U.S. Ready to Strike Syria

Post your thoughts and comments on terrorism, war, and political shit like that.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

Cyd
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

U.S. Ready to Strike Syria

Post by Cyd »

http://news.msn.com/us/hagel-military-r ... amas-order

I don't think this is a good idea. Had enough war to last a lifetime--they're hard to get out of. Cost billions of bucks and we're already bankrupt. They always say no boots on the ground, but that's never true. Tens of thousands of casualties on both sides. Not again with the chemical weapons. Ugh.

Is anybody all for this?
SebastianLeeDanzig
"UR GAY!" signed, Stevie

Re: U.S. Ready to Strike Syria

Post by SebastianLeeDanzig »

There's no coherent strategy, nor even a clear ultimate goal. They don't want to overthrow al-Assad and they won't like any of "the rebels'" ideas of starting over. Bombs on Syria won't change a fucking thing but drive relations to Iran and Russia, and consequently the whole region, further down the shitter.

So yeah, perfect preconditions to start a war, even by US standards. Once again, this is nothing but mindless flexing to hide inadequacies in diplomacy.
Dr J Jones
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by Dr J Jones »

It's a really bad idea....but so was going into Iraq...so...

Our government is too stupid to learn from our past mistakes.

Goldman/Sachs 2016
Cyd

Post by Cyd »

It's all over pay TV news now. You're right SLD, news says Russia and China are against it. Stock market went to shit today over it. Says to expect THREE days of strikes--as early as Thursday if it happens. Think maybe come Monday everything will be back to normal? Guess that all depends on whether or not we bomb 'em over the weekend. Bet a lot more folks are gonna get killed.
Stoner
Queen Bee

Post by Stoner »

Dropping bombs is the humanitarian thing to do.
Dr J Jones

Post by Dr J Jones »

Stoner wrote:Dropping bombs is the humanitarian thing to do.

We should get some sort of peace prize...

:lol:
Cyd

Post by Cyd »

Stoner, it IS hard to look at the pictures coming from Syria. For TWO years. I just wonder if all options have been considered. Peace talks? Diplomacy? Another Navy Seal intervention or bunker buster for Assad?
DEATH ROW JOE
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by DEATH ROW JOE »

Bighole wrote:Stock market went to shit today over it.
Stock market did not go to shit over Syria. It's been sliding since the end of July due to GOP debt ceiling threats. Today Lew announced the administration is not going to negotiate so the market tanked. The market lost 15% in 6 weeks over the last debt ceiling debacle this time in 2011.

The only impact a missile to Syria can have is oil prices and that was factored in weeks ago. Failure to raise the debt ceiling will cause a severe credit crisis and tank the global economy. That's what is pushing the market down the past few weeks.

Lew: Obama not negotiating over debt limit
http://www.cnbc.com/id/100990014
Dr J Jones

Post by Dr J Jones »

Cyd

Post by Cyd »

DEATH ROW JOE wrote:
Bighole wrote:Stock market went to shit today over it.
Stock market did not go to shit over Syria. It's been sliding since the end of July due to GOP debt ceiling threats. Today Lew announced the administration is not going to negotiate so the market tanked. The market lost 15% in 6 weeks over the last debt ceiling debacle this time in 2011.

The only impact a missile to Syria can have is oil prices and that was factored in weeks ago. Failure to raise the debt ceiling will cause a severe credit crisis and tank the global economy. That's what is pushing the market down the past few weeks.

Lew: Obama not negotiating over debt limit
http://www.cnbc.com/id/100990014

OK then. Glad you cleared up my hysteria. I was born worried. I got it off TV yesterday on the "Closing Bell." They lie and I buy it.
Danzig in the Dark

Post by Danzig in the Dark »

Dr J Jones wrote:Image
Explain the debt limit issue. If you can't do that, it's time for you to shut up and let the grownups talk.

This kind of partisan posturing is idiocy. It was in 2006 and it is now.
ImageImage
Dr J Jones

Post by Dr J Jones »

:lol:

That was then, this is now?

