France bans women from wearing Burkas

Post your thoughts and comments on terrorism, war, and political shit like that.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

krismetal
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

France bans women from wearing Burkas

Post by krismetal »

US should do the same!!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldne ... ublic.html

Wearing a burka in public is set to become illegal across France after senators passed a nationwide ban.

The country’s upper house voted by 246 votes to one in favour of the measure, although there were a number of abstentions.

This means that a measure banning full face Islamic veils, also including the niqab, taken by the National Assembly, the lower house, in July was ratified.
Two Muslim women in burkas in Douai, northern France. The country's upper house has ratified the ban on women from wearing full veils in public with effect from next spring

Forbidden: Two Muslim women in burkas in Douai, northern France. The country's upper house has ratified the ban on women from wearing full veils in public with effect from next spring

It followed President Nicolas Sarkozy pledging to outlaw the ‘walking coffin’ which is ‘not welcome’ in France, and which he blames for causing all kinds of social tensions.

Women who defy the planned law face fines of up to £125, or being ordered to attend citizenship classes.

If a man, like a husband or a brother, is convicted of forcing a woman to wear a veil he will be fined £24,000 or jailed for a year.

These sentences, which would be doubled if the ‘victim’ is a minor, are designed to avoid men subjugating women.
French President Nicolas Sarkozy argues that the law is aimed at getting all Muslims to integrate fully into French society

Burka ban: French President Nicolas Sarkozy argues that the law is aimed at getting all Muslims to integrate fully into French society

The measure will be become effective in the spring of 2011, subject to a six-month period of mediation, and possible appeals.

Mr Sarkozy has argued that the law, which would apply to tourists arriving from countries such as Britain, is aimed at getting all Muslims to integrate fully into French society.

But many have argued that the ban will only apply to around 2000 Muslims living on out-of-town housing estates near major cities like Paris and Lyon.

They say Mr Sarkozy has only introduced it so as to stir up distrust of Islam, leaving members of France’s 5million-plus Muslim community feeling alienated and discriminated against.

Today some Muslim women were claiming they would stay at home to avoid exposing their faces.

‘There is no way I’m going out if I can’t cover my face,’ said Aicha, 38, from Juvisy, on the outskirts of Paris.

‘The ban is completely unfair and, indeed, illegal. It is designed to stigmatise Muslim women and to make us feel like criminals.’

Although the ban received cross-party support, some claim that it violates France’s civil liberties.

The Conseil d'Etat, France's highest administrative body, advised in May against the legislation because there is ‘no incontestable legal basis’ for a nationwide ban on veils.

The bill was carefully worded to try and avoid such legal problems. It is called ‘Forbidding the Dissimulation of the Face in the Public Space’, and makes no mention of the words ‘woman’or ‘veil’.

Because France is a secular society there are no mentions of the words ‘Muslim’ nor ‘Islam’ either.

Plans for a similar ban in Britain have been suggested by the UK Independence Party and at least one Tory backbencher.
KneelandBobDylan
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Re: France bans women from wearing Burkas

Post by KneelandBobDylan »

Wait, I thought right wingers hated everything to do with those beret wearing, baguette eating frogs.
MasterOfMeatPuppets
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by MasterOfMeatPuppets »

Wow, krismetal. I never pegged you for a cheese-eating surrender monkey. . Enjoy your spin on the Axis of Weasels.

But, seriously, folks. Let's ditch the burqas... along with the magic underwear Mormons wear.
ImageImage
SeminiferousButtNoid
Certified Asshole

Post by SeminiferousButtNoid »

The ban is violation of religious freedom, pure and simple. That law would be struck down over here by SCOTUS 9-0, guaranteed.
GreatWhiteSnake wrote:I'm 46 and my dad's 67 and we kiss each other on the mouth and my 9 yo old son and I do too. It's because we love each other. A lot. And could give a shit what anyone else thinks about us kissing on the mouth.
WhiteHouseSubsAC
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by WhiteHouseSubsAC »

SeminiferousButtNoid wrote:The ban is violation of religious freedom, pure and simple. That law would be struck down over here by SCOTUS 9-0, guaranteed.
It's a reaction to the muslim youth there acting like animals. Misguided but I kind of respect the fact that they're trying to preserve their society.
HeavyMetalZombie666 wrote:Of course your asshole is going to be sore when you volunteer for an asspounding and not set any boundaries at all.
FearsOfGun
Purr. Purr. Purr.

