Congress Repeals "Don't Ask/Don't Tell"

Post your thoughts and comments on terrorism, war, and political shit like that.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

WhiteHouseSubsAC
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Congress Repeals "Don't Ask/Don't Tell"

Post by WhiteHouseSubsAC »

Don't Ask/Don't Tell is one step closer to being history. What does everyone think of this? Any of you that served have a problem with the sexual orientation of fellow soldiers?
HeavyMetalZombie666 wrote:Of course your asshole is going to be sore when you volunteer for an asspounding and not set any boundaries at all.
MA551V3_700L
Picking a Band Name

Re: Congress Repeals "Don't Ask/Don't Tell"

Post by MA551V3_700L »

I don't think they'll repeal that act for awhile. There's still too many d]factors that still have to be evaluated.
Thrash Gordon
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by Thrash Gordon »

I've talked to a bunch of fellow vets about this and the consensus seems to be that any one that acts or admits openly to being gay is going to end up in the infirmary at some point during training, be it boot, infantry school, or beyond. One dude accuses him of doing a pecker check in the shower or something, and it's over.

And for those of you who are thinking, Oh grow the fuck up, or times have changed or whatever, and haven't ever been in the military, you don't understand the culture. This Is what will happen.
SmokeyRamone

Post by SmokeyRamone »

the hypocrisy of first banning gays in the military, then Clinton trying to compromise with don't ask/don't tell is laughable, it's no wonder people have a hard time trusting the government or taking them seriously when they pass laws making it illegal for any employer in the US to discriminate against or refuse to hire someone who's gay, but then turn around and basically say "but we're the government, we can do whatever the fuck we want." This is just one of countless examples where the politicians exempt themselves or the government from the laws they pass that affect the rest of us.
tin00can
Headlining Clubs

Post by tin00can »

I don't have a problem with it, but surprisingly enough, I'm a vet minority. It's fairly predictable who is for this and who is against it. This topic came up at work the other day, and I heard the usual arguments which boiled down to "I don't want some queer sucking my dick!" Sadly, a lot of people in the military are dumb enough to think that if gays are allowed to openly serve, that they'll somehow pass the gay on to the straights.
Thrash Gordon

Post by Thrash Gordon »

tin00can wrote:I don't have a problem with it, but surprisingly enough, I'm a vet minority. It's fairly predictable who is for this and who is against it. This topic came up at work the other day, and I heard the usual arguments which boiled down to "I don't want some queer sucking my dick!" Sadly, a lot of people in the military are dumb enough to think that if gays are allowed to openly serve, that they'll somehow pass the gay on to the straights.

Yup. Teenagers full of OOooo Rah, that don't want some queer sharing his foxhole on bivouac. "I don't wanna wake up to some queer bait suckin' my dick". That's what I'm saying. They'd have to figure out a way to overcome this, or the infirmary will be full of blanket party victims.
JakeYonkel
Headlining Clubs

Post by JakeYonkel »

To me it's pretty much how I look at gays in society... I really honestly don't care if you're gay but I don't want to know it by looking at you/hearing you talk. Those that prance around and wear it on their sleeve irritate me, and they're the ones who will probably wind up getting the shit kicked out of them. Then again I doubt the real 'fairies' would join the military anyway.
tin00can
Headlining Clubs

Post by tin00can »

JakeYonkel wrote:To me it's pretty much how I look at gays in society... I really honestly don't care if you're gay but I don't want to know it by looking at you/hearing you talk. Those that prance around and wear it on their sleeve irritate me, and they're the ones who will probably wind up getting the shit kicked out of them. Then again I doubt the real 'fairies' would join the military anyway.

