What are sensible gun laws?

Post your thoughts and comments on terrorism, war, and political shit like that.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

Danzig in the Dark
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

What are sensible gun laws?

Post by Danzig in the Dark »

It's a phrase used often, but what does it mean to you?
ImageImage
vlad
MSX Tour Support Act

Re: What are sensible gun laws?

Post by vlad »

That's a good question. I forget which mass shooting this past year (how sad is that....they all run together), the shooter had 6000 rounds of ammo. Seriously, that should have been a red flag. He bought it online, etc.

Do people really need 100 round mags or drums..for "self-defense"? The mother of the latest killer was a "survivalist"..what's that show, Doomsday Preppers or something like that. She believed in an impending economic collapse, yada, yada..bought the Bushmaster, etc for "protection"...that worked fabulously. :roll: I suppose that a zombie apocalypse might require such weapons, but until I see Congress take up this threat, I'll still think that that stuff is not needed or should be available.

Gohmert, that wingnut Congressman from Texas, said Americans needed to armed against their own government. It's like they watched "Red Dawn" too many times. If, by some bizzarro stretch, the US government, actually the military "turned on the people, they have tanks, missiles, drones....and a fucking air force. Wolverines!

Of course, that mindset has only gotten stronger since Obama was elected, for whatever reason. There's a strain of the Tea Party that believes that, see Gohmert.

WHich brings me to the mindset that needs to be changed in this country. The frontier is gone....the British left 200 years ago. Give me liberty or give me death....that phrase seems to have devolved to gun ownership and no other liberties...

We do glorify violence in our culture....

Just mumbling....but the conversation does need to take place..and fuck that "too soon" crap....like I said in another post, is it too soon to talk about Aurora, or the Sikh Temple or...crap I can't even keep them staright anymore.
My bubbie, king of the hill 1999-2013
LJP 2002-2014

Quick beats in an icy heart
Catch colt draws a coffin cart
There he goes and now here she starts
Crazy Levi

Post by Crazy Levi »

Danzig in the Dark wrote:It's a phrase used often, but what does it mean to you?
Just off the top of my head-

Outright ban on the sale or resale of automatic or semi-auto assault rifles, or handguns. Domestic production and sale of civilian versions of these weapons would be outlawed, as would importation.

Background checks and waiting periods for gun shows, or any private sale of weapons. Any personal sales of weapons without these safeguards should be illegal.

Gun nuts LOVE comparing guns to cars, right?

Well, how about a similar system of licensing and insurance?

You would need to pass certain tests - including eye exams, and mental fitness - to get a license to own weapons. This license would need to be renewed with the same tests every few years. Just because you aren't insane today doesn't mean you won't be tomorrow. It's perfectly leagal for an Alzheimer's patient to own a gun. That's not sensible.

Also in the "they are just like cars" vein, you need insurance to cover the possible costs incurred by your gun ownership. Besides the obvious loss of life guns cause, there are financial aspects. Burying dead 6-year olds ISN'T cheap. Paying for destruction of property or paying off lawsuits due to irresponsible gun use isn't cheap.

Therefore, it's irresponsible to allow individuals to own and operate them without insurance...just like cars!

So lets say someone living in your home is batshit crazy, or has a criminal record, is on mindbending drugs, or has a record of violence or making threats., or is an alzheimer's patient, well, your risk is higher. Let's say you once shot yourself in the foot while cleaning your gun.

Like a bad driver, you have to pay more for insurance, per deadly weapon you own. A number of things would go into determining "risk factor." If your risk is high enough, you can't get insurance, and you can't have weapons in your household.

Sensible enough?
MickeyG
Doing 20 Questions with Metal Sludge

Post by MickeyG »

Yeah, I like the idea of stopping people owning guns who have someone unstable or a felony that has access to their home. It made it so easy for this guy. Sounds like his mother was a bit of a nut herself.
BodyBagz
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by BodyBagz »

Crazy Levi wrote:
Danzig in the Dark wrote:It's a phrase used often, but what does it mean to you?
Just off the top of my head-

Outright ban on the sale or resale of automatic or semi-auto assault rifles, or handguns. Domestic production and sale of civilian versions of these weapons would be outlawed, as would importation.

Background checks and waiting periods for gun shows, or any private sale of weapons. Any personal sales of weapons without these safeguards should be illegal.

Gun nuts LOVE comparing guns to cars, right?

Well, how about a similar system of licensing and insurance?

