Something I thought about today...

Post your thoughts and comments on terrorism, war, and political shit like that.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

VinnieKulick
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Something I thought about today...

Post by VinnieKulick »

Pro Choice people, generally tend to be Democrats, and if they are not "democrat" they usually will self identify as "LIBERAL".

Most Democrats, and most Liberals, are FOR the health care reform.

Why is the "government should not tell me what to do with my body" mentality not applicable to the mandating of health insurance?
ImageImage
Ugmo
Doing Package Tours in Theaters

Re: Something I thought about today...

Post by Ugmo »

I have no opinion whatsover on abortion. But I'm having a hard time making the connection on mandated health insurance vis-a-vis abortion. Maybe it's because my blood sugar is running low, but I fail to see the connection.
VinnieKulick

Post by VinnieKulick »

The point is, should the government be able to tell you what to do with your body? Be it having or not having an abortion, OR keeping health insurance, it should be the same.
ImageImage
Ugmo

Post by Ugmo »

Right, but an insurance mandate isn't about the government telling you what to do with your body, it's about the government telling you what to do with your money. And since liberals are generally in favor of making a higher investment (through taxes) for the common good, the insurance mandate is pretty consistent with that.
VinnieKulick

Post by VinnieKulick »

The argument for the mandate is that it will make you take care of yourself, because you have insurance. It's telling you that you have to be healthy, to save money. It's dictating how you control your own health and health care.
ImageImage
Ugmo

Post by Ugmo »

VinnieKulick wrote:The argument for the mandate is that it will make you take care of yourself, because you have insurance.
That's not the argument for the mandate. The argument for the mandate is that if you have health insurance, you don't end up gaming the system when you eventually get sick and have to go the emergency room.
VinnieKulick

Post by VinnieKulick »

If it's all about gaming the system, why mandate health insurance when flexible spending accounts are available?
ImageImage
MasterOfMeatPuppets
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by MasterOfMeatPuppets »

VinnieKulick wrote:If it's all about gaming the system, why mandate health insurance when flexible spending accounts are available?
Because the dumbasses who are too cheap to cough up for insurance got better things to do with their money than stick it in the bank when they're not even sick yet. Maybe we should have a national registry for people who opt out of health insurance giving medical providers the right to throw their asses on the street of they can't pay for treatment. What's your thinking on that?
ImageImage
VinnieKulick

Post by VinnieKulick »

MasterOfMeatPuppets wrote:
VinnieKulick wrote:If it's all about gaming the system, why mandate health insurance when flexible spending accounts are available?
Because the dumbasses who are too cheap to cough up for insurance got better things to do with their money than stick it in the bank when they're not even sick yet. Maybe we should have a national registry for people who opt out of health insurance giving medical providers the right to throw their asses on the street of they can't pay for treatment. What's your thinking on that?
That sounds somewhat reasonable. You should be able to opt out of FSA/HSAs or the Insurance mandate, if you agree to become responsible for all of your health care. Enforce it the same way you get sued for not paying your mortgage or your car payment.
Auction their stuff off to pay for their care.
ImageImage
MasterOfMeatPuppets
MSX Tour Support Act

That's they way it is now. Under the Emergency Medical Treatment and Active Labor Act, they have to provide the service then sue them to try to get money for it. Why not allow allow them the same option other service industries have? If you don't have money, a mechanic doesn't have to fix your car. If someone consciously decides to take the chance he will never get sick or hurt, he should suffer the consequences.
ImageImage
VinnieKulick

Post by VinnieKulick »

MasterOfMeatPuppets wrote:That's they way it is now. Under the Emergency Medical Treatment and Active Labor Act, they have to provide the service then sue them to try to get money for it. Why not allow allow them the same option other service industries have? If you don't have money, a mechanic doesn't have to fix your car. If someone consciously decides to take the chance he will never get sick or hurt, he should suffer the consequences.
That's right. BUT, with the elimination of the no preexisting conditions, all a person would have to do is buy a policy the day he finds he has cancer, or whatever ailment.
ImageImage
MasterOfMeatPuppets
MSX Tour Support Act

VinnieKulick wrote:
MasterOfMeatPuppets wrote:That's they way it is now. Under the Emergency Medical Treatment and Active Labor Act, they have to provide the service then sue them to try to get money for it. Why not allow allow them the same option other service industries have? If you don't have money, a mechanic doesn't have to fix your car. If someone consciously decides to take the chance he will never get sick or hurt, he should suffer the consequences.
That's right. BUT, with the elimination of the no preexisting conditions, all a person would have to do is buy a policy the day he finds he has cancer, or whatever ailment.
How will he know? People who don't think they need insurance don't think they need doctors, either. Anyway, he opted out of the system. He doesn't have any of the obligations nor does he get any of the benefits.
ImageImage
tin00can
Headlining Clubs

Post by tin00can »

YourMomma wrote:
VinnieKulick wrote: with the elimination of the no preexisting conditions, all a person would have to do is buy a policy the day he finds he has cancer, or whatever ailment.
Bingo. This should work out well.

If it's any consolation, the gray cloud that seems to be hovering over your head is providing me a lot of amusement.
MasterOfMeatPuppets
MSX Tour Support Act

I don't think he noticed this was just a hypothetical discussion between me and Vinnie. He's a little weak on reading comprehension, you know.
ImageImage
Skate4RnR
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by Skate4RnR »

That's nothing compared to the mandatory euthanasia on the sick that's clearly in the bill.
ImageImageImage
tin00can
Headlining Clubs

Post by tin00can »

YourMomma wrote:
de·flec·tion   /dɪˈflɛkʃən/ Show Spelled[dih-flek-shuhn] Show IPA
–noun
1.the act or state of deflecting

Help me out here: does this mean you disapprove of my post, or that you don't approve of it? I want to be sure where I stand.
NickasInSaltLick
The Fat Man of Steel

Post by NickasInSaltLick »

YourMomma wrote:Respond to this and I'll let you know:
VinnieKulick wrote: with the elimination of the no preexisting conditions, all a person would have to do is buy a policy the day he finds he has cancer, or whatever ailment.
If a guy gets to the point where he can afford to be far enough along in the process to be referred to an oncologist to take the tests necessary to determine whether or not he's got cancer, chances are he has insurance already.

Sludgeaholic of the Month - May 2004