Well, there are actually already a decent number of gays in the military who keep it "under wraps" and I doubt they'll be swishing around if this passes. That's the thing: this bill won't give gays the right to parade around in short-shorts and leather studs, and sodomize people at will. It will just allow them to serve without fear of getting kicked out.
tin00can
Headlining Clubs

Post by tin00can »

Thrash Gordon wrote:
tin00can wrote:I don't have a problem with it, but surprisingly enough, I'm a vet minority. It's fairly predictable who is for this and who is against it. This topic came up at work the other day, and I heard the usual arguments which boiled down to "I don't want some queer sucking my dick!" Sadly, a lot of people in the military are dumb enough to think that if gays are allowed to openly serve, that they'll somehow pass the gay on to the straights.

Yup. Teenagers full of OOooo Rah, that don't want some queer sharing his foxhole on bivouac. "I don't wanna wake up to some queer bait suckin' my dick". That's what I'm saying. They'd have to figure out a way to overcome this, or the infirmary will be full of blanket party victims.

It's not just the teens, believe me. As for the blanket parties - yeah, you may get some of that initially, but I think they'll be punished fairly harshly to set an example. Then it will settle down.
Thrash Gordon

Post by Thrash Gordon »

I have a fair amount of family members who are active military right now, and just about to a man, they don't want this to pass. They're all E-6 or higher. And most of the vets I've talked to are over 40. So, no definitely not just the slick sleeves, just quicker and easier to get out of hand during training in my mind.
VinnieKulick
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by VinnieKulick »

It's about time for them to outlaw DADT.

There has always been homosexuals in the military, there will always BE homosexuals in the military.

All the gay bashing is ignorant and a waste of time, and if a service member can't handle serving with somebody they think is gay, perhaps they aren't suited to wear the uniform.

My first two roommates in the barracks when I was fresh out of A School were queer. And yes, I MEAN to use the word QUEER, there was no hiding it, no pretense. They were as 'gay' as gay can be. But, they were great at their job, good room mates, good friends and when it came down to it, a LOT better human beings than a significant amount of people I knew in the military.

Whenever I used to hear all the homophobic rhetoric, I'd say "what makes you think a gay would WANT to fuck you, or suck your dick?". Nobody ever really had a good answer.
ImageImage
vlad
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by vlad »

I've told it before, but once in a conversation with a wingnut I know about Gay marriage, he exclaimed that I didn't know what it was like to have a guy hit on me! Because Gay men were just lining up to hit on him! It's a perverse weird fantasy. Such manly men, who could resist them given the chance!

Of course an earlier generation of soldiers said much the same about women, and before that about Blacks. FOr the women, I'd refer you to a post from Battle Hymns about that. You won't find someone less liberal or "pussy" and he believes that women deserve to have equal status in combat. I think it was the "Lionesses" post. Or something like that.

Oh, Alexander the Great just PM'd me, and he's just shaking his head...Hephaistion says Hi! 8)
My bubbie, king of the hill 1999-2013
LJP 2002-2014

Quick beats in an icy heart
Catch colt draws a coffin cart
There he goes and now here she starts
ijwthstd
Platinum Artist

Post by ijwthstd »

Now how the hell am I going to get out of serving if I get drafted?
"I went and saw Chickenfoot twice. I've suffered for being Sammy's friend" - Bob Forrest
upinsmoke
Headlining Clubs

Post by upinsmoke »

Thrash Gordon wrote:I've talked to a bunch of fellow vets about this and the consensus seems to be that any one that acts or admits openly to being gay is going to end up in the infirmary at some point during training, be it boot, infantry school, or beyond. One dude accuses him of doing a pecker check in the shower or something, and it's over.

And for those of you who are thinking, Oh grow the fuck up, or times have changed or whatever, and haven't ever been in the military, you don't understand the culture. This Is what will happen.

Blacks and women trying to vote also got plenty of beatdowns for trying to make a needed change. It's not so much of an issue anymore. I know what you're saying and all -- people WILL suffer for this, but the change has to happen some day.
Crazy Levi
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by Crazy Levi »

WhiteHouseSubsAC wrote:Don't Ask/Don't Tell is one step closer to being history. What does everyone think of this? Any of you that served have a problem with the sexual orientation of fellow soldiers?
Only about 20 years later than it should've been done.