You would need to pass certain tests - including eye exams, and mental fitness - to get a license to own weapons. This license would need to be renewed with the same tests every few years. Just because you aren't insane today doesn't mean you won't be tomorrow. It's perfectly leagal for an Alzheimer's patient to own a gun. That's not sensible.

Also in the "they are just like cars" vein, you need insurance to cover the possible costs incurred by your gun ownership. Besides the obvious loss of life guns cause, there are financial aspects. Burying dead 6-year olds ISN'T cheap. Paying for destruction of property or paying off lawsuits due to irresponsible gun use isn't cheap.

Therefore, it's irresponsible to allow individuals to own and operate them without insurance...just like cars!

So lets say someone living in your home is batshit crazy, or has a criminal record, is on mindbending drugs, or has a record of violence or making threats., or is an alzheimer's patient, well, your risk is higher. Let's say you once shot yourself in the foot while cleaning your gun.

Like a bad driver, you have to pay more for insurance, per deadly weapon you own. A number of things would go into determining "risk factor." If your risk is high enough, you can't get insurance, and you can't have weapons in your household.

Sensible enough?
What I bolded and underlined will never see the light of day in the US. Full Auto rifles and hand guns have already been banned, and semi-auto rifles in "assault rifle" attire doesnt do anything as there are still rifles built primarily for hunting that are semi-auto in function, but dont look the same as the "assault type" rifles.

The best you can hope for is a ban on high capacity magazines (clips for you that dont know the difference between the 2) with a limitation in the 10 round range for rifles and 7 for pistols.
Stiffer and more inclusive background checks are a no-brainer. I do think the Mental Health aspect should be investigated as well.
"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master." - George Washington
WhiteHouseSubsAC
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by WhiteHouseSubsAC »

I'd like to see the sale of firearms and ammunition taxed to pay for Wayne LaPierre's "Every school needs an armed guard" plan. Put your money where your mouth is, NRA members.
HeavyMetalZombie666 wrote:Of course your asshole is going to be sore when you volunteer for an asspounding and not set any boundaries at all.
tin00can
Headlining Clubs

Post by tin00can »

WhiteHouseSubsAC wrote:I'd like to see the sale of firearms and ammunition taxed to pay for Wayne LaPierre's "Every school needs an armed guard" plan. Put your money where your mouth is, NRA members.

That's actually a sensible idea. Plus, it'll piss off the "anti-tax" republicans while still giving them little room to complain. They'll probably suggest an alternative of taxing broadway shows to pay for it, to piss off the homos.
RATTdrools
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by RATTdrools »

Repeal the 2nd Amendment and ban all guns except for police and military. The 2nd Amendment is outdated and was written when there was no electricity or running water. There was the threat of British invasion and bands of Indians that may attack. NONE of that applies anymore!

If it's sensible enough for England, Australia, Japan and many other nations then why not us?
WhiteHouseSubsAC
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by WhiteHouseSubsAC »

tin00can wrote:
WhiteHouseSubsAC wrote:I'd like to see the sale of firearms and ammunition taxed to pay for Wayne LaPierre's "Every school needs an armed guard" plan. Put your money where your mouth is, NRA members.

That's actually a sensible idea. Plus, it'll piss off the "anti-tax" republicans while still giving them little room to complain. They'll probably suggest an alternative of taxing broadway shows to pay for it, to piss off the homos.
I'd get behind that.

get it? get behind a tax on homos?
HeavyMetalZombie666 wrote:Of course your asshole is going to be sore when you volunteer for an asspounding and not set any boundaries at all.
BodyBagz

Post by BodyBagz »

RATTrules wrote:Repeal the 2nd Amendment and ban all guns except for police and military. The 2nd Amendment is outdated and was written when there was no electricity or running water. There was the threat of British invasion and bands of Indians that may attack. NONE of that applies anymore!

If it's sensible enough for England, Australia, Japan and many other nations then why not us?
The 2nd Amendment was written specifically to ensure the American Citizenry a means by which to fight against enemies, foreign and domestic...you know, kinda like they did against the British Empire back in the Colonial days leading up to the Revolutionary War and the forming of the United States.

The 2nd Amendment will never be repealed. Only a jaded asinine misfit like yourself would even be thinking of repealing it.

Heres what the Framers of the Constitution and Men of the Day had to say about citizens and arms...quite a fucking difference to these new "law makers" in Congress..

