Can you be friends with those who have differing pol views?

Post your thoughts and comments on terrorism, war, and political shit like that.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

tylamonroe
Weak Sauce

Can you be friends with those who have differing pol views?

Post by tylamonroe »

I can't. Not anymore. I so strongly believe that Obama and Pelosi are tearing apart this great nation that I can no longer suffer the fools that support them.

This is America. Not France, Canada or Germany.

We WORK here. We take RISKS here. We innovate, adapt or die here. If we don't do these things life sucks here. Thats why we have had the honor and the pleasure to be the leader of the world for 200 years.

I won't let it die on my watch and I won't associate with those that would.

Fuck Obama, Fuck Pelosi, Fuck this insane health care debacle and anyone that supports any of the above.
SmokeyRamone
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Re: Can you be friends with those who have differing pol views?

Post by SmokeyRamone »

funny, I felt the same way about Bush, but hey, shit happens, I'm no fan of Obama or Pelosi, or their ilk, or their so called health care reform, but I don't think they're fucking up the country any worse than Bush did
absolutely fabulous
Headlining Clubs

Post by absolutely fabulous »

i can.

we just don't talk about politics.
The Fiendster wrote:I hate everyone in this thread. Especially myself.

FUCK. I need a drink. :lol:
tylamonroe
Weak Sauce

Post by tylamonroe »

SmokeyRamone wrote:funny, I felt the same way about Bush, but hey, shit happens, I'm no fan of Obama or Pelosi, or their ilk, or their so called health care reform, but I don't think they're fucking up the country any worse than Bush did

It's not about W anymore... How the fuck did we decide to replace the most dangerously unqualifed, arrogant son of a bitch of the planet with the ONE ASSHOLE on the planet who is actually LESS qualified and MORE arragoant than the last ASSHOLE.?

Seriously... What the fuck is going on here?
SmokeyRamone

Post by SmokeyRamone »

I know it's not about Bush anymore, but when he was in charge, there were a lot of liberals claiming the sky was falling, just like there are a bunch of anti Obama conservatives saying the same thing now

Bush made things worse, Obama is in the process of making things worse now, but is the sky falling? Nope, the country isn't broken, Bush didn't break it and Obama isn't going to break it either

Mccain lost, or more accurate, Mccain blew it, the republicans lost, like it or not, it's reality
Last edited by SmokeyRamone on Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
tin00can
Headlining Clubs

Post by tin00can »

If you're mentally and emotionally more than 10 years old, certainly.
cc117
Winning Local Battle of the Bands

Post by cc117 »

I have no problem with it. Most of my friends are Republicans.
lerxstcat
Needs to STFU!

Post by lerxstcat »

The political system of the USA is based on the premise that we can have strong political differences, yet be united in the end. I think it is unAmerican to hate someone because their political thought differs from yours. You're flirting with fascism or communism, depending on your side of the asisle, when you get to the point of hating those who disagree with you.

Obama is not going to destroy America. Such histrionics immediately destroy any meaningful dialogue. And Bush fucked it up bad enough that you can say the GOP needs to zip its lip for at least 4 years - though I know that will never happen.

I have friends and family of all political stripes and while it can lead to some spirited arguments, it doesn't affect the underlying love.
bane
Threesome with Pam and Donna

Post by bane »

Yes, I can. I have friends from all ends of the spectrum. I just tend to avoid political discussions with most of them. I do have a few close friends who enjoy the debate, and we can have some pretty spirited arguments, but most of my friends aren't that politically informed anyway.
Crazy Levi
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by Crazy Levi »

tylamonroe wrote:I can't. Not anymore. I so strongly believe that Obama and Pelosi are tearing apart this great nation that I can no longer suffer the fools that support them.

This is America. Not France, Canada or Germany.

We WORK here. We take RISKS here. We innovate, adapt or die here. If we don't do these things life sucks here. Thats why we have had the honor and the pleasure to be the leader of the world for 200 years.

I won't let it die on my watch and I won't associate with those that would.