The whole ban on gays is ridiculous.
vanitybinge
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by vanitybinge »

JakeYonkel wrote:To me it's pretty much how I look at gays in society... I really honestly don't care if you're gay but I don't want to know it by looking at you/hearing you talk. Those that prance around and wear it on their sleeve irritate me, and they're the ones who will probably wind up getting the shit kicked out of them. Then again I doubt the real 'fairies' would join the military anyway.
What the fuck should anyone care what you think of how a person acts? Fat bitches who count change at the checkout counter irritate me but I don't act like they should change for me.

I thought like you when I was 14, I thought fems were annoying, but since then I've met much more annoying people in so many places that given the choice Id rather hang out with that good sense of humor that usually comes with the fem stereotype.
In the paper, seems a florist
Found in Lincoln Park, died of some anemia
No one raped her, poor Doloris,
Just detained her and drained her on the spot
MA551V3_700L
Picking a Band Name

Post by MA551V3_700L »

I guess if you've never served, you can't understand.
SeminiferousButtNoid
Certified Asshole

Post by SeminiferousButtNoid »

upinsmoke wrote:
Thrash Gordon wrote:I've talked to a bunch of fellow vets about this and the consensus seems to be that any one that acts or admits openly to being gay is going to end up in the infirmary at some point during training, be it boot, infantry school, or beyond. One dude accuses him of doing a pecker check in the shower or something, and it's over.

Blacks and women trying to vote also got plenty of beatdowns for trying to make a needed change. It's not so much of an issue anymore. I know what you're saying and all -- people WILL suffer for this, but the change has to happen some day.

How is being black or being a woman at all similar to identifying as a homosexual?
GreatWhiteSnake wrote:I'm 46 and my dad's 67 and we kiss each other on the mouth and my 9 yo old son and I do too. It's because we love each other. A lot. And could give a shit what anyone else thinks about us kissing on the mouth.
MA551V3_700L
Picking a Band Name

Post by MA551V3_700L »

Actually, situations are so different that they cannot even be compared. In a letter to then-Rep. Patricia Schroeder (D, Colo.) in May 1992, General Colin Powell, the first black to become Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, the nation's highest military post, wrote: “Skin color is a benign, non-behavioral characteristic. Sexual orientation is perhaps the most profound of human behavioral characteristics. Comparison of the two is a convenient but invalid argument.
Powell's emphasis on behavior touches on another controversy: whether people choose to be gay or are born that way. People who believe others become gay by choice are less likely to accept that gays and lesbians suffer discrimination similar to that suffered by blacks, since blacks cannot choose their color. Those who support the view that homosexual orientation is biologically determined are more likely to see the two situations as similar forms of unacceptable and unconstitutional bias.
upinsmoke
Headlining Clubs

Post by upinsmoke »

SeminiferousButtNoid wrote:
upinsmoke wrote: Blacks and women trying to vote also got plenty of beatdowns for trying to make a needed change. It's not so much of an issue anymore. I know what you're saying and all -- people WILL suffer for this, but the change has to happen some day.

How is being black or being a woman at all similar to identifying as a homosexual?
What does it matter, 'noid? Freedom of choice is still what makes this country great. The thing is, we don't really know if it's choice, genetics or both. I haven't seen definitive proof from either side.

People who can't keep those issues separated need a big reality check. I could understand not wanting to be confronted with a member of the same sex making advances, so why not adjust sexual harassment laws instead, if it was that much of an issue? Women get raped in the military all the time, so...should the military be devoid of women?
rocknrollexperience
Having Slaughter Open for You

Post by rocknrollexperience »

I've never served so I don't know what it's like....I understand the "flamers" are annoying, BUT, the one's who keep their sexual preference to themselves, they are fine....I have no issue with homosexuals or lesbians....the "flamers" can be annoying, BUT, I don't think most gays want straight people to convert to their lifestyle....I don't think you can just convert from straight to gay, it's your personal preference, it's what you like or don't like.

