Arizona = FUN!

Post your thoughts and comments on terrorism, war, and political shit like that.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

chickenona
Pimp Jesus

Arizona = FUN!

Post by chickenona »

So we all obviously know about the immigration law. What's up with this one, though? Earlier this week Brewer signed off on a law banning "ethnic studies".

http://www.cnn.com/2010/POLITICS/05/12/ ... index.html

Fresh on the heels of a new immigration law that has led to calls to boycott her state, Arizona's governor has signed a bill banning ethnic studies classes that "promote resentment" of other racial groups.

Gov. Jan Brewer approved the measure without public statement Tuesday, according to state legislative records. The new law forbids elementary or secondary schools to teach classes that are "designed primarily for pupils of a particular ethnic group" and advocate "the overthrow of the United States government" or "resentment toward a race or class of people."

The bill was pushed by state school Superintendent Tom Horne, who has spent two years trying to get Tucson schools to drop a Mexican-American studies program he said teaches Latino students they are an oppressed minority. There was no immediate response from the Tucson Unified School District, the law's main target.

Brewer's signature comes less than a month after she approved a state law that requires immigrants to carry their registration documents at all times and allows police to question individuals' immigration status in the process of enforcing any other law or ordinance. Critics of the law say it will lead to racial profiling, while supporters say it involves no racial profiling and is needed to crack down on increasing crime involving illegal immigrants.

On Wednesday, the Los Angeles City Council overwhelmingly approved a boycott of Arizona-based businesses and governments unless the state repeals the new immigration law.

The city's legislative analyst reported that Los Angeles currently has $56 million in contracts with companies headquartered in Arizona.

Several other California cities, including San Francisco and Oakland, have already adopted resolutions requesting city departments to not sign any new contracts with Arizona companies.
deathcurse wrote:The secret board you had with Itjogs. You talked about me obsessively on there. There were witnesses.
vaya con DIO

http://nevergetbusted.com/2010/
vlad
MSX Tour Support Act

Re: Arizona = FUN!

Post by vlad »

Yeah, I heard about this last week....

It's the snowbird "natives" wanting their "indigenous" culture to be the only one taught. Seems the real resentment lies in the hearts of the white folks.

Will studies of the Navajo, the Zuni, the Hopi, the Tohono O'odham, etc., etc. be banned as well? Over 25 % of the state is reservation land.
My bubbie, king of the hill 1999-2013
LJP 2002-2014

Quick beats in an icy heart
Catch colt draws a coffin cart
There he goes and now here she starts
chickenona
Pimp Jesus

Post by chickenona »

The law is pretty broadly worded - it prohibits "courses of study that focus on one particular ethnic group".
deathcurse wrote:The secret board you had with Itjogs. You talked about me obsessively on there. There were witnesses.
vaya con DIO

http://nevergetbusted.com/2010/
tin00can
Headlining Clubs

Post by tin00can »

chickenona wrote:The law is pretty broadly worded - it prohibits "courses of study that focus on one particular ethnic group".

Including whites?
VinnieKulick
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by VinnieKulick »

Yes, including whites. It doesn't say you can't teach about every race, it says you can't teach in a way that makes one race seem inferior to another.

Not a bad idea if we are in 'a post racial world'.
ImageImage
JakeYonkel
Headlining Clubs

Post by JakeYonkel »

I don't see the big deal.
TravisBickelsMohawk
Mad Cow Diseased

Post by TravisBickelsMohawk »

Hey, I'm all in favor of people studying their own culture, but this is America. If you want to study the Mexican culture, then do so, but on your own time.

When a VP nominee can't name more than one Supreme Court decision, isn't it obvious we need to emphasize the teaching of American culture and history?????
Animals die to keep your fat ass alive.
Hames Jetfield
Pimping Your Demo At Shows

Post by Hames Jetfield »

TravisBickelsMohawk wrote:Hey, I'm all in favor of people studying their own culture, but this is America. If you want to study the Mexican culture, then do so, but on your own time.

When a VP nominee can't name more than one Supreme Court decision, isn't it obvious we need to emphasize the teaching of American culture and history?????
I'm a hardcore liberal and I think that the new Immigration bill in Arizona is unconstitutional, but I completely agree with what you said. It's fine if their parents and grandparents want to tell them of their heritage, but they need to fully adopt English and understand American history--warts and all. My grandfather immigrated as a boy after WWII and though he was able to retain his native language, he also assimilated, went through the naturalization process, and spoke English fluently.
JakeYonkel
Headlining Clubs

Post by JakeYonkel »

Hames Jetfield wrote:My grandfather immigrated as a boy after WWII and though he was able to retain his native language, he also assimilated, went through the naturalization process, and spoke English fluently.
I think that was the 'norm' prior to the last 2 generations or so. Ever since then they've either gotten really fucking arrogant or American society has gotten way too accomodating.
MasterOfMeatPuppets
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by MasterOfMeatPuppets »

Are they really teaching the kids of color in AZ racial hate and sedition?
ImageImage
fatbass
Having Slaughter Open for You

Post by fatbass »

MasterOfMeatPuppets wrote:Are they really teaching the kids of color in AZ racial hate and sedition?
No. Currently they practice racial profiling in the schools. If your skin is dark enough, they'll enroll you in a class to teach you about famous Mexicans.
MasterOfMeatPuppets
MSX Tour Support Act

fatbass wrote:
MasterOfMeatPuppets wrote:Are they really teaching the kids of color in AZ racial hate and sedition?
No. Currently they practice racial profiling in the schools. If your skin is dark enough, they'll enroll you in a class to teach you about famous Mexicans.
No white kids allowed?
ImageImage
Calexxia
Cockblocked by Poison
Location: HERE I AM MOTHERFUCKER, JUST CLEANING UP MY MOTHERFUCKING BRICKS, BITCH.

Post by Calexxia »

Interestingly enough, in my area, the issue is more pointed due to the Islamic communities here; I find it very interesting that they were teaching 4th grade children about the American internment camps during WWII, but did not mention Hitler, nor the Holocaust.

And the original "melting pot" concept succeeded for a long time--where the idea was that each culture would bring something new to what we call being American. However, it turned into (probably around the fifties or so) a total "whitewash", where only the Anglo-American culture was considered important. As a backlash to that, I had no issue with the rise of various ethnic studies courses, but am still gullible enough to believe that we should focus on "American" accomplishment (including those of non-Anglo descent), rather than (for example) making a huge big deal over Cinco de Mayo, or what have you.

The good example here is the work of George Washington Carver--his work was important, regardless of his race. It wasn't like (and I realize this isn't an ethnicity issue) Amelia Earhart, who was famed for being "the first WOMAN who..." Yes, an oppressive society has made it difficult for certain groups to achieve in the NUMBERS that WASP males have, but I really do hate the recognition given to "first (fill in the blank) to do something." I'd much rather appreciate UNIQUE accomplishments.
"Why leather woman post whore picture of breast!! That is for baby food and husband not internets!!"
fatbass
Having Slaughter Open for You

Post by fatbass »

MasterOfMeatPuppets wrote:
fatbass wrote:
No white kids allowed?
"The measure doesn't prohibit classes that teach about the history of a particular ethnic group, as long as the course is open to all students and doesn't promote ethnic solidarity or resentment."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100512/ap_ ... ic_studies
MasterOfMeatPuppets
MSX Tour Support Act

So, the dark skinned kids aren't being taught to hate light skinned kids and to rise up against the USA but they passed a law to stop it anyways. Sounds like a bunch of grandstanding assclowns,
ImageImage