Brilliant...

I'll leave you to your grown up thoughts and conversations.
DEATH ROW JOE

Post by DEATH ROW JOE »

Dr J Jones wrote::lol:

That was then, this is now?

Brilliant...

I'll leave you to your grown up thoughts and conversations.
That was a political statement, you simpleton. Every Democrat in the Senate voted no on the debt limit in 2006. There was never a question that the debt ceiling would be raised when he made that statement. The GOP controlled the Senate and easily had enough votes, even with a few Republicans voting no. Every Democrat used the debt ceiling as an opportunity to bash the Bush administration. It had zero impact on the markets though since there was no question the debt ceiling was going up.

The circumstances now are entirely different with the GOP controlling the House and trying to pander to the idiots like you who make up the base. Now messing around with the debt ceiling has not only a negative impact on the markets but on the economy as a whole.

Senate Votes to Raise U.S. Debt Limit to Nearly $9 Trillion
By CARL HULSE
Published: March 16, 2006
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/03/16/polit ... .html?_r=0
The 52-to-48 vote, with all Democrats and a handful of Republicans voting "no," increased the debt limit by $781 billion.

Compare the Vix in 2006 to 2011. Vix went through the roof in 2011 and was unchanged in 2006 during the debt ceiling debates.

The 2011 GOP debt ceiling fiasco had almost as large a relative impact on the Vix as the financial crisis, aprox 200% increase. That's thanks to idiots like you who make up the GOP base.

Cyd

Post by Cyd »

Fox says White House is trying to rally allies. Must have international coalition to strike. UK is stepping back today. Yeah--let's all step the fuck back.

Except for that I haven't seen anything else about this.
Sheep_Mafia

Post by Sheep_Mafia »

I love that speech from Obama and he was 100% correct. Having to continually raise the debt ceiling is in fact a failure of leadership.

A failure of intellectual integrity would be like Death Row Joe and Danzig and many other ethically challenged liberals who want to say that "ha ha, that was all just political" and then act like its somehow different when the GOP does it.

As Obama said, Americans deserve better.
Danzig in the Dark

Sheep_Mafia wrote:I love that speech from Obama and he was 100% correct. Having to continually raise the debt ceiling is in fact a failure of leadership.

A failure of intellectual integrity would be like Death Row Joe and Danzig and many other ethically challenged liberals who want to say that "ha ha, that was all just political" and then act like its somehow different when the GOP does it.

As Obama said, Americans deserve better.
A real failure of intellectual integrity is the inability to understand the words of others or to intentionally lie like a motherfucker about them. This is what I said:
I wrote:This kind of partisan posturing is idiocy. It was in 2006 and it is now.
Like it or not, the debt limit will be raised. If we default on our obligations, treasury bonds and dollars won't be worth wiping your ass upon.
Last edited by Danzig in the Dark on Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
Cyd

Post by Cyd »

Boehner is in.

There are 1,100 replies of interest so far.

http://firstread.nbcnews.com/_news/2013 ... rikes?lite
John Simon Ritchie

Post by John Simon Ritchie »

Bighole wrote:Boehner is in.

There are 1,100 replies of interest so far.

http://firstread.nbcnews.com/_news/2013 ... rikes?lite

mike277
Owning stock in Raytheon does help I see.

Tue Sep 3, 2013 11:36 AM EDT
"I was looking for that great jazz note that destroyed the walls of Jericho." - The Clash, The Sound Of Sinners
Cyd

Post by Cyd »

http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013 ... syria?lite

Senate Committee authorizes limited military response in Syria.

It's a runaway freight train.
Dr J Jones

Post by Dr J Jones »

It's absolutely fuckin disgusting!
Dr J Jones

Post by Dr J Jones »

Dr J Jones

Post by Dr J Jones »

tin00can
Headlining Clubs

Post by tin00can »

And yet he still went to Vietnam.

