making something that requires it.
Stop using the microwave and all your leftovers will be just fine.
dmbrocker
Location: Rockin’ with Amber, Bradie, Laurine, Dokken, Ratt, Motley, Aerosmith, Rush, Poison…

Post by dmbrocker »

I usually finish my leftovers, though not always right away. If I'm hungry for a sandwich or something else I'll go with that for at least one meal before getting back around to the leftovers.
LAglamrocker wrote: Trixter is awesome but everyone has seen After The Rain video correct? That’s one of first things I’m going thank God for
Metal Sludge
The End All Be All

Post by Metal Sludge »

cowpins wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 6:00 pm
VinnieVincentsVag wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:26 am
Portion sizes. Smaller everything, right down to the baking dish. You CAN break the lasagna in half to fit smaller dishes. Quarter what you're doing now and #reportback
This is the answer!
Get this dish to make a smaller lasagne.
https://www.amazon.com/Pyrex-Plastic-Ca ... 172&sr=8-1

Eat what you want, and cut the rest into meal sized pieces and freeze it. Wrapped in heavy duty foil.
Or better yet, seal it in foodsaver bags. The foodsaver, sealing thing is awesome. Get one of those. Costco has them for $120.00. Or less when they're on sale.