Deficit four times higher in a year.

Post your thoughts and comments on terrorism, war, and political shit like that.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

Nevermind
Recording Debut Album

Deficit four times higher in a year.

Post by Nevermind »

More hope and change you can believe in.

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE64B53W20100512

The United States posted an $82.69 billion deficit in April, nearly four times the $20.91 billion shortfall registered in April 2009 and the largest on record for that month, the Treasury Department said on Wednesday.

It was more than twice the $40-billion deficit that Wall Street economists surveyed by Reuters had forecast and was striking since April marks the filing deadline for individual income taxes that are the main source of government revenue.

Department officials said that in prior years, there was a surplus during April in 43 out of the past 56 years.

The government has now posted 19 consecutive monthly budget deficits, the longest string of shortfalls on record.

For the first seven months of fiscal 2010, which ends September 30, the cumulative budget deficit totals $799.68 billion, down slightly from $802.3 billion in the comparable period of fiscal 2009.

Outlays during April rose to $327.96 billion from $218.75 billion in March and were up from $287.11 billion in April 2009. It was a record level of outlays for an April.

Department officials noted there were five Fridays in April this year, which helped account for higher outlays since most tax refunds are issued on that day.

But for the first seven months of the fiscal year, outlays fell to $1.99 trillion from $2.06 trillion in the comparable period of fiscal 2009, partly because of repayments by banks of bailout funds they received during the financial crisis.

Receipts in April -- mostly from income taxes -- were $245.27 billion, up from $153.36 billion in March but lower than the $266.21 billion taken in during April 2009.

Receipts from individuals, who faced an April 15 filing deadline for paying 2009 taxes, fell to $107.31 billion from $137.67 billion in April 2009.

The U.S. full-year deficit this year is projected at $1.5 trillion on top of a $1.4 trillion shortfall last year.

White House budget director Peter Orszag told Reuters Insider in an interview on Wednesday that the United States must tackle its deficits quickly to avoid the kind of debt crisis that hit Greece.
MasterOfMeatPuppets
MSX Tour Support Act

Re: Deficit four times higher in a year.

Post by MasterOfMeatPuppets »

For the first seven months of fiscal 2010, which ends September 30, the cumulative budget deficit totals $799.68 billion, down slightly from $802.3 billion in the comparable period of fiscal 2009.
But for the first seven months of the fiscal year, outlays fell to $1.99 trillion from $2.06 trillion in the comparable period of fiscal 2009, partly because of repayments by banks of bailout funds they received during the financial crisis.
Oh no, this is disastrous news! :shock: Someone should really read these articles beyond the headline before he posts them. :lol:
ImageImage
Nevermind
Recording Debut Album

Post by Nevermind »

Perhaps you should take your own advice. The very first sentence proves my post.
The United States posted an $82.69 billion deficit in April, nearly four times the $20.91 billion shortfall registered in April 2009 and the largest on record for that month, the Treasury Department said on Wednesday.
MasterOfMeatPuppets
MSX Tour Support Act

Nevermind wrote:Perhaps you should take your own advice. The very first sentence proves my post.
And that means jack shit. The cumulative deficit for the first seven months of this year is lower than the same period last year, so whoopty-fuck about one lousy month, assclown. Everything you post proves only that you are a clueless dumbass too stupid to comprehend the big picture.
ImageImage
Ugmo
Doing Package Tours in Theaters

Post by Ugmo »

Troll. Shaggermind is a troll. And he's worthless. At least some of the other conservatives here are interested in debate. He's only interested in rehashing stupid articles to get a reaction out of people.

Hey Shagg, how many sock puppets do you have here? More to the point, why do you keep dusting them off when everyone can tell it's you anyway?
MasterOfMeatPuppets
MSX Tour Support Act

I know. I just like rubbing his nose in his shit, like disciplining a dog although even a dog eventually catches on to the lesson.
ImageImage
Nevermind
Recording Debut Album

Post by Nevermind »

The government has now posted the longest string of shortfalls in history -19 consecutive monthly budget deficits.

That's funny, because the Democrats have been in control of Congress since 2007. I'm no mathematician, but that puts Democrats in charge for 28, going on 29, months. So for well more than half of their rule in Congress, the democrats have managed a budget deficit.
Ugmo

Post by Ugmo »

Nevermind wrote:The government has now posted the longest string of shortfalls in history -19 consecutive monthly budget deficits.