Man, republicans suck at the internet.
Cyd

Post by Cyd »

Oil and Pipeline Geopolitics: The US-NATO Race for Syria’s Black Gold

Syria’s proven oil reserves, amounting to 2.5 billion barrels, are greater than those of all neighboring countries except Iraq: according to the U.S. Energy Information Administration’s estimation of its oil reserves. This makes Syria one of the largest producers and exporters of crude oil in the Middle East.

http://www.globalresearch.ca/oil-and-pi ... ld/5330216

I got this off Facebook. You never know where the big ideas come from. :mrgreen:
BlackCrypt
Win, Lose or Hieroglyph

Post by BlackCrypt »

The War In Syria

There are three rules of getting involved in a Civil War:
1. Don’t.
2. Pick the winning side.
3. Make sure the winning side wins.

The United States has a very dismal record in keeping to these rules and if recent activity and talk are any indication as to what’s about to happen our record will get much worse before it gets any better.

First off let’s look at winners and losers:

In the Loser category we have first and foremost the Syrian people who will now be listed as “Collateral Damage” which is a term that means they’re going to die when the bombing begins. Whatever war makes bad more war makes worse for civilians. “We had to destroy the village in order to save it.”
Israel comes in second because when this war breaks out there is almost a certainty that someone is going to try to drag Israel into it. Iran and Syria could send more missiles into Israel than anyone can guess. Loaded with Sarin we could very well be staring at the extinction of Israel in less than a month.

Jordan comes in third because when all hell breaks loose they are going to inherit a mass of refugees. This will tax the already meager resources of this tiny country to the breaking point. Either Syria, the United States, Israel, or hell, anyone with an interest in this war, might just overrun Jordan and never look back.

The United States Tax Payer is footing the bill for this war even though more people oppose it than voted for either party in the last election. With a weaken economy and an exploding national debt, the last thing we need is an open ended conflict in the Middle East.

The United States reputation. Either we go in big and get bogged down or we go in light and the bad guys survive to kill another few hundred thousand people. Desert War One or Desert War Two, either model was and is a failure.

Who win?

Iran makes out like a bandit on this one. They get into a situation where with little effort they can once again drain American blood and money on the sands of the desert without much loss. They gain the reputation of being someone who can kill Americans with impunity. As the Sunni regime in Syrian weakens the Shiites in Iran rejoice. We’re doing their dirty work for them. We gave them one country and now we’ll hand over another.

Russia wins big because they’ll help anyone who fights us and they look like the country out there protecting the little guy from the big bully. The Syrian government will survive and they’ll become a puppet state to either Russia or Iran.

The Oil Speculators win because oil will take a big jump in price in this war.

Those people in the business of war will make out nearly as well as they did in the last war, but this time they’re better prepared for it.

The idea that there is a weapon whose capabilities include the annihilation of Sarin without the possibility of that agent being released into the surrounding area is ludicrous. Under pristine conditions I would argue that it would be difficult to know how much Sarin might be destroyed and under field conditions the attack on such an agent might be in fact a delivery system. Moreover, what will happen if this substance is stored in a building and the building is partially destroyed yet the material within intact? Who would be responsible for the cleanup of a nerve agent once there has been a “regime change”?
Is the White House omniscient? Has anyone who has lived in that building shown any signs of omniscience? So far the battle cry of “Something must be done and done right away!” has left this country economically weak and morally bereft. Our attack capabilities exceeds our ability to deal with the aftermath of the destruction we mete out in the name of what our view of what is right and what is just when in the end, we discover that we are frequently wrong and nearly never able to provide justice or security for those we have attacked.

This isn’t a foreign policy. This isn’t national security. This is reactionary cowardice cloaked in military action pushed by corporate interests in the name of profit margins.

Just like the last two wars.