Fuck Obama, Fuck Pelosi, Fuck this insane health care debacle and anyone that supports any of the above.
You are a complete imbecile. We have so little control over what happens in politics, as individuals, that it's ridiculous to hold different views against your friends. I have a good friend and bandmate who always tells people he is "an independent," which is ridiculous because he never votes for anyone besides Republicans. He isn't into all their social stupidity, but he believes in tax cuts above anything so always votes Republican.

We have occasional civil discussions about it, but I know where he stands and he knows where I stand, and generally we just don't get into it. That's the point? Allowing politics to affect your social life to a degree where it would disrupt a friendship is worse than letting the terrorists win.

Now, if someone is an asshole, and thier politics are atrocious, well it's just one more reason to dislike them. But as far as it being a deal-breaker, that's like not liking someone because they are a Cowboys fan.
Last edited by Crazy Levi on Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
thejuggernaut
Headlining Clubs
Location: Of course you can't stand gay people. Check out your own animated sig, you fucking idiot - Moggio

Post by thejuggernaut »

I am the only one in my circle who is an avowed conservative. Now, there are a lot of my friends who are center-right and call themselves Liberals, but only because the word "conservative" is more of an obscenity up here than it is down there.

Regardless, I am still the only one who identifies himself as a conservative.
Crazy Levi

Post by Crazy Levi »

tylamonroe wrote:

It's not about W anymore... How the fuck did we decide to replace the most dangerously unqualifed, arrogant son of a bitch of the planet with the ONE ASSHOLE on the planet who is actually LESS qualified and MORE arragoant than the last ASSHOLE.?

Seriously... What the fuck is going on here?
I digress...

This new conservative approach really tickles me. We are seeing it more and more.

People like you, Vinnie, and others always respond to a Bush retort with....

"Oh yeah, Bush totally fuckin' sucked...but Obama is even worse!!!!!"

Are we really supposed to believe you guys though Bush fuckin' sucked when he was actually President?
tin00can
Headlining Clubs

Post by tin00can »

lerxstcat wrote:The political system of the USA is based on the premise that we can have strong political differences, yet be united in the end. I think it is unAmerican to hate someone because their political thought differs from yours. You're flirting with fascism or communism, depending on your side of the asisle, when you get to the point of hating those who disagree with you.

Obama is not going to destroy America. Such histrionics immediately destroy any meaningful dialogue. And Bush fucked it up bad enough that you can say the GOP needs to zip its lip for at least 4 years - though I know that will never happen.

I have friends and family of all political stripes and while it can lead to some spirited arguments, it doesn't affect the underlying love.

Spot-on post, chum.
Ugmo
Doing Package Tours in Theaters

Post by Ugmo »

No problem at all. Just look at Sludge. We bitch at each other over politics and then go to the Gossip Board and laugh about Ace Frehley together.

By the way, the original post is laugh-out-loud ridiculous. Obama and Pelosi "tearing apart this great nation" by trying to give people access to healthcare. Tee hee. Tylamonroe is obviously completely clueless about politics - but most likely he balances that out by listening to some cool bands we could shoot the shit about. Problem solved!
Ugmo

Post by Ugmo »

Also, the right wing needs to get its characterization of Obama straight... is he a spineless, ineffective empty suit who travels around the world apologizing for the USA, or is he an arrogant asshole bent on destroying the country?

The country is financially broken and it's headed for disaster. When you can only muster one Senator to stand up for fiscal responsibilty and abiding by a law that was signed just weeks ago you are done. Both administrations are to blame for their reckless defecit spending. Game over.
I haven't checked this yet, but I will eat my fucking hat if the "one Senator who stood up for fiscal responsibility" didn't also vote in favor of Bush's unfunded tax cuts for the rich.
Ugmo

Post by Ugmo »

Well lookey here! Did I call it or did I call it?
Jim Bunning, America’s greatest crusader for fiscal responsibility, served in the Senate for the whole of George W. Bush’s presidency and voted for each of his major priorities: the multi-trillion dollar tax cuts, the trillion dollar wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, and the hugely unfunded $1.2 trillion Medicare prescription drug benefit
http://usjamerica.wordpress.com/2010/03 ... -bullshit/

Jim Bunning can go die in a fire, the goddamn hypocrite. Anyone want to bet he also voted to lift the debt ceiling every single time under Bush?
Ugmo

Post by Ugmo »

I'm sorry, this is just another case of people suddenly becoming "fiscally conservative" overnight as soon as it's the other party holding the purse strings.
tin00can
Headlining Clubs

Post by tin00can »

I love all the hysterical people on both sides of the aisle. "Oh no, America is ending!"

