It doesn't get any better than this...

Post your thoughts and comments on terrorism, war, and political shit like that.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

Cliffenstein
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

It doesn't get any better than this...

Post by Cliffenstein »

This is my all time favorite political advertisement...bar none. I actually get excited watching this and I don't even live in Alabama!

Here's the link:

YOUTUBE VIDEO - Dale Peterson for AG Commish

later...Cliffy
Ugmo
Doing Package Tours in Theaters

Re: It doesn't get any better than this...

Post by Ugmo »

That guy looks like the kind of jackass I would relish voting against.
Cliffenstein

Post by Cliffenstein »

Ugmo wrote:That guy looks like the kind of jackass I would relish voting against.
Not me...the dude tells it completely like it is. He pulls no punches and isn't trying to be some politically correct nice guy. Plus he says "rip" and "dummy". Also, I love how he pulls out his gun and walks off with it over his shoulder.

It's perfect for these crazy times we're living in. He's showcasing that old fashioned American spirit that I just love.
Ugmo

Post by Ugmo »

Cliffenstein wrote:Not me...the dude tells it completely like it is. He pulls no punches and isn't trying to be some politically correct nice guy. Plus he says "rip" and "dummy". Also, I love how he pulls out his gun and walks off with it over his shoulder.

It's perfect for these crazy times we're living in. He's showcasing that old fashioned American spirit that I just love.
I don't know that he tells it "like it is." He tells it like he sees it, which is most likely completely inaccurate since he's a conservative Republican.
JakeYonkel
Headlining Clubs

Post by JakeYonkel »

Hahaha, that was a good one.

I'm too lazy to look 'em up, but you should check out the videos of the new NJ governor Chris Christie essentially telling reporters to STFU when they call him "confrontational." Boy is he pissing people off up there.
Ugmo

Post by Ugmo »

"Who you callin' confrontational? I WILL CUT YOU!!!!"
MasterOfMeatPuppets
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by MasterOfMeatPuppets »

In Alabama, it doesn't. :roll:
ImageImage
Cliffenstein

Post by Cliffenstein »

Ugmo wrote:I don't know that he tells it "like it is." He tells it like he sees it, which is most likely completely inaccurate since he's a conservative Republican.
yeah, man...those liberal Democrats sure are a completely accurate bunch.

(and just in case you didn't catch the intended sentiment of that statement... :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: )
Last edited by Cliffenstein on Tue May 18, 2010 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cliffenstein

Post by Cliffenstein »

Ugmo

Post by Ugmo »

Cliffenstein wrote:
Ugmo wrote:I don't know that he tells it "like it is." He tells it like he sees it, which is most likely completely inaccurate since he's a conservative Republican.
yeah, man...those liberal Democrats sure are a completely accurate bunch.

(and just in case you didn't catch the intended sentiment of that statement... :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: )

Well, your party ran the country into the ground for the past eight years. Excuse me if I doubt the GOP's ability to assess anything accurately.
MasterOfMeatPuppets
MSX Tour Support Act

He can use this on the next shitty album he 'remasters'.
ImageImage
Cliffenstein

Post by Cliffenstein »

Ugmo wrote:Well, your party ran the country into the ground for the past eight years. Excuse me if I doubt the GOP's ability to assess anything accurately.
Considering the complaints you had about the former president's spending, how on earth do you get yourself to support this one's?

Shouldn't you be feeling a bit of "buyer's remorse" at this point?
MasterOfMeatPuppets
MSX Tour Support Act

Cliffenstein, are you a Republican or a conservative?
ImageImage
Ugmo

Post by Ugmo »

Cliffenstein wrote:Considering the complaints you had about the former president's spending, how on earth do you get yourself to support this one's?

Shouldn't you be feeling a bit of "buyer's remorse" at this point?

We've been going over this for MONTHS on the War Board before you showed up. Why don't you scroll through a few threads and inform yourself a little, because I have very little interest in rehashing the same points I've made a hundred times already.

(The short answer is FUCK NO, as there are only two options in the U.S. and the Asshole Party isn't one of them for me, sorry.)
Cliffenstein

Post by Cliffenstein »

Ugmo wrote:We've been going over this for MONTHS on the War Board before you showed up. Why don't you scroll through a few threads and inform yourself a little, because I have very little interest in rehashing the same points I've made a hundred times already.

(The short answer is FUCK NO, as there are only two options in the U.S. and the Asshole Party isn't one of them for me, sorry.)
Buyer's remorse doesn't mean you have to vote for the "other team"...it just means you can make an informed decision to sit out when "your team" doesn't live up to their promises.

