Things Barry O has done that I like

Post your thoughts and comments on terrorism, war, and political shit like that.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

VinnieKulick
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Things Barry O has done that I like

Post by VinnieKulick »

Since I get called "partisan" I thought I'd like to share which things he's done that I like.

Establish a credit card bill of rights. (Helps those too stupid to read their contracts. Also eliminates some of the stupid tricks the Credit Card companies pull on a routine basis)

Expand loan programs for small businesses.(small and medium sized business are the backbone of the economy, much needed capital for those who want to strike out on their own and make their own way)

Extend and index the 2007 Alternative Minimum Tax patch. (ensures adjusted rates for inflation are taken into account when the AMT is used)

Expand funding to train primary care providers and public health practitioners. (Public health handles a LOT of underinsured or uninsured people. So, having more people trained in this field helps. And, we can't do enough to get more teacher funding)

Assure that the Veterans Administration budget is prepared as 'must-pass' legislation. (The VA, where incidentally I get my healthcare, is criminally underfunded. We as a nation owe the people who served and protected us more than we're giving them)

Send two additional brigades to Afghanistan. (we need to get more aggressive in rooting out terror networks)

Make greater investment in advanced military air technology. (We will always need troops on the ground in combat, but improving the way we fight wars will reduce casualties)

Make U.S. military aid to Pakistan conditional on anti-terror efforts. (It's only common sense that if we are providing military aid, we should be getting something in return)

Improve relations with Turkey, and its relations with Iraqi Kurds. (Very vital in maintaining peace in the region.

Launch an international Add Value to Agriculture Initiative (AVTA). (helping African nations make their crops sustainable will decrease the hold terrorists can have on poor nations, and helps nations feed themselves.)

Grant Americans unrestricted rights to visit family and send money to Cuba. (We should let people with families go there unconditionally, and let tourism help prop up the Cuban economy, which will create good will with them)

Recruit math and science degree graduates to the teaching profession. (more technically savvy students lead to more technically savvy professionals, which will help the economy)

Increase funding for national parks and forests. (beautiful lands should remain that way)

Expand access to places to hunt and fish. (people killing their food is rewarding to them personally, and also helps them feed their families)

Fund a major expansion of AmeriCorps. (Public service in exchange for a reduced student loan bill will help the communities and help the students who want to help their communities)

Ban lobbyist gifts to executive employees. (If only votes counted as "gifts")

Create a 'Green Vet Initiative' to promote environmental jobs for veterans
(anything that helps Veterans, I am for)

Support high-speed rail. (If it is cost effective and not running at a constant deficit like Amtrak is)

Extend unemployment insurance benefits and temporarily suspend taxes on these benefits. (This only makes sense with the economy being crap)

Reverse restrictions on stem cell research. (Helps with research, and will help medical advances in the near future)
ImageImage
pooldude
Headlining Clubs

Re: Things Barry O has done that I like

Post by pooldude »

I wouldn't argue against any of those issues.

So I guess we have a handful of items we can agree on, Vinnie.

It's a start. :lol: