"I'd Still Be a Soviet Citizen if Obama Had Been President."

Post your thoughts and comments on terrorism, war, and political shit like that.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

brotherplanet
Show Me Your Dick

"I'd Still Be a Soviet Citizen if Obama Had Been President."

Post by brotherplanet »

Garry Kasparov: I'd Still Be a Soviet Citizen if Obama Had Been President Instead of Reagan

On February 22nd, former world chess champion and political activist Garry Kasparov intimated that if Barack Obama had been president instead of Ronald Reagan, the Soviet Union would still exist.

https://www.google.com/search?q=I%27ve+ ... channel=sb
DEATH ROW JOE
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Re: "I'd Still Be a Soviet Citizen if Obama Had Been Preside

Post by DEATH ROW JOE »

brotherplanet wrote:On February 22nd, former world chess champion and political activist Garry Kasparov intimated that if Barack Obama had been president instead of Ronald Reagan, the Soviet Union would still exist.
Reagan had nothing to do with the collapse of the Soviet Union.

The Soviet Union collapsed because of nationalist uprisings in the satellite states combined with the crash of oil prices in the late 80s.

Oil Prices:
1984-01-01 29.276
1985-01-01 27.973
1986-01-01 15.040
1988-01-01 15.960

November 9, 1989 Berlin Wall comes down

1991: USSR ceases to exist.

Even Bush Sr did not give Reagan full credit for the collapse of the Soviet Union. He said the following in his nomination address in 1992:

Well, make no mistake: The demise of communism wasn't a sure thing. It took the strong leadership of Presidents from both parties, including Republicans like Richard Nixon and Gerald Ford and Ronald Reagan. Without their vision and the support of the American people, the Soviet Union would be a strong superpower today, and we'd be facing a nuclear threat tonight.
Civil_war
Playing Second Stage at SludgeFest

Post by Civil_war »

DEATH ROW JOE wrote:
brotherplanet wrote:On February 22nd, former world chess champion and political activist Garry Kasparov intimated that if Barack Obama had been president instead of Ronald Reagan, the Soviet Union would still exist.
Reagan had nothing to do with the collapse of the Soviet Union.

The Soviet Union collapsed because of nationalist uprisings in the satellite states combined with the crash of oil prices in the late 80s.

Oil Prices:
1984-01-01 29.276
1985-01-01 27.973
1986-01-01 15.040
1988-01-01 15.960

November 9, 1989 Berlin Wall comes down

1991: USSR ceases to exist.

Even Bush Sr did not give Reagan full credit for the collapse of the Soviet Union. He said the following in his nomination address in 1992:

Well, make no mistake: The demise of communism wasn't a sure thing. It took the strong leadership of Presidents from both parties, including Republicans like Richard Nixon and Gerald Ford and Ronald Reagan. Without their vision and the support of the American people, the Soviet Union would be a strong superpower today, and we'd be facing a nuclear threat tonight.
While I agree that it was not all Reagan, it's a bit of a stretch to say that he had nothing to do with it. After all, it was under Reagan that the rollback policy was adopted.
DEATH ROW JOE

Post by DEATH ROW JOE »

Civil_war wrote: While I agree that it was not all Reagan, it's a bit of a stretch to say that he had nothing to do with it. After all, it was under Reagan that the rollback policy was adopted.
LMFAO, rollback did not start under Reagan. The right wing put Reagan's name on a policy that was in place since the 50s. Your statement is as ridiculous as claiming that entrepreneurship started under Reagan (something else the right claims).

Chile is an example of rollback. That happened under Nixon. Reagan had nothing to do with the nationalist uprisings (which involved peaceful rollback) in the Soviet satellite states.

But you get half a point for being familiar with a cold war word.

http://books.google.com/books?id=AX-8RW ... ck&f=false
Civil_war

Post by Civil_war »

Rollback continued under Reagan. And I have no problem reiterating my point, to say Reagan had nothing to do with the collapse of the Soviet Union is stupid. Yes, the USSR was on a downward spiral by the beginning of the 1980s, but they were still around.
DEATH ROW JOE

Post by DEATH ROW JOE »

Civil_war wrote:Rollback continued under Reagan.
LMFAO, so now it "continued" under Reagan.

Before you said this:

"it was under Reagan that the rollback policy was adopted."
Civil_war wrote:And I have no problem reiterating my point
Saying something stupid twice makes you dumber, not correct. Since you're a dumb ass, you would not know that.
Civil_war wrote:to say Reagan had nothing to do with the collapse of the Soviet Union is stupid. Yes, the USSR was on a downward spiral by the beginning of the 1980s, but they were still around.
No, what is stupid is you repeating a claim without backing it up in any way. If you want to support your statement, explain how Reagan was responsible for the rollback in the satellite states. Good luck because there is no evidence of it.

I gave you a pat on the head and a pinch on a cheek for knowing a cold war word but you absolutely know nothing about the cold war. You're parroting Fox News crap. Giving Reagan the responsibility for ending the cold war is something that started during the 96 presidential campaign and Fox was the driver of that story. They used a Thatcher quote and ran with it.

At the time, Reagan was not given credit. You're obviously too young to have been around in the late 80s when these events took place.
Civil_war

Post by Civil_war »

DEATH ROW JOE wrote:
Civil_war wrote:Rollback continued under Reagan.
LMFAO, so not it continued under Reagan.

Before you said this:

"it was under Reagan that the rollback policy was adopted."
Civil_war wrote:And I have no problem reiterating my point
Saying something stupid twice makes you dumber, not correct. Since you're a dumb ass, you would not know that.
Civil_war wrote:to say Reagan had nothing to do with the collapse of the Soviet Union is stupid. Yes, the USSR was on a downward spiral by the beginning of the 1980s, but they were still around.
No, what is stupid is you repeating a claim without backing it up in any way.

I gave you a pat on the head and a pinch on a cheek for knowing a cold war word but you absolutely know nothing about the cold war.

Sit down and shut the fuck up.

In all honesty, all my shit is packed up, because I'm moving, and I couldn't refer to any of my books to make an argument. I will gladly concede that I didn't know what I was talking about there. You can't fault a guy for trying...

With that said, I need some sort of distraction from all this...

ONE MORE TIME FOR THE WORLD!!!

TravisBicklesMohawk
Headlining a Theater Tour

Post by TravisBicklesMohawk »

Ronald Reagan gets credit for doing a lot of things that he NEVER actually did. Freeing the hostages being a perfect example.

Fun to watch all of you Reaganites crash and burn when the truth comes out though.
The Tao of Pooh
Image Image
tin00can
Headlining Clubs

Post by tin00can »

brotherplanet wrote:Garry Kasparov: I'd Still Be a Soviet Citizen if Obama Had Been President Instead of Reagan

On February 22nd, former world chess champion and political activist Garry Kasparov intimated that if Barack Obama had been president instead of Ronald Reagan, the Soviet Union would still exist.

https://www.google.com/search?q=I%27ve+ ... channel=sb

Of course he would be. Obama was 19-27 when Reagan was president so if Obama had been president then, there would have been something seriously wrong with the USA and Russia would have had essentially free reign on the rest of the world.

Fucking stupid Russians, restating the obvious.