That's funny, because the Democrats have been in control of Congress since 2007. I'm no mathematician, but that puts Democrats in charge for 28, going on 29, months. So for more than half of their "rule" in Congress, they have managed a budget deficit.
Hey genius, why would that be? The Bush tax cuts were passed through reconciliation, which means they couldn't expire for ten years from their enactment - i.e. 2011 and 2013. Prescription drugs bill, passed by the Republican congress and not paid for. Iraq and Afghanistan Wars, etc.

You suck at this, just like the Republicans suck at balancing budgets.
Nevermind
Recording Debut Album

Post by Nevermind »

Ugmo wrote:
Nevermind wrote:The government has now posted the longest string of shortfalls in history -19 consecutive monthly budget deficits.

That's funny, because the Democrats have been in control of Congress since 2007. I'm no mathematician, but that puts Democrats in charge for 28, going on 29, months. So for more than half of their "rule" in Congress, they have managed a budget deficit.
Hey genius, why would that be? The Bush tax cuts were passed through reconciliation, which means they couldn't expire for ten years from their enactment - i.e. 2011 and 2013. Prescription drugs bill, passed by the Republican congress and not paid for. Iraq and Afghanistan Wars, etc.

You suck at this, just like the Republicans suck at balancing budgets.
First of all smart ass, the Bush tax cuts got us out of what was left of the Clinton recession.
Next, tax revenues to the federal government increased, do you know what that word means, increased, as a result of the Bush tax cuts.
The economy responded strongly to the Bush 2003 tax cuts.
Iraq and Afghanistan, are you sure you want to go there? Two wars which democrats voted for and continue to fund as I type this.
Ugmo

Post by Ugmo »

Nevermind wrote:First of all smart ass, the Bush tax cuts got us out of what was left of the Clinton recession.
:lol:

That's a good one. So we needed 10 years of unfunded tax cuts - i.e. not offset by any spending cuts - to get us out of the "Clinton recession." Why is it that whenever a recession takes place during a Republican's tenure of office, you supporters of the Asshole Party manage to blame it on a Democrat?

The Bush recession we went through last year sure was a doozy, huh?
Nevermind wrote:Next, tax revenues to the federal government increased, do you know what that word means, increased, as a result of the Bush tax cuts. The economy responded strongly to the Bush 2003 tax cuts.
Your bullshit is so easy to debunk:

http://www.factcheck.org/taxes/supply-side_spin.html

http://krugman.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/0 ... ry-lesson/

Like I said, you are terrible at this.

Nevermind wrote:Iraq and Afghanistan, are you sure you want to go there? Two wars which democrats voted for and continue to fund as I type this.
Please. More Republicans voted for them than Democrats because Republicans controlled Congress at the time. Not that that's even relevant, because I didn't blame the two wars on the Republicans (although I certainly could have blamed the Iraq War on the Cheney administration). I just said that they were a reason for the budget deficits that you can't blame on Democrats - at least not without assigning greater blame to the Republicans. But you'd never blame Team Red, would you, even when they fuck up royal (i.e. all the time)?
MasterOfMeatPuppets
MSX Tour Support Act

Nevermind wrote:
First of all smart ass, the Bush tax cuts got us out of what was left of the Clinton recession.
Next, tax revenues to the federal government increased, do you know what that word means, increased, as a result of the Bush tax cuts.
The economy responded strongly to the Bush 2003 tax cuts.
Iraq and Afghanistan, are you sure you want to go there? Two wars which democrats voted for and continue to fund as I type this.
Clinton recession? Nigga please, what cave did you hide in for the last 10 years? Yeah, I know what increased means. It's like Bush increased our national debt from $5.7 trillion to $10.6 trillion. That's like a 185% increase and he did this while you claim he increased the amount of money the government brought in. That just increased my shock and disgust at his dismal performance. Afghanistan's Taliban government harbored a group with demonstrated ability to cause severe damage so I don't see that as a big mistake. As far as Iraq, Republicans controlled Congress, as was pointed out previously, and there were false WMDs and Al Quaeda links to sucker in the rest. Damn them for trusting the President.
ImageImage