"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed – unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." – James Madison

"The Constitution shall never be construed … to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." – Samuel Adams

"A strong body makes a strong mind. As to the species of exercise I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Let your gun, therefore, be the constant companion of your walks." – Thomas Jefferson

"The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people; that... it is their right and duty to be at all times armed." --Thomas Jefferson

And lastly, this nice little piece of history that often gets overlooked..."We should not forget that the spark which ignited the American Revolution was caused by the British attempt to confiscate the firearms of the colonists." - Patrick Henry
"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master." - George Washington
tin00can
Headlining Clubs

Post by tin00can »

Maybe you could also post their thoughts about the internet, daylight savings time, and drunk driving laws. You know, other things that are important to us today.
RATTdrools
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by RATTdrools »

The 2nd Amendment says as part of a "well regulated militia". Dumb rednecks buying guns are NOT militia members! The 2nd Amendment is outdated and doesn't apply to current life! You KNOW if the FF could have forseen 12,000+ gun deaths a year by far leading the world they would've either written it differently or left it out!

Even a former Seattle police CHIEF came out in favor of repeal! A civilized society does not NEED guns for day to day life! If the government wants to get you they have a million ways to even if you had a 100 machine guns!
Last edited by RATTdrools on Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BD888

Post by BD888 »

Do gun owners In the US need to have all their guns registered? Also, if so, are those registers public?
Danzig in the Dark

BD888 wrote:Do gun owners In the US need to have all their guns registered?
No.
BD888 wrote: Also, if so, are those registers public?
Most likely they are available by request.
ImageImage
BodyBagz

Post by BodyBagz »

tin00can wrote:Maybe you could also post their thoughts about the internet, daylight savings time, and drunk driving laws. You know, other things that are important to us today.
Well, shouldnt those very things, in 1 way or another also be covered by the Bill of Rights? If so, then I am sure I can drum some up as they were very quote worthy men even if I do say so myself....
RATTrules wrote:The 2nd Amendment says as part of a "well regulated militia". Dumb rednecks buying guns are NOT militia members! The 2nd Amendment is outdated and doesn't apply to current life! You KNOW if the FF could have forseen 12,000+ gun deaths a year by far leading the world they would've either written it differently or left it out!

Even a former Seattle police CHIEF came out in favor of repeal! A civilized society does not NEED guns for day to day life! If the government wants to get you they have a million ways to even if you had a 100 machine guns!
Just exactly who do you think would make up a militia...Wall Street bankers, Doctors, Lawyers and Fortune 500 company CEO`s? Nope, its the fucking "dumb rednecks buying weapons"...just as it was the illiterate farmers who took up arms to fight off the Brits...again, the government of the Colonists...

If the Founding Fathers could have foreseen the population explosion in the 225+ year future, as well as the crime and lack of punishment it would heap upon the land, then they very well might have have added more provisions elsewhere as well...yet they took bold step in trying to ensure this New Country and its citizens had the means to fight off an oppressive government in the future...just as they had done in order to build that same country.

I could give a fuck what a former Seattle Police Chief has to say about this or the fucking price of shoestrings in Bangkok...his opinion is relative in terms to both issues IMHO. The 2nd Amendment may be added to, but it will never be repealed. No sitting President has the balls or stupidity to even whisper that idea out loud, let alone try to draft paperwork to set it in motion. Nor would the House and Senate ratify any such document...to do so would set forth the 2nd Civil War, and this one would be far bloodier than the 1st due to class separation as well as gun idealism rifts.

But go ahead and scream your lunacy from the rooftops...surely some other cock-eyed, bib-wearing window lickers will join in with you...
:shock:

mi·li·tia : noun
plural mi·li·tias
: a group of people who are not part of the armed forces of a country but are trained like soldiers
— mi·li·tia·man :noun, plural mi·li·tia·men /-mən/
absolutely fabulous
Headlining Clubs

Post by absolutely fabulous »

i've heard that maybe hire ex military to guard our children. i'm cool with that.
The Fiendster wrote:I hate everyone in this thread. Especially myself.

FUCK. I need a drink. :lol:
absolutely fabulous
Headlining Clubs

Post by absolutely fabulous »

Danzig in the Dark wrote:
BD888 wrote:Do gun owners In the US need to have all their guns registered?
No.
BD888 wrote: Also, if so, are those registers public?
Most likely they are available by request.
make up your mind.
The Fiendster wrote:I hate everyone in this thread. Especially myself.

FUCK. I need a drink. :lol:
RATTdrools
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by RATTdrools »

BodyBagz, the average person who buys a gun are NOT trained like soldiers! It would be much different if 2 years military service were required like it is in Israel.