And "your team" DEFINITELY hasn't lived up to their promises and if you can't admit that then you, sir, are one intellectually dishonest fellow.
Cliffenstein

Post by Cliffenstein »

MasterOfMeatPuppets wrote:Cliffenstein, are you a Republican or a conservative?
I'm a conservative Republican.
MasterOfMeatPuppets
MSX Tour Support Act

Cliffenstein wrote:
MasterOfMeatPuppets wrote:Cliffenstein, are you a Republican or a conservative?
I'm a conservative Republican.
oxymoron :lol:
ImageImage
Cliffenstein

Post by Cliffenstein »

MasterOfMeatPuppets wrote:oxymoron :lol:
Conservatism in the United States
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Conservatism in the United States is an umbrella term for an array of related positions on political and economic policy, generally favoring free-market capitalism, Christian morality and anti-communism. Since the 1890s it has been chiefly associated with the Republican Party, although there were numerous conservative Democrats from the South until the 1980s.

click here to read more

later...Cliffy
MasterOfMeatPuppets
MSX Tour Support Act

Conservatives are the dudes who like limited government and minimal spending. Republicans gave us the DHS, the Patriot Act and a 185% increase in the national debt. Nothing conservative about that.
ImageImage
Cliffenstein

Post by Cliffenstein »

MasterOfMeatPuppets wrote:Conservatives are the dudes who like limited government and minimal spending. Republicans gave us the DHS, the Patriot Act and a 185% increase in the national debt. Nothing conservative about that.
Yeah...you know...9/11 and all.

(And, hey...complaining about Republican spending while supporting Democrat spending that makes Republican spending look exceedingly thrifty by comparison makes a LOT of sense).
lerxstcat
Needs to STFU!

Post by lerxstcat »

Ugmo wrote:
Cliffenstein wrote:Not me...the dude tells it completely like it is. He pulls no punches and isn't trying to be some politically correct nice guy. Plus he says "rip" and "dummy". Also, I love how he pulls out his gun and walks off with it over his shoulder.

I don't know that he tells it "like it is." He tells it like he sees it, which is most likely completely inaccurate since he's a conservative Republican.
Which is the vast majority of the constituency in the state of Alabama. I'm not following the campaigns over there but the horse, the farm, the gun, all will tug heartstrings in that state.

And really, they have the right to have the kind of state they want, just as the Northeastern states have the right to be more liberal. That helpos keep equilibrium within the nation when the national vote goes the opposite way of your political leanings.

You can demonize that like a 5-year-old child, or you can realize that it's a good thing that conservatives and liberals each have their own spheres of influence, parts of the country where they can live and be comfortable.
Ugmo

Post by Ugmo »

Cliffenstein wrote:Buyer's remorse doesn't mean you have to vote for the "other team"...it just means you can make an informed decision to sit out when "your team" doesn't live up to their promises.

And "your team" DEFINITELY hasn't lived up to their promises and if you can't admit that then you, sir, are one intellectually dishonest fellow.
Sit the next one out? In a two-party system that is the equivalent of giving the other party half a vote. Fucked if I'm gonna do that. :lol:

Politifact.com my friend. That's where everyone who claims "Obama is just another lying politician" who doesn't keep his campaign promises can go to see that he actually has a pretty damned good record of keeping his campaign promises.

Now am I a little disappointed in Obama? Sure. I would prefer a president who kicks ass and takes down the names like FDR. But that isn't Obama's style. He's a guy who doesn't want to ruffle too many feathers, who relies on compromise and procedure within his own party and kind words for the other party. I personally would like to see him use the White House as a bully pulpit. Sometimes he does, like when he took his show on the road prior to the health care vote to drum up public support.

I am also a little alarmed that he is doing a lot of things the exact same way Bush did them, especially in terms of foreign policy. The difference is he does it with a less arrogant delivery, but the policies themselves aren't all that different.

What you were trying to get me to say last night was that Obama spends to much money. As I said, we've been over this umpteen times here, but Obama's enormous deficit is largely a result of 1) very low tax revenues due to high unemployment and Bush's unfunded tax cuts and 2) high stimulus spending. If you're going to spend money, I far prefer it be spent to stimulate the economy in times of a massive recession than on tax cuts for the wealthy in prosperous economic times and ludicrously excessive military spending. Unfortunately Obama has maintained Bush's policy of ludicrously excessive military spending, which America unfortunately cannot afford any longer.

