Mitt argues for more U.S. intervention in Syria, Egypt

Post your thoughts and comments on terrorism, war, and political shit like that.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

Turner Coates
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Mitt argues for more U.S. intervention in Syria, Egypt

Post by Turner Coates »

http://www.newsday.com/elections/mitt-r ... -1.4086147

WASHINGTON - Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney is proposing the U.S. take a more assertive role in Syria, put conditions on aid to Egypt and tighten sanctions on Iran as he looks to use a planned foreign policy address to paint President Barack Obama as a weak leader who has limited America's influence on global affairs.

Declaring that "it's time to change course in the Middle East" and accusing Obama of "passivity," Romney on Monday plans to call for the U.S. to work with other countries to arm rebels in Syria with weapons that can defeat the "tanks, helicopters and fighter jets" that make up President Bashir al-Assad's army. Romney also plans to call for tougher sanctions on Iran than those already in place, and condition aid to Egypt on continued support for their peace treaty with neighboring Israel. He will emphasize his commitment to a two-state solution for peace between Israelis and Palestinians, a process he dismissed in during a secretly videotaped fundraiser in May.

Romney plans to make the comments at a major foreign policy speech at the Virginia Military Institute. His campaign released excerpts of his prepared speech in advance. Aides previewing the speech in a conference call with reporters emphasized that the Republican, who took a hawkish tone throughout the GOP primary, would outline a "mainstream" foreign policy vision.

I reckon all songs are folk songs. I ain't never heard no horses singing any.
DEATH ROW JOE
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Re: Mitt argues for more U.S. intervention in Syria, Egypt

Post by DEATH ROW JOE »

Wheresthestagemanager? wrote:He will emphasize his commitment to a two-state solution for peace between Israelis and Palestinians, a process he dismissed in during a secretly videotaped fundraiser in May.
Another opportunity for Obama to mention this 47% tape.

Here's the transcript from the 47% fund raiser:

Audience member: How do you think that the Palestinian problem can be solved, and what are you going to do about it?

Romney: I'm torn by two perspectives in this regard. One is the one which I've had for some time, which is that the Palestinians have no interest whatsoever in establishing peace. And that the pathway to peace is almost unthinkable to accomplish. Now, why do I say that? Some might say well just let the Palestinians have the West Bank and have security and set up a separate nation for the Palestinians. And then come a couple of thorny questions. And I don't have a map here to look at the geography. But the border between Israel and the West Bank is obviously right there, right next to Tel Aviv, which is the financial capital, the industrial capital of Israel.

The challenge is the other side of the West Bank…the other side of the West Bank, the other side of what would be this new Palestinian state would either be Syria at one point or Jordan. And, of course, the Iranians would want to do through the West Bank exactly what they did through Lebanon and what they did in Gaza. Which is the Iranians would want to bring missiles and armament into the West Bank and potentially threaten Israel.

So Israel, of course, would have to say that can't happen. We've got to keep the Iranians from bringing weaponry into the West Bank. Well, the Palestinians are going to say, "We're not an independent nation if Israel is able to come in and tell us what can land at our airport." These are problems, and they're very hard to solve, alright?

And I look at the Palestinians not wanting to see peace anyway, for political purposes, committed to the destruction and elimination of Israel, and these thorny issues, and I say there's just no way.
tin00can
Headlining Clubs

Post by tin00can »

He also wants 40 more F-22s. Dude loves him some military.
DEATH ROW JOE

Post by DEATH ROW JOE »

Mitt's Neo-Con Rant. Looks like he is hell bent on a war with Syria and Iran. He'll massively increase defense spending and pay for it by killing Big Bird. This campaign is a joke.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/ ... olicy.html

"it is the responsibility of our President to use America's great power to shape history"

"The President has failed to lead in Syria"

"We cannot support our friends and defeat our enemies in the Middle East when our words are not backed up by deeds, when our defense spending is being arbitrarily and deeply cut"

"no enemy that attacks America will question our resolve to defeat them... and no one anywhere, friend or foe, will doubt America's capability to back up our words"

"I will restore our Navy to the size needed to fulfill our missions by building 15 ships per year, including three submarines. I will implement effective missile defenses to protect against threats. And on this, there will be no flexibility with Vladimir Putin."

"I will work with our partners to identify and organize those members of the opposition who share our values and ensure they obtain the arms they need to defeat Assad's tanks, helicopters, and fighter jets."

"Finally, I will recommit America to the goal of a democratic, prosperous Palestinian state living side by side in peace and security with the Jewish state of Israel."

Gamblers on Intrade respond to speech by putting money on Obama.

Barack Obama
66.8%
Today's Change: +3.3
Shares Traded: 1,488,001

Mitt Romney
33.4%
Today's Change: -3.5
Shares Traded: 1,607,719
Supersonic
Showcasing for A&R Reps

Post by Supersonic »

tin00can wrote:He also wants 40 more F-22s. Dude loves him some military.
Have Al-Qaeda acquired some MIGs?
Turner Coates

Post by Turner Coates »

Supersonic wrote:
Have Al-Qaeda acquired some MIGs?
No, but they're working on some bad ass slingshots, so we'd better nuke 'em before it's too late.

MotleyMaiden
Doing 20 Questions with Metal Sludge

Post by MotleyMaiden »

Terrific. just what we need. 40 more jets that cost $143 million a pop. Considering not a single one has seen combat yet, that money will certainly be worth going deeper into debt to China for. And definitely worth killing off Big Bird for.
http://avatars.jurko.net/
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Love dogs. Hate Trump supporters
KneelandBobDylan
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by KneelandBobDylan »

War Pigs!
Luminiferous

Post by Luminiferous »

MotleyMaiden wrote:

Terrific. just what we need. 40 more jets that cost $143 million a pop. Considering not a single one has seen combat yet, that money will certainly be worth going deeper into debt to China for. And definitely worth killing off Big Bird for.
But they look cool doing those flyovers at football games!
WhiteHouseSubsAC
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by WhiteHouseSubsAC »

MotleyMaiden wrote:

What does Michelle Bachmann say about this?
HeavyMetalZombie666 wrote:Of course your asshole is going to be sore when you volunteer for an asspounding and not set any boundaries at all.
Turner Coates

Post by Turner Coates »

WhiteHouseSubsAC wrote:
MotleyMaiden wrote:

What does Michelle Bachmann say about this?
She says,"More jets means more jobs for pilots, mechanics....and flight attendants".

Skate4RnR

Post by Skate4RnR »

He did his fucking part, he protested the anti-war protestors during Vietnam.
ImageImageImage
brotherplanet
Show Me Your Dick

Post by brotherplanet »

He's a bit of a nut.