Even Israel issued a statement refuting the NRA! To prove what a bunch of fucking liars the NRA is here is what Israeli's security chief said a few days ago:

In recent years restriction on gun ownership have been tightened, not relaxed.

"Israeli citizens are not allowed to carry guns unless they are serving in the army or working security-related jobs", Berko said.

http://m.nydailynews.com/1.1226401

Basically most every nation on earth has a LOT fewer guns than us and they get along just fine! Israeli's gun ownership rate is 1 in 50 while ours is 1 in 3! Even Switzerland is moving guns into depots since they realize that's a lot safer than keeping them at home!

The 2nd Amendment is no longer practical and it was written at a time when things were 180 degrees different than today! If 6.7 BILLION people can get along just fine without guns then we can too!
Hooligan
Signed One Album Deal on Indy Label

Post by Hooligan »

Here you go. Some would make the anti's happy, some won't. The biggest problem is trust. Gun folks do not trust the government. The thought is if the government knows who has what, it would just make it easier for them to confiscate it if the winds changed. If there was a way to assure gun owners that the info collected would never be used to do that, most of this would be a piece of cake.

1. Make everyone register everything they have. (NJ pretty much already does this). Have the database accessible to LEO's at local (court order for access), state and federal levels. If it isn't registered and you are caught with it, mandatory one year jail sentence.
2. No magazines with more than 10 rounds. No grandfathering, no pinned magazines. Caught with a banned mag and you get a mandatory one year sentence.
3. Background checks that include mental and criminal reviews. Local, state and federal levels. (NJ already does this in addition to collecting fingerprints). Non-citizens would not be allowed to own or carry since it's impossible to check their backgrounds properly.
4. Two guns purchases a year. If you sell off a firearm, you earn a credit towards purchasing another.
5. No face to face sales. All sales to go to a FFL for processing.
6. State and city reciprocity for CCW like a driver's license.
6a. CCW given out to those that have taken a class covering handguns. Cover everything and make them pass a skills test. Make it reasonable like a three day, three hour per day event.
7. In the event of a state emergency such as a hurricane or tornado, open carry allowed on your property allowed. No confiscations.
8. Eliminate gun free zone unless it's private property. Allow the property owner to dictate policy.
KneelandBobDylan

Post by KneelandBobDylan »

Hooligan wrote:
Here you go. Some would make the anti's happy, some won't. The biggest problem is trust. Gun folks do not trust the government. The thought is if the government knows who has what, it would just make it easier for them to confiscate it if the winds changed. If there was a way to assure gun owners that the info collected would never be used to do that, most of this would be a piece of cake.

1. Make everyone register everything they have. (NJ pretty much already does this). Have the database accessible to LEO's at local (court order for access), state and federal levels. If it isn't registered and you are caught with it, mandatory one year jail sentence.
2. No magazines with more than 10 rounds. No grandfathering, no pinned magazines. Caught with a banned mag and you get a mandatory one year sentence.
3. Background checks that include mental and criminal reviews. Local, state and federal levels. (NJ already does this in addition to collecting fingerprints). Non-citizens would not be allowed to own or carry since it's impossible to check their backgrounds properly.
4. Two guns purchases a year. If you sell off a firearm, you earn a credit towards purchasing another.
5. No face to face sales. All sales to go to a FFL for processing.
6. State and city reciprocity for CCW like a driver's license.
6a. CCW given out to those that have taken a class covering handguns. Cover everything and make them pass a skills test. Make it reasonable like a three day, three hour per day event.
7. In the event of a state emergency such as a hurricane or tornado, open carry allowed on your property allowed. No confiscations.
8. Eliminate gun free zone unless it's private property. Allow the property owner to dictate policy.
I agree with all of this, throw in a ban on assault weapons, since they are never used for hunting and I'd be perfectly fine with this.
tin00can
Headlining Clubs

Post by tin00can »

absolutely fabulous wrote:
i've heard that maybe hire ex military to guard our children. i'm cool with that.

As an ex-military I'd like to say fuck no to that. Military people aren't that special.
KneelandBobDylan

tin00can wrote:
absolutely fabulous wrote:

As an ex-military I'd like to say fuck no to that. Military people aren't that special.

Why stop at just schools. Then we can have a conservative utopian police state.

We've been close for a very, very long time anyway.
Skate4RnR

Post by Skate4RnR »

I say arm the children!
ImageImageImage
Constantine
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by Constantine »

PARANOIA LOONY OBAMA is dancing on the graves of Sandy Hooks children pushing this Communist gun grabbing agenda.
SebastianLeeDanzig wrote:He watched me bang her, trying to cock-block by howling and being a bitch in every dog-possible way. As soon as we switched to "doggy-style" he shut up immediately
bonedog
Headlining Clubs

Post by bonedog »

RATTrules wrote:Repeal the 2nd Amendment and ban all guns except for police and military.