Post by FearsOfGun »

How is this going to help women's rights? The only thing it's going to do is further isolate women and make any kind of assimilation less likely.
I’m forever near a stereo saying, ‘What the fuck is this garbage?’ And the answer is always the Red Hot Chili Peppers.

- Nick Cave

FearsOfGun is a chick.
Skate4RnR
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by Skate4RnR »

Those poor women. They live in the Middle East and they're buried up to their necks and rocked in the face. Then they move to the city of romance and they can't wear their burkas? I wear ski masks in convenience stores around midnight in the summer time, it's cool. :lol:
ImageImageImage
bane
Threesome with Pam and Donna

Post by bane »

krismetal wrote:US Should do the same!!
Yeah, because it is so American to legislate what people are allowed to wear in public. "Conform I say, conform!!!!" I love how they try to disguise blatant prejudice as "It's for their own good, we're protecting women's rights!" You people are fucking scary.
lerxstcat
Needs to STFU!

Post by lerxstcat »

All they are doing for these women is imprisoning them in their homes, or exposing them to reprisal from their men if they obey the law and go out in public with their faces exposed.

Funny thing about this relating to the US though... in my area we had a bank robber about a year ago who wore big sunglasses and baseball capps to disguise himself.

Now, in a roughly 100-mile radius from here, when you walk into the band there's a sign instructing you to remove your sunglasses and/or hats or visors or that reason. I haven't tried to defy it, it's not a big deal - but it IS a violation of rights.
WhiteHouseSubsAC
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by WhiteHouseSubsAC »

bane wrote:
Yeah, because it is so American to legislate what people are allowed to wear in public. "Conform I say, conform!!!!" I love how they try to disguise blatant prejudice as "It's for their own good, we're protecting women's rights!" You people are fucking scary.
Aren't you in Houston? How did you feel about the city trying to ban saggy pants?
HeavyMetalZombie666 wrote:Of course your asshole is going to be sore when you volunteer for an asspounding and not set any boundaries at all.
bane

Post by bane »

lerxstcat wrote:
Funny thing about this relating to the US though... in my area we had a bank robber about a year ago who wore big sunglasses and baseball capps to disguise himself.

Now, in a roughly 100-mile radius from here, when you walk into the band there's a sign instructing you to remove your sunglasses and/or hats or visors or that reason. I haven't tried to defy it, it's not a big deal - but it IS a violation of rights.
I don't see that as being much different than "No shoes, No shirt, No service", or any establishment with a dress code.
Skate4RnR

Post by Skate4RnR »

Honestly, I hate to say it but nobody wants them around. :lol:
ImageImageImage
bane

Post by bane »

WhiteHouseSubsAC wrote:
bane wrote:
Aren't you in Houston? How did you feel about the city trying to ban saggy pants?
I vaguely recall hearing about that, but I don't remember it going very far. I live in the burbs though, outside city limits, so I don't pay much attention to city council shit. I hate saggy pants with a passion. I saw some idiot the other day putting gas in his car with his pants literally belted around his knees. He looked like a moron, kind of reminded me of that old "Short People" sketch, and I have an ongoing battle with my two teenage sons about the issue ("Pull up your fucking pants!!!!" is an ongoing refrain in my house), but I don't think it's any of the government's business what people wear as long as it isn't obscene.
Ugmo
Doing Package Tours in Theaters

Post by Ugmo »

bane wrote:I vaguely recall hearing about that, but I don't remember it going very far. I live in the burbs though, outside city limits, so I don't pay much attention to city council shit. I hate saggy pants with a passion. I saw some idiot the other day putting gas in his car with his pants literally belted around his knees. He looked like a moron, kind of reminded me of that old "Short People" sketch, and I have an ongoing battle with my two teenage sons about the issue ("Pull up your fucking pants!!!!" is an ongoing refrain in my house), but I don't think it's any of the government's business what people wear as long as it isn't obscene.
:shock:

Didn't you raise your teenage sons to be rockers?
bane

Post by bane »

Ugmo wrote:
bane wrote:I vaguely recall hearing about that, but I don't remember it going very far. I live in the burbs though, outside city limits, so I don't pay much attention to city council shit. I hate saggy pants with a passion. I saw some idiot the other day putting gas in his car with his pants literally belted around his knees. He looked like a moron, kind of reminded me of that old "Short People" sketch, and I have an ongoing battle with my two teenage sons about the issue ("Pull up your fucking pants!!!!" is an ongoing refrain in my house), but I don't think it's any of the government's business what people wear as long as it isn't obscene.