Shut the fuck up, you whiny babies. Just because the "other side" has power doesn't mean it's game over. In one breath you cry about what Obama is doing to the country, in another you laugh at him because he and his party are ineffectual, and in yet another breath you look forward to the November elections when (perhaps) the republicans will be back in power. Each of these contradicts the other, and yet you keep on whining.

Meanwhile, if there is a power-shift in November, you can bet it will take the democrats about 30 seconds to start bitching about how America is ending. Again.

Jesus christ on a pogo stick.

Good thing the founding fathers aren't alive today, because they'd be sick of you pansy-asses. That I can say with certainty.
lerxstcat
Needs to STFU!

Post by lerxstcat »

As for the horrifying deficit, I believe a majority of the nations on Earth who have owed the USA money have defaulted at one point or another.

So the USA is still wealthy enough to declare national bankruptcy, those nations who trade with us would still have to trade with us because we are the biggest consumer market in the world. They wouldn't like it, but they would have to do it.

What is anyone gonna do about it? Freeze our assets in their countries? We'll freeze THEIR assets in OUR country, let's see who comes out ahead. Try to take their money militarily? We have 2 oceans for moats, and a plenty big and strong military to defend our own shores.

In fact we should pull our troops out of everywhere foreign, so the rest of the planet can start paying for its own defense instead of the USA footing the bill for the whole planet.
thejuggernaut
Headlining Clubs
Location: Of course you can't stand gay people. Check out your own animated sig, you fucking idiot - Moggio

Post by thejuggernaut »

Ugmo wrote:Also, the right wing needs to get its characterization of Obama straight... is he a spineless, ineffective empty suit who travels around the world apologizing for the USA, or is he an arrogant asshole bent on destroying the country?
I am sure that'll happen right around the same time the left wing makes a final choice on whether or not Bush wrecked the country, or if it was Cheney because Bush was too stupid to do anything.
bane
Threesome with Pam and Donna

Post by bane »

lerxstcat wrote: In fact we should pull our troops out of everywhere foreign, so the rest of the planet can start paying for its own defense instead of the USA footing the bill for the whole planet.
Ron Paul, is that you?

Agreement on the ridiculousness of the OP. The country may be changing, but change is inevitable. It doesn't spell, "The End of America"!!11!!! Grow some perspective.
vanitybinge
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by vanitybinge »

I can be friends with people who have different views, that's what makes me American in the first place. I'll respect your opinion even if I disagree with it. If you're just plain wrong, we can talk about that.

I love talking to people who have different opinions on politics because it helps me learn.
Seriously, I could never keep up with my teachers in high school on the shit, I was too bored or distracted or horny to care. Almost everything I understand about politics and why things happen the way they do is not from the news or even the books I read, although they certainly help, but from discussions with older people on all sides.
In the paper, seems a florist
Found in Lincoln Park, died of some anemia
No one raped her, poor Doloris,
Just detained her and drained her on the spot
Crazy Levi

Post by Crazy Levi »

Ugmo wrote:Also, the right wing needs to get its characterization of Obama straight... is he a spineless, ineffective empty suit who travels around the world apologizing for the USA, or is he an arrogant asshole bent on destroying the country?

The country is financially broken and it's headed for disaster. When you can only muster one Senator to stand up for fiscal responsibilty and abiding by a law that was signed just weeks ago you are done. Both administrations are to blame for their reckless defecit spending. Game over.
I haven't checked this yet, but I will eat my fucking hat if the "one Senator who stood up for fiscal responsibility" didn't also vote in favor of Bush's unfunded tax cuts for the rich.
He did vote for them. Of course.
EvilMadman

Post by EvilMadman »

"Can you be friends with those who have differing pol views?"

