Bodybuilders

A place to discuss whatever you want.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

LSD69
Headlining Clubs

Bodybuilders

Post by LSD69 »

What do you think of Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson's leg workout :?:

For over a decade I used to do 5 sets of twenty to thirty reps on a standard leg press and was exhausted afterwards.

He does less and doesn't even break a sweat. :?

At the end he is holding 2 30 pound dumbbells for the walking lunges.

Isn't that kind of light for someone in his physical condition :?:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMdRzAEo6NE
Rocker4Real
Recording Your Demo

Re: Bodybuilders

Post by Rocker4Real »

Aristocrat?
Mojo
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by Mojo »

I'm more annoyed by his range of motion on everything. Granted, I only watched up through the belt squats, but those and his leg presses are all quarter reps.

The dude's been blasting and cruising on steroids for the better part of thirty years. He HAS to rely on lighter weight and higher reps because his joints straight up wouldn't be able to sustain adding weight after all of this time. And it's not like he's really trying to add a ton of mass at his age. It takes way less to maintain than it does to build. This fluff and pump shit is just maintenance.
Rooster wrote: I hunt with a handgun.
pieceofme wrote: Yeah, Mojo is a lot of peoples favourite!
keyofgee wrote: I am a free thinker
Image Image
HoldenSSV
Playing at a Friend's Party

Post by HoldenSSV »

So he doesn't do anything for his calves? No wonder they look average.
"Copying off of one person is called plagiarism.
Copying off of ten people is called research."
TooOldToCare
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by TooOldToCare »

Used to really like him for what seemed like positivity. Then he became the Paul Stanley of whatever he is (actor, wrestler, celebrity figure) almost whining about shit all the time.

Of course he's geared to the hilt despite anything said to the contrary.
mullet_head
Headlining Clubs

Post by mullet_head »

Mojo wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 6:25 am I'm more annoyed by his range of motion on everything. Granted, I only watched up through the belt squats, but those and his leg presses are all quarter reps.
These bodybuilder types usually do just that, to ''focus on the muscle''. You see them doing chest exercises like bench press and it's usually just bottom range, before the triceps take over.
Same with squats, which they'll usually do for quad growth, so no lowering ass-to-grass (or even breaking parallel for that matter). Just constant tension on the muscle. Sometimes they won't even lockout until the last rep.

It's not the most athletic way to go about lifting weights but then again all around athleticism isn't usually what these guys aim for.

Check this out. It looks ridiculous but what you gonna do?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELj_vKvvi5U
LAglamrocker

Post by LAglamrocker »

Way more interesting to watch Carrot Top workout
Carrot updates on IG way more fun

He jumps off his boat in Florida almost naked quite a lot- good life advice from gym- fun drinking at local Vegas spots- jokes from his shows nightly- loves sing mostly classic 90s country to his fans
Jani Lane and Bret Michaels should form a band called "Nelson II"
Mojo

Post by Mojo »

mullet_head wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 3:01 pm It's not the most athletic way to go about lifting weights but then again all around athleticism isn't usually what these guys aim for.
Yeah, it makes sense it that context.
Rooster wrote: I hunt with a handgun.
pieceofme wrote: Yeah, Mojo is a lot of peoples favourite!
keyofgee wrote: I am a free thinker
Image Image
aznsquirt
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by aznsquirt »

LSD69 wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 2:56 pm What do you think of Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson's leg workout :?:

For over a decade I used to do 5 sets of twenty to thirty reps on a standard leg press and was exhausted afterwards.

His workout looks fine to me. I don't know why you're concerned with "breaking a sweat" on leg press.

5 sets of 20-30 reps on leg press is kind of asinine for the most part.

He crushes himself at the end with those walking lunges. 30lbs isn't that light when it's at the end of a whole leg workout AND you're using very controlled form like him.
aznsquirt

Post by aznsquirt »

As far as the range of motion thing, honestly the belt squat is the only thing that he's leaving any significant amount of ROM on the table, and who knows why.

If I had to guess, it's probably something simple like going lower bothers his knees, or he wants to keep it as a quad-focused movement.

Also, "always use full range of motion!" is one of those things that gets thrown around and sounds good on paper but often does more harm than good. Most newer lifters who hear and buy into the concept end up putting everything on their joints/tendons/ligaments and get nothing but injuries past the beginner phase.

And like Mojo said, at The Rock's level, there's just a limit to how hard he can really go from a muscle building perspective. It just becomes more about maintaining/getting blood into the muscles/staying healthy and athletic, etc.
LSD69
Headlining Clubs

Post by LSD69 »

aznsquirt wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 11:38 am
LSD69 wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 2:56 pm What do you think of Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson's leg workout :?:

5 sets of 20-30 reps on leg press is kind of asinine for the most part.
Just to clarify, I did 30 reps for 4 months than went down to 20.

I made huge gains.

I'm not an expert by any means, but went from skinny legs to a legs that got a lot of attention from females. :D
aznsquirt

Post by aznsquirt »

LSD69 wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:55 am Just to clarify, I did 30 reps for 4 months than went down to 20.

I made huge gains.

I'm not an expert by any means, but went from skinny legs to a legs that got a lot of attention from females. :D
Higher reps on legs are/can be super effective, if not brutal af (as you know).

It was more the 5 sets portion that is an issue. I should have clarified since I called it "asinine".

If someone says they did 5 sets of 20-30 on leg press, for example, it's almost always true that either A) they were training so far from failure that some (or all) of the sets were minimally effective or B) if they were actually training hard, they got everything they needed from the first couple of sets, and anything after that was unnecessary torture and stress on the body to the point of being counterproductive.

It's also possible that what you call "5 sets" was really 2-3 warmup sets and 2-3 "work" sets, in which case it was probably just fine.

Either way, obviously it still worked, as anything "works" to a point.

Anyway, comparing any of that to what The Rock is doing doesn't mean much, because as is often the case with a guy like that, what they're doing now isn't necessarily what got him there, but we don't really know.

He's clearly training to prioritize overall athleticism and joint health at this point, and if he can maintain and possibly eek out some more muscle here and there in the meantime, great (and yes, it's true that when you're on anabolics you can get more out of less). For him that means getting some blood in the muscles, stopping short of the proximity to failure that starts to beat you up, staying in a ROM that doesn't hurt.