But again, in a nutshell, I am about 100 times more at ease with Obama at the helm than Bush, because I'm relatively certain Obama has the country's best interests at heart rather than his own.
Ugmo

Post by Ugmo »

Cliffenstein wrote:(And, hey...complaining about Republican spending while supporting Democrat spending that makes Republican spending look exceedingly thrifty by comparison makes a LOT of sense).
Hey, yet another Republican who either doesn't realize or doesn't want to admit that 1) much of Obama's deficit is Bush's fault and 2) the MASSIVE recession is a game changer.

Bush managed to turn a budget surplus into a massive budget deficit in prosperous economic times. That takes a whole lot of fiscal incompetence. Obama has to work with what Bush left him.

Here you go:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_Unite ... ral_budget
The U.S. budget situation has deteriorated significantly since 2001, when the Congressional Budget Office (CBO) forecast average annual surpluses of approximately $850 billion from 2009–2012. The average deficit forecast in each of those years is now approximately $1,215 billion. The NY Times analyzed this roughly $2 trillion "swing," separating the causes into four major categories along with their share:

Recessions or the business cycle (37%);
Policies enacted by President Bush (33%);
Policies enacted by President Bush and supported or extended by President Obama (20%); and
New policies from President Obama (10%).
CBO data is based only on current law, so policy proposals that have yet to be made law are not included in their analysis. The article concluded that President Obama's decisions accounted for only a "sliver" of the deterioration, but that he "...does not have a realistic plan for reducing the deficit..."[12]
So please stop trotting out that old chestnut about how Obama's spending dwarfs Bush's, because people here are far too well informed to buy into that bullshit.

(Also, if you were going to criticize wikipedia: as always, you are welcome to cite a more reputable source.)
Ugmo

Post by Ugmo »

lerxstcat wrote:Which is the vast majority of the constituency in the state of Alabama. I'm not following the campaigns over there but the horse, the farm, the gun, all will tug heartstrings in that state.

And really, they have the right to have the kind of state they want, just as the Northeastern states have the right to be more liberal. That helpos keep equilibrium within the nation when the national vote goes the opposite way of your political leanings.

You can demonize that like a 5-year-old child, or you can realize that it's a good thing that conservatives and liberals each have their own spheres of influence, parts of the country where they can live and be comfortable.
Sure, Alabamans can keep voting for the GOP and maintain their bottom-feeder ranking in just about every relevant quality-of-life category.

They would do well to start electing liberals like the Northeastern states.
lerxstcat
Needs to STFU!

Post by lerxstcat »

Ugmo wrote:
lerxstcat wrote:Which is the vast majority of the constituency in the state of Alabama. I'm not following the campaigns over there but the horse, the farm, the gun, all will tug heartstrings in that state.

Sure, Alabamans can keep voting for the GOP and maintain their bottom-feeder ranking in just about every relevant quality-of-life category.

They would do well to start electing liberals like the Northeastern states.
Alabama is actually a beautiful state with a great quality of life. You might try knowing something about a place before you ridicule it.

The fact is that Alabama is not one of the wealthy original Northeastern industrial states so it's just not as wealthy or populous as New York or Massachusetts. Unfortunately this means it can't afford to pay for as liberal of policies and lifestyles as the larger states with more population and industry. In economics they call this economy of scale.

Having lived in both liberal, rich California and poor, conservative Alabama and Mississippi, I do realize these facts of life, much as I might prefer things to be different. Now compared to when I was in my teens and early 20s, things ARE much more liberal here than they were then.

But states largely composed of rural people with just a few urban areas are inherently more conservative than the largely urbanized Northeast and the West Coast. They vote conservative because it serves their best interests better, most of the time.

My point is that even if Alabama suddenly elected all Democratic liberal politicians, they still would not have the money available to suddenly make things the same for them as they are in the Northeast. And the Feds are not going to increase Federal funding to Alabama tenfold or a hundredfold to make it so because funds are finite. They can't.
lerxstcat
Needs to STFU!

Post by lerxstcat »

Ugmo, I also want to point out that just because my own veiws have returned to much more liberal positions, it doesn't mean I immediately dismiss the other side as being of no value.

Extremists of both sides thrive on demonizing the opposition, but most people are closer to a centrist position and realize that their political opposites are NOT for the most part evil people, but well-intentioned people with a different view.

If not for my family and friends being here in the southeast, I would have definitely stayed in Southern California. Los Angeles, Santa Monica in particular, fit my lifestyle and political ethos better.

But these southern states are full of basically conservative and ALSO basically GOOD people, who believe in self-reliance but would also give you the shirt off their backs. Mississippi is the poorest state in most categories, but it is #1 in giving per capita. We don't have much but we'll share what we've got - voluntarily, not by force.