Take Care,
Mike
Constantine wrote:ur a fkn degenerate,
Metal Sludge wrote:It is after all, only a message board...relax!
Trist805 wrote:Chip, You owned me and I will admit defeat. I love big black cocks. Hope you are happy.
SebastianLeeDanzig
"UR GAY!" signed, Stevie

Post by SebastianLeeDanzig »

Well, Black Crypt, obviously you didn't write this, as the only political brain activity you're capable of is rehashing other idiots' bullshit, but it's quite telling what shit sources you seem to admire. Exhibit A:
BlackCrypt wrote:Iran makes out like a bandit on this one. They get into a situation where with little effort they can once again drain American blood and money on the sands of the desert without much loss. They gain the reputation of being someone who can kill Americans with impunity. As the Sunni regime in Syrian weakens the Shiites in Iran rejoice. We’re doing their dirty work for them. We gave them one country and now we’ll hand over another.
This proves right there this stupid fuck doesn't know the first fucking thing about the Middle East and shouldn't be allowed to talk any foreign policy. Syrian's regime, al-Assad's family, is Alawite, which belongs to the Shia school of Islam, just like the vast majority of the population in Iran, which is why they're friendly in the first place. The majority of the Syrian population is Sunnite, though, so this idiot author's argument is diametrically opposed to the one he actually wanted to make. Which is all the funnier because he's whining about poor Israel, as if Iran "rejoicing" over having their ally bombed will somehow make them attack less jews.

Not to mention the crap about the "tiny country of Jordan", which is bigger than Israel and Lebanon combined and already has all the refugee problems there could possibly be. If it wasn't overrun in the last two Iraq wars it's hardly going to happen now. As if that would actually bother the American right.

The only way to make a serious effort to advocate peace in the region would be actually resuming diplomacy with Iran and Russia despite your hoity-toity ideological bullshit. Until then all the pseudo humanitarian arguments are absolutely laughable, but I guess realpolitik can't be sold in the US.

But I'm getting tired of trying to explain shit. Nobody here has ever acknowledged any points I made concerning this war, because clearly none of you blowhards have any actual interest in understanding the first thing about the Middle East and its conflicts, because you're indifferent assholes who see it as nothing but a domestic partisan issue.

BlackCrypt, please stop trying to have an opinion when you're only copying it from complete clueless fucking morons anyway. Just admit you don't know shit, shut up and obey, like the good patriot you so eagerly want to be.
Cyd

Post by Cyd »

White House showed gruesome videos to senators in case for Syria strike.

Graphic.

http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013 ... ria-strike
WhiteHouseSubsAC
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by WhiteHouseSubsAC »

SebastianLeeDanzig wrote:

But I'm getting tired of trying to explain shit. Nobody here has ever acknowledged any points I made concerning this war, because clearly none of you blowhards have any actual interest in understanding the first thing about the Middle East and its conflicts, because you're indifferent assholes who see it as nothing but a domestic partisan issue.

Maybe people would take your obviously intelligent viewpoints seriously if you didn't cloak your opinions in the "contrarian devil's advocate asshole" stance that every single one of your posts reeks of. Either you're the European Sludge curmudgeon or someone with valid thoughts on the issue. Hard to have it both ways on here, either you're going to be ignored or..well, be ignored.
HeavyMetalZombie666 wrote:Of course your asshole is going to be sore when you volunteer for an asspounding and not set any boundaries at all.
BlackCrypt
Win, Lose or Hieroglyph

Post by BlackCrypt »

Pretty much every response I see from SLD is so anger filled from the offset that I dismiss everything that is said. But it is fun poking once in a while!
Constantine wrote:ur a fkn degenerate,
Metal Sludge wrote:It is after all, only a message board...relax!
Trist805 wrote:Chip, You owned me and I will admit defeat. I love big black cocks. Hope you are happy.
Danzig in the Dark

BlackCrypt wrote:Pretty much every response I see from SLD is so anger filled from the offset that I dismiss everything that is said. But it is fun poking once in a while!
I thought it was because you are impervious to fact, logic and intelligent thought. Would you really pay more attention to him if he was nicer when he told you how much a mindless moron you really are?
ImageImage