Choice Barney Frank quotes

Post your thoughts and comments on terrorism, war, and political shit like that.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

SmokingGun
Headlining Clubs

Choice Barney Frank quotes

Post by SmokingGun »

The more people, in my judgment, exaggerate a threat of safety and soundness, the more people conjure up the possibility of serious financial losses to the Treasury, which I do not see. I think we see entities that are fundamentally sound financially.
-Barney Frank

I do not think we are facing any kind of a crisis. That is, in my view, the two government-sponsored enterprises we are talking about here, Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, are not in a crisis.
-Barney Frank

Some of the critics of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac say that the problem is that the Federal Government is obligated to bail out people who might lose money in connection with them. I do not believe that we have any such obligation.
-Barney Frank

Those who argue that housing prices are now at the point of a bubble seem to be missing a very important point. Unlike previous examples, where substantial excessive inflation of prices later caused some problems, we are talking here about an entity, home ownership, homes, where there is not the degree of leverage that we have seen elsewhere.
-Barney Frank

This is not the dot-com situation. You will not see the collapse that you see when people talk about a bubble.
-Barney Frannk

I do think I do not want the same kind of focus on safety and soundness that we have in OCC [Office of the Comptroller of the Currency] and OTS [Office of Thrift Supervision]. I want to roll the dice a little bit more in this situation towards subsidized housing.
-Barney Frank

What happened is this: there are people who do not like affordable housing.
-Barney Frank
Sheep_Mafia
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Re: Choice Barney Frank quotes

Post by Sheep_Mafia »

Those are classic. He's exhibit A of what these guys were later talking about.

“I think that the responsibility that the Democrats had may rest more in resisting any efforts by Republicans in the Congress, or by me when I was President, to put some standards and tighten up a little on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac.” – Former President Bill Clinton (D-AR), September 25, 2008

“Like a lot of my Democratic colleagues I was too slow to appreciate the recklessness of Fannie and Freddie. I defended their efforts to encourage affordable homeownership when in retrospect I should have heeded the concerns raised by their regulator in 2004. Frankly, I wish my Democratic colleagues would admit when it comes to Fannie and Freddie, we were wrong.” – Congressman Artur Davis (D-AL) , September 30, 2008