I may not agree with the political philosophy of most of my fellow Mississipians, but they're good people, the vast majority anyway.

People are people, and they disagree, but it doesn't make them monsters because they do.
Ugmo

Post by Ugmo »

lerxstcat wrote:But these southern states are full of basically conservative and ALSO basically GOOD people, who believe in self-reliance but would also give you the shirt off their backs. Mississippi is the poorest state in most categories, but it is #1 in giving per capita. We don't have much but we'll share what we've got - voluntarily, not by force.

I may not agree with the political philosophy of most of my fellow Mississipians, but they're good people, the vast majority anyway.

People are people, and they disagree, but it doesn't make them monsters because they do.
I never said they weren't! I'm sure Alabamans are great people, which is why they deserve better representation!

I'm sure you realize when I mention quality of life indicators I'm not talking about how beautiful the landscape is or how friendly the people are (which I do not doubt in the least), I'm talking about the quality of education, health services, the poverty level, etc. These are things the Southern states consistently lag behind in, which is why you'd think they would stop electing the party of "no, everything's just great the way it is" every time.
SmokeyRamone

Post by SmokeyRamone »

I've known more than a few working poor people in my life who didn't think expansive government and higher taxes were the solution to the problem. People who believe in self reliance and pulling their own weight, versus letting the government step in and take care of all their problems, even if it theoretically would have made their lives easier, which makes them more conservative than liberal, meaning they usually vote republican. Both parties are more beholden to big business these days than serving the people, but we all know that, and to a lot of people I've known, the republicans are just a little less evil than the democrats, and traditionally believe in freedom of choice, hard work and a more limited government than the dems
lerxstcat
Needs to STFU!

Post by lerxstcat »

Ugmo wrote:
lerxstcat wrote:But these southern states are full of basically conservative and ALSO basically GOOD people, who believe in self-reliance but would also give you the shirt off their backs. Mississippi is the poorest state in most categories, but it is #1 in giving per capita. We don't have much but we'll share what we've got - voluntarily, not by force.

I never said they weren't! I'm sure Alabamans are great people, which is why they deserve better representation!

I'm sure you realize when I mention quality of life indicators I'm not talking about how beautiful the landscape is or how friendly the people are (which I do not doubt in the least), I'm talking about the quality of education, health services, the poverty level, etc. These are things the Southern states consistently lag behind in, which is why you'd think they would stop electing the party of "no, everything's just great the way it is" every time.
Yeah, you use terms like "bottom-feeders" to show that you think we're nice folks. got it!

You're ignoring the "finite funding" part, Ugmo. You do realize that a state with 20 million people like New York inherently produces more wealth than a state with 3 or 4 million like Alabama, correct?

So 4 years of a spendthrift liberal administration in a poor state, could put us in the position that Greece is in within the EU right now. Because the other US states, even the liberal ones, are not gonna bump spending up to pull the state out of it.

Poverty in the south goes back all the way to the beginning. The Northeastern states are older, more established, more industrialized and more populous. The southern states were also basically kept in an economic depression by the northern states after the Civil War until probabply the start of WWII.

The south was once solidly Democratic, did you know that? But the Democrats didn't do much for us either, which is why most southern states switched. But again, it didn't really matter.

Today we are starting to get some economic growth, mainly because businesses move here for the more conservative and business-friendly environment. So people can have jobs - not as well-paying as those in the north, but jobs.

Your opinion that our problems would be solved by voting in liberal administrations ignores most of the realities of the last 150 years.
Crazy Levi
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by Crazy Levi »

lerxstcat wrote: The south was once solidly Democratic, did you know that? But the Democrats didn't do much for us either, which is why most southern states switched.
Holy fucking shit in a handbasket.

The ONLY fucking reason the backwards racists in the South "switched" was because of the fact that the Democrats went with the Civil Rights movement in the 1950s and 1960s. That's a fact.

Republicans couldn't get elected in the South for 100 years because of Lincoln, but latching onto the segregationist movement during the civil rights struggle fixed that, but good.

Certainly you know LBJ's famous quote when he signing the Civil Rights Act in the 1960s..."We've [the Dems] have lost the South for a generation." He was only about 2 or 3 generations off.

You aren't the first. I went to college in South Carolina and I was surprised by how many southerners (including young people) were comepletly ignorant about the reasons the Republicans fell out of favor, and back into favor, in the South.

Anyhow, it sounds like Lerx is solidly back in the "conservative camp" after a brief flirtation with being a liberal due to some liberal pussy he was getting a year or so back.