:lol: The thing about teenagers is they are going to listen to and dress the opposite of how you want them to dude. Does any of this sound familiar?:"Boy, your pants are too damn tight! Cut that damn hair, you look like a Goddamn girl!! Those Van Whosit boys are butchering that Roy Orbison song, and what the hell are those bunch of Motley girls doing destroying that Beatles number? Sounds like a bunch of damn noise! Gotdamn kids today!!!!" Yeah, I've officially become my Dad.
lerxstcat
Needs to STFU!

Post by lerxstcat »

bane wrote:
Ugmo wrote:

:lol: The thing about teenagers is they are going to listen to and dress the opposite of how you want them to dude. Does any of this sound familiar?:"Boy, your pants are too damn tight! Cut that damn hair, you look like a Goddamn girl!! Those Van Whosit boys are butchering that Roy Orbison song, and what the hell are those bunch of Motley girls doing destroying that Beatles number? Sounds like a bunch of damn noise! Gotdamn kids today!!!!" Yeah, I've officially become my Dad.

:lol: :lol: :lol: That's fuckin' beautiful!
Landshark2000
Headlining a Theater Tour

Post by Landshark2000 »

bane wrote:
Ugmo wrote:

I spit my Menage out reading that ... barely missing my laptop. Thanks Bane.

This is an actual liquor store east of Memphis ...

IDIAMINDADA wrote:Take your child, and leave him in the woods....he has a better chance being raised by a pack of homosexual squirrels.
Goddamn Electric
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by Goddamn Electric »

Landshark2000 wrote:This is an actual liquor store east of Memphis ...

I see that they have a Cruzan Rum ad featuring Kenny Chesney plastered on the door...at least this shows they let in fags. Skate4RnR can still get his drink on.
Mr. MiniMite
Having Slaughter Open for You

Post by Mr. MiniMite »

SeminiferousButtNoid wrote:The ban is violation of religious freedom, pure and simple.
Dressing like that in public places is a threat to security. In Spain, some towns are starting to ban it too, at least in administration buildings.
Skate4RnR

Post by Skate4RnR »

Goddamn Electric wrote:
Landshark2000 wrote:This is an actual liquor store east of Memphis ...

I see that they have a Cruzan Rum ad featuring Kenny Chesney plastered on the door...at least this shows they let in fags. Skate4RnR can still get his drink on.
Thanks for the heads up man, I'm gonna go write a bad check!

My grandpa owned a pizza place and had a thing hanging up with everyone's bad checks on it. It was pretty funny.
ImageImageImage
lerxstcat
Needs to STFU!

Post by lerxstcat »

Mr. MiniMite wrote:
SeminiferousButtNoid wrote:The ban is violation of religious freedom, pure and simple.
Dressing like that in public places is a threat to security. In Spain, some towns are starting to ban it too, at least in administration buildings.
Even if freedom of religion IS in the French constitution, I'm sure they are nowhere near as wedded to the idea as we are. Our country was basically colonized by people who did not want to belong to the Church of England. France has been a nation for over a thousand years and it's not a central concept for them the way it is for us. They can be more practical about it - though trying to play this up as being pro women's rights is ridiculous. I see the security angle, but Muslim women will be forced by their men to stay home now.
Skate4RnR

Post by Skate4RnR »

Good, they need to stay home. Keep their asshole hubbies there too they stink.
ImageImageImage
makaveli
Headlining Clubs

Post by makaveli »

Wait.....don't we want those ugly French women covered head to toe?
ImageImage
Skate4RnR

Post by Skate4RnR »

makaveli wrote:Wait.....don't we want those ugly French women covered head to toe?
They need to shave armpits.
ImageImageImage
MasterOfMeatPuppets
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by MasterOfMeatPuppets »

Skate4RnR wrote:
makaveli wrote:Wait.....don't we want those ugly French women covered head to toe?
They need to shave armpits.
They should weave their armpit hair into burqas.
ImageImage