Yup.

And I am.

And sometimes we agree with each other, and sometimes we don't. The opinions aren't life & death, so fuck it.
MasterOfMeatPuppets
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by MasterOfMeatPuppets »

YourMomma wrote:
lerxstcat wrote:
Obama is not going to destroy America.
Let's hope not.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/obama/postamerican.asp

I usually don't discuss politics with my friends as some of them came down with amnesia last January and can't recall the eight years before then.
ImageImage
EvilMadman

Post by EvilMadman »

Fareed Zakaria is pretty cool. But I really wish Obama would do himself a big favor and pick up...

8)
vlad
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by vlad »

Of course I have friends of all political and religious (sadly, often political in it's own right) stripes.

I did all through the Bush years, too.

There are only a couple of people who I have ever stopped being friendly with because of politics...like the one ugly little redneck (though I am slightly redneck myself..a redneck hippie) fucker who went on about Teh-Gays!!!!! Because, I as a woman who at the time was a tall, big busted size 9 with hair down to my rear and a cute little nose (er..so I am told, I think my nose is freakish :D )...well I, as such, simply had no idea what it was like to "have a guy hit on me!"...yeah, laughing at him probably wasn't a good idea, and retorting that "No Gay man in his right mind would hit one you, you creepy little fucker" was not that nice...he still hates my liberal guts to this day...oh well. He never liked women anyway...mostly because they, including me, didn't like him hitting on them...and he launches into tirades about liberal conspiracies...and "niggers"...as you can guess, he thinks Obama being elected is literally the end of America.

I do have a male friend that all the ladies love, and he's a wingnut, listens to rush, etc...I asked how he got all these liberal women...he said "I think like a Republican, but I fuck like a Democrat"...he's adorable...likes cats.

The biggest arguments I have ever had though have been about Palin....I saw through her bullshit right away (because I literally know where she is from). My poor husband, who had been out fishing for a week when she first hit the airwaves came home saying he thought she was cool, from what the other guys in the fleet were saying (she's HAWT!)...the glass I was drinking out of went flying past his head (hey, it was in the middle of night and I got up to greet him home, I was tired)... :oops: Thankfully he figured her out on his own...or at least had the good sense to "yes dear" me...though I do know he voted for Obama and Biden.

Mostly if my friends across the aisle and I disagree strongly about something we talk about other important things in our lives, or our gardens or kids or whatever...we have more in common than we don't. Our kids all played together and now they are starting to date each other...oh, small towns..(Hey, Mom..didn't you used to date my girlfriend's dad?).
My bubbie, king of the hill 1999-2013
LJP 2002-2014

Quick beats in an icy heart
Catch colt draws a coffin cart
There he goes and now here she starts
Ugmo

Post by Ugmo »

thejuggernaut wrote:I am sure that'll happen right around the same time the left wing makes a final choice on whether or not Bush wrecked the country, or if it was Cheney because Bush was too stupid to do anything.
Hey now, my position has never wavered that I think the latter was the case. That's borne out by their actions since leaving office - Bush has since avoided politics like the plague, while Cheney can't keep his mouth shut!
MickeyG
Doing 20 Questions with Metal Sludge

Post by MickeyG »

If only there was a good third party alternative. Independents voting with the Dems don't cut it for me.
Landshark2000
Headlining a Theater Tour

Post by Landshark2000 »

Yes, I can ... and am. You just have to remember that no matter how strongly you feel about something, it's not always someones else's view. And, like fighting in a relationship or marriage, you have to fight fair. If you are having a political discussion don't resort to being ugly ... it's not worth a friendship. I agree to disagree with people of a different belief system, if our friendship is strong.
IDIAMINDADA wrote:Take your child, and leave him in the woods....he has a better chance being raised by a pack of homosexual squirrels.