I guess, as a man, if I had to shower with gay men I might feel uncomfortable....then again though, I guarantee you there's straight men who look at other men & have bi-thoughts, so it's kinda the same thing.

my feeling is, if you wanna serve in the military....gay, straight, black, white, male, female....whatever...it's the USA, if you live here & wanna fight for your country...god bless you, you should be allowed to serve.

sadly, much like in school...anytime someone's different, they will always be discriminated against & made fun of...that's a sad fact of life.
JakeYonkel
Headlining Clubs

Post by JakeYonkel »

vanitybinge wrote:
What the fuck should anyone care what you think of how a person acts? Fat bitches who count change at the checkout counter irritate me but I don't act like they should change for me.

I thought like you when I was 14, I thought fems were annoying, but since then I've met much more annoying people in so many places that given the choice Id rather hang out with that good sense of humor that usually comes with the fem stereotype.
People who wear their sexuality on their sleeve like that irritate the life out of me. It's a total show and very intentional so I don't have to act like it's "just who they are."

Straight men don't walk around going out of their way to show off their muscles and talk about football and beer (well most of the time anyway) so I don't see the reason for some queerbag to be limp-wristed and sound like a woman. And therein lies the difference between gays and fags. No problem with gays at all, fags I can't stand.
upinsmoke
Headlining Clubs

Post by upinsmoke »

JakeYonkel wrote:...Straight men don't walk around going out of their way to show off their muscles and talk about football and beer (well most of the time anyway)...
Huh? :lol: In what state in the US do these things not happen? 'Straight' guys make an ART of proving their heterosexuality.
JakeYonkel
Headlining Clubs

Post by JakeYonkel »

Well, nobody I hang out with.
Crazy Levi

Post by Crazy Levi »

JakeYonkel wrote: Straight men don't walk around going out of their way to show off their muscles and talk about football and beer (well most of the time anyway) .
Holy shit, are you serious?!
JakeYonkel
Headlining Clubs

Post by JakeYonkel »

I realize how dumb that looks... there's a difference between overtly flaunting your heterosexuality and just being a guy. That's all I was trying to say, albeit badly.
tin00can
Headlining Clubs

Post by tin00can »

JakeYonkel wrote:I realize how dumb that looks... there's a difference between overtly flaunting your heterosexuality and just being a guy. That's all I was trying to say, albeit badly.

What a homo!
dtmfs
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by dtmfs »

he exclaimed that I didn't know what it was like to have a guy hit on me! Because Gay men were just lining up to hit on him! It's a perverse weird fantasy. Such manly men, who could resist them given the chance!
I've been hit on by many gays, never bothered me in the least, just told them I was straight and never had a problem after that. My friends would give me shit and ask why i didn't beat the shit out of em', never understood that macho mentality. As far as gays in the military, god bless anyone that wants to sign up and fight for their country.
Crazy Levi

Post by Crazy Levi »

JakeYonkel wrote:I realize how dumb that looks... there's a difference between overtly flaunting your heterosexuality and just being a guy. That's all I was trying to say, albeit badly.
Surely you know this looks dumb too.

It's America. Pursuit of happiness and all that shit. Someone wants to flounce around like a fairy, that's their business. It really shouldn't upset you.

Doesn't matter anyway. Within a few years, or a decade or so, bans on gay marriage and gays in the military are going to seem as ridiculous as smoking in movie theatres and whites only water fountains look today.

You can't stop it dude. Get with the times.
JakeYonkel
Headlining Clubs

Post by JakeYonkel »

There's already gay marriage in a few states so I know it's coming, ultimately though I do feel it should be a state's decision and not federal law. I digress.

Gays in the military don't bother me at all, I don't really care... but if you've got a fairy type fag in the shower with you don't be surprised if he gets his ass kicked. Once again though to reiterate I don't think those types of fags are the military types anyway. So it's probably a moot point.