Iraq - 'We Were Looking For Somebody's Ass To Kick'

Post your thoughts and comments on terrorism, war, and political shit like that.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

Turner Coates
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Iraq - 'We Were Looking For Somebody's Ass To Kick'

Post by Turner Coates »

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/2 ... 32719.html

Former Bush Official: We Went Into Iraq Because 'We Were Looking For Somebody's Ass To Kick': Report

New York Times reporter Peter Baker is out with a new book that reportedly reveals some eyebrow-raising details about the Iraq War.

A senior official from former President George W. Bush's administration is quoted in “Days of Fire: Bush and Cheney in the White House” saying American troops went into Iraq because the U.S. was looking for a fight.

"The only reason we went into Iraq, I tell people now, is we were looking for somebody’s ass to kick. Afghanistan was too easy," the anonymous official said, according to Politico.

Politico also reports the book details the differences in Bush and Vice President Dick Cheney. The two reportedly "were on opposite sides of almost every major issue" when they left office in 2009.

According to David Frum's review of the book, Baker features stories not just of Bush and Cheney, but also of former Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld; L. Paul Bremer, the Iraqi occupation administrator; and Gen. George Casey, the Army chief of staff.

I reckon all songs are folk songs. I ain't never heard no horses singing any.
killeverything
A Drinking Fan With A Baseball Problem

Re: Iraq - 'We Were Looking For Somebody's Ass To Kick'

Post by killeverything »

Nuh uh! We went there to spread democracy or "endure freedom"; whatever the hell that means.
Turner Coates

Post by Turner Coates »

Ah.....I see.
Never mind!

tin00can
Headlining Clubs

Post by tin00can »

As much as I would like to believe this (and I tend to), whenever a variant of the phrase "has a new book out" is used in conjunction with a breaking story it's usually just hype to sell the book. So yeah.
vlad
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by vlad »

tin00can wrote:As much as I would like to believe this (and I tend to), whenever a variant of the phrase "has a new book out" is used in conjunction with a breaking story it's usually just hype to sell the book. So yeah.
My initial thought was "Well, duh...this is news?".
My bubbie, king of the hill 1999-2013
LJP 2002-2014

Quick beats in an icy heart
Catch colt draws a coffin cart
There he goes and now here she starts
David_Lee_Halen
Raw Dogged by Hagar

Post by David_Lee_Halen »

Everybody knew this from when it was all being put together. He was trying to finish the job that his Dad started, along with any oil benefits and Military installation positioning that could come out of it in the future.
Turner Coates

Post by Turner Coates »

David_Lee_Halen wrote:Everybody knew this from when it was all being put together. He was trying to finish the job that his Dad started, along with any oil benefits and Military installation positioning that could come out of it in the future.
On top of that, I think it was also about preventing Russia from gaining any warm water ports in the oil rich Middle East.

David_Lee_Halen
Raw Dogged by Hagar

Post by David_Lee_Halen »

Wheresthestagemanager? wrote:
David_Lee_Halen wrote:Everybody knew this from when it was all being put together. He was trying to finish the job that his Dad started, along with any oil benefits and Military installation positioning that could come out of it in the future.
On top of that, I think it was also about preventing Russia from gaining any warm water ports in the oil rich Middle East.
I could see that.