Sunday Sauce

A place to discuss whatever you want.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

MattleyCrue
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Sunday Sauce

Post by MattleyCrue »

Who else will be eating good today?

I will go to my parents in a little bit for dinner tonight. Can’t wait to have sauce and chicken cutlets later.

I have a nice bottle of vino lined up and I’ll head over there and watch the rest of golf and women’s NCAA championship. A fun day of gambling and drinking the vino.

How about you?
LAglamrocker wrote:
Walk in Diesel store Melrose with Ashba gear commands respect, not sure you are allowed in with Walmart gear
Metal Sludge
The End All Be All

Re: Sunday Sauce

Post by Metal Sludge »

I always make Sunday dinner.
Generally the kids (one, two, or all three) are here but tonight, it was just me and my boyfriend.
We got some fresh mahi mahi from the farmers market this morning.
I grilled it with some garlic, pepper, lemon, smoked paprika, and cayenne pepper, and air fried some asparagus.
It was delicious!
Last Sunday for Easter, I made osso buco with polenta and roasted rainbow carrots.
Not your usual Easter dinner, but I got some beautiful veal shanks at the Italian deli, and have never made osso buco before.
It was incredibly good and I can't wait to make it again.
Rocker4Real
Opening Act in Local Bars

Post by Rocker4Real »

MattleyCrue wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 10:09 am Who else will be eating good today?

I will go to my parents in a little bit for dinner tonight. Can’t wait to have sauce and chicken cutlets later.

I have a nice bottle of vino lined up and I’ll head over there and watch the rest of golf and women’s NCAA championship. A fun day of gambling and drinking the vino.

How about you?
What brand of wine?
VinnieVincentsVag
Playing Second Stage at SludgeFest

Post by VinnieVincentsVag »

Thought it was called “gravy”?
MattleyCrue
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by MattleyCrue »

Rocker4Real wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 5:15 am
MattleyCrue wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 10:09 am Who else will be eating good today?

How about you?
What brand of wine?
This is what I drank

https://ship.centuryliquorandwines.com/ ... lpolicella
LAglamrocker wrote:
Walk in Diesel store Melrose with Ashba gear commands respect, not sure you are allowed in with Walmart gear
Kid-Wicked
Opening for Helix

Post by Kid-Wicked »

VinnieVincentsVag wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 7:54 am Thought it was called “gravy”?
this has come up before. it's both. stoner didn't believe me.
Sunday gravy may be the most indelible image of Italian-American culture. Sunday gravy – also called Sunday sauce — is a meat and tomato sauce served over pasta and a staple of home cooking in American cities with a large Italian immigrant population. A vat of sauce overflowing with sausage, meatballs, ribs, or whatever else your family told you was essential to making it, it's not a subtle dish. Instead, it's a weekly celebration, an embrace of bounty, and a tribute to the joy of food in one pot. Sunday gravy is also a classic family dish, not only because it's usually eaten as a big family meal but because distinct recipes are passed down through generations.

Read More: https://www.tastingtable.com/1201834/th ... day-gravy/
Metal Sludge
The End All Be All

Post by Metal Sludge »

Kid-Wicked wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 7:54 pm
VinnieVincentsVag wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 7:54 am Thought it was called “gravy”?
this has come up before. it's both. stoner didn't believe me.
Sunday gravy may be the most indelible image of Italian-American culture. Sunday gravy – also called Sunday sauce — is a meat and tomato sauce served over pasta and a staple of home cooking in American cities with a large Italian immigrant population. A vat of sauce overflowing with sausage, meatballs, ribs, or whatever else your family told you was essential to making it, it's not a subtle dish. Instead, it's a weekly celebration, an embrace of bounty, and a tribute to the joy of food in one pot. Sunday gravy is also a classic family dish, not only because it's usually eaten as a big family meal but because distinct recipes are passed down through generations.

Read More: https://www.tastingtable.com/1201834/th ... day-gravy/
All of that is true. And was certainly the case growing up Italian!
It's a little different now, we eat a little lighter than the 70's.
Call it whatever, Sunday dinner is always fabulous. And it's not always gravy/sauce. Sometimes it's pot roast, sometimes it's roasted chicken, sometimes it's corned beef.
What's important, is that family is together for Sunday dinner. Not everyone can make it every week, but one of the three usually makes it home.
Aerosmith87
Opening Act in Arenas

Post by Aerosmith87 »

I like making this sometimes, but usually just wing it and it's always good:

https://www.raos.com/blogs/recipes/sunday-gravy

Got my tomatoes going from seed now. Love making sauce start to finish.
Kid-Wicked
Opening for Helix

Post by Kid-Wicked »

Aerosmith87 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 4:45 pm I like making this sometimes, but usually just wing it and it's always good:

i watched a youtube vid where a group of chefs rated commercial sauces and rated rao's the best so i picked some up at costco. i found it to be salty. the one that can in second, muzzi, is REALLY good.
when making your own sauce make sure your tomatoes are san marzano and make sure they're ripe.
i used to make sauce with fresh from mom's garden and it was never as good as when i used canned. canned tomatoes are always ripe. a chef told me to just use high quality canned.
Last edited by Kid-Wicked on Sun Apr 14, 2024 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
DonJuanDeMarco
Headlining Clubs

Post by DonJuanDeMarco »

Kid-Wicked wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 7:21 pm
Aerosmith87 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 4:45 pm I like making this sometimes, but usually just wing it and it's always good:

i watched a youtube vid where a group of chefs rated commercial sauces and rated rao's the best so i picked some up at costco. i found it to be salty.
Oh My God, that's a LOT of meat in that Rao's recipe!

Their jar sauce is actually really good. Possibly the best jarred sauce out there but do NOT use it in a recipe like this. It will be way too thick and way too salty. Just use canned tomatoes.

I follow Anthony Bourdain's recipe. No neck bones though! And make sure to shred the oxtail after cooking, before serving. I've made it with oxtail, short rib and even just regular chuck roast. Anything that shreds!

https://www.thrillist.com/recipe/nation ... a-cookbook
"You want Don Juan DeMarco, the world's greatest lover, to talk to you? What do you know of great love?"
Aerosmith87
Opening Act in Arenas

Post by Aerosmith87 »

Yeah there's a shit ton of meats in that sauce, which is why I only do it once or twice a year. It's pretty heavy, but thought it was well done.