OBama to send troops to the border I guess AZ was right.

Post your thoughts and comments on terrorism, war, and political shit like that.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

VinnieKulick
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Re: OBama to send troops to the border I guess AZ was right.

Post by VinnieKulick »

lerxstcat wrote:
VinnieKulick wrote:WW2 was FAR from being fought by an entirely drafted military. Most people signed up before they were drafted.
I didn't say it was, did I? However, 200,000 per MONTH were drafted from 1940 to 1947, Vinnie. I'm sure everybody who is asked says they volunteered, and I'm sure there were lots of volunteers, but 7-8 million men were drafted into that war.

To write them all off as "pukes" because they didn't volunteer does them a disservice, IMO.

And consider that's the last large-scale war we can truly say we won, fought with a largely concript military, this gives the lie to the idea that conscripts don't always fight well.
I didn't mean to infer that the people who were drafted were any less responsible for the victories we experienced in WW2. I feel anybody who serves, especially in a war situation deserves respect, no matter if they were drafted, or if they volunteered.
ImageImage
MasterOfMeatPuppets
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by MasterOfMeatPuppets »

Thrash Gordon wrote:That was a different time and a different generation Lerx. I'm not saying there aren't good kids out there, I'm not. But kids today are soft in general. Back then, kids were told they were to be seen, not heard. Since the 70's, kids have been told they have rights, Mommy can't smack their ass for being bad, etc. With Ipods, the internet, game consoles, they have instant gratification. Take all that away and stick them in a war they possibly don't believe in, and you have trouble. Not in all cases, but in many.
Like in Viet Nam?
ImageImage
Hames Jetfield
Pimping Your Demo At Shows

Post by Hames Jetfield »

I'm on the fence as to whether some sort of mandatory service should be implemented. However, I think it should it strictly be a "homeland" force, where they are trained to guard borders and respond to disasters etc. Whoever would propose such a measure, from either party, would be labeled a tyrant by the other side.