Never let a good crisis go to waste.

Post your thoughts and comments on terrorism, war, and political shit like that.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

Nevermind
Recording Debut Album

Never let a good crisis go to waste.

Post by Nevermind »

Rahm Emanuel
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yeA_kHHLow

Congress is getting ready to quadruple--to 32 cents a barrel--a tax on oil used to help finance cleanups. This will end up raising $11 billion over the next decade.
http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id ... _article=1

What the democrat congress is too stupid to realize, is that a tax on a company ultimately gets passed down to the consumer. This is essentially taxing Americans, increasing our prices, for the failures of BP.

This is the first oil leak of this type since Santa Barbara in 1969. That makes 41 years between incidents. What do you think that the chances for another incident like this in the near future are, let alone in the next 41 years ? But, in the meantime, our government collects it's new taxes? What do you think the government will do with this money? Put it in a savings account somewhere where it can draw interest? Right............and when and if another spill like this comes along the money will be nowhere to be found.
MasterOfMeatPuppets
MSX Tour Support Act

Re: Never let a good crisis go to waste.

Post by MasterOfMeatPuppets »

They are not as rare as you claim.
http://home.versatel.nl/the_sims/rig/i-blowout.htm
Oil rig accidents in general are not uncommon.
http://www.oilrigdisasters.co.uk/
What should they do? Hope the next oil company that has a blowout will agree to pay cleanup cost beyond the cap like BP has or let the coastline be destroyed? Guess who's paying for BP to clean this current mess? You are a dumbass if you believe BP isn't passing this buck down to consumers just because it isn't a tax.
ImageImage
Ugmo
Doing Package Tours in Theaters

Post by Ugmo »

Nevermind wrote:What the democrat congress is too stupid to realize, is that a tax on a company ultimately gets passed down to the consumer. This is essentially taxing Americans, increasing our prices, for the failures of BP.
Get a horse.
VinnieKulick
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by VinnieKulick »

MasterOfMeatPuppets wrote: What should they do? Hope the next oil company that has a blowout will agree to pay cleanup cost beyond the cap like BP has or let the coastline be destroyed? Guess who's paying for BP to clean this current mess? You are a dumbass if you believe BP isn't passing this buck down to consumers just because it isn't a tax.
What should they do? Eliminate the cap entirely. Why should tax payers foot the bill for companies mistakes?
ImageImage
SmokingGun
Headlining Clubs

Post by SmokingGun »

Ugmo wrote:
Nevermind wrote:What the democrat congress is too stupid to realize, is that a tax on a company ultimately gets passed down to the consumer. This is essentially taxing Americans, increasing our prices, for the failures of BP.
Get a horse.
Or one of these:

Ugmo

Post by Ugmo »

I get the feeling this thing is kicking Obama's ass.

I get the feeling a lot of things are kicking Obama's ass at the moment.
MasterOfMeatPuppets
MSX Tour Support Act

VinnieKulick wrote:
MasterOfMeatPuppets wrote: What should they do? Hope the next oil company that has a blowout will agree to pay cleanup cost beyond the cap like BP has or let the coastline be destroyed? Guess who's paying for BP to clean this current mess? You are a dumbass if you believe BP isn't passing this buck down to consumers just because it isn't a tax.
What should they do? Eliminate the cap entirely. Why should tax payers foot the bill for companies mistakes?
Ask Sen. Lisa Murkowski (R-Alaska) and Sen. James Inhofe (R-Oklahoma). They're blocking it to protect business. I thought you would be down with that. :lol:
ImageImage
VinnieKulick

Post by VinnieKulick »

Why would I be down with a company passing it's expenses and failures onto tax payers?
ImageImage
Ugmo

Post by Ugmo »

VinnieKulick wrote:Why would I be down with a company passing it's expenses and failures onto tax payers?
I hope you're in favor of stronger regulation then, because deregulation invariably leads to bailouts!
VinnieKulick

Post by VinnieKulick »

I'd be more for the actual regulations that we have being enforced and the drilling without any prescreening being stopped.
ImageImage
MasterOfMeatPuppets
MSX Tour Support Act

VinnieKulick wrote:I'd be more for the actual regulations that we have being enforced and the drilling without any prescreening being stopped.
Here's another chance for you to throw the GOP under the bus after supporting them so long and faithfully.
Most of the blame for the BP oil disaster rests with BP, Big Oil, and its strong-arm supporters in Congress for the voluntary, “trust us,” self-regulation we have today (see St. Petersburg Times: “It’s becoming increasingly evident that self-regulation has not worked”). Some of the blame certainly resides with the Minerals Management Service, which became absurdly cozy with the industry under the Cheney-Bush administration (see “Flashback to 2008 MMS sex-for-oil scandal“).

That doesn’t let the Obama administration off the hook entirely. In theory they could have cleaned up the MMS from day one, but in practice Republicans made that task infinitely harder.
http://climateprogress.org/2010/05/24/b ... t-service/
ImageImage