You really want a police state, don't you? How in the hell would you suggest we get criminals to obey the law and turn in their unregistered guns? IT AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN!

The 2nd Amendment is outdated and was written when there was no electricity or running water. There was the threat of British invasion and bands of Indians that may attack. NONE of that applies anymore!

Remember a little thing called 9/11? Timothy Mcveigh? Pearl FUCKING Harbor? I would say the threat of attack against the United States is just as real now as it was at any other time in our country's history.
Hollywood's Burning wrote:A Kisstard is someone who, despite being a grown-up (in age), actually gets upset/angry about who is pretending to be a kittycat and who is pretending to be a spaceman.
Danzig in the Dark

Constantine wrote:PARANOIA LOONY OBAMA is dancing on the graves of Sandy Hooks children pushing this Communist gun grabbing agenda.
France's gun law are far more restrictive than US laws, even those Obama proposes. Therefore, you Frenchies are significantly more paranoid, loony and Communist.
jay city roller wrote:
RATTrules wrote:Repeal the 2nd Amendment and ban all guns except for police and military.

You really want a police state, don't you? How in the hell would you suggest we get criminals to obey the law and turn in their unregistered guns? IT AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN!

The 2nd Amendment is outdated and was written when there was no electricity or running water. There was the threat of British invasion and bands of Indians that may attack. NONE of that applies anymore!

Remember a little thing called 9/11? Timothy Mcveigh? Pearl FUCKING Harbor? I would say the threat of attack against the United States is just as real now as it was at any other time in our country's history.
What, no suggestions? You can copy and paste something from Alex Jones or an NRA email if independent thought on this matter is too much to ask.
ImageImage
tylamonroe
Weak Sauce

Post by tylamonroe »

Big surprise, I'm a pro gun 2nd amendment guy. That being said, I have no problem with a waiting period, required saftey training, "fingerprints" for every weapon, closing the gun show loop and periodic renewal of permits.

I would, however, like to see any of these done in partnership with the NRA and limit the feds involvement.

the 2nd ain't about hunting, or even self defense. It's about having the ability to take out the government if it ever gets too out of control. No wonder the current liberal establishments wants guns gone.
KneelandBobDylan

tylamonroe wrote:Big surprise, I'm a pro gun 2nd amendment guy. That being said, I have no problem with a waiting period, required saftey training, "fingerprints" for every weapon, closing the gun show loop and periodic renewal of permits.

I would, however, like to see any of these done in partnership with the NRA and limit the feds involvement.

the 2nd ain't about hunting, or even self defense. It's about having the ability to take out the government if it ever gets too out of control. No wonder the current liberal establishments wants guns gone.

Yeah?...good luck with that.

http://readersupportednews.org/off-site ... med-iraqis

What do you think they'd do to treasonous slackjaws?
tylamonroe
Weak Sauce

Post by tylamonroe »

KneelandBobDylan wrote:
tylamonroe wrote:Big surprise, I'm a pro gun 2nd amendment guy. That being said, I have no problem with a waiting period, required saftey training, "fingerprints" for every weapon, closing the gun show loop and periodic renewal of permits.

Yeah?...good luck with that.

http://readersupportednews.org/off-site ... med-iraqis

What do you think they'd do to treasonous slackjaws?

Oh, same thing they did at Waco, I'm sure. But if you think a well armed, organized militia couldn't take out enough low levels to force change, you might be wrong. For the record, I don't think we are there, yet.
bonedog
Headlining Clubs

Post by bonedog »

Danzig in the Dark wrote:
Constantine wrote:PARANOIA LOONY OBAMA is dancing on the graves of Sandy Hooks children pushing this Communist gun grabbing agenda.
France's gun law are far more restrictive than US laws, even those Obama proposes. Therefore, you Frenchies are significantly more paranoid, loony and Communist.
jay city roller wrote:

What, no suggestions? You can copy and paste something from Alex Jones or an NRA email if independent thought on this matter is too much to ask.
My suggestion is that you anti-gun pansies shut the fuck up about stuff you know nothing about.
Hollywood's Burning wrote:A Kisstard is someone who, despite being a grown-up (in age), actually gets upset/angry about who is pretending to be a kittycat and who is